1 hour ago, BrandX said:

I really feel Dominator's need a weapon set!

Urban Assault - a mix of street justice and dual pistols!

Switch Ammo - Load you pistols AND your punches with various rounds for a variety of effects! 🙂

Or skip Switch Ammo and just give it lethal rounds!  But really think Doms need a good weapon set!

I believe @Night made a pretty good one recently that was different enough to the Dual Pistols themed one @Player2 created!

It's called Weapon Assault, and plays with the idea of using a melee weapon in one hand and a gun in the other 🙂

So with these suggestions we have options for single or dual wielding play playstyles 😄

Edited by Tyrannical

6 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I believe @Night made a pretty good one recently that was different enough to the Dual Pistols themed one @Player2 created!

It's called Weapon Assault, and plays with the idea of using a melee weapon in one hand and a gun in the other 🙂

So with these suggestions we have options for single or dual wielding play playstyles 😄

And I believe I made a suggestion earlier as well (Urban Assault, I believe I called it).  However, as I looked at making a Dom, it just dawned on me how much more we need such a set 🙂

• Like 1

1000% agreement!

Seriously!

And Controllers too!

So many great ideas in this thread for both!

So many great ideas -outside of this thread- too!

Not to be ungrateful, because clearly hard work went in to both Electrical Affinity and Sonic Manipulation, but . . . 

Can we please have something Natural in the Control department already?

Something "mundane" in the Assaults?

Pretty please with extra fromage on top?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Not to be ungrateful, because clearly hard work went in to both Electrical Affinity and Sonic Manipulation, but . . . 

Can we please have something Natural in the Control department already?

Something "mundane" in the Assaults?

Pretty please with extra fromage on top?

I've done my best to try and accommodate for more "natural/mundane" themes throughout the thread, as have others too!

I'm in complete agreement that there needs to be more options for characters like that, especially for Controllers and Dominators, who are considerably limited when it comes to these themes. Martial Assault was a good start, so now all that needs to be done is to find a good primary to fit with it.

Of all the creations I've put forward, Trickery is the one I think I'd like to see come to life. Not only is it an ideal combination for Martial Assault, but it also pairs well with Traps, Poison and Trick Arrow. Plus, it's probably one of the easiest powersets to make since most of the powers are in game already, it just needs a few additions to make it work. 😄

Edited by Tyrannical

Now that issue 27 is out, I can finally reveal one of the ideas I've been sitting on!

It's nothing special, but I wanted to wait and see how Sonic Manipulation turned out as it's final version before I wanted to introduce the next Assault powerset I had in mind; Sonic Assault!

Sonic Assault

Sonic Assault allows you to blast your foes with a barrage of sonic attacks. Many such powers have the ability to cause migraines, leaving them pained and helpless. 

SonicBlast Quick.png - Shriek: Taken from Sonic Blast, ideal for that T1 blast power

SonicManipulation_StridentEcho.png.75c9a3d2baf66dc56a4f6678f31502e6.png - Strident Echo: An all new power from Sonic Manipulation, works nice as the first melee power

SonicBlast Cone.png - Howl: Another one from Sonic Blast, a cone attack as you'd expect in most other Assault sets

SonicBlast Medium.png - Scream: A stronger Sonic Blast ranged power, with a little more punch to it

SonicManipulation_BuildUp.png.5ac1803a482553b4063bc6c5f9f328df.png - Sound Booster: Another new Sonic Manipulation power. Works like Build Up, but with more chance of creating migraines

SonicManipulation_DeafeningCry.png.1ed9159d34ebd539dbc79579b21c6f71.png - Deafening Wave: Another Sonic Manipulation power, this time fitting the melee AoE attack that most Assault powers get.

SonicBlast Stun.png - Screech: This power from Sonic Blast fills a similar role as seen in other Assault sets, providing some light single target mez

SonicManipulation_Earsplitter.png.3b66ed36b218381f48f436c1aa92e784.png - Earsplitter: The final power from Sonic Manipulation, which works perfect as the high damage melee attack most Assault sets have

SonicBlast Heavy.png - Shout: A good T9 power from Sonic Blast to wrap it all up, fitting that low range-high damage function perfectly

(An this means that it's a powerset made 100% out of existing powers, no tweaks necessary!)

