Fly..does anyone LIKE it?

Razor Cure

Ninja Run and Jump Pack.  Anything else is just an indulgence. 

But seriously; I tend to actually do all my travelling with teleport waypoints, and then just fill the gaps with Ninja Run, with a smattering of Jump Pack'ing for the verticality.  And I still seem to beat most of my teammates to the Task Force mission doors with enough time to hit Recall Team and get them all there.  I only ever take Travel Powers when a concept calls for it in terms of roleplay.

So, yeah.  Fly's "slow."  But it's Fly, and that makes it pretty important for all sorts of concepts.  Maybe it deserves some more speed, but considering everything else in equal measure, I don't think it would be the end of the world to leave it as-is, nor the end of the world to give it some more oomph.

Really, though, I think one of the new Incarnate Powers should be Incarnate-level Travel Powers, as detailed in another thread from weeks ago.

So ends this bit of ramblings from a player who seems to be passionate about City of Heroes less for it being a game, and more for everything else that it is.

I almost always take Fly or SJ as a travel power, although the alternative pools that give a flying or jumping power are now also on the menu.  Defense oriented melees take SJ because Combat Jumping puts them that much closer to the softcap.  Any character whose concept includes wings is going to fly: so it was a foregone conclusion for Maiden Heaven, La Faiseuse d'Anges, and Vanth Rasnal. 

I know Fly is a bit slower than other travel powers, but it allows beelining in ways the others don't.  I don't really expect it to act different. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Fly is usually the fastest to the door (because most people do not have the patience for handling TP, which is faster, but useless on combat maps...

• Confused 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

44 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I know Fly is a bit slower than other travel powers, but it allows beelining in ways the others don't.  I don't really expect it to act different. 

This! it's been my experience everyone is usually waiting, ironically, for the super speedsters

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I take travel powers for concept.  Always.

For some characters, I wish I could not take one and still get around - temp jetpacks are the closest I usually manage - or could get a motorcycle, etc.   A lot of them would be well-served by being able to recolor the FX on Prestige Slide and combining it with SS and/or SJ to get ice or earth ramps for my controllers, etc.

I tried Flight + Afterburner, but two aspects of the latter power were a dealbreaker for me:  it doesn't automatically detoggle when Flight (or Hover) does, and there's currently no Minimal (i.e., zero) FX option for it.  So there I was, getting the "whoosh" FX around me while I was on the ground, just walking.  That just looked/felt stupid, so I respec'd out of it and haven't taken it again since.

Edited by Megajoule
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

I take travel powers for concept.  Always.

For some characters, I wish I could not take one and still get around - temp jetpacks are the closest I usually manage - or could get a motorcycle, etc.   A lot of them would be well-served by being able to recolor the FX on Prestige Slide and combining it with SS and/or SJ to get ice or earth ramps for my controllers, etc.

I tried Flight + Afterburner, but two aspects of the latter power were a dealbreaker for me:  it doesn't automatically detoggle when Flight (or Hover) does, and there's currently no Minimal (i.e., zero) FX option for it.  So there I was, getting the "whoosh" FX around me while I was on the ground, just walking.  That just looked/felt stupid, so I respec'd out of it and haven't taken it again since.

My few characters I use afterburner on I tend to make a macro to toggle flight and a/b on and off together

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Most of my characters fly.  and i work in Afterburner before 20 on most of those.  Perfect Karma or LOTG mule

Animations are better when flying.  For Dual Pistols/Staff its almost like another set.  And as melee, it makes positioning easier in large crowds.

And I forget when this little change happened, you can use "on the ground" only powers when hovering as low as you can go.  Burn, Footstomp, etc.  Also Footstomp with its fist pounding animation while hovering is /Super Sweet.

5 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

This! it's been my experience everyone is usually waiting, ironically, for the super speedsters

I make sure all my enhancements are bought ahead of time, etc. 

Plan out my AFK time, and so on.    

Even with my P2W jetpacks I am never last to a mission. 

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

I make sure all my enhancements are bought ahead of time, etc. 

Plan out my AFK time, and so on.    

Even with my P2W jetpacks I am never last to a mission. 

I have a scrapper with Ninja run as his only travel ability (ok has a jetpack, but I don't think I've used it in 10's of levels) and he still regularly beats ss characters to the mish door...

