Is it just me or is PVP not what it used to be?

Gravitus

So the original plan Was to wait until my PVP build was complete before I attempted to PVP because I remember how intense it used to get on live. But out of boredom I went in prematurely with my PVE team build(not even my solo build) as a Gravity/Time controller and literally soloed 3 heroes at the same time, 2 days in a row.

Granted my ench were maxed out and I had T-4 incarnates, (my character isn’t a push over) but I wasn’t expecting to do so well and so easily with a build not even geared towards PVP.  I know excelsior isn’t the PVP server so maybe that’s it? 

I’m a decent PVPer but am by no means a God at it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gravitus

Well, were these people actively trying to fight, or were they badgers? Because I'm imagining like, these three guys were attacking a pillbox or an AV, and you just went and dropped one or two before they realized a player was attacking them (I've been on both side of this...)?

That said, a few things in PvP were changed from live... or I should say "un-changed". things like travel suppression and heal decay were removed, so it's easier to bounce around and keep your HP up.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, Grav is a top-tier Control set in PvP, and Time is no slouch, either. Both take lots of damage procs (which I assume you have at least a few of), so it's not hard to imagine you doing well! Also, the builds of your opponents matter a lot. I main a Mind/Kin, and how I perform in PvP is oddly binary: I either do REALLY well (stacking debufs and keeping up an attack chain), or I die instantly. That's why I asked if your opponents were badgers, because for a subset of people who want ALL THE SHINEYS, we tend to make pretty sub-optimal build choices (no max HP, no damage procs, yadda yadda).

15 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

Well, were these people actively trying to fight, or were they badgers? Because I'm imagining like, these three guys were attacking a pillbox or an AV, and you just went and dropped one or two before they realized a player was attacking them (I've been on both side of this...)?

That said, a few things in PvP were changed from live... or I should say "un-changed". things like travel suppression and heal decay were removed, so it's easier to bounce around and keep your HP up.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, Grav is a top-tier Control set in PvP, and Time is no slouch, either. Both take lots of damage procs (which I assume you have at least a few of), so it's not hard to imagine you doing well! Also, the builds of your opponents matter a lot. I main a Mind/Kin, and how I perform in PvP is oddly binary: I either do REALLY well (stacking debufs and keeping up an attack chain), or I die instantly. That's why I asked if your opponents were badgers, because for a subset of people who want ALL THE SHINEYS, we tend to make pretty sub-optimal build choices (no max HP, no damage procs, yadda yadda).

I can’t speak to their intentions , I attacked a hero by the atlas statue , tank. Gravity dropped him to ground but I had hold ench. Not damage. Needless to say he got no where close to dying anytime soon.

I got about 10% of his health off when a mind dom and fire corruptor come storming in to the rescue . Now I do have the t-4 power that makes Mez not work well against me, plus some of the best set bonuses that give mez protection . The corruptor just wasn’t doing insane amounts of damage But adequate . I dispatched the squishies in the air while I had the tank grounded with gravity . In some cases he jumped and reached me but I also had time’s juncture equipped which severely hampers melee attacks.

i guess it makes sense gravity being good but I didn’t recall anyone singing its praises during live. I was able to keep them somewhat isolated from one another with the gravity , plus time giving me the ability to heal. I couldn’t kill the tank until the squishies finally gave up after face planting several times . I was finally able to kill the tank once I could focus on him. Ice tanker with hibernate. I suspect the T-4 gravitic -recharge proc probably severely hampered their Aggro against me.

i occasionally had to do some strategic withdrawals but I used no inspirations at all. I used gravity / FF on live back in the day and I just recall having a much more difficult time taking on multiple assailants.

But maybe you’re right in that I just had huge natural advantages .

Edited by Gravitus
  • Like 1