"Safe Mode" Client May Be Going Away Soon

Manga

On 11/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Ulysses Dare said:

I hope this is just a rumor, because I crash far too often in anything other than Safe Mode.

I hope so too. Ever since the GUI changes I've need to play in safe mode (using win10 modern computer with 4k screen).

So people upgrading may get similar issues - it's not just old hardware needing safe mode.

Edited by HeroReborn

16 minutes ago, HeroReborn said:

I hope so too. Ever since the GUI changes I've need to play in safe mode (using win10 modern computer with 4k screen).

So people upgrading may get similar issues - it's not just old hardware needing safe mode.

well there is an official announcement so er no it's not a rumour

• Confused 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 minutes ago, HeroReborn said:

Whelp that makes my playtime have a life limit here.

you could do the bug report they are asking for, for the 64-bit client so you don't rely on the old unsupportable game client

Edited by boggo2300

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

• 2 weeks later

hope you can fix my problem .my wife and i can only play in safe mode since it is the only place the game recognize our f310 logitech controller the 32 bit and 64 bit don't .And playing with the keyboard ias not an option for us. plz help and thanks . btw a friend of ours has the same issues except he uses and xbox controller ..again thanks for any help...:)

• City Council

Can you elaborate on "don't recognize"? It doesn't show up in the list when you go to controller options to enable it? Or shows up but doesn't work?

I'm really surprised your friend is having problems... the 64-bit and 32-bit clients have native support for xbox controllers using Microsoft's preferred API for them, and as a result have extra features like vibration support exclusively for xbox controllers that the legacy client (safe mode) lacks.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, GM Widower said:

There are some backend changes we want to make that will break Safe Mode.

Surely there are some numbers on how many folks use safe mode and how many issues are experienced with the other clients.

To be transparent, features being implemented that would 'break' the game for some (many?) should be considered carefully and possibly disclosed.

I've seen some folks post about inevitability of change, leaving some behind, or breaking some eggs. While decent points, my experience is that those steps are often rushed and potentially unnecessary.

I would suggest:

• If truly critical, a transition period and making the time frame very clear when selecting between clients.
  • If less than 30 days or immediately need, a really good explanation / justification.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

oh too late..

I guess this was really well communicated. (or the opposite)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

3 hours ago, Troo said:

Surely there are some numbers on how many folks use safe mode and how many issues are experienced with the other clients.

To be transparent, features being implemented that would 'break' the game for some (many?) should be considered carefully and possibly disclosed.

I've seen some folks post about inevitability of change, leaving some behind, or breaking some eggs. While decent points, my experience is that those steps are often rushed and potentially unnecessary.

I would suggest:

• If truly critical, a transition period and making the time frame very clear when selecting between clients.
  • If less than 30 days or immediately need, a really good explanation / justification.

well it's been 3 months or so, and safe mode client is still there, the final kill it date sounds like it is waiting to see how many people are having issues and still using the legacy client 

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

24 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

well it's been 3 months or so, and safe mode client is still there, the final kill it date sounds like it is waiting to see how many people are having issues and still using the legacy client 

um.. it's been removed as well as the test server link (see screen shot below). The task bar icon was also changed and now resembles a trash can.

7 weeks could be generous, 3 months... maybe it's been discussed in circles, though I didn't see this thread until today.

I'll stick with the announcement Friday evening as the only pinned announcement with Safe Mode in the topic.

image.png.06ea8fc6fb2ccbc8502792ca47e042ec.png

Edited by Troo

9 minutes ago, Troo said:

um.. it's been removed as well as the test server link (see screen shot below). The task bar icon was also changed and now resembles a trash can.

7 weeks could be generous, 3 months... maybe it's been discussed in circles, though I didn't see this thread until today.

I'll stick with the announcement Friday evening as the only pinned announcement with Safe Mode in the topic.

image.png.06ea8fc6fb2ccbc8502792ca47e042ec.png

read the announcement, there is a new manifest for safe mode to make it easier for the devs to see how many people are using it, it's not gone at all, thats been the icon of Tequila since it was written to help people get into Titan Icon, it's a shot glass, safe mode was labelled as "TEMPORARY" from the moment it existed, the very first day it was up it was said to be a temporary solution to keep people playing while their reported bugs were worked on.

PS The beta server has been on it's own separate manifest for quite awhile now

Edited by boggo2300
the ps

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

While some of that maybe true for you. That is not everyone's experience.

My launcher was completely wiped including the taskbar icon that came with it. ( If anyone has the icon it would be great to get back. I think it may have had Statesman on it )

I could likely grab the mac with the non-functional version on it and take some additional pictures for you to argue with.

I used the test server I believe just in early December. Test servers come an go so it's removal was not novel.

23 hours ago, Number Six said:

Can you elaborate on "don't recognize"? It doesn't show up in the list when you go to controller options to enable it? Or shows up but doesn't work?

I'm really surprised your friend is having problems... the 64-bit and 32-bit clients have native support for xbox controllers using Microsoft's preferred API for them, and as a result have extra features like vibration support exclusively for xbox controllers that the legacy client (safe mode) lacks.

i have the 3 option as "default" "joystick" and "original" which is the one i am using in safe mode and it works perfectly if i try to use the 32 or 64 bit when i go in keymapping  and click to make my controller work it just does not work ... at all it is like i am not touching any key on my controller

7 minutes ago, Pappy said:

i have the 3 option as "default" "joystick" and "original" which is the one i am using in safe mode and it works perfectly if i try to use the 32 or 64 bit when i go in keymapping  and click to make my controller work it just does not work ... at all it is like i am not touching any key on my controller

10 minutes ago, Pappy said:

20200106_220407.jpg

• City Council
19 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Not in keymapping, what happens when you click on the controller device option to select it under "Controls"?

controller1.jpg

controller2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pappy said:

just did what u said and went on the 32 bit and guess what    ???? i love u guys IT WORKS !!!!!! but the 64 bit gives me an error "code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dill was not found

put my dual action in it and now all is a-ok thx

While I was on vacation, I installed the 64-bit Wine client on a borrowed computer running 10.14.  It worked, but it worked... badly.

Changing from fullscreen to windowed mode and back in the new client resizes the screen, which in turn moved all my in-game windows (chat, nav, map, etc) around, and I had to move them back every time I switched programs; in the old Cider (aka Legacy or Safe Mode) client, going from fullscreen to windowed mode and back scales the screen instead of resizing it, so the in-game windows don't move around.

The keymapping was way off as well: Control worked the same as in the Cider client, but key combinations involving Option in the Cider client instead use Command in the Wine client, and, more critically, combinations using Command in the Cider client can't be done at all in the Wine client (so I couldn't, for example, combine enhancements, or bring up an info window for a power, or anything else that involves a right-click, since I only had a one-button mouse to work with).

(On top of that, trying to zoom in and out was a crapshoot at best.  I could zoom in and out only if I did large sweeping gestures to zoom me out a million miles or all the way into a first-person view, but I couldn't do smaller subtle adjustments)

All in all, the Wine client feels... looser.  Buggier.  Less stable (in a gameplay sense).

Is there any way to fix these issues in the Wine versions, since the Safe Mode client is not long for this world?  How do people who are playing the 64-bit client on a Mac currently cope with the lack of a right-click, or is there some secret key combination I'm not aware of?

Edited by Williwaw

• Jimmy unpinned and locked this topic