CoHBuilds.com

Ok...I've tried this on my own and have also requested for help on Discord to no avail (Aside from one person whom has been awesome for bouncing ideas off of). So I thought to myself, What is the point of a community if I don't reach out?

I have registered CoHBuilds.com.

Here are my goals:

• One stop shop for all builds. Central database of sorts for builds that can be shared, linked to etc.
  • Registration to manage your builds.
  • Categorized Catalogue.
  • Commenting, Critique and Rating of builds.
  • Upload MXD files directly.

My pie in the sky dreams:

• Either auto-parsing of the build's unique number to create an automatic download button or an easy way to parse the information that creates a build online.
  • Instead of forcing the use of Titan Network's resources, possibly find a way to parse the information bypassing the need for their auto-generating links (If that makes sense?)

I have a teeny tiny bit of experience with web design on the back end but nowhere near enough to achieve any of this on my own. My forte is graphic design so I can make all sorts of things look pretty, but the coding is usually a jumble of snippets from here and there with a little bit of tweaking. I thought Wordpress would be a good jumping point since it's so versatile but I'm getting lost in the sea of unnecessary plugins and themes that don't entirely do what I need.

As it stands, the site is functional and I can paste the HTML code generated by Mids. However, I literally have to go and create a new post and paste the code in manually and that's obviously not at all convenient or user friendly.

So I'm reaching out for a few volunteers who might be able to help me with this undertaking. It would be very much appreciated. CoHBuilds.com is hosted on a VPS so the back end can easily be switched over to whatever would help us accomplish this.

My reasoning for this is simple. It is very time consuming scavenging through a decade worth of builds strewn all around the Internet across numerous sites and forums. If you're interested in helping out, please reach out to me here, via Discord: nekkidtruth#2407 or via email!

Edited by nekkidtruth
Added contact information.
  • Like 1

My only concern is if the forums would then become much less active since most topics are somehow related to build discussion.

But then again, I guess one could share the build from that new platform and still discuss it in HC forums, I guess.

I'm thorn, but I like your initiative!

• Like 1

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

My goal is definitely not meant to take that aspect away. This is more of a place to store all those builds. To play a bit of Devil's Advocate as well...not all servers are hosted here either. So I'd like to offer a way to discuss the builds on site as well if that's reasonable.

I'm very excited to work on this and hopefully provide a solid foundation for not just Homecoming but third party servers as well. There is also the unfortunate reality of multiple version of Mid's/Pine's for multiple servers. This is why I'm hoping to grab some volunteers to help with this significant undertaking!

• Like 1

I am fully open to working with anyone I need to, to get this ball rolling. I think the entire community across the board would benefit from being able to just open up the site, select a category or tag and be given an entire list of builds!

I thought about personally copying an pasting the code for every build I could find online but that is just unreasonable. The amount of time and effort that would entail is just...crazy.

I've no knowledge of Wordpress myself, but have you considered making most of it in Javascript? It's a pretty robust language now after so many years of development and node.js is a huge help with backend communication, though I haven't hosted a website in awhile so you may or may not be able to use that depending on your server-side permissions. I know it's not the same as what your site is trying to achieve, but I've been dabbling in making a web-based mids' myself with electron and have forgone the design of mids' because the UI takes up too much space, but I haven't gotten very far since the holidays take up a lot more of my time than most peoples since I'm flying around a lot (having the ability to fly myself would be a real timesaver haha). I know there's been a couple other people around here making website versions of mids so they might be of some help but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time and they may have lost interest.

I'll reach out in discord when I get an opportunity, but probably won't be very useful until the holidays are over.
Edited by Hopestar

• 2 months later

Could build it like GW2 builds? https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki ?

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club