Tell us. What's your favorite Scrapper combo?

Crowcus Pocus

I currently have three level 50 scrappers on Homecoming:

Kinetic/Rad is currently my favorite.  Was originally made as a speedster concept, which really doesn't work well in game.   Works well at all levels.  Fast recharging AoE and solid ST damage.  Brings a lot of utility to teams - this is my healing scrapper. 

Titan Weapons/Willpower.  First scrapper I rolled n HC.  Quite fun at level 50, but a pain to get there.  Does not exemp down well.  Talk of nerfing Titan Weapons has somewhat discouraged my interest in this character; no point in putting a lot of work into her if she's only going to be stripped and discarded. 

Fire/Regen,  Recreation of an old live character.  Slowly unlocking her incarnates, but her real purpose is farming lower level task forces.  Frankenslotted with random stuff.  Not tough enough for endgame content.  Plays like a dream on Synapse, though. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

12 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Story: Ran with a team doing DA Repeatables last night and kept experiencing something that I seem to only ever run into with high-recharge TW based toons where abilities never seem to go off quite right. I can que it up, but the server kind of just hangs on it for a tick or two before going "Oh, right, yeah..." So there I was, bolting into a spawn of Banished Pantheon full of Bosses, Shadow Meld activated on the way in and I landed Arc of Destruction and Whirling Blades before the alpha started sinking deeper and I qued up Dull Pain as it had just popped as I ran in. And I sat there going "???" and I died.

Now, I'm all for accepting a death because I screwed up, or I wasn't paying attention, but when the server denies me an activation, that sucks.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

DM/DA - first 50 on live, first 50 on Homecoming

Others I've enjoyed:

Claws/WP

BS/WP

DM/Regen

Spines/Regen

and I just got a Staff/Regen to 50

I did have a level 50 MA/Inv on live, but that was royal pain to level and it made the end management for a DM/DA look easy. Once he was leveled and slotted with sets he was fun, but not one I plan on rolling again. YMMV

On live (Virtue!), I ran a DM/SR (Nightstick) for the longest time.  Amazingly, I never made 50;  I kept getting pulled to my Kin/Rad defender (Synch), but I loved him all the same.

Now, I'm running a StJ/Nin (Zengine on Everlasting) and having an absolute blast.  I finally figured out that the thing I love about CoH is the mobility you have as a character, and running Ninjutsu with Shinobi-iri, Ninja Run, and Sprint all on is a real treat.  I spend hours just hopping around Kings Row rooftops, trying to do laps without touching the ground.  😎

• Haha 2

wm/bio because it's basically just slightly less good tw/bio in terms of output and nobody plays it so i get to feel like a special snowflake still

you have similar-ish output to TW without any of the awkward feeling downtime or drawbacks of the momentum system when they do pop up.

it doesn't run the risk of being nerfed like TW, and it's monstrously stable at the expense of not being as dynamic (and fun) to play as TW.

whiffed clobber? no problem! just shatter! whiffed shatter? no problem, just jawbreaker!

got a crowd around you? hit that crowd control! that whiffs? hit shatter or whirling mace, and then crowd control again!

i genuinely don't understand why it's so good in comparison to all the other weapon sets, it's so bizarre. multiple superior damage attacks, an absolutely outrageous extreme damage attack.. nonstop knockup/knockdown/stun on stuff.. i actually have no idea how this set and BA were even supposed to be comparable when BA is so lackluster.

i'd be very curious to see how SS on a scrapper performed vs. WM for battle of second place, honestly - i've got this gut feeling that SS might lose out just 'cuz of it's lack of stability/smoothness from it's crash in comparison to WM just hitting buttons

edit:

the crazy part is, i think i get why mace isn't played that much- and it's just that... well, maces aren't as cool as axes! or swords! or katanas!

if i could get battleaxe with the literal same output then i'd switch to that in a heartbeat!

