Suggestion on Dark/Dark slotting

Outrider_01

Playing a Dark/Dark controller.  I am amazed at how fast all the control powers recharge compared to my old fire/kin with out siphon speed running, but the dark set lacks a solid aoe hold.  As everything has a -tohit debuff, the idea floated through my head to use -tohit IOs to floor their ability to hit.  Would this be advisable on most of the powers?  And what IO sets would you recommend?  Just no abbreviations please, its like reading braille translated into binary into hexadecimal into an ancient dead language.  Couple of recommendations, don't need a full list.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Your AOE hold (somewhat) is Fearsome Stare. Lead with that, then follow with Tar Patch and Living Shadows. You can then walk amongst your neutered enemies with ease while they wallow in their own hopelessness. 

Later levels you will enjoy added defense with Shadow Fall and Fade. Then Heart of Darkness and Howling Twilight will stun them to oblivion. At this point you can use Soul Absorption and lay down and take a nap if you like...and dream pleasant dreams of all the teammates you just saved from dangerous harm.

Almost everything in this combo has -tohit. The only things I slot with actual -tohit sets are Dark Servant and Darkest Night. 

If you would like to see my sample build I'd be happy to share.

Edited by Ice_Warden
  • Like 2

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

Cloud Senses x4 in Fearsome Stare, or x6 for the Defense bonus. It's your main defensive power, and slotted for -ToHit along with spamming Living Shadows ends up with a huge ToHit debuff. I don't even use Darkest Night most of the time.

Heart of Darkness is a very rare power, a PBAoE mez power that takes PBAoE sets. I like 4-5 damage procs in it, turning it into a PBAoE mini-nuke with about 300 damage and a solid mez.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Playing a Dark/Dark controller. . . .the dark set lacks a solid aoe hold.  As everything has a -tohit debuff, the idea floated through my head to use -tohit IOs to floor their ability to hit.  Would this be advisable on most of the powers? 

I don't see what's wrong with Shadow Field? I think the power detail info is hard for people to understand. It's an AoE hold that persists and pulses so foes that enter into the area later have a chance to be held too. It's a bit like Volcanic Gasses in Earth. Different, but not bad.

And no I don't think you should slot any of your control powers for -hit other than Fearsome Stare (after you have taken care of your acc, rech, and fear duration needs) which does have an appreciable -to hit element and doesn't need many slots to have it available every fight. Likewise don't skimp on Darkest Night in your secondary.

There's not many -tohit sets, just use what you like.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Ah, I see.  That shadow field sounded like a aoe stun, played a fire/kin way back on live.  As for the -tohit, the cone immobilize recharges so quickly compared to duration I cant think of anything else.

Played a dark/dark defender back on live becore it was a control set, had lots of -tohit both sides in the power sets and mini controller, loved that character but only to about 40 before stopped playing. Way before this OP incarnate and all this in depth story lines.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

• 1 month later

This is the build I use, I normally build my /Dark Affinity Controllers with an offensive approach, so I skipped some powers others might take. Hasten, Soul Absorption, Haunt and Fade are all perma. Soft-cap defense to all.. The Intuition Alpha boosts everything in this set, except for defense debuff because we don't have any. Does pretty respectable damage and like everyone says, you can laugh at everything in your way. I prefer playing my Fire/Dark Controller but this one is a blast!

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(7), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(9), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(11), UnbCns-Dam%(11)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(23), TchoftheN-Heal(25)
Level 2: Shadowy Binds -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Apc-Acc/Rchg(21), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(23)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 8: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(15)
Level 10: Living Shadows -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(27), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), PstBls-Dam%(33)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(33), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(34), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(34), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(34)
Level 14: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19), StdPrt-ResKB(19)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 20: Fade -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(37), HO:Membr(37), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(37), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(40)
Level 22: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25)
Level 26: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 28: Soul Absorption -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(29), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(31), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(31)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), HO:Ribo(36)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(42)
Level 44: Soul Drain -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Arm-Acc/Rchg(45), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Arm-Dam%(46), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(46)
Level 47: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5), Mrc-Rcvry+(5)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(3), PrfShf-End%(3)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Clarion Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Control Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
------------

Mine is mostly defense because I like safety and keeping the team safe...

