CoH must have sucked

DougGraves

On 12/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, VV said:

It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked!

and yet, here we are still playing and replying to this clickbait topic.

DouggieGraves has earner the title 'Flamer'.

You're welcome.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Why on earth would you limit yourself to creating a new alt only when an old one reaches 50?

Eh, I average a 50 a week.  I don't play around, per se.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 12/16/2019 at 7:30 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

You know I feel compelled to ask why wouldnt you use a travel power? .... however especially on support toons, recall friend, stealth, and super speed by 14 was basically expected meta for supporting a team and making things like TFs go fast.

You kind of answered your own question - power choice (and being a heroic character, if you care about such things) is more than raw combat, and that was even more relevant in the earlier days of the game. The content levels 4-14 (both missions and zones) was designed in the mindset of not having a travel power, and they didn't go back and rework any of the old content when they increased access to travel powers. This has to do with travelling in general - like, does anyone think having 2 ferries in Port Oakes makes any sense now? It barely made sense when they first set them up next to each other, but now that "lines" are merged into a single transit system, it's completely silly. I was pointing out that this game carries serious scars from its transition away from a game that "must have sucked".

I would have liked to respond to the rest of your post, but it's mostly incoherent to me.

13 hours ago, Charistoph said:

I can think of several:

Magic: Arcane forces they have access to do not work with such tech or causes the tech to fail, so they go without.

Natural: "I hear that super powers are over-rated anyway" - Robin (Tim Drake), Young Justice

Tech: Too much mass/Tech is incompatible.

Mutant/Science: It gives me a rash.  It burns when I use it.  Whatever.

Absolutely nothing in the lore of CoH suggest tech and magic have some diametric conflict like in say one of my favorite classic RPG Arcanum a tale of steamwork and magicka obscura, in that game tech and magic are very difficult to make use of on a single character. Not impossible however as there are even in that game schools of magic that function perfectly even with a max tech aptitude, one of them being the conveyance school and the spell telepot, which is kind of ironic considering this discussion here on travel powers.

Robin still uses vehicles, a hover board is about the closest thing we have in this game to a vehicle we can use and Ive zero doubt batman/robin would use one.

Considering the power of mass teleport tech we see used in game at the end of a mother ship raid to evac everyone up on the big ship fighting Its highly unlikely any single character could have enough mass to overwhelm the teleport tech. This doubles when no player no matter how they make their character is denied use of the mediport, which also proves that magic etc does not conflict with that tech.

Id sooner buy a character having a phobia to transporters like Barclay in TNG.

Funny enough most people who forgo travel powers in game are from what Ive encountered very meta gamer types who ignore taking them to fit in more useful combat powers and use the jetpack and various tricks like mish tp, team tp, and Oportal to get around in a timely manner.

10 hours ago, Mr. Wallet said:

You kind of answered your own question - power choice (and being a heroic character, if you care about such things) is more than raw combat, and that was even more relevant in the earlier days of the game. The content levels 4-14 (both missions and zones) was designed in the mindset of not having a travel power, and they didn't go back and rework any of the old content when they increased access to travel powers. This has to do with travelling in general - like, does anyone think having 2 ferries in Port Oakes makes any sense now? It barely made sense when they first set them up next to each other, but now that "lines" are merged into a single transit system, it's completely silly. I was pointing out that this game carries serious scars from its transition away from a game that "must have sucked".

I would have liked to respond to the rest of your post, but it's mostly incoherent to me.

I understand what you're getting at, but, why would having two ferries be so odd?  Would the sight of two city buses with the same destination be equally as odd?

16 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

In the game world of CoH even the most common citizen has access to mediport tech, This means no matter the origin, no matter the back ground concept of a character, teleport at the least is a viable travel power option. Likewise a hover board in a setting with such sci fi tech is basically just a scooter anyone could have, its not special, its not high tech, its not out of the realm for even john smith and ordinary joe to own one.

Roy Cooling's arc shows that this isn't the case - the mediport technology is reserved for superpowers and a select few others. Even SWAT don't have it. At the end of the arc, the technology is released on an as-need basis for the handicapped and the elderly, but is not widely distributed.

Edited by Lines
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Absolutely nothing in the lore of CoH suggest tech and magic have some diametric conflict

Well, true as far as canon lore goes, but that doesn't prevent any character from having a story/background that could create a conflict. It's not like we EXPECT any character who doesn't take a travel power to say that it creates some problems with his powers, but if they did, I wouldn't try to explain to them how their story is all wrong.