Edited by Kanil
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 7:26 AM, Kanil said:

wm/bio because it's basically just slightly less good tw/bio in terms of output and nobody plays it so i get to feel like a special snowflake still

you have similar-ish output to TW without any of the awkward feeling downtime or drawbacks of the momentum system when they do pop up.

it doesn't run the risk of being nerfed like TW, and it's monstrously stable at the expense of not being as dynamic (and fun) to play as TW.

whiffed clobber? no problem! just shatter! whiffed shatter? no problem, just jawbreaker!

got a crowd around you? hit that crowd control! that whiffs? hit shatter or whirling mace, and then crowd control again!

i genuinely don't understand why it's so good in comparison to all the other weapon sets, it's so bizarre. multiple superior damage attacks, an absolutely outrageous extreme damage attack.. nonstop knockup/knockdown/stun on stuff.. i actually have no idea how this set and BA were even supposed to be comparable when BA is so lackluster.

i'd be very curious to see how SS on a scrapper performed vs. WM for battle of second place, honestly - i've got this gut feeling that SS might lose out just 'cuz of it's lack of stability/smoothness from it's crash in comparison to WM just hitting buttons

edit:

the crazy part is, i think i get why mace isn't played that much- and it's just that... well, maces aren't as cool as axes! or swords! or katanas!

if i could get battleaxe with the literal same output then i'd switch to that in a heartbeat!

War Mace is definitely underrated and you are probably right, mace is just a harder theme to go with for most.  There are some interesting weapon costume options for it beyond just maces though.  I do remember it used to underperform and was then buffed, so some might still have an outdated impression of it too.

13 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

War Mace is definitely underrated and you are probably right, mace is just a harder theme to go with for most.  There are some interesting weapon costume options for it beyond just maces though.  I do remember it used to underperform and was then buffed, so some might still have an outdated impression of it too.

I can't remember when it was buff but it was after willpower came out. I had a WP/WM tank I played a little then it got buff and well I still didn't play it. I might remake him now as a scrapper. He was a baseball player using the bat option. I think you're right people don't remember it being good and don't really look at the type of weapons you can use with it. 

• Like 1

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"- Chesty Puller US Marine Corps

18 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

I had a War Mace Tanker on live, I based him off of an enemy character in the MMO Anarchy Online. I never got tired of playing him, I solo'd him to 50, BEFORE the buff. It took FOREVER, but I didn't mind.

Edited by NNDeepdish

DM/SD was my favorite on live, she was the first Scrapper I rerolled on Homecoming, and is so far my only level 50 Scrapper.  Still awesome.

I've rerolled my second-favorite from live, DB/SR. which is no fun right now because I'm level 15 so the toggles do nothing and I have no end.  BUT, I do have a chainsaw now, which I didn't have on live, and there are a whole bunch of other new swords for me to play with.  (Yes, the coolness of the weapon options greatly increase my ranking of a powerset.  I originally rolled a DM/SD because I wanted to use the cool shields, and took DM for the self-heal.  And then it turned out to be an FOTM, because it is awesome.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oOStaticOo said:

Elec/Shields

Mobs?  What mobs?  I don't see any mobs.

It's a great combo, I have it as a Stalker and clear the Comicon asteroid map set x8 in around 5 minutes.  Build Up/LR/SC/Fire Ball kills most of a spawn in around 5 seconds, Thunder Strike/Chain Induction keep the AOE rolling with another Fire Ball on the next spawn then LR/SC/Fire Ball is ready again on the following spawn.  I currently have 155% recharge so LR & SC come back in about 25 seconds.

"Would you like a side of BOOOOOOM with that sir?"

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

For me it’s Claws/Willpower.

Willpower works for me because it’s such a fire-and-forget set... put your 4 toggles on and pop your t9 early because it’s best at mitigating damage over time vs. mitigating spikes and it’s “crash” is negligible.

Willpower also shines for me in late game where many enemies exploit the common psychic hole and suck endurance to make them more dangerous. Willpower is one of the best for mitigating Psi damage with both resistance and defense against it and most end-drain attacks are tagged as energy which Willpower mitigates with defense (no hit means no End drain) and the extra helping of recovery means even draining hits are less potent. It also has a hefty dose of Regen so even the Pratorian plasma attacks with their -regen aren’t as effective.

