Soloing City of Heroes

Sir Myshkin

On 11/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, Snarky said:

Last night I joined a PUG tree spec (1st) for the badge and merits on my main.  Good team and we rocked it.  One thing at the end caught me by surprise.  The team was explaining to a new player about the tree at the end.  This is after we killed the vines.  I got bored and charged the AV.

I think tree spec was nerfed heavily at some point? I remember being on teams that failed it back in the cov days. literally couldn't clear vines fast enough. 

So when I took my solo sav/bio stalker in the other night on a lark  I was getting ready to fail. 

Unbeknownst to me, a few short minutes  later it was completed. 

While it's not actually solo what I like the most is duoing stuff. Solo itself is dull and repetitive. And in the case of finding glowies even worse. But duo we can chat and split up to find glowies and go woooo when we win.

Nothing stops a full team and that makes it as interesting as the RP events where the leader did not take in consideration a possible loss so everything is railroaded into finishing ez pz.

With the memorable exception of doing Market Crash with under leveled characters, as a +3, which we slogged through *slowly* and losing one person along the way, and when reaching the giant robot we wipe three times and the team disbands (after trickling back one by one and engaging the fight making them be defeated one by one).

• Like 2

I have learned a fair amount in the forums back in live - and in these HC forums as well. Never noticed the %'s when the Crimson Prototype spat out generators, and frankly never noticed what type of damage or debuffs that were being applied. 

I have had mixed results soloing Market Crash. By solo, I would use two accounts because I was uncertain if one lore pet would be enough to help with the dps required. Then I discovered the summon pets from p2w. The tank version isn't nearly as effective as my second account that just sits there with foot stomp on auto, but it's enough to let me focus on my character and dish out the damage. But the ranged damage - in the form of an echo of Positron is outstanding. I don't know for sure, but I suspect there are strong debuffs with that damage Posi dishes out. 

On my primary character, my blaster Ukase (ice/ice/mu) has solo'd all the tfc task forces and a few of the red side ones. My farm brute has solo'd all the Maria Jenkin's AVs as well as all the tfc AVs on blue side. 

Soloing is what I do unless I see someone else wanting help to do the same thing - but if they want to kill most/all when I want to speed, I'll solo. I can solo Manticore faster than a good team of  8 - but that includes recruiting time for that team. Same with most tfs, except Synapse. 

There is one thing that I'd like to do with my blaster but have been unsuccessful, and that's solo the Freedom Phalanx Heroes in Recluse's Victory. There are 6 of them, they usually come out in pairs. I haven't tried to duo them yet with the help of my farm brute or tank, but It's something I'll have to try. I tried with my lore pets, and an HVAS and a summon pet from p2w against Pen Yin and Ms. Lib, and that didn't work out well. In that experience, I think if I'd had my second account, I might have had a better shot, but who knows. I'll get them eventually, but I'd rather do it solo so I don't have to wait for folks. I hate to wait! 

The only soloing of TF-type stuff I've ever done was done back before shut-down.  I had found and followed a good build for an Ill/Rad troller that was packed with enough recharge to perma the  the Phantom Army.  I ended up running thru the Baby New Year and Lady Winter stories a ton because I love the winter maps and the build allowed me to feel relaxed enough to actually risk soloing (I generally get too tense when things get really tough,. and that's not why I play this game).  Going back to the OP post, this was obviously because Rad allows me to debuff the foes enough to render them toothless, not the other way around.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

When you Solo something you solo it. One character. Not with a second character from a second account. That's a duo.

If all the soloing of various stuff being mentioned here and elsewhere is making use of a toon from a second account then they aren't solos. It'd be soooo easy to solo every TF logging in a second account to get over the hump of the hard parts. 

I didn't realize people were assuming I duo-accounted my Solo list (which is almost everything now). I quickly disabused them of the notion.

Oh look I have 3 or 4 machines I can use with a different account, I'll log in this character here to help with this bit, and that character for this. 

Come on.

If I start soloing LRSF then log a character to perma sleep the AVs to pick them off one at at time or confuse them into doing the work for me or a debuffer or whatever, is that soloing it? No. Nothing wrong with it, we all have our fun, but it's not 1 character doing it all, alone.

A solo is one character and what they can bring to the table. Now I can't trust anyone's solo bio's or posts.

O_o

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chirikiti said:

When you Solo something you solo it. One character. Not with a second character from a second account. That's a duo.

Damn right!

I've only soloed a few of the TFs so far, and a few GMs, but when *I* say I soloed something I mean with ONE character working alone!