1 hour ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Absolutely nothing in the lore of CoH suggest tech and magic have some diametric conflict like in say one of my favorite classic RPG Arcanum a tale of steamwork and magicka obscura, in that game tech and magic are very difficult to make use of on a single character. Not impossible however as there are even in that game schools of magic that function perfectly even with a max tech aptitude, one of them being the conveyance school and the spell telepot, which is kind of ironic considering this discussion here on travel powers.

Robin still uses vehicles, a hover board is about the closest thing we have in this game to a vehicle we can use and Ive zero doubt batman/robin would use one.

Considering the power of mass teleport tech we see used in game at the end of a mother ship raid to evac everyone up on the big ship fighting Its highly unlikely any single character could have enough mass to overwhelm the teleport tech. This doubles when no player no matter how they make their character is denied use of the mediport, which also proves that magic etc does not conflict with that tech.

Funny enough most people who forgo travel powers in game are from what Ive encountered very meta gamer types who ignore taking them to fit in more useful combat powers and use the jetpack and various tricks like mish tp, team tp, and Oportal to get around in a timely manner.

There may be nothing to suggest a problem with magic and tech in CoX, but there's nothing discluding it at all.  We're talking about a specific character here with their own magic system.

I pointed out Robin as a way to signify that some people take pride in being all natural when fighting crime.  I didn't say they were smart, just that was their choice.  Phobia would be a good reason, too.

You don't know what a person's tech is built with.  It could be operating with a singularity that makes jumping difficult.

Mediport system could be different than the personal transporting system.

But again, everything is what the individual decides to build in to their character.  You may not like it, but that's why you don't build your characters that way.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

So, basically, if it does not fit in your view of how things should be, it's not valid.

Got it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Machariel said:

I think you should probably take a travel power and if you don't have a good in-character explanation for it, just say that when you're using it it's like the narrator is doing some exposition. . . .

I never take travel powers

In my head anyone who plays the game without travel powers, including the P2W ones, are just being pedantic. There is nothing roleplay-ish about doing PvE missions with non RPers and making people wait. I'll accept it in a full RP team for the lack of travel powers if it's a theme, but even Batman does not swing his bat-line over the city. He has cars and planes to get where he needs to be. Not to mention there is a lot we can't RP like a grappling hook to climb a building, where we can RP it and then pop the jet pack and go where we wanted to be.

It's fine as literary excuse to show how the heroes need to put up with it but it pales in a game. Again, if only playing with a RP team, then sure, ok. But asking Joe the random stranger to wait because golly, oi do muh arrpees and I dun take travels powers! is just wtf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sovera said:

In my head anyone who plays the game without travel powers, including the P2W ones, are just being pedantic. There is nothing roleplay-ish about doing PvE missions with non RPers and making people wait. I'll accept it in a full RP team for the lack of travel powers if it's a theme, but even Batman does not swing his bat-line over the city. He has cars and planes to get where he needs to be. Not to mention there is a lot we can't RP like a grappling hook to climb a building, where we can RP it and then pop the jet pack and go where we wanted to be.

It's fine as literary excuse to show how the heroes need to put up with it but it pales in a game. Again, if only playing with a RP team, then sure, ok. But asking Joe the random stranger to wait because golly, oi do muh arrpees and I dun take travels powers! is just wtf.

I think most of us do take travel powers of some form at some point. The matter of conceptual variety in travel powers has never not been an issue anyway.

The point was more about what travel powers do to the experience of the city. The city in the early game was the medium by which you travelled, but now routes around the city are a lot more meta. Ouroboros, the TUNNEL system and free base teleports are all 'QOL' conveniences that circumvent the city. Some are even unimmersive, like the lfg tab and teleporting to contacts via the UI.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but it's left the city in a state of unuse. This is what we're saying about the game feeling undesigned. The new pace of the game makes whole zones con grey before you can get to know them. Besides, say, GM hunts, the only encouragement we have to explore the city is to actively choose to forego the conveniences. That's why I do it now and then. Solo, obviously, for the reasons you state. I don't want to slow others down and I don't want others to hurry me up.

I also wouldn't advocate a return to old ways, partly because the cat is out of the bag and partly because I'm not against the new pace. Instead, I'd like to see new encouragements for players to use and immerse themselves in the nooks and crannies of the city, rather than for it to be an inconvenience between doors.

I find ninja run and beast run to be a nice medium between speed and exploration. It's just a shame about the niche animations.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

as you said however when on a team the slowest person especially if every one else is getting to doors fast is dead weight

You are in the arena with the wrong berk if you think your going to have a leg to stand on when it comes to using RP

But go on give me an example of a character concept that wouldnt under any circumstance have access to what in this setting be considered common and widely accessible technology?