I find it pairs particularly well with claws’ quick, low endurance cost attacks as it makes -recharge less of a hassle and further mitigates the -end/-recovery effects.

Most of claws’ powers recharge fast enough with just normal slotting that you don’t need to go after +recharge set bonuses quite so hard either (and WPs t9 isn’t affected by recharge); which saves a bundle on IOs.

Claws benefits from two early attack powers that make it easier to hit your targets... in the levels before SOs these are godsends.

Claws also gets it’s 40’ and PBAOE early enough that you’ve got your main anti-runner and large spawn tools even at very low levels (i.e. even exemped down to the teens).

My preferred ancillary is definitely blaze... slot the immobilize for damage, then add fire blast and fireball to claws’ ranged and ranged cone attacks and you’ve got a reasonable ranged attack chain for those situations when you need one (like keeping up the attack while avoiding red circles of doom).

IO set-wise I lean towards Mako’s Bite and Thunderstrike because of the great synergy with Willpower since they add considerably to WP’s the already meaningful energy/negative energy defense and the ranged defense cuts down on damage from targets outside the effect of your Rise to the Challenge (who’s hit debuff is effectively +defense vs. attacks made at melee range... in addition to boosting your regen).

The combo of simple quick attacks with several good AoEs and that make opponents easier to hit coupled layered defenses that scale with the number of mobs in melee range and don’t have to manage is pretty much my platonic ideal of Scapperdom.

My current DB/WP Scrapper is my main and she's a lot of fun.   Mostly kitted out and I have a good rhythm for the combos.

I am missing my Claws scrapper, so recently rolled up Claws/WP, but working on some other ATs for the time being

I do have a Psi/Regen that I'm also working on and I'll have to say while sometimes it's a bit clunky, but I did note that some mobs get cut down pretty well.

Edited by lemming

So, my main is Spines/Ice (on Live it was Kat/Regen, loved the toon, but he was hamstrung in top end). Absolutely LUDICROUS what I can do with him.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, Mr.Sinister said:

That said, I have a spines/ice that I find real fun.  /ice is currently one of my favorite armor sets because it’s not overly strong and has some clicks that make me feel like I’m contributing to my own survival.  Just couldn’t get into it without the minimal fx though. 

Was excited to see another Spines/Ice in this thread, it is NOT common.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, Shred Monkey said:

Technically... ...let's be honest.  If I'm at the keyboard, it's a scrapper.

Shred said it best, though. Scrapper is not an AT. It is a play/lifestyle.

Edited by Eran Rist
Quoting!

Death is the best debuff.

I did not author this.  I remember reading this, and I found it reposted elsewhere.  But, someone asked for it and I remembered it very, very fondly, so I went looking for it:

On the Care and Feeding of Your Scrapper (V2.0)

So, you've decided to make a scrapper a part of your team, congratulations! Not everyone is suited for the time and care required by a scrapper, however, so it is necessary to understand your scrapper in order to gain the most appreciation and enjoyment from your association. So, before you enter into such a commitment, do your research! Make sure this is the right thing for you!

Section 1: Varieties

Many people will tell you that the most important choice in a scrapper is his inherent powers. Some will tell you a Spines is better than one with Claws, or those who demonstrate tool-using abilities are favored over those who simply use the gifts of Nature in their work. Still others will argue that the scrapper's gifts of survival are more important; that those who can reduce or avoid damage are inferior to those who have learned the abilities to heal more rapidly (and thus, reduce trips to the vet for cases of the snuffles).

