Water / Ice / Cold Blaster Build Help

Barfyook

Hey all, I came up with a Water / Ice Blaster a while back and ended up making her my primary. The idea was originally theme based but after hitting 50 and filling out the Incarnate powers, I'm looking to maximize the value for this toon. I've obviously overpowered certain areas because I was building on the fly. Now it's time to sit down and figure out what works best: powers, slots, enhancements.

I'm looking for anyone with thoughts/experience on the Primary and Secondary powersets, along with a solid Ancillary set. I'm willing to change anything to get the most out of this character from an efficiency/survivability standpoint.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ecclesia: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dvs-Hold%(7)
Level 1: Chilblain -- Slow(A)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- Dmg-I(A), Apc-Dmg(7), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(9), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Apc-Acc/Rchg(11), Acc-I(11)
Level 4: Water Burst -- BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), BlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(13), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), BlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), BlsWrt-Rchg/Dam%(17)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(17), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(19), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(19), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(21), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(21)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(23), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(23), PrfShf-Acc/Rchg(25), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(25), PrfShf-End%(27)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- ThfofEss-Heal(A), ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(27), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(29), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(29), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(31), ThfofEss-+End%(31)
Level 14: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 16: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Water Jet -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(33), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Dvs-Hold%(34)
Level 20: Ice Patch -- RechRdx(A)
Level 22: Hover -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- AnlWkn-DefDeb(A), AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(34), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(34), AnlWkn-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(36), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(36), AnlWkn-%ToHit(37)
Level 28: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(37), EndRdx-I(37)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Build%(42)
Level 32: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Rgn-Knock%(43)
Level 35: Snow Storm -- EndRdx(A), EndRdx(36), EndRdx(45)
Level 38: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(46)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Hibernate -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Hoarfrost -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(48), RechRdx(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- Heal(A), Heal(50), Heal(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A), PrfShf-End%(39), PrfShf-EndMod(39)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Cryonic Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Cimeroran Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 1: Quick Form 
------------

• 1 year later

Barfyook,

You didn't take the 2nd Blaster AT set?

Some very interesting sets and good ideas for sets eg in Rehydrate and Frigid Protection.  I do like your power selections and build much of it mirroring my own thinking in power choices for 1st, 2nd and epic. 

For example to use ice as another layer of debuff against the mobs.  It stacks with the slows in water.  And then you've chosen the ice epic (also like moi) Snow Storm to really give the 'big Freak time' the Matrix Bullet Time experience as he wanders around in slo mo and you can dart around him debuffing him with constant -defence from water and mOAR slows peppering them in a relentless slumber of treacle debuff whilst hammering their -def constantly.  I like slows.  I think they're an under rated debuff.  It buys you time to think, react and run rings around mobs.  The council like to debuff your attack chain with slows...and it's nice to give some of that back!

Your defence numbers seem a little low.  Not included are the Gladiator's Armour (3% global defence?) and Steadfast Defence (another 3% defence global.) that's 6% defence left on the table!!!  Over two slots!!!!!!!!  (I'd see that as the quickest way to boost your def' for little 'cost.')  No defence in Hover?  With Frigid protection, Hover will run for free.  So you could either Luck of the Gambler Def' in it or a global recharge to push for perma hasten?  In that, with a casual play with mids I had my Water/Ice build with much higher overall defence numbers.  Maybe you've gone for a resistance based build?  Though I'd prioritise 'not getting' hit in the 1st place as a blaster.  (with the caveat that I always try to maximise my res' numbers behind a good def' build.)  See as you have ice shield?  You have a big chunk of def' there?  Why not add eg. 2x global 3%=6% def to that?  Pop a purple inspire in battle and suddenly you have a bigger dollop of defence.  So I'd work on bringing your base def' higher.

You used Devastation Sets to provide some nice chunks of Psi def'.  I was intrigued by the use of the Performance shifter in Frigid to increase AoE def', Theft of Essence is strangely appropriate in Dehydrate with the Stamina unique and Max end numbers along with the mez resists.  

And the slow set in Whirl Pool gives Range numbers for def' along with MOAR mez resists.  All 3 sets are synergistic with the thrust of each power there.  I'll 'appropriate' that sound thinking for my build.  (For now.  I have a build I'd pre-made on mids.  But I'd like to try some of your ideas.)

Erh.  Your Apoc' set isn't complete?  You're missing out on 5% Psi defence there? 😮

I do approve of the Unbreakable Guard for the end discount.  Sound.  I like end discounts.

