Power Pool: Toon Force

Hexent

First of all I fully acknowledge that this suggestion may not even be possible. But I'm posting it just in case.

Toon Force! The ability to fight with the powers and abilities of a Cartoon! For an idea of what these abilities could be go watch The Mask or a couple Looney Tunes episodes. It's basically the ability to manipulate reality on the condition it is entertaining.

This power pool could work with or similar to the Brute's Fury. If similar to fury but separate you could make it so certain abilities are locked behind how entertaining you are. At first you can only use a basic cartoon punch but the more you use it the more the meter fills and the more the meter fills the more abilities you can then use. Being out of combat should cause the meter to drain.

The real tricky part would be adding animations that look cartoon-ish. Fists growing bigger for the cartoon punches, oversized handguns being pulled out of nowhere, etc. Pretty sure anyone who has ever watched a Cartoon with slapstick humor knows what I mean.

Check out this link if you are somehow confused as to what I mean.

https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Cartoon_Physics

If this power pool IS possible but too hard to balance you could add a weakness that is just as bad. Like if your entertainment meter becomes completely full you start to go insane and loose the ability to recognize what is real or possibly loose control of your character for a short period of time.

Like if you cant tell what is real then maybe some of the enemies you see are actually just delusions. Or your allies will look like the enemy. I'm not entirely sure of the limits of the mechanics for the game yet so forgive me if this too is actually impossible.

It would be neat to see a ranged damage/assault damage power set. It might not be totally a toon set in my mind, leaning more towards prank attacks that could go for a wider range of concepts. You could have the Bang Prank Pistol, an acid spitting flower, A hammer with a scissor-spring punch, classic cartoon fused bombs, and maybe a fake parachute that randomly drops a tire, anvil, or piano on an enemies head... But that's more of a Primary/Secondary set than a Power Pool.

On the other side of toon possibilities, it would be neat to see a stretchy melee set and an inflatable defense set.

An insanity mechanic would probably be timed power based, as fallout for some self rez or something very powerful. I don't think you will see a "power bar" mechanic outside an explicit archetype design.  Along those lines you could always try doing something like "Dr. Aeon's Saturday Morning Platoon" about animated Holograms who have escaped and have their own sentience.

Of course, many people call their characters in this game toons already. So terminology wise, this could get really confusing.

Since they are already working on "Premium Power Pools" this would also be a good suggestion line to work with. The model for these is generally 5 powers, with the 3 power being a Travel power that is slower than the pure travel power pool powers, but has a built in hidden power you can use while the toggle is active. There is a lot of flexibility there to build a set anyone can take (provided they didn't take another Premium Power Pool Set already...)

Maybe a Toon Premium Power Pool could look like this:

Toon Brawl- A melee attack with considerable range. Hit your target from a distance, but apply melee defense values.

Toon Dodge- Activate this to have your character move in a goofy and unpredictable manner. Defense vs. Ranged +

Toon Dash- A Superspeed type power with a toon animation for movement. Something that looks like those spinning legs you'd see on Sonic the Hedgehog.

Toon Teleport- Teleports you behind to targeted foe and deals a melee strike. Can only use while Toon Dash is active.

Toon Taunt- Let out a cloud of obscenities so foul they can only be expressed with symbols. Chance to cause Confusion in Target.

Toon Rez- You can't keep a good toon down. Self Rez with debt protection, full health, and stamina... but suffer from lowered resistance to confuse and fear for a short time.

• Like 1

As much as I like the idea (some stuff from the Mask would be super awesome to see)..I just don't think the aesthetic (as I am picturing it, at least) would fit into the game. Everything else as 'realistic' looking super powers, then suddenly giant cartoon hammers and stuff? It would stand out and clash.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:42 AM, Razor Cure said:

As much as I like the idea (some stuff from the Mask would be super awesome to see)..I just don't think the aesthetic (as I am picturing it, at least) would fit into the game. Everything else as 'realistic' looking super powers, then suddenly giant cartoon hammers and stuff? It would stand out and clash.

Giant cartoon hammers? Like Titan Weapons?

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 2

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I think the concept falls into Sentinel Archtype since they are Ranged with Melee sets. 

EG the link in the video made me think of Full Auto from Assault Rifle. 

I see this more of a unique Sentinel Archtype but with the GRAPHIC options to go Toon. 

EG pull one Power from each tier from specific sets and mash them together.

I see this more as a Graphic request to a new power set.   

• Like 1