This is, in a word, untrue. The scrapper is a creature which, by nature, thrives in the madness of melee combat, and the method of that survival is irrelevant provided they have learned HOW to survive. The different varieties of scrapper, therefore, are more a psychological matter than physiological. In general, there are three main varieties of scrapper:

1. The Wild or Savage Scrapper (Scrappus Devastatus, sometimes known as Scrappus Solous): The Wild Scrapper is a truly unique creature, and the second most rare type of scrapper. Scrappus Devastatus is the scrapper which has never teamed to any significant degree, and is utterly unprepared for the dynamic of a team. The Savage Scrapper is so completely rare due to the nature of Task Forces and Trials: situations which force a team experience upon anyone who attempt to take them on. The solution for Scrappus Devastatus is obvious; he can opt to avoid them entirely, which is more common, or, in a particularly aberrant and extreme example, will ask others to join him solely for the purpose of starting the Task Force, which he will then proceed to finish alone. A similar difficulty for Scrappus Devastatus is the existence of the Arch Villain, that most notorious of opponent. These adversaries are inevitably met by one of three responses: He is either avoided entire, much to the scrapper's annoyance; he is taken on in a straight up-fight, which will either send the scrapper to the hospital, repeatedly, or else serve as a point of pride throughout the scrapper's career, or he will be outlevelled and summarily trounced. Note that this creature is not stupid by any stretch of the imagination. Due to experience as a young hunter, Scrappus Solous has little difficulty knowing when to retreat from a losing battle, and will do so if he feels it necessary.

2. The Feral Scrapper (Scrappus Paranoicus): This variety of scrapper is, by far, the most common of scrappers. The Feral Scrapper is that creature which has soloed for the vast majority of his career, only teaming for one of three reasons. Firstly, a Feral Scrapper may have felt the call of the Task Force, and thus joined in a team fora greater cause. Second, a Feral Scrapper may have run across an Arch Villain and, lacking the patience and utter and complete psychosis of the Savage Scrapper, chose to take the simpler solution and call together a team for the purposes of taking out this annoyance. Third, the Feral Scrapper is not completely without compassion, and he may have taken pity on another archetype which is unsuited to combat without assistance. As a result, the Feral Scrapper often has a good idea of the proper behavior in group settings, though he may take some time to adapt to the new settings.

3. The Civilized Scrapper (Scrappus Domesticus): The Civilized Scrapper, sometimes referred to derisively by the other varieties of scrapper as the "pet" scrapper or the "housescrapper," Scrappus Domesticus is the rarest breed of scrapper, although he is somewhat more likely to be noticed than the other two varieties. Whereas Scrappus Devastatus and Paranoicus avoid teaming unless there is some overriding compulsion, Domesticus has spent his entire career surrounded by other heroes and thrives in social settings. As a result, this breed has developed a "team sense" far in advance of his contemporaries, and is willing to do whatever is required for the good of the team. He is equally content playing the role of tanker or melee powerhouse as he is protecting the less resilient members of the team from stray villains, and whatever role he is given, he will likely still maintain this "guard dog" mentality, should any villains manage to escape him and go after the less offensive members of the team.

A note of Caution: It is IMPERATIVE that you determine exactly what form of scrapper you have adopted. It is not always a simple matter to determine from superficial appearances or short-term experience. There is many a Wild Scrapper who has been mistaken for a Civilized simply because he displays patience in the initial stages of team forming, or is capable of chatting amiably to pass the time. Likewise, it is possible for a Civilized to be mistaken as a Feral or even Savage due to impatience in beginning the task, simply because he is so eager to prove his worth.

Note also that it is possible for a Scrapper to spend time duoing extensively and still maintain his Wild nature. The dynamic of a duo is radically different from a full team, and that a scrapper participates in a long-term, successful duo is only proof that even a Wild Scrapper is capable of adapting to the particular idiosyncrasies of the partner he has taken as his own. Indeed, it is not at all uncommon for the Wild Scrapper, in a display of paternal or maternal instinct, to "adopt" another scrapper or even a "lesser" archetype for protection and guidance.

Section 2. On the Care of Your Scrapper.

Note that Scrappus Domesticus is an inherently team-oriented creature, and most of the following information is, therefore, inapplicable. However, it should be noted that all scrappers are capable of fulfilling many roles, from bodyguard and "boss assassin" to light tanking duties. Therefore, one should not assume that even a Civilized Scrapper automatically knows what you expect of him; in ANY team setting, it is imperative that all members know the proper tactics and roles of all members.

