Survival Missions

Darkneblade

I still want this though i can compromise to unlimited enemies. example : you defeat full room of weak mobs and another room spawns average mobs or huge amount of weak mobs.And mission diffuculty gets higher higher...

Edited by Darkneblade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Pathing could be done with huge aoe taunt aura (mission holder) i think. There are examples like Signature Mission: Pandora Part 4. Or Snake Fest Arc on villain side last mission last room, it got full of snake eggs that takes ages to defeat because half of them are bosses(didn't try it out that with other AT's aside from troller), It was super fun all you have to do is walk on them they hatch and they follow you forever. Or Heist missions (but they are ambushes so they don't count i think)

Edited by Darkneblade
  • Like 1

This sounds like it could be quite fun. I'd rather fewer-but-trickier enemies, rather than an unending sea of chumps to mow down (bonus being less taxing on the server). Be nice to have merits as a reward for completing waves (at least in a non-custom mode), with greater rewards further in (to encourage people to try to go further, rather than cycling the beginning)

The 'official' mode shouldn't be part of AE, though, and have at least some story surrounding it, to give it a bit more pizzazz.

I looked through this tread again and have some new thoughts:

I think rounds (like nazi zombies or the gears of war survival) would be best with 10-20 seconds between rounds (think terra volta respec, the waiting added suspense).  I think the map should be very small, smaller than the asteroid farm map so you wouldn't need to worry about hiders.  I've been told (no idea if its true) that a cut scene allows the game to "reset" the map.  If so, maybe that would cause less stress on the server?  I would love to see most/all enemy groups involved, and maybe some custom ones.  Just adding levels/buffing bad guys or putting players under constant debuff wouldn't be as interesting as different enemy groups that may require tactics change.  

I'm done until I think of something else.

• Like 1

For rewards I think merits will be go for starters. On easy mode every 5 rounds you get 1 merits on round 10 however you get 2 merits on round 15 , 3 merits so on. Normal mode , Every 5 rounds 1 merits with multiplier of 2. At round 10 you get 2 merits but on round 15 you get 4 merits and so on. Hard mode Every 5 rounds 2 merits with multiplier of 2 again. On Nightmare mode every 5 rounds 3 merits with multipler of 3. On every 5 rounds there could be AV or Elite boss or GM depending on diffuculty.

3 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Leaderboard would be the best reward/incentive for me. 

Your leaderboard speak got me thinking of Diablo 3.  For COX HC to incentivize leaderboards, we could add rewards (IOs, exp, inf, different coloured name, cosmetic reward pieces, etc) for the number of mobs/waves defeated.

You could add modifiers to mobs and/or maps like in Path of Exile map modifiers (X amount of constant damage, all melee damage is halved, recover only 1/2 the normal rate of end) and cycle this every week for new mob types/modifiers/maps.  Hell, you could even remove incarnate powers as a modifier (Alpha slot rendered useless, etc)

Thoughts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 0th Power said:

some ideas - Every x number of rounds:

everyone loses a random primary/secondary power

Get a constant debuff 

lose a level

Was gonna suggest just that.  Every round, lose 2 levels (force exemp'ing to lose whatever power you lose with levels) until at round 25 you've completed depowered back to level 1 while the mobs (also de-leveling with you) are still boss/EB/AV/GM levels. 

The above type of map modifier would give a pseudo-vanilla COH experience (which is what some other posters requested) such that at around level 8-10 people would recall their Perez Park street sweeping days of wiping against a group of 3-4 boss mobs of Lost/Vaz

Edit: Added tons of ideas below

- Regenerate This: All End recovery and HP regen is halved (thus requiring defender/controller level team buffs)

- Get Help!: Self heals, inspirations and Regen does not work.  You may regen HP only via other players buffs or direct heals (thus requiring defender/controller/corrupter/PB heal-other-power heals)

- Knock knock.  Who's there?: Deal 200% damage to all mobs at least 10 yards away. Deal 50% damage to all mobs closer to you than 10 yards. (this would be paradise for soft/hard control and repel/knockback lovers, and remove brootlock/scrapperlock)

- Vanilla Incarnate: Remove selected/all incarnate powers as the levels progress. (this would reward the vanilla-COH players who remember/understand those days and want non-incarnate levels of difficulty while being rewarded)

- Opposite Day: Reverse all the roles with Archetype-wide buffs/debuffs.  For example, all brutes/tanks --> melee glass cannons via huge damage buffs but large def/resist debuffs, all blasters/scrappers --> tanks via large damage debuffs and large def/resist buffs, all controllers/dominators --> damage dealers via large damage buffs and huge debuff to the magnitude of their CC

- Working As Intended: Disable all IO set bonuses and incarnate powers. (this is the real vanilla icecream like mom made it)

- Control Freak: All mobs are immune to crowd control via purple triangles 24/7, except brute/tanker punchvoke, and can dish out tons of CC through random powersets such as controller primary powers, etc. 