Nitpicking all your arguments.

1. Most groups don't care, teleport friend is picked up by a few people.  Take a few minutes longer, start without them as they can catch up.

2. Who cares?  Its their perspective not yours.  Your pushing your perspective on someone else,  want to have a hero with no travel power?  Local Man, saves cat in tree, helps old lady across the street, putting out a fire....Local man arrested for attempting to peep throuch second floor window, assaulting elderly lady, arson resulting in 3 alarm fire.  Local Man, always misunderstood. 

3. If you think all of you Joe and Joan Average NPC have acess to modern tech, can I point to the cars in the street and the NPC walking on the sidewalk instead of teleportion booths.  So, what is wrong with your poor perception vs theirs, isn't sprint/hurdle/ect slottable?  Haven't look and I forget its been so long, but even hurdle witb combat jumping gets some air.  My kinetics never get a travel power, siphon speed and inertia.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Nitpicking all your arguments.

1. Most groups don't care, teleport friend is picked up by a few people.  Take a few minutes longer, start without them as they can catch up.

2. Who cares?  Its their perspective not yours.  Your pushing your perspective on someone else,  want to have a hero with no travel power?  Local Man, saves cat in tree, helps old lady across the street, putting out a fire....Local man arrested for attempting to peep throuch second floor window, assaulting elderly lady, arson resulting in 3 alarm fire.  Local Man, always misunderstood. 

3. If you think all of you Joe and Joan Average NPC have acess to modern tech, can I point to the cars in the street and the NPC walking on the sidewalk instead of teleportion booths.  So, what is wrong with your poor perception vs theirs, isn't sprint/hurdle/ect slottable?  Haven't look and I forget its been so long, but even hurdle witb combat jumping gets some air.  My kinetics never get a travel power, siphon speed and inertia.

Hurdle, swift, etc are slottable same as stamina. I agree with everything here as well, with one minor addition: CoH, imo, is big enough that if you don't like RP'ing with one person, simply move(sometimes literal feet) over and begin RP with someone else. Not directed at you, just adding on to what you're saying 😀

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

39 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Hurdle, swift, etc are slottable same as stamina. I agree with everything here as well, with one minor addition: CoH, imo, is big enough that if you don't like RP'ing with one person, simply move(sometimes literal feet) over and begin RP with someone else. Not directed at you, just adding on to what you're saying 😀

Yeah, I don't RP per say but I like to fit in character to be funny such as when face planting.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I don't really CARE that someone is slow to zone or get to the door, but I do wonder (internally) why someone would willingly suffer without a travel power, or expect not to get some eyebrows over being last into every mob, last on the elevator, so on and so forth.

ETA: I mean, I kind of get it, because I like to roll inefficient controllers, blasters and defenders, but I make sure whatever it is they DO, they excel at and therefore contribute in that way to the team quite visibly.  I just would hate to be on an ITF waiting for the Brute to sprint to Romulus or whatever.

Edited by roleki

5 hours ago, roleki said:

I don't really CARE that someone is slow to zone or get to the door, but I do wonder (internally) why someone would willingly suffer without a travel power, or expect not to get some eyebrows over being last into every mob, last on the elevator, so on and so forth.

Hurdle with three SOs is nearly the same speed as the Fly cap.  Hurdle with two level 50 IOs and few very inexpensive and easily obtainable +Jump Speed/Movement bonuses is faster.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, Troo said:

DouggieGraves has earner the title 'Flamer'.

• What would you make to play each Enemy group?  - 1 reply

• When do you want villains scattered apart in a fight?  - 17 replies

• The problem with stalkers - 21 replies

• Soloing red side I can see again how good the solo game really is - 9 replies

• this thread - 170 replies

I create a wide variety of threads.  Don't blame me for which threads people decide to reply to. 

Edited by DougGraves
formatting
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sovera said:

I've teamed up with you on several Task Forces and never made anyone wait though.  

10 hours ago, roleki said:

ETA: I mean, I kind of get it, because I like to roll inefficient controllers, blasters and defenders, but I make sure whatever it is they DO, they excel at and therefore contribute in that way to the team quite visibly.  I just would hate to be on an ITF waiting for the Brute to sprint to Romulus or whatever.

wait you want people to use travel powers in missions not just to get up on a ledge or balcony?

On 12/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, Troo said:

It's funny, much as we hated dying 3 times trying to get to a mission in south Atlas Park, it was still kind of funny. And you could get some sort of perverse pleasure from just making it to the mission. Made for funny stories, once the pain wore off.