TCR Savage,

I had a water energy blaster on live.  I really liked it.  Water was 'the future' as far as blasters were concerned.  Rinse repeat novas and self buff heal.  It was a new dawn for blasters! 

As for help.

I note in Barfyook, he hasn't taken the blap attacks of Frozen Fist and Ice Sword (some make take one or the other?)  and I've taken both for that blappabililty up close and personal.  So if any of those water whirl pool or ice mat ignorer mobs (hey, you, Warwolf) just run on over?  Ice Sword (a power I've never taken before) and Frozen Fists can double whammy blap their snout and they do decent damage.  Specifically, if you 4 slot slot Kinetic Combat in both of these?  That's 3.75 smashing damage each!  That's nearly 8% S*L def' you can add to your Ice Shield!  (That's what I intend to do.  I always try to chase the S*L cap for the most common type of damage.)  You can go Scorpion Shield for that huge dollop of defence.  But I went Ice Shield this time (or will do.  I@m currently L37 and just obtained the 'bullet time' anchor the bosses...from the ice epic.)

Water is a sound blast debuff set with the - def'.  (good for those Paragon Protectors...)  So anyone new to it, pick a 2ndary that compliments it.  Ice, to me, is perfect for this!  Slows debuff your opponents run speed and attack chains.  Time is the blaster's friend.  If you can buy seconds of it in the gambler's gun fight of he who fires 1st?  You get the 'white pawn' 1st mover's advantage in the strategy of the fight.

The ice epic gives you a mega slow, hit points, heal, defence chunky numbers and hibernate (which fills your heal and stamina bar!  GOLD!  Pure GOLD!)  And it gives you a great Slow anchor for the boss and his friends who give you the matrix bullet time experience.  They go super slo' mo' and you're all Keanu smack fu on their bacon.

Selection?  I take all the water blasts.  The steam blast being a favourite.  A high dam super wide AoE which really stings the eyes! 

Frigid protection from Ice is a fantastic self buff with stamina, heal and slows which is very helpful as mobs try to close to melee range...you have quicker feet than them!  I like blapping so, as mentioned, I've taken Fist and Sword.  I won't take shiver as I'm not sure I see the point as I have as much slow as I need with the Snow Storm anchor (unless someone can tell me something I'm missing there...).  I'm debating taking frozen touch as I have the melee blaps I need from Fist and Sword.  

I want to take Man's, Hover, Flight and 3 more epics.  Problem?  I have 5 more power picks left.  And I was toying with getting the Ice Foot stomp sleep power.  (Not for the sleep) For the damage AoE for when I'm in melee with Whirl Pool.  That would 7 more powers with 5 choices left.

I may forgo the Hover.  Flight, now that it includes Turbo Flight is mandatory pick for me now.  I want the Hoarfrost and try to push that as close to perma on global recharge.  And that ice defence shield is non-negotiable.  So 3 epics.  Flight.  That's four.  And?  Prob' Man's to push the defence numbers.  It's 3.5% base and that adds to global def' numbers.  Which means I don't get my Ice AoE foot stomp.  (But hey, I used it alot on my Ice Tanker...)  That gives me the 5 remaining powers.  So, I'll miss out on hibernate which is perhaps moAR pertinent for my Ice Tanker.  You have more than enough mitigation to not really need Hibernate.  Frigid provides moar than enough stamina and heal for you not to use Hibernate for this.  And given your arsenal of debuff offence?  There shouldn't be a need to wrap yourself in an Ice Preservation Cage with good defence numbers.

My 'steam of conscious' thoughts.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

Ice/ice/ice blaster here.

A couple comments on your build.

I don't really get the unbreakable guard in Frozen armor, you might be better served with a def set in there.

(Unless you really are after the resist cold/fire part of the power).

The other thing is snow storm. I prefer Shiver over it. Stronger debuff  out of the box.

Tempered Readiness Acc/end ,Acc/slo, Change for smashing dmg proc works nice for same 3 slots.

Course I'm Ice primary, so snow storm might be better for your hero.

And with Frigid protection, how much endu do you really need in stamina?

Unless you are really liking that 2nd set bonus, you could probably get away with just 2 slots of perf shifter (endu mod/proc%)

Would probably find a slot for hasten, two recharge i/os boosted to max gets you around 91% Recharge in it.

Preventive medicine absorb proc maybe in vengeance for some more hp buffer.

2 Slot it with the health/and absorb proc gets you a 2.25 s/l resist buff.

Assault is expensive, but two endu cuts are plenty in it,  boost to max level at 50 for pretty close the same cut.

Damage/disorient proc in chillblain maybe.

Looks like a fun build.