The Current PUG Meta (aka ramblings of an old man)

Gulbasaur

11 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Oh get over yourself... nobody has even implied any of that crap that just spewed out of your mouth. Grow up, dude.

Posters here have said just these things from my PoV.

You simply look at the statements is a very different light than I do, as we have discussed.

Your ageist attack simply shows me that there are still plenty of people that you and others want to silence because we see this in a different light.

You and others want everyone to sit down and shut up and play your way and tell us that what we are doing for fun is wrong.

Not going to happen.

I am fully grown up enough to recognise people that want the rest of the world to stop changing because they cannot keep up...and not afraid to call them out on it when they decide to try slow the rest of us down.

You have already stated the meta means little to you and I have already told you it's all that matters to me.

Perhaps you should 'grow up' and remember the mature outlook you have stated you have so that we can converse like adults.

This kind of post simply shows how hollow your own acceptance of opposing outlooks really is. IMO.

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling and tippos

1 minute ago, jubakumbi said:

Posters here have said just these things from my PoV.

You simply look at the statements is a very different light than I do, as we have discussed.

Your ageist attack simply shows me that there are still plenty of people that you and others want to silence because we see this in a different light.

You and others want everyone to sit down and shut up and play your way and tell us that what we are doing for fun is wrong.

Not going to happen.

I am fully grown up enough to recognise people that want the rest of the world to stop changing because they cannot keep up...and not afraid to call them out on it when they decide to try slow threst of us down.

You have already stated the meta means little to you and I have already told you it's all that matters to me.

Perhaps you should 'grow up' and remember the mature outlook you have stated you have so that we can converse like adults.

This kind of post simply shows how hollow your own acceptance of opposing outlooks really is. IMO.

Straw man. All of it. Get over yourself. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Straw man. All of it. Get over yourself. 

I guess the only real response left to such eloquent prose is, "No u!".

So, RIP, I guess, for your "no hard feelings, we just see things differently outlook".

As the saying implies, you can't really know someone fully until you play games with them.

4 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I guess the only real response left to such eloquent prose is, "No u!".

So, RIP, I guess, for your "no hard feelings, we just see things differently outlook".

As the saying implies, you can't really know someone fully until you play games with them.

No, I just refuse to argue with somebody who puts words in my mouth, then argues against those words. I said nothing that should have set you off, since I never once said you or anyone else should be forced to play by the old school ways. I only suggested that the only way to get the old school game back, was to have somebody create a vanilla version of it. You had no reason to go on your tangent and you are being very overly defensive. And I simply refuse to argue against a straw man. So yes, a few short words calling out your straw man is general the only reply you will get from me.

• Like 2

• Retired Game Master
On 11/14/2019 at 9:56 AM, Gulbasaur said:

Please don't take anything here super seriously. I'm sure your team is marvellous.

Seems some people didn't read this part. Return to your last few posts and consider if, just perhaps, you're taking something too seriously, reading into something more than may have been intended or mistaking someone's nostalgia for some sort of demand.

And please, be kind to one another.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I don't need to be told how to enjoy my free time by the restrictive rules of others, thanks.

This is a computer game.  What you can do is literally encoded in the game.  So you are choosing to have your free time be controlled by the restrictive rules of others.  What you are really saying is that you like the current set of rules and do not want them changed.  That is a valid position.  But you are pretending that this is an argument about freedom versus rules when it is really a question of who determines the rules - you or someone else.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

You may kiss the ring.

I mained a kinetics defender back in the day. An attitude like that is how you run out of endurance.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Haha 5
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 minute ago, Myrmidon said:

Willpower doesn’t have endurance issues.🤣

You young powersets and your newfangled quality of life powers.

Back in my day...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

• Retired Game Master
3 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

You young powersets and your newfangled quality of life powers.

Back in my day...

You'd have been Regeneration or endurance starved! Oh wait Regen was only for scrappers back then.

Then just endurance starved!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OP has a severe case of rose-colored glasses.

If you want edge-of-your-seat every-fight-to-the-death scene, you need to go back to the days right after ED and before IOs. Jack's paradise: one hero = three minions. 

When IOs hit, you could put together a team of scrappers and beat 90% of content. So much for team comp. Scrappers soloed stuff just like they do now. Illusion controllers did too. Sure, you could not reliably solo task forces, but otherwise there was a lot of content that could be soloed by the right character. Now the only difference is that more characters can do it because of improved inherents and incarnates.

I for one don't miss the near-mandatory teaming. I love being able to solo group content at my pace and actually read stuff, and have a chance to digest what is happening. Because even in the good old days group runs were always GOGOGOGOGOGO. Now they are GOGOGOGOGOGO times a hundred. This is an MMO in 2019, nobody has the time anymore, nobody has patience for others' BS, and everybody is miserable and looking for that dopamine shot from getting stuff done ASAP. Nobody has the time for you  to read flavor text or discuss what just happened in a cutscene. Them's the breaks.

Soloing in MMO is a valid choice. I fight my own battles but appreciate a bit of socialization in between. Occasional teaming is fine. Teaming all the time, particularly with emphasis on team composition... Nah. I'm too old for that. 

Edited by Extor Prime
  • Like 6

On 11/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, DougGraves said:

It would be cool if there were a server with IO sets and incarnate powers removed.  Leave epic power pools and everything else.  I don't think those are game breaking.