Scrappers tend towards loners and soloists; indeed, many aspire to solo even archvillains by themselves. This is not due to any inherent antisocial nature, rather it is a state of independence and self-sufficiency. Properly cared for, a scrapper can be quite jovial and friendly. The result of this nature, though, means that scrappers are, in many cases either unwilling or unable to admit the need for support on a team.

In recognition of this unusual nature, it is important to follow several guidelines.

1. First one in. In this case, should you have a Tank in your team, it should be made clear to the scrapper that the Tank is the point man. Scrappers are used to being the ONLY person on a team, so when they are ready, everyone is. Likewise, they are used to being the sole point of attention, and many regard themselves as a form of tank, or, more often, as a living blender. In this case, communication is required. Note that this is more pronounced among the Wild Scrappers than the Feral. Ferals will usually take the time to check everyone's health and endurance before charging in, although they will likely be out-of-practice in the beginning of the team experience. Watch your scrapper in the early stages of any team and make sure he knows not to leave until you are ready. It is best to prearrange a signal (such as "ready") so that he will not mistake a pre-fight checkup for being prepared to assault.

2. Defined roles. Also resulting from the scrapper's tendency of soloing is his tendency of thinking of himself as the "everything man." He grabs aggro, destroys bad guys, and in many cases, takes care of healing and buffing himself. In teams, therefore, it is not unusual for a scrapper to play exactly as he would outside a team. Again, communication is critical. First, the scrapper must know what you expect of him, and you must find out what he expects of YOU. This might seem obvious, but I have found that in many teams, the players are so used to the roles of different ATs being so well-defined that the wild-card nature of the scrapper is overlooked. Note that this rule applies even to the Civilized Scrapper, and is a cardinal rule of teaming with a Scrapper of any breed.

3. Scrapperlock. This, then, is probably the most important aspect of the scrapper to account for in a team. Scrapperlock is a nearly-constant and utterly incurable condition. This condition ranges from the need to be smashing thugs nearly constantly to gunning for that ONE GUY that put him down regardless of the cost. As a result of this condition, it is necessary to allow the scrapper to cause havoc in his own fashion. In many cases, this is simple: Scrappers are designed to take on bosses, so let them handle the boss.

However, the issue arises when there is no boss in a particular fight. In this case, blasters take especial note, a scrapper will choose a "lesser" target, usually a Lt, and designate it has his own. It is imperative that no one else fire upon this target AT ALL. This is "the scrapper's;" terminating it or assisting can injure the self-sufficient pride of the scrapper. If "assistance" is rendered repeatedly, disgruntlement can be fostered leading the scrapper to do something dangerous, such as hare off on his own, simply so he can find and terminate a target without interference.

Note that there are three conditions where firing upon the target of a scrapper may be forgiven.
A. If a target is nearly terminated and it would be a waste of both time and endurance to finish the target, it is permissible to finish the target of a scrapper. In many cases, this tendency will around the scrappers paternal or maternal nature; it is not uncommon for scrappers to come to an informal agreement, sometimes unspoken agreement, with a defender for the purposes of terminating nearly-defeated targets. The defender feels that he is contributing to the team, while the scrapper spends more time taking care of the important targets.

B. If a scrapper is taking a long while about terminating his target, to the degree that it is impeding the team, then it is permissible to join in. Note that the scrapper will become annoyed if there are a number of targets still active when a person decides to "help out." If there is another target to engage, do not attack the scrapper's target! Not only does it waste team resources, but a scrapper who is repeatedly "assisted" in this manner will begin to feel that he is not trusted to finish his own chosen targets. This lack of trust can be fatal to a team's cohesiveness.

C. If a scrapper is in extreme danger and may be defeated by his chosen target, it is permissible to fire upon the scrapper's target. Note that it is rare for a scrapper to be outmatched by a single target, and he is more likely to run into trouble by being outmatched by a great many targets. In this case, it is generally more efficient and acceptable to terminate those targets the scrapper is NOT engaging over the one that he is. Regardless, saving a scrapper's butt is rarely something to foster discontent.