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 minute ago, Haijinx said:

Yeah Ninja run is pretty good too.  Though I don't bother with that either anymore 

It's a concept thing, he's a Staff/Ninja scrapper, who is a refugee from 80's martial arts movies (complete with the orange puffer jacket)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, Megajoule said:

I'd actually be fine leaving Afterburner toggled on all the time if I could just get rid of the FX.

I followed a tip I saw somewhere and recoloured Afterburner to hide the effects as much as possible -- the Light option with the darkest colours on the palette.  That's made it much, much better, at least for me.

Now, of course, I forget I ever turned it on and wonder why my combat powers aren't working.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

My American Pit Bull (currently level 35 in this incarnation) manages just over 55 mph with Sprint and Beast Run, and looks hilarious while doing it (sprinting Beast Run looks so enthusiastic, it's like someone opened a bag of dog treats at the mission door).  Sure I'm not always the first one there, but actually running through the city bounding over obstacles is entertaining in itself.

The speed will go up a little bit by 50, and set bonuses and/or another slot may bring it up further.

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Megajoule said:

Same here,, I hadn't tried Afterburner on live, so I thought I would give it a try now.  I respec'd out of it almost immediately for the very reasons you state.  It was ridiculous that it stayed on when I was no longer flying and that I couldn't use any powers while it was on (it took me a sec to realize that was the problem), and I really disliked the way it looked all "whooshy."  I just wanted to fly faster, not have to deal with all that other stuff.   Now I'm back to flying more slowly but much more happily.  :)

• Like 1

I take fly whenever I can, assuming it can fit into my final build.  Reasons:  I love flying and exploring through zones,  Landing on the top of buildings and looking around, it's fun. :)

As for its speed, no it's not as fast as SS, it's not supposed to be.  But it's fast enough.   I could argue though, that it should be made as fast as super jump.

If I didn't always try to build for concept first, I'd pick Fly every time.  "It's the slowest!" I just fly upwards, pick a direction, and grab a drink.  Or I might want to do some sightseeing around various zones and Fly helps me do that.  I don't have the patience for Teleport and would never use it outside of the one baked into Mystic Flight or for Warshade (and then I stop using Shadow Step immediately upon receiving squid form and just use that for transportation).  Same for Super Speed.

My Savage/Rad Brute doesn't have wings and his abilities don't let him defy gravity, so he uses a combination of Beast Run and Jump Pack to get around.  I'd love a variety of travel powers on my characters if it matched their concept.  But there's times I just say screw it and pop a Jet Pack.  The Raptor model isn't all that expensive from the P2W vendor, just 5k inf for a half hour of use time (it doesn't tick down when not in use, to my knowledge)

Fly was, is, and always will be my favorite travel power.  If only because winged heroes are cool and flying is not only superheroic but convenient as hell.

Stopping in to signal boost that, yes, I like it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dangeraaron10 said:

My Savage/Rad Brute doesn't have wings and his abilities don't let him defy gravity, so he uses a combination of Beast Run and Jump Pack to get around.  I'd love a variety of travel powers on my characters if it matched their concept. 

Sometimes you can create odd 'concept' justifications. I have a Fire/Rad Sentinel, Termoyaderniy ('Thermonuclear' in Russian); her background had her uncontrollably emitting high-energy plasma and radiation, brought under control through technological assistance. She flies using rocket boots, but they're properly jets, not rockets; she's learned to vent plasma into the the 'combustion' chambers of the boots, superheating the air inside, producing thrust.

• Like 1

With enough speed bonuses in your sets (2-slot performance shifter is good for this), you can reach the flight speed cap with Hover, without even wasting a slot putting a fly speed IO in anything other than Swift. Some sets with speed passives (like super reflex and electric armour) make this even easier.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, srmalloy said:

It's not relevant to the game per se, but this reminds me of a comment made by a blimp pilot: "I don't care how long you've been flying; you'll never see an airplane stop just to take a better look at the sharks." With SS or SJ or TP, you have to end somewhere; SS leaves you down in the streets, and you have to plan with SJ or TP to stop on an empty rooftop. But with Fly, you just zip straight up and stop, and aside from a few specific mob types you can go idle for a drink, or to answer the door, or to the bathroom, secure in the knowledge that you're out of range of interruptions. And it gives you enormously more leisure to frame screenshots of a scene you find particularly noteworthy.

Or Echo:Faultline. Even the revamped Faultline can still be ugly.

This is why I take fly on most of my characters.  There are just enough zones to make SS complicated.  I've used SS on some so I've learned most of the paths but just being able to soar above the clutter is enough incentive to keep using FLY.