Winter Superpack - Boom or Bust?

Troyusrex

^ This.

I'm trying to sell as many IOs and inspirations as I can now, and saving "everything else" for later(tm).  I'd much rather extract 12-15mm of value per pack now than hold onto them for 6-8 months and try to extract 25mm per pack.

I've never used the winter o's much, except occasionally a set of Avalanche.  Believe you me, Avalanche is now going into just about every alt I have beginning when they hit lvl 7.

Sadly, my computer has just given up the ghost, so no gaming for me until I replace it.

Who run Bartertown?

16 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

^ This.

[… ]

Believe you me, Avalanche is now going into just about every alt I have beginning when they hit lvl 7.

Sadly, my computer has just given up the ghost, so no gaming for me until I replace it.

Avalanche is love.

Damage aura? Avalanche.

PBAOE melee move? Avalanche.

• Like 2

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I averaged 1.26 WIOs/pack on my first 50 packs.

I was surprised at how quickly the prices of individual WIOs went down, but I think that's good news.  To me it means that a lot of people had the same idea and a lot of other people got cheap(er) things to polish off their builds.  Win-win.

I'm not sure if the prices will go up as fast as they came down.  My expectations is that the price will go up slower, but then again I was surprised at the speed going down.  Soooo . . . 

Oh, and just about every character I make has between 2 to 5 sets of WIOs.  They give crazy good enhancement value, some really good bonuses, and then both go over the roof once you make them Superior.  I'm just banking all these WIOs for now.  And leaving them in character e-mail makes it easy for a new level 10 to grab a set while waiting on the next DFB or Positron TF to start.

Edited by Bionic_Flea

On 12/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, Erydanus said:

The thing about sitting on a winter IO with the intent of selling it later for a higher price is that you could be flipping that money and making more RIGHT NOW, so it's actually going to cost you (opportunity) money to save them.

/shrug.  I've got some 20 billion or more sitting on my marketing toons not making me money, yet money rolls in anyway just from regular marketing.  I can afford to sit on a pile of Winter IO's forever if I like.  ^_^  Mind you, I mostly collect them to use rather than to sell, but either way, I am making money constantly so the idea that I'm NOT making money with some thing sitting in inventory is not a big concern.

• Like 1

I have just finished putting my initial 25 characters through full IO conversion,  including an emergency respec after a respec (Damn you, Afterburner!), so all of my resources can now go to any future concepts. I am likely to be out of game the week of Christmas, so gathering Winter Packs will be my primary focus  outside of teaming this week.

Any character that I make from now til kingdom come will have their entire IO complement before they even see a single point of experience.😁

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

6 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

I have just finished putting my initial 25 characters through full IO conversion,  including an emergency respec after a respec (Damn you, Afterburner!), so all of my resources can now go to any future concepts. I am likely to be out of game the week of Christmas, so gathering Winter Packs will be my primary focus  outside of teaming this week.

Any character that I make from now  TIL kingdom come will have their entire IO complement before they even see a single point of experience.😁

I actually get excited when I log in a character I haven’t tweaked yet, but I’m not at the point yet to pre buy before I’ve even played.  I enjoy the marketing experience a lot though, so I might buy sets a few levels early.

i do, however, start bidding on ATOs and winter os right out of Outbreak now.  Level 7 is only fifteen minutes away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I actually get excited when I log in a character I haven’t tweaked yet, but I’m not at the point yet to pre buy before I’ve even played.  I enjoy the marketing experience a lot though, so I might buy sets a few levels early.

i do, however, start bidding on ATOs and winter os right out of Outbreak now.  Level 7 is only fifteen minutes away!

The way I see it nowadays, I can conjure a build right out of the gate and modify it on the fly. We have so many tools to work with now and the costs are so low that our options are always open.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 12/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, Ukase said:

Also, interesting to me - the Superior Winter sets...they used to be the same price as the non-superiors. Then, this changed, but I'm not sure when.  Maybe the AH prices were glitching when I looked. Could've sworn they were in the same bucket, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. 

This is no glitch, and you're right: there was a change. I don't recall when either.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:07 AM, nihilii said:

This is no glitch, and you're right: there was a change. I don't recall when either.

It was a couple patches back. Happened after someone pointed out regular and superior winter sets were bucketed and a dev noticed - apparently they weren't supposed to be bucketed.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 12/11/2019 at 5:26 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

I averaged 1.26 WIOs/pack on my first 50 packs.