Addendum: Massive targets, such as monsters and Archvillains, are fair game. Few scrappers save the most utterly Wild will consider "claiming" one as his own.

Section 3: Misconceptions.

1. The primary misconception for scrappers is "they don't care about debt." There is nothing further than the truth; scrappers of all types are as frustrated and annoyed by debt as anyone else. However, there are some mitigating factors. Firstly, scrappers tend to be used to debt. The joke is that blasters are used to debt, but a smart blaster can quickly learn the art of "snipe and run." in this manner, any blaster can whittle down an overwhelming pack over time to something more manageable with minimal risk.

The same cannot be said of scrappers. In the early game, a scrapper's defenses are no better than a blaster's, and while he may have more hit points, it is nowhere near a tanker's level. Thus, a relatively defenseless scrapper has to charge headlong into melee with multiple enemies and hope he comes out on top. This can produce a wisdom of when to cut and run for a scrapper, as well as how to hunt down the villains on the fringe of a group. It should be noted that this tendency can be a dangerous affair for a Wild scrapper. Unused to the team dynamic and knowing that "running away" is a workable solution, Scrappus Devastatus will often take this solution. This can, obviously, both take the scrapper away from the support of his team and draw bad guys straight toward the team members they should be kept from. Be aware.

However, on teams, scrappers are capable of amazingly heroic feats. Ferals and Civilizeds are usually aware that experience flows heavily on teams, and are thus more willing to make a personal sacrifice for the good of the team, especially since they tend to be more familiar with debt than other types. In truth, it is the time kept from combat that annoys a scrapper more than dealing with debt. A teammate who can teleport and resurrect will go a long way towards ameliorating this issue.

2. A secondary misconception of scrappers is that they're all "freaking psychotic." To that, I can only say, it's true. But it's not true that they're stupidly psychotic; a Scrapper will rarely attempt anything that is beyond his capability. A scrapper, by nature, is a creature that pushes the limits of his capabilities, so he often knows exactly what he is capable of. When he dives into a group of bad guys that should be well above his capabilities, teams often fear for his safety, and rightly so. But on the razor's edge is where a scrapper, especially Devastatus and Paranoicus, belong, and that is where they truly shine. So it is important that a team learn the strengths and nature of their scrapper, as well as the reverse, and learn to trust his judgement. When a scrapper tells you to stand in a certain spot and "let him try something," you might just be surprised.

If you follow these guidelines, you AND your scrapper will lead a longer, healthier, fuller life!

Disclaimer: while this post is intended to be informative and useful, it is also intended to be humorous. Laugh a little.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Oh, and my favorite is what I roll to this day.  MA/SR.

A guide I read years ago written by wiser people said that "The purpose of the MA Scrapper is to flip out and kill people."

It was right then, and it's right now.

SR keeps me standing when others fall down.  I keep Practiced Brawler tied to my "Target Enemy Near" bind to keep it up as I move between targets.  I have Storm Kick on autofire, loaded with the Critical Strikes ATO.   Storm Kick sets them up, and when that Critical Strikes text flies, whatever attack I have ready next takes them out.  SR is cruise control for Scrapperlock, and Scaling Resistance backed with the....Scaling resistances IO and some other set bonii (is bonii the plural of bonus?) fill the gap if my destiny heal isn't up.  I've only been knocked down a couple of times since I full rebuilt back in July, to the Hamidon, to Lady Winter, and to those blue circles in the MoM trial.   Martial arts may not hit as hard as other sets, but it looks cool doing it, and the soft controls and constant target cycling makes me a whirlwind saying "NEXT" every time something gets defeated.

/ahem.

So yeah, MA/SR.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later

My first 50 on live, all the way back in I2 was a DM/Regen. After the repeated nerfs to regen, starting with I3, I just couldn't bear to play him anymore. He was such a fun toon and was never the same. A shell of himself.

