Storm Kick not giving defense bonus

WindDemon21

2 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Ohh. So it is all good for brutes and tanks..but scrappers (who are less survivable in general) dont need it..because..you CAN pick a secondary that is defence based? Again, this makes no sense. None. What if he wants to make a MA/FA scrapper instead? Suddenly the set should have that +def power, just because his secondary cant cover it? Shall we go ahead and remove +def from parry, DA, and the TW power, just on the offchance someone might pair them with a defence secondary?

No it is OP for Brutes and Tanks because the defense bonus is massive to everything except PSI damage.  This means that a tank can have 0 defense to start, take CJ, Weave, Maneuvers and slot the 2 defense IOs and get to 31% defense to everything except non positional Psy damage simply by making sure they throw out the one attack they are going to be using the most.  This is before any set bonuses or defense added from their primary.  Tanks could literally take 1 power from their primary and cap their defense with IO set bonuses combined with those powers and Storm Kick.  Brutes get a smaller bonus and lower modifiers to begin with but 7.5% defense all the time added on to the highest DPA attack in the set is still quite substantial.  I would suggest 0 changes to the Scrapper and Stalker sets and taking away the defense and giving Storm Kick a slightly higher base damage on Tanks and Brutes.  

The other powers are the same across the board and only offer defense to melee and either Smashing or Lethal not both so I have no issues with those. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:47 PM, GM Sijin said:

FYI: The crit chance bonus was converted to defense for Tankers and Brutes when proliferated, as those ATs can't crit. You can disagree with that design decision and offer constructive feedback regarding it, but this is absolutely not an oversight or bug.

5% more crit on one power is not worth the loss of a 7.5% global defense buff. Also, brutes get the defense, AND use of boosting fury when they use the power, and tanks still get aggro with gauntlet from it. There is no reason that scraps and stalkers shouldn't have the defense buff as well, just like all the other +defense powers in melee attack sets are on all ATs. Honestly if you're that worried, remove the 5% more crit it does, nobody is going to miss it versus the global 7.5% defense boost.

To the others, a lot of the conversation geared towards "ma doesn't need it to softcap with ninjitsu" and were totally missing the point of the post. The point is that the defense helped update MA to be more useful and fill a niche since it lacks other things like aoe, I was just using ninjitsu as an example (mostly because i want to pair it with ma for a ninja theme, and the issue being that it would have to be a scrap or stalker, and loses the benefit of the defense currently) of how that defense boost would help, by not needing to slot as many defense boosting IO bonuses.

44 minutes ago, Indystruck said:

It is worth more. You can get global defense buffs from a number of other places, you can't get Crit Bonuses except from a specific ATO. Further, Storm Kick's already the best DPA power in the set, so not only is it great, it's exactly where you want it.

Only you can't for so many things. Sure you can get weave/maneuvers ios etc, but so can any other set in the game, and a lot of times it may not be enough or what you want without devoting most of the entire build to building defense. Once you add those powers and 3% ones to the build, to get that, even to positional, which its much worse for typed, that means you have to devote 6 powers or more to equal that 7.5% defense, some like Makos bite and ToD that take a power 6 slotted as well to do it.

With storm kick having that defense bonus, it would open the build up a lot for slots, powers, and other bonuses like recharge bonuses and procs allowing you to push the build further than a worthless 5% more crit on just the one power.

Heck according to that even, since I'm sure nobody here has even considered using assault, being able to skip weave (and actually get more defense that it does too) and picking up assault would do more for your damage on the build than that 5% crit on one power would do. It would actually do more for just that power alone than the 5% crit does and is more consistent.

Edited by WindDemon21

4 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

5% more crit on one power is not worth the loss of a 7.5% global defense buff. Also, brutes get the defense, AND use of boosting fury when they use the power, and tanks still get aggro with gauntlet from it. There is no reason that scraps and stalkers shouldn't have the defense buff as well, just like all the other +defense powers in melee attack sets are on all ATs. Honestly if you're that worried, remove the 5% more crit it does, nobody is going to miss it versus the global 7.5% defense boost.

To the others, a lot of the conversation geared towards "ma doesn't need it to softcap with ninjitsu" and were totally missing the point of the post. The point is that the defense helped update MA to be more useful and fill a niche since it lacks other things like aoe, I was just using ninjitsu as an example (mostly because i want to pair it with ma for a ninja theme, and the issue being that it would have to be a scrap or stalker, and loses the benefit of the defense currently) of how that defense boost would help, by not needing to slot as many defense boosting IO bonuses.

In order for you to lose something, you have to have it first.  MA never had the defense on scrappers.  You act as if the set always had a defense buff and suddenly it was taken away and in exchange was given a crit bonus instead.  MA for scrappers is pretty much the same as it has always been.  

Edited by HelenCarnate

In relation to the other ATs that do get the defense bonus to compensate for things MA lacks like aoe damage and/or a more useful damage type. Lots of other sets also do great ST damage just as well as MA and have more aoe and/or other goodies. This was meant to be a change to help set MA apart, it's really odd it was never ported to scrappers/stalkers to begin with. Without it, outside of concept really I would see no reason to choose MA over any other melee set. (outside over very niche very specific builds like my ma/da scrap i had on live to stack stuns). The defense boost was meant to help the set out for that.

Edited by WindDemon21