Is Energy Aura Worthless?

Fista

You barely need to click at all, tbh.  

Just wait till your end is below 25% and hit either one and bam you have no end issues for a while.  

Or you could put some binds together to trigger Energy Drain when you are fighting, and Energize when you run forward.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:52 PM, Uun said:

Darn whippersnappers! I played Energy Aura to 50 back when it really was bad - not only before they replaced the heal in Energy Drain with defense and replaced Conserve Power with Energize (I21), but before they added the heal at all (I13).

Me too! These darn kids keep trampling the lawn... I remember having to actually work to get Fury on a Brute with a stealth power that doesn't suppress while attacking, faster-decaying Fury, and *gasp* no taunt aura. That's where most of the reputation comes from.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, Krazie Ivan said:

may i introduce you to /Regen?

of EnA's 2 clicks ... one isn't even split-second life or death... & the other shouldn't be if your build has a decent amount of Def & Res. 3 Toggles & 2 Autos ...cake.

It can be if you use Overload. Pre-IOs, when people actually took and used tier 9s, you could time Energy Drain to fire while your endurance was crashing and refill it before it bottomed out and all of your toggles dropped. Still can as far as I know, but I haven't taken Overload since IOs came out (not even for the +hp). Electric Armor can do the same with Power Surge, but it has a hit point drop also so even with the built-in EMP from the crash it's a bit riskier.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, tafilr said:

If you have 25 million INF laying around, go pick up the Panacea +Hitpoints/Endurance IO and Numina's Convalecense +Hitpoints/Endurance IO.  Slot them in Health and that should fix your endurance issues.  Once you pick up Energy Drain, you won't necessarily need them so you can gift them to one of your other toons.  

Until you soft cap your defense like stated above, you'll feel inferior.  

Those of us that are Ebil spend a fair bit of time helping people not to over spend when we aren't swimming in our pools of influence Scooge McDuck style.  This is one of those moments. 

To get both of those IOs you really only need to spend 12-15 million (and 15 is silly impatient buying.)  Take the remainder and purchase your Glad+Defense.  If you are especially lucky you can pick up a Steadfast along the way though  admittedly for that you may need a lot of Luck Charms. 

Happy hunting and merry Christmas to all. 

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 1

I have a level 50 psi melee / EA brute (Apocryphael on Everlasting) and EA is probably the second-best defense-based set (after SR).  It suffers like ALL (but SR) in the Defense Debuff Resistance area (only getting a paltry 65% or so) which means your defense WILL get debuffed - especially in the near-end / end-game.  The endurance issues can mostly be overcome with slotting bonuses, and I use Energize often just for the Endurance Discount (30% if I remember, something around there, in-game monitoring shows just over 41%, but I have 9% from slotting).

Anyway, it's fairly survivable, but like ALL defense-based sets, you'll need help in the end game.  Even SR will get that one hit, in at 5% to hit, that goes SQUISH.  But SR also has scaling resistances built into it when health goes down.  Basically, they got it about as right as they can with SR, so all other defense sets are just gimmicky now.  A good use of defense would be pairing it with REGEN and a high health pool (hello, Willpower), sacrifice some soft-capping to pick up some resist and regen and +hp... sure thing!  Oh, and no clicking (which is good and bad, for another topic).

In the end, I enjoy playing my Psi/EA brute, I tanked Reichsmann recently (Kahn/Barracuda was the WST) and did alright.  Then when a LOT of spawns were down to just bosses, 1 or 2 big hits got thru at the same time and BAM, dead.  So it is defense's weakness the pow-dead affect, but it's pretty rare.

tl;dr:  it's a decent set, you WILL have to set-slot it to get the most out (but that's kind of true for everything).

• 2 weeks later
On 12/20/2019 at 8:09 AM, siolfir said:

Me too! These darn kids keep trampling the lawn... I remember having to actually work to get Fury on a Brute with a stealth power that doesn't suppress while attacking, faster-decaying Fury, and *gasp* no taunt aura. That's where most of the reputation comes from.

Back on live, after IO's were out but before you could change alignments, my EnergyMelee/EnergyArmor Brute was fun to play... but he was EXPENSIVE to kit out. 

And I had to take Taunt on him.  the actual TAUNT power.  And I wasn't afraid to use it, if that's what I had to do to hold aggro!

• 1 month later
On 12/13/2019 at 8:18 PM, Krazie Ivan said:

may i introduce you to /Regen?

of EnA's 2 clicks ... one isn't even split-second life or death... & the other shouldn't be if your build has a decent amount of Def & Res. 3 Toggles & 2 Autos ...cake.

Does nobody in CoH use alt modifiers? You dont even have to set thethem up in options alt + # is row 2 of your hot bars. 

35 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

But why does Energy Aura not have an option to turn off the "hidden costume" thing? Dark Armor used to have this feature as well and it got the option. That's the main thing keeping me from playing it. I just really dislike costume-hiding sets.

Just rolled my new DB Scrapper as /Elec over /Energy for this reason alone. Feel like it couldn’t be that hard to add the option if it’s already there for DA.

• 4 years later
On 2/11/2020 at 2:11 AM, crkohl said:

Just rolled my new DB Scrapper as /Elec over /Energy for this reason alone. Feel like it couldn’t be that hard to add the option if it’s already there for DA.

Is it Energy Cloak you mean?

Can you not customize it so it looks better?

6 minutes ago, KITANYA said:

Is it Energy Cloak you mean?

Can you not customize it so it looks better?

Given the person you are responding to last visited the forums over 3 years ago, I would not hold out much hope for a response.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1