- Unstoppable force: All players have 0 resists regardless of buffs/inspirations = All mobs do damage that is unaffected by resists (thus needing/rewarding crowd control to avoid one-shotting tanks)

- Defenseless: All players have 0 defense regardless of buffs/inspirations = All mobs never miss (via +999% to hit) (thus needing/rewarding crowd control/heals)

- Soup of the day: Mobs get random powers ranging from T9s  (no Moment of glory please) to Incarnate Judgement (reserved for ever 5th level, or every 10th level, etc), to enemy teleport like Chimera in the incarnate trial

- Construct Additional Pylons: Destroy Rikti pylons with increasing damage/+to Hit (for all the scrapperlock/DPS oriented lovers so that they have an official leaderboard and recognition for it)

- The Slivers: Each mob gives a different team-wide buff to other mobs and can include all kinds of primaries/secondaries/Ancillary/Epic power pools (thus rewarding CC, sleeping, taunting for prioritization)

- Zombies: Reduce all player movement speed to 100% normal regardless of movement buffs and there is no hover/jumping. Increase aggro of squishes from 100% to brute/tanker levels 400% and decrease punchvoke of brute/tanker to 100%.  Mobs are immune to crowd control via purple triangles.  Make the map 1 room, or 1 hallway.  As level increases, make a spawn on both ends of the hallway.  This would act like a "wave of zombies" targeting the squishies first.

Edited by Obus Form
Math 50/2 = 25. Also, tons of ideas
  • Like 4

Double posting because previous post was too large.

What if, it was like "Choose Your Own Adventure" in the Hearthstone style of advancement?

Every 2-3 waves, aside from increasing mob difficulty via con/level shift/powers/purple triangles, etc, give players the ability to choose:

- Choose their own buffs (like the rewards from Death from Below)

- Choose debuffs on themselves (if we choose this route)

- Choose mob buffs (something impactful like + T9s, or increase Mag on controls, etc)

- Choose the power they lose (if we go this route), etc

• Like 2

If there is no story content related to this I can suggest batallion content. We know batallion is coming so we have to prepare right ? Simulations could work like that you are going to prepare against batallion but to do that you have to survive any conditions so that equals to survival missions. Badges may include Just like the simulations for giggles.

Edited by Darkneblade
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, Darkneblade said:

If there is no story content related to this I can suggest batallion content. We know batallion is coming so we have to prepare right ? Simulations could work like that you are going to prepare against batallion but to do that you have to survive any conditions so that equals to survival missions. Badges may include Just like the simulations for giggles.

This reminds of WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion raid, Argent Tournament.

The story premise of Argent Tournament raid patch was a tournament to find the strongest players (and of course gear up players) suited to fight the Lich King in the next patch update.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

Sorry for bumping but I have another idea

Defend the Earth from Invaders!

So for this mission we are going to space. On space there will be space station for earthlings that supplies us with life support system (oxygen etc). Cost could be merits or influence.

Earth will have force field that absorbs up to 8 billion HP attack (will regenerate after 60 seconds of non-combat) after force field exhausted, it will not regenerate however.

For first wave we are going to destroy incoming space asteroids. Boring I know but hear me out. They are going straight to earth which damage force field. Each asteroid worth at least elite boss hp for first wave...

And each asteroids can have a chance to grand random amout of merits.

After astroids done there will be rikti. Their battleships could have giant monster HP for first wave (will not regenerate). They send out smaller but annoying ships to space station destroy it for some reason. This is the part you have to protect space station. After you dealt with all rikti ships on space here comes worst part.

Ultra Giant Monster...

It will fly but it will not go on near Earth or space station. Instead it will toss nearby astroids and planets to earth to destroy it for some reason. 

Now here comes to damage parts...

Astroids hit with smash/lethal damage so you can use your tanks to intercept astroids. Or you can use knockback to change its course. Or slow it long enough that planets own system can defeat it. 

Auto : Self : Smash/lethal resistance, Immobilize resistance (instead it will slow it if you hit with immobilize)
Autohit : Only if you are on the way. They apply smash/lethal damage and toss you to who knows where? 100000000000000 knockback distance.

Planets hit with smash/fire damage.... Same situation applies except they are bit resistance to damage and have AV level HP (will not regenerate). 

Auto : Self : Smash/Lethal resistance, Immobilize resistance.
Autohit : Same situation except for smash/fire damage only if you are on the way. Same knockback applies with chance to catch on fire.

Not finished reading all comments so sorry if it's now been said.

The TV respect mission is kind of like this no? Does that stress server? I mean just add something you need to keep alive and make waves harder with different enemies. Just my thought. Love the idea though

I was doing the First Ward arcs earlier today and this kinda thing happens, I cant say I enjoyed it. Not really what I'm looking for in an MMO. In a Tower defense, or a Beat'em Up, or well in other games maybe, not what I'm looking at in an MMO. Now if you want to do this thats fine, but if we could get the 20 ambush in the last mission of Blind Makwa's arc lowered, and there is also a stupid number of ambush's in Master Midnight's arc!

Also I agree that is what Terra Volta is for all intents and purposes.
Lastly... Invasion are survival missions, endless waves of enemies, problem is we are all more powerful then out current level of invasions, because Battalion never came.

Edited by Snowdaze
added an 's' and deleted a random 'k'

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!