Speech Bubble Font Selection

Steampunkette

That's it. That's the whole suggestion.

Allow us to have a drop-down on a character by character basis that allows us to choose the font for our specific speech bubbles and chat window.

Someone wants to be all fancy? Give 'em a Cursive font. Someone wants to show their character is robotic? Let 'em choose a chunky hard-edged font.

That's it. 

The generic font is fine, I can't think of any game that let you change fonts unless you know of one.  Most games go with the easiest to read, cursive suggestion would be difficult to read in a hurry during a fight if someone has the rime to type it.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

The generic font -is- fine. And I don't know of any game that allows you to change fonts.

And it might be difficult to read if they're typing in a heated combat.

But. The point is that comics use different fonts to present different "Voices" in text. Not just speech bubble color (Which we can already do and makes reading them in combat difficult). 

Here's an example:

Ironic+considering+every+single+thor+spe

Thor tends to speak in a more stylized font to show the difference in his voice compared to Captain America. It's not -needed-, obviously. You could just make him use fancier words or different colors.

And it's not needed in City of Heroes, either.

I'm not aware of how effort-intensive this would be. I can say that because Windows and Mac both come with a massive selection of fonts, the diversity of customization increase could be pretty massive even if we stick to the shared general list of fonts without letting people download and use special fonts.

Plus it'd be great to be able to make an Alien Character who sometimes swaps into Wingdings to communicate. And since CoH allows Click-Drag selection you can copy-paste those Wingdings into Word and translate them into Times New Roman!

It'd mostly be something roleplayers use, obviously.

8 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

But. The point is that comics use different fonts to present different "Voices" in text. Not just speech bubble color (Which we can already do and makes reading them in combat difficult)

You pretty much sum up what can already be done,  colored bubbles.  Its up to the player how to present it in what the font is.  We don't need  a thousand different styles and someone decides to make the equivalent to "walawala washinton" from the Buggs bunny skit getting an eye exame with small font.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

5 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

You pretty much sum up what can already be done,  colored bubbles.  Its up to the player how to present it in what the font is.  We don't need  a thousand different styles and someone decides to make the equivalent to "walawala washinton" from the Buggs bunny skit getting an eye exame with small font.

People already do Black on Black.

Or White on White.

Or Red on Green just to screw over colorblind people for a giggle.

That said, I'm not suggesting font size changes. Just font changes.

Comic Sans for Clowns and Young characters.

Verdana for those who are slightly louder than others.

Times New Roman for scientists and people who are precise.

Georgia, for those who wish to be marginally fancy.

Lucida sans Unicode for those Robots.

You get the idea.

And yeah. We don't -need- it. But we could have it. Maybe. If it's even possible. Which, y'know, I hope.

5 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

The generic font is fine, I can't think of any game that let you change fonts unless you know of one.  Most games go with the easiest to read, cursive suggestion would be difficult to read in a hurry during a fight if someone has the rime to type it.

24 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Agreed on both counts.

43 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Or White on White.

You get the idea.

And yeah. We don't -need- it. But we could have it. Maybe. If it's even possible. Which, y'know, I hope.

While those examples don't seem too problematic, some fonts can be rather difficult to read for some people (not even counting the intentional ones like windings). If something like this was done I'd propose the compromise of it only affecting the speech bubbles and not the chat log. Still good for RPing, and still readable by others.

6 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Comic Sans for Clowns and Young characters. <-- medium font

Verdana for those who are slightly louder than others. <-- large font

Times New Roman for scientists and people who are precise. <-- small font

Georgia, for those who wish to be marginally fancy. <-- medium font

Lucida sans Unicode for those Robots. <-- ehh, medium to largish font

Closely looking at the font, it can be different sizes even if they are all actually the same size.

I didn't mean changing of size, just it would be like squinting as Bugs when getting the test...actually Youtube shows it as the guy giving the test so there was some squinting in it 😋.  Yeah, the size does get smaller in that skit but as you notice above some fonts natually have different sizes.  Gods know I didn't abuse stuff like that in highscool when they said to write a 3 page report (not font directed, teachers would always say a specific font)....just 1.05 instead of 1 inch margins or slightly increased spaces between the lines; you could half ass another half a page as the spaces start to add up 😏

If we got it, I know I'd end up using it, I;'d like a 'distressed' one for example.

It seems like it should be something easy to do, but I'm no coder.  I want bold and italics too.

Sure, why not?  But if it doesn't happen, not gonna cry over it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 years later
On 12/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, Steampunkette said:

Or White on White.

You get the idea.

comic-sans-does-not-play-well-with-other
https://www.logodesignteam.com/blog/10-hilarious-comic-sans-meme-light-day/

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

That lets you know who to block!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