Ice Control/?

Mythcreatio

On 11/11/2019 at 7:30 AM, oedipus_tex said:

On the pessimisstic side though, Ice Control was largely designed for a game that no longer exists: where bringing along a teammate with very low damage could be worth it because enemies were dangerous enough that control powers were a necessity. They are still useful, but IMO not like they used to be. I miss that version of the game. (I blame the Destiny incarnate ability personally for making us all just a little too survivable.)

That game is still there.  Just play on mission teams below level 30 or so.  It is the high level game that is terrible and boring.  The low level game is still great fun.

• Like 1

My main on LIVE was Ice/Storm. I played for hours on him. When I first started, I could summon 2 Jacks. It was an awesome powerhouse. When I was nerfed to only 1 Jack, The playstyle was a bit different, but I still really rocked. I took O2 boost to use both for solo play and team play. The combo of Ice Slick, Freezing Rain and Thunderstorm would really debuff the mobs and give way to hours of fun. If I was getting over whelmed, I'd just hit Thunder Clap and stun them for a quick retreat and regroup. I have attempted to revisit his build again, but with all the new options, I find myself skipping around and not really leveling anyone build, but doing a couple of levels before running onto the next ALT. 

I will get back to him soon, he's up at #3 on the rotation once again.

I have an Ice/Storm up to 48 right now.  The early levels were a nightmare of endurance management but has since leveled out with proper enhancement selection.   Storm really shores up the anemic damage of ice and both have nice soft control options that you can deploy while you wait for your hard holds to recharge.  That, and once you get the 1-2-3 punch of Jack Frost, Tornado, and Lightning Storm you create a beautiful, deadly mess on the battlefield.  Just make sure you invest lavishly in KB>KD IO's if you take this route.  Frostbite goes a long way to limit the KB, but there will be times when it is on recharge and you'll want your tornado/lightning storm/gale to not piss off your teammates.  Just my two cents.  That said, it's still a build in progress and I'm happy to take suggestions.

• 3 weeks later

I ran an Ice/Rad on live a looong time ago.  It was a great group toon and was my go-to whenever someone wanted to run a MoSTF (now Liberty TF). Everything slowed to a crawl with Artic Air and the various ice/rad debuffs.  I didn't have problems with end because there was always a kin or emp around.  I skipped fallout, em pulse, and mutation on rad; and frostbite, flash freeze, and glacier on ice.  Shiver is sneaky good paired with Artic Air.  

Having said that, I don't know if I'll recreate him.  He's horrible for solo and doesn't really get past end issues until end game. Since current end game seems to rely more on output dps rather than slowing incoming dps, I feel like a he's a build that the game grew out of.  But you can bet if some new group TF came along that needs massive debuffs, I'm dusting him off and leveling him asap.