I stopped playing around I9. Came back for a bit around I14 and I16, but only briefly. Never took him on a single mission after I3.

I recreated him on Homecoming and he was my third 50 here. Even though he plays nothing like he did in I2, he's still one of my favorite toons. Regen is still a very hardy secondary, and the synergy with Dark Melee is still very effective. No sets at all in this one either, just common IO's.

My favorite though is my Ninja Gaiden scrapper...DB/Nin. Nin lacks the DDR of SR, but it has some cool utility stuff built into it that makes up for it. And I know I'm in the minority here, but DB is a really fun set to play. It's technically effective and it's really cool thematically/stylistically. I just love this toon and I keep logging him in over and over.

I am also pretty high on Psi/Energy ... this was a very fun combo to level, but I haven't done much with him at 50 after slotting alpha. There's some decent synergy with this combo and I love Psi from a thematic perspective.

Recently dinged 50 with a DA/Staff tank. I've never played DA past about 26 on any AT before this and didn't expect to get far with it, but the forms from staff, along with its soft controls, offered some interesting synergistic possibilities. Turned out to be a hella fun combo, and once I got to 38 it left me wishing I had rolled him as a scrapper instead. I probably will in the future because it was a blast to play, but missed the extra damage and crits of scrappers. Takes some strategic slotting early on, but when executed properly DA is arguable the most hardy of all, especially at 40+.

MA/SR...the very first toon I ever rolled on live, never got him to 50 there. Was my second 50 here. Was reminded why I never got him to 50 the first time. IMO this is a combo that sets you up for an extreme level grind. Haven't done much with him at 50 outside of slotting a couple incarnates.

Lvl 50 Claws/Ice ... wasn't my favorite, another level grind, takes a good amount of cash to make as effective as average builds of other combos.

Lvl 50 StJ/Invul ... StJ wasn't my favorite thematically, but it's an effective primary, and it works well with invul. Slotted alpha but not much beyond that.

Currently leveling a 35 elec/shield and 38 wm/bio. I'd recommend wm/shield, as I see there being a lot of synergy there with dmg and soft control. Lvl 33 savage/wp...fun thematically, not totally OP, but fun. 

Also planning a DM/invul, claws/SR, rad/rad, and possibly an ice/fire.

So many combos and so little time.

Edited by SuperDan

On 11/26/2019 at 3:17 PM, NNDeepdish said:

I had a War Mace Tanker on live, I based him off of an enemy character in the MMO Anarchy Online. I never got tired of playing him, I solo'd him to 50, BEFORE the buff. It took FOREVER, but I didn't mind.

Ian Warr?

Gimmeh that HNT

On 12/4/2019 at 2:52 PM, Aracknight said:

Oh, and my favorite is what I roll to this day.  MA/SR.

A guide I read years ago written by wiser people said that "The purpose of the MA Scrapper is to flip out and kill people."

It was right then, and it's right now.

SR keeps me standing when others fall down.  I keep Practiced Brawler tied to my "Target Enemy Near" bind to keep it up as I move between targets.  I have Storm Kick on autofire, loaded with the Critical Strikes ATO.   Storm Kick sets them up, and when that Critical Strikes text flies, whatever attack I have ready next takes them out.  SR is cruise control for Scrapperlock, and Scaling Resistance backed with the....Scaling resistances IO and some other set bonii (is bonii the plural of bonus?) fill the gap if my destiny heal isn't up.  I've only been knocked down a couple of times since I full rebuilt back in July, to the Hamidon, to Lady Winter, and to those blue circles in the MoM trial.   Martial arts may not hit as hard as other sets, but it looks cool doing it, and the soft controls and constant target cycling makes me a whirlwind saying "NEXT" every time something gets defeated.

/ahem.

So yeah, MA/SR.

Galaxy Knight's testing suggests MA hits a lot harder than people think.

I always loved Storm kick's Animation, but then I played a Martial blaster and I like that one even more >.<  would be nice if we could get that as an alternate animation.