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

(sorry the icons are so big, I pulled the Manipulation ones right from the I27 page, and it looked odd having a mixture of big and small ones!

If you double-click on a picture while you're making your post, you can edit the size of it.

Edited by Vanden
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see Munitions themed Assault and Control sets, so we can have Doms and Trollers with a guns vibe instead of them all just being mystic\elemental in nature.

I'd also really like to see the Demon Summoning whip proliferated to ranged, melee and maybe even assault/control. It's just too awesome of a power effect to have to settle for petless MMs if you dislike the demons themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starhammer said:

I would love to see Munitions themed Assault and Control sets, so we can have Doms and Trollers with a guns vibe instead of them all just being mystic\elemental in nature.

I'd also really like to see the Demon Summoning whip proliferated to ranged, melee and maybe even assault/control. It's just too awesome of a power effect to have to settle for petless MMs if you dislike the demons themselves.

Thankfully there's a lot of options here for rifles, handguns and grenades for Controllers/Dominators.

As for the Demon Summoning whip, Hellfire Manipulation would probably be the most viable one to go for, followed by Hellfire Assault and Melee. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

As for the Demon Summoning whip, Hellfire Manipulation would probably be the most viable one to go for, followed by Hellfire Assault and Melee. 🙂 

I'd love to see the flames optional on that whip too. Just by eliminating that effect, you get an excellent Laser Lash. Oh what despicable acts I would perform to get access to it in a chain format too, with or without the flames... but I don't think any of the devs are doing that kind of work on the game 😞

10 minutes ago, Starhammer said:

I'd love to see the flames optional on that whip too. Just by eliminating that effect, you get an excellent Laser Lash. Oh what despicable acts I would perform to get access to it in a chain format too, with or without the flames... but I don't think any of the devs are doing that kind of work on the game 😞

No idea! I know a lot of Praetorian mobs use the whip stuff with different coloration; Carnival of Light, The Awakened, Dredges... all of them have the fiery FX on the whip though, so it might be baked into the whip itself 😞

9 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

No idea! I know a lot of Praetorian mobs use the whip stuff with different coloration; Carnival of Light, The Awakened, Dredges... all of them have the fiery FX on the whip though, so it might be baked into the whip itself 😞

Probably. The Praetorian stuff came out the same time as Demon Summoning, so I expect they just did a lot of copy/pasta. Vanden's point about using the FX to hide poor whip animation is probably spot on too.

Ultimately Just having access to a Whip pool on a Blaster or Brute would be far more important than whether it has flames.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a lot of desire for gun kata characters back on Live when dual pistols were first hinted at.  A melee version of dual pistols with good close range AoE damage and some actual melee attacks (pistol whipping enemies) could be doable.  I'm just spitballing here, so I haven't thought out any power names, but...

T1:  single target, Melee Light DMG  (animation: War Mace -> Pulverize, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T2:  narrow cone, Close Range Moderate DMG  [two targets max, one for each bullet]  (animation: DP -> Dual Wield)

T3:  single target, Melee High DMG  (animation: War Mace -> Crowd Control, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T4:  cone, Close Range, Moderate DMG  [max targets normal for AT]  (animation: DP -> Empty Clips)

T5:  Reach for the Limit  (as the Martial Combat blaster secondary power)

T6:  Confront / Taunt  (animation: Staff Fighting -> Confront/Tauntbut with pistols in hand instead of a staff)

T7:  single target, Melee Superior DMG  (animation: Super Strength -> Punch, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T8:  single target, ranged High DMG  (animation: DP -> Executioner's Shot)

T9:  PBAoE Moderate DMG to everything in Close Range  (animation: DP -> Hail of Bullets)

I'll let someone else play with the numbers specifics.  I tended to err on the low side with damage to make up for the set having a little bit of range to it.  I think Reach for the Limit is a good substitute for a Build Up effect because it plays to the whole idea of the gun kata style, looking for vulnerabilities in foes' stance & positioning and having a chance to gain to hit and damage bonus with each attack you make for a short time.