I can't say that this exists, but on Rebirth, the population is so low (well, it was last month, I haven't been back) that there was almost nothing in the auction house to buy and sell. There I was, a fire/fire brute because spines/fire doesn't exist on that server, and I'm level 13 and still using training origin enhancements for my attacks because I can't afford DOs if I want to get SOs at level 22. It's quite nice, having to really work for what you want, until you realize that recruiting for a tf will take a lot of planning and commitment by several other players that you don't yet know. While you can get a level 23 rec/acc perf shifter for 2000 inf, even if you had the converters to turn it into a +end, nobody except the level 40's and up would have the influence to spare to buy it. It's an entirely different experience for someone like me who just flips things until I have enough to get what I want. 

But, it seems I've digressed a bit. The talk about balance is interesting. The problem I see with it is there are some players who are just exceptional. They have fast reflexes, they know the math and no matter what character they play, even with SOs and such, they are going to make you (or me) look just slightly better than mediocre. I don't think it's balance, I think some players are just better at playing the game, The player behind the avatar is the real enhancement. 

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I can't say that this exists, but on Rebirth, the population is so low (well, it was last month, I haven't been back) that there was almost nothing in the auction house to buy and sell. There I was, a fire/fire brute because spines/fire doesn't exist on that server, and I'm level 13 and still using training origin enhancements for my attacks because I can't afford DOs if I want to get SOs at level 22. It's quite nice, having to really work for what you want, until you realize that recruiting for a tf will take a lot of planning and commitment by several other players that you don't yet know. While you can get a level 23 rec/acc perf shifter for 2000 inf, even if you had the converters to turn it into a +end, nobody except the level 40's and up would have the influence to spare to buy it. It's an entirely different experience for someone like me who just flips things until I have enough to get what I want. 

But, it seems I've digressed a bit. The talk about balance is interesting. The problem I see with it is there are some players who are just exceptional. They have fast reflexes, they know the math and no matter what character they play, even with SOs and such, they are going to make you (or me) look just slightly better than mediocre. I don't think it's balance, I think some players are just better at playing the game, The player behind the avatar is the real enhancement. 

The bolded should be on a coffee mug and sold in stores.

• Like 3

I share some of this sentiment, which is why I mostly solo and only team for TFs, monsters, and events.  Many PUGs don't say much, if I wanted silence I wouldn't have joined*. Higher level PUGs destroy stuff so fast that my token lag has me corpse blasting most of the time and I wonder why I'm here (on the PUG). I'll quit after the mission and go back to soloing when I actually get to hit something (sometimes.. damn RNG).

* I do like the RP PUGS, even if I'm not one to say much; there is usually at least some chatting going on

I brought this up in another thread.  I feel pretty much the same as the OP, but rather than detail the problem I just called it all power creep and proposed the following solution: smaller teams.   I suggest you play the level 50 TFs on +4x8 but don't fill the team.  Play on a team of 3-5 players.  You might still steamroll some missions, but nobody is just standing there as a spectator.  This way you don't have to artificially place limitations on your build and still face challenges where everyone's contribution matters.

Of course, the only way to do this is to form your own teams.  And then you need to find some like-minded people to agree to play on a short-handed slower moving team.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

ack *cough* ack.. it's hard to get this out.. I agree with @Shred Monkey's post above. 😉

To the original post, @Gulbasaur we do have a lot more flexibility in this version of the game. We really can can set it up to fit our play-style. I do appreciate that about the current effort. 

If you are trooly seeking out a specific experience it should be available and there are likely some other folks of a similar mind. If the player base continues to grow it will be easier to find those folks.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Despite negative nancys and naysayers, I think the forums are a good option to try to find those folks.  Maybe try posting in the forum for your shard and see if you can get some buddies who like small teams or SO only builds or what-have-you.  Also keep your eye on the help channel in-game, I have met some wonderful people there.  I did find an indom global channel (that's where I play) but nobody ever seems to use it so those global server channels may or may not help you find like minded folks but definitely worth checking out.   

I have to say, I've had a great time with most of the PUGs I've joined on Everlasting. I've met some really fun people... A couple of assholes? Sure. That's inevitable, humans being like we are. But for the most part it's been good fun, chaos and all.

/salutes, grabs her Time defender and jumps into the middle of the next massive pile of goons, right beside some crazy gnome of a scrapper with a sword twice as tall as he is. XD

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I have to say, I've had a great time with most of the PUGs I've joined on Everlasting. I've met some really fun people... A couple of assholes? Sure. That's inevitable, humans being like we are. But for the most part it's been good fun, chaos and all.

/salutes, grabs her Time defender and jumps into the middle of the next massive pile of goons, right beside some crazy gnome of a scrapper with a sword twice as tall as he is. XD

Yeah, 90% of the groups I've played with have been pretty good. I do tend to start my own, though, making it super clear than even lowbies are welcome, which tends to put off people who only value efficiency. Setting your expectations early (not a speed run, not stealthing unless we have to, anyone is welcome who can get to the door) helps.

Edited by Gulbasaur

Old man here. I really have no issue with any teams I have been on. Some require more strategic approaches depending on the composition of the team. 

My biggest issue is with the absolute sillyness of Rikti Mothership Raids. It absolutely doesnt matter what you do. You don't know who you're even targeting, it doesn't really matter just stand in the middle and collect XP. But my best friend in this game loves doing them. It's his go to thing to do. When I can coerce him to join me in some old school 2 man team ups, that's when I have my fun. But, whatever....end rant.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty