Katana Secondary

shaggy

Katana is a great power set; low end use, great damage, and Divine Avalanche, which really opens up a lot of possibilities with defensive sets. It's hard to gowrong. For resistance sets like Fire, Electric or Dark, DA gives a great layer of defense on top of set resistances and self heals.

For sets that offer defense to energies like Bio or Willpower, it lets you plug the lethal dmg defense hole and lets you concentrate on maximizing the defenses you do have. One thing to remember for S/L damage, most smashing is melee, so the +melee defense covers that. Most ranged S/L damage is actually lethal so the + lethal defense would protect you from that. Bio, Willpower, Invuln, EA, Ice, provide good/great protections to Eng/Neg/Fire/Cold which covers pretty much all other ranged damage. This leaves you with Toxic and Psi as spots to worry about.

• 2 months later

There are some good responses in this post.  I'm making a Natural Katana Scrapper.  I'm thinking of /SR, /Nin and /WP.  I've read in other posts that DA and /SR can be overkill on Def.  For this reason, I'm primarily thinking of /WP.  Some people in this post commented that /Nin is also very good, and it has a heal.

Does anyone have a preference between /Nin,  /WP or anything else that is Natural?

16 hours ago, drgantz said:

There are some good responses in this post.  I'm making a Natural Katana Scrapper.  I'm thinking of /SR, /Nin and /WP.  I've read in other posts that DA and /SR can be overkill on Def.  For this reason, I'm primarily thinking of /WP.  Some people in this post commented that /Nin is also very good, and it has a heal.

Does anyone have a preference between /Nin,  /WP or anything else that is Natural?

It depends.  A solid defensive secondary can free you from the low damage boat anchor that is Divine Avalanche.  It's the same damage as your tier 1 with a slightly longer animation.  Some will say there is no point taking a mid-tier damage set like katana if you don't utilize the +def, but kat/sr or kat/nin are both stylish.  /WP has a taunt aura and your leveling will be less painful.  Play what you like.  From a purely minmax perspective, probably /bio would be my choice.  Take Divine Avalanche, build for ~35 melee def, and enjoy the extra dps.  Color the /bio effects as neutral as you can on minimal FX if they bother you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1