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Controller
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Affinity
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold
  • (29) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge
  • (50) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 1: Twilight Grasp

• (A) Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (5) Touch of the Nictus - Healing
  • (5) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Healing
  • (15) Touch of the Nictus - Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration/Recharge
  • (40) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration

Level 2: Living Shadows

• (A) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Recharge
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Accuracy/Immobilize/Recharge
  • (36) Gravitational Anchor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (42) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Endurance
  • (42) Gravitational Anchor - Chance for Hold

Level 4: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (9) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 6: Darkest Night

• (A) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (9) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff
  • (31) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (42) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge

Level 8: Fearsome Stare

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized
  • (11) Superior Will of the Controller - Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Recharge
  • (11) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance
  • (43) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Confused/Hold/Immobilize/Sleep/Stun/Terrorized/Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 10: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 12: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 14: Tar Patch

• (15) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Shadow Fall

• (A) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (17) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (19) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (19) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 18: Howling Twilight

Level 20: Fade

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (23) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (23) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (25) Luck of the Gambler - Endurance/Recharge
  • (25) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 22: Heart of Darkness

• (A) Absolute Amazement - Stun
  • (27) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge
  • (27) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge
  • (29) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (48) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun
  • (48) Absolute Amazement - Chance for ToHit Debuff

Level 24: Haunt

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (31) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (31) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 26: Shadow Field

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (33) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (33) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (37) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 28: Soul Absorption

• (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (33) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge
  • (34) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Accuracy
  • (37) Efficacy Adaptor - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

Level 30: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (40) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (43) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance

Level 32: Umbra Beast

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • (45) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 35: Weave

• (46) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (48) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 38: Dark Servant

• (A) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (39) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/ToHitDebuff
  • (39) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (39) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff

Level 41: Indomitable Will

• (45) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge

Level 44: Mind Over Body

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

Level 47: Psionic Tornado

• (A) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (50) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 49: Combat Jumping

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

All on Excelsior. 

Both are pretty viable. in regards to offense/defense. I've just always leaned towards offense since most teams will steamroll content. It's not often on my Dark Affinity Trollers that the team requires further support. Put a Kinetics on the team and you are getting everything you want from just those two support sets. My opinion anyways. I often found myself in animation locks while the team moved on so I started building for pure damage and spam control. One thing I might add is trying to find a way to slot some resistance in Fade and prioritizing Regen in Soul Absorption. Even with no end mod enhancers, 2-3 stacks will give you more than enough end recovery, but your regen will be lacking. 

Pure offense works on MOST content. But when the feces hits the fan in the end game content it will make a huge difference slotting for defense. 

We were on an incarnate mission in DA to destroy MOT at +4/+8 one time and we had some guys that only just hit incarnate level. After a good 15mins of battle I was the only one who had not died at least once. Everyone else had been to the hospital and back at least twice. 

I would suggest to the OP when you finally get all the cash saved up to build it out and respec one way or the other. If you are on Excelsior I'd be happy to take you on a few missions to see the power of a fully operational death star 😉

Edited by Ice_Warden
  • Like 2

All on Excelsior. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Warden said:

Pure offense works on MOST content. But when the feces hits the fan in the end game content it will make a huge difference slotting for defense. 

We were on an incarnate mission in DA to destroy MOT at +4/+8 one time and we had some guys that only just hit incarnate level. After a good 15mins of battle I was the only one who had not died at least once. Everyone else had been to the hospital and back at least twice. 

I would suggest to the OP when you finally get all the cash saved up to build it out and respec one way or the other. If you are on Excelsior I'd be happy to take you on a few missions to see the power of a fully operational death star 😉

That would be a blast, I could grab my Fire/Dark Controller too and showcase that combo as well. I think Dark Affinity is one of the best options for Controllers, I have a build for every primary to match with it! I love it that much XD

• Thanks 1