Overall I would say a character just for soloing I'd make a Rad/Bio (I actually do have one).  The heal from Radiation Siphon is just nuts and Irradiated Ground ensures it is up often. 300 HP every few seconds tops health very easily when it matters which is hard fights. Easy fights are just a blur of AoE. The rest of the time it's all on Ablative or DNA Siphon, the swiss knife skill.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:35 PM, Sovera said:

Overall I would say a character just for soloing I'd make a Rad/Bio (I actually do have one).  The heal from Radiation Siphon is just nuts and Irradiated Ground ensures it is up often. 300 HP every few seconds tops health very easily when it matters which is hard fights. Easy fights are just a blur of AoE. The rest of the time it's all on Ablative or DNA Siphon, the swiss knife skill.

I have to say, Radiation Siphon is probably a far better Swiss Knife than Siphon Life is when paired with the Containment mechanic. Playing Rad paired with DA, I... I don't think I can honestly recall the last time I played where I had to hit Dark Regen for a serious heal. DPS wise Radiation isn't necessarily winning in ST ground fights, but it does really well on clearing a room in a quick hurry. Definitely a solid Solo choice for being pretty decent at both aspects of ST and AoE.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, Chirikiti said:

A solo is one character and what they can bring to the table. Now I can't trust anyone's solo bio's or posts.

I agree that "Solo" should be explicitly one character, alone performing the task at hand, but I don't think you have much to worry about with declarations made so far. Only a few folks have explicitly said if/when/how/why they may have dual//multi-boxed (used another account at the same time).

• 3 months later
On 12/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, Tahliah said:

I soloed all the ouro content-

I did that, too, with my favorite in the Live days... Red side, then blue.

Her name was Grey Kestrel. She was a Rogue DB/WP Stalker with a perma-summoned Adept companion. (Read: Full-on, not-kidding-around, for-serious recharge-monster with a ludicrous build that it had taken me a couple of years to put together) It was good fun. 

I've never really tried soloing the TFs. FlyingCodeMonkey and I have duoed quite a few of them with Prince and Nemissary (Titan Scrap and Dark Defender), but soloing just seemed like it would be tedious to me. We also duoed most of the giant monsters. With a pair of Masterminds. (Suspended was Bots/Time, Hanano was Ninja/FF. As far as I can remember, a Rikti drop ship was the only thing we couldn't manage. Group Fly wasn't quick enough for the gang to keep up with it. We did TRY on several occasions, though. And we actually took down both the Arachnos Flier and the Seed of Hamidon that way Poor Caleb we actually caught out on the beach. XD)

The most interesting thing I've done solo on Homecoming was finishing out all of the Dark Astoria arcs at +4/x8 solo on my favorite Stalker. The "White Thorn" version of Kaikara (KinMelee/Bio) is still proudly wearing her "Knows No Fear" badge. Taking out that army alone on a stalker was no quick and easy thing, even with a pretty solid build. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 11/24/2019 at 11:35 PM, nihilii said:

I've soloed every TF in the game save for Reichsman on my fire/rad sentinel. Some thoughts here, as well as great insights from other players: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6721-silly-sentinel-tricks/

People like you are why I gave up trying to be "special."  Thanks.

ROFLMAO  Danged that is nice.  On a Sentinel?  Tip of the helmet, wag of the cape. 

I should just go back to SS/Will Brutes and explore the sunny paths.  You have the thunderstruck windy peaks all figured out. 

….no, really, a Sentinel? damned I suck...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snarky said:

People like you are why I gave up trying to be "special."  Thanks.

ROFLMAO  Danged that is nice.  On a Sentinel?  Tip of the helmet, wag of the cape. 

I should just go back to SS/Will Brutes and explore the sunny paths.  You have the thunderstruck windy peaks all figured out. 

….no, really, a Sentinel? damned I suck...

TBF fire sent is super strong.  My fire/ice sent just wrecked stuff for 50 levels.  Way fun!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dz131 said:

Lol...

Soloing with Lore and temps are not a feat of strength.  Everyone has access to them at the same powerlevel, it says nothing about how well you build your character.  

I actually tend to agree with this, which is why I do my solo stuff without temps or incarnates of any kind (not even alpha slot). So far, I have soloed all GMs including Lusca and Kronos Titan, most AVs in Maria Jenkins' arc (damn Malaise with non-positional attacks and Dominatrix with 50% res to all + spamming ranged holds), all AVs in Mender Silos' arc (on both sides), on my Blaster (Beam/Mental), Defender (Therm/Ice), Corruptor (Fire/Rad), Controller (Fire/Cold), and Dom (Dark/Psi). My MM (Thugs/Traps) is also a solo beast, but cannot take down Lusca due to her mechanics being pet unfriendly 

Edited by Silverado

I have yet to be able to solo any TF (granted I have only tried one or two). 

On those few attempts I have made, I used my tank, and typically what happens is I blow through everything easily until I reach an AV, at which point we stand there throwing punches, forever, unable to hurt one another.

Maybe with a different AT....

• 1 year later
  • 2 years later