I was surprised at how quickly the prices of individual WIOs went down, but I think that's good news.  To me it means that a lot of people had the same idea and a lot of other people got cheap(er) things to polish off their builds.  Win-win.

I'm not sure if the prices will go up as fast as they came down.  My expectations is that the price will go up slower, but then again I was surprised at the speed going down.  Soooo . . . 

Oh, and just about every character I make has between 2 to 5 sets of WIOs.  They give crazy good enhancement value, some really good bonuses, and then both go over the roof once you make them Superior.  I'm just banking all these WIOs for now.  And leaving them in character e-mail makes it easy for a new level 10 to grab a set while waiting on the next DFB or Positron TF to start.

I think only a couple of the sets give good bonuses before they're superior. I only use them in my 50's, because frankly, the bonuses just aren't that good compared the the uncommon and rare options. Reducing slows by 10%? I rarely encounter that debuff, and the only thing I'm after is the defense. So it's all or nothing for me. 
I don't see 1.88% as meaningful when 3.13 is available for a cheaper price. 

I know that there are some who never read the HC forums and literally have no idea what they are doing when it comes to buying stuff on the AH. Spend 20 million on a winter IO, or spend 25m and get a winter IO, maybe 2 of them and maybe get 25 to 100 reward merits as well. It's a gamble, but if they've got the inf, buying 10 or more at a time moves the odds closer to your favor. 

So, in a couple weeks, when this sale is over - wonder how many will just bid 25 million...while some of us have put them on sale for ...6 inf? 1 inf? Or 10m, 12, 15 or 20m? Should be interesting to see. 

This is an additional comment after I have considered the winter IOs more carefully, sleeping on it. I'm rethinking their value. One of the things I detest about the lower levels is Training Origin & Dual Origin enhancements. Even the lower level sets reek in value compared to an SO below level 25. I think that may be where the Winter IOs carry more value for me. I don't think that an Avalanche is any better than an oblit set, when it comes to bonuses - but Oblits simply aren't available until much later. 
It may cause me to burn some unslotters, but that's what they're for. Use the Avalanche in the low levels, when I can slot the oblits, slot them. Then, at 50, I can look at the Superior Avalanche with the better resist and defense, or go with a purple set for better recharge if that fits. 

Edited by Ukase

4 hours ago, Sakai said:

Took the plunge and purchased a bunch of these this morning before maintenance. 

I figure now I will probably forget about them and open them just in time for next Xmas. 

Is there a keybind or macro we can use to quickly open up winter packs?

• City Council
21 minutes ago, tinygodzilla said:

Is there a keybind or macro we can use to quickly open up winter packs?

Yes!

/keybind "right click" info window

/keybind "left click" open

A.K.A - I'm afraid not 😞 

You can, however, set to have all the cards auto flip open after opening the pack. That should save some time!

• Haha 2

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 hour ago, GM Arcanum said:

Yes!

A.K.A - I'm afraid not 😞 

You can, however, set to have all the cards auto flip open after opening the pack. That should save some time!

Shame on you for breaking my spirit!!! 😃

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, GM Arcanum said:

Yes!

A.K.A - I'm afraid not 😞 

My disappointment is immeasurable, my day is ruined.

just bind /salvage_open S_WinterPackSalvage or make a macro with it, then spam it (with consideration for the server). You don't even have to wait for all the cards to flip, it'll just open the next pack.

Edited by hazygreys
  • Like 2

You do not actually have to flip the cards over. If you are watching your window that reports drops, if you open a pack and close the window without flipping the cards over, you'll see what you got listed right there. As soon as the pack's opened the goodies actually fall into your email. As soon as another pack is opened the same thing happens.

In other words, you can just open pack over and over, and then close the card window without toggling any cards when you're done. I have, however, had the system glitch on me when I went a little bit too fast doing this and then had to wait a few minutes while it unjammed.  I recommend giving it a second or two between each one.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I am not sure how to express my thoughts on what I'm seeing with regards to the Winter IOs. 

The price points just defy logic (to me). Just a couple of days ago, anyone with the time, inf and willingness could have gotten as many winter packs as they desired. Now, I see the IOs from those packs being sold for more than 2x of the sale (Chrismas) price of the pack itself. I'm not complaining, but I am wondering if some of our player base are just uninformed, or if one of you is playing a longer game and looking to buy up everything for 18-22m, only to resell them for 30+ in the future. 

I am hoping it's one or more of you playing a longer game, because if not, I just can't wrap my head around the crazy prices I'm seeing for things that simply should not cost as much as they're getting on the market.