Questions about Annihilation: Chance for -Res

roleki

So in testing the Annihilation: Chance for -Res proc, it would SEEM that it is doing 8% -Res for 8s, BUT, when I slot it in Acid Arrow (which RedTomax reported has 15% -Res for 20s) I am actually seeing a damage spike of about 28%.

Does anyone know solid numbers on the -Res proc, or solid numbers on the -Res in Acid Arrow, or, know that the numbers cited above are accurate but they stack in such a way that results in a larger hit when multiple -Res effects hit?

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

7 hours ago, siolfir said:

Resistance resists resist debuffs; that doesn't fully explain the numbers if it was on the same target, but might explain why you might see a difference when targeting different mobs.

The percentages would be the same regardless of mob resistance.  For the sake of easy math lets say you have an attack that does 100 damage.  You also have a resistance debuff of 50%.  This means you do 150 damage or 50% more.  Now the mob has resists of 50% as well.  This means you would normally do 50 damage.  When you hit them with your debuff, it gets resisted by 50% as well so it ends up being a 25% debuff instead.  This brings their resist down to 25% so instead of 50 you do 75 which is also a 50% increase. 

That begs the question, acid arrow on what?  If it is a Defender then the -Resist is at 20% which if the proc is 8% would add up perfect.  But if you are on a Corruptor or Controller then it is 15% and that means the numbers are off on the proc amount and it is 13%.

Edit, I did find a thread where someone did some digging and found it was 12.5% which would be right around the 28% increase in damage you would expect to see on non Defender Acid Arrows when they proc.  For that power, if you have the slots you can also throw in Achilles Heel for even more -resist, but if you have to pick one or the other, Achilles Heel is a better option.

Edited by HelenCarnate
  • Like 1

I have to admit, I was having trouble wrapping my head around "Resistance resists resist debuffs" but I get it now 🙂

This is on an Ice/FF controller, which is why I am suddenly very interested in -Res.  I wasn't aware that Acid Arrow could take -Def enhancements, or that Achilles' Heel was so much better than Annihilation.  Looks like I'll be fitting that in somehow.

10 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

The percentages would be the same regardless of mob resistance.

True, the damage would increase by the same percentage (assuming no bugs and that the resistance debuff was resistable). I misread the first post and thought they were checking the debuff value using a power analyzer and were seeing 28% when they expected 23%, but it would have also shown the mob had a negative resistance initially.

It could be that my by-eye guesstimate of 8% on Annihilation was the result of a larger debuff being resisted, and it actually *IS* 12.5% to begin with.

On that front, my testing methodology wasn't particularly scientific: I plopped an Annihilation Proc in Oil Slick Arrow, then watched the DoT increase after 10s, go for about 8 ticks, then drop back to what it was.  At the time I was just testing to see if the proc 'carried over' to the pseudopets; I just did the math on the ticks reported back from the combat window to arrive at ~8% as the amount of -Res, ignorant of resisted debuffs as a variable to consider.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Doomrider said:

It's 12.5% against even level enemies. That number diminishes as you push the difficulty up. Using a power analyzer will show this if you're curious, test it against a +0 and +4 to see.

I really have to remember those exist.