Okay, someone name these powers, tweak as needed, and wrap it up.  I want to see it in the next build on the test server.  😁

3 hours ago, Player2 said:

I seem to recall a lot of desire for gun kata characters back on Live when dual pistols were first hinted at.  A melee version of dual pistols with good close range AoE damage and some actual melee attacks (pistol whipping enemies) could be doable.  I'm just spitballing here, so I haven't thought out any power names, but...

T1:  single target, Melee Light DMG  (animation: War Mace -> Pulverize, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T2:  narrow cone, Close Range Moderate DMG  [two targets max, one for each bullet]  (animation: DP -> Dual Wield)

T3:  single target, Melee High DMG  (animation: War Mace -> Crowd Control, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T4:  cone, Close Range, Moderate DMG  [max targets normal for AT]  (animation: DP -> Empty Clips)

T5:  Reach for the Limit  (as the Martial Combat blaster secondary power)

T6:  Confront / Taunt  (animation: Staff Fighting -> Confront/Tauntbut with pistols in hand instead of a staff)

T7:  single target, Melee Superior DMG  (animation: Super Strength -> Punch, but with pistols in hand instead of a mace)

T8:  single target, ranged High DMG  (animation: DP -> Executioner's Shot)

T9:  PBAoE Moderate DMG to everything in Close Range  (animation: DP -> Hail of Bullets)

I'll let someone else play with the numbers specifics.  I tended to err on the low side with damage to make up for the set having a little bit of range to it.  I think Reach for the Limit is a good substitute for a Build Up effect because it plays to the whole idea of the gun kata style, looking for vulnerabilities in foes' stance & positioning and having a chance to gain to hit and damage bonus with each attack you make for a short time.

Okay, someone name these powers, tweak as needed, and wrap it up.  I want to see it in the next build on the test server.  😁

Man, you've made my Heroic Blade powerset but for guns and with a straight face. You maniac

• Like 1

@Player2I would say to make a melee set like this stand out compared to the Pistol Assault suggestion you made would be perhaps going for a single pistol for a new and unique angle.

That way you can truly capture the CQC gunmanship you see from like likes of John Wick or Big Boss. Plus, it means we can have characters with a single gun instead of two, while also making a weapon powerset that is shield accessible.

As far as animations go, it would simply be a matter of retooling the powers from Street Justice, as well as the alternative animations for Martial Arts and Super Strength to create the bulk of the melee animations, and using NPC pistol animations and a few single-firearm Dual Pistols powers to create some close ranged bullet attacks.

Edited by Tyrannical

54 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

@Player2I would say to make a melee set like this stand out compared to the Pistol Assault suggestion you made would be perhaps going for a single pistol for a new and unique angle.

That way you can truly capture the CQC gunmanship you see from like likes of John Wick or Big Boss. Plus, it means we can have characters with a single gun instead of two, while also making a weapon powerset that is shield accessible.

As far as animations go, it would simply be a matter of retooling the powers from Street Justice, as well as the alternative animations for Martial Arts and Super Strength to create the bulk of the melee animations, and using NPC pistol animations and a few single-firearm Dual Pistols powers to create some close ranged bullet attacks.

While a shield friendly gun set is an admirable goal, I think what people want is something along the lines of Equilibrium.

AdeptConcreteBanteng-small.gif

1 hour ago, Player2 said:

While a shield friendly gun set is an admirable goal, I think what people want is something along the lines of Equilibrium.

They sorta already have it!

Well, it's more Wanted than Equilibrium with all the bullet curving Dual Pistols offers, but close enough! I do like the idea of a close ranged pistol set, though it definitely seems like more of an Assault theme than a Melee theme. Having a single pistol at least keeps a hand free for CQC, so I can kiiinda see that working, if it's close enough in design to Claws, Spines, Kinetic or Staff, where there is certainly some ranged capability.

• Thanks 1

On the topic of guns, I think I may have missed a major opportunity. The 'Enforcers' henchmen from the Thugs powerset actually have a unique set of powers when they're fully upgraded, giving them Dual Uzis with a suite of animations built especially for them.

Now, I know we already have Dual Pistols and Assault Rifle, but I think Dual SMGs could well be a good middle ground between the two that has its own style. To help make it more than just a 'lethal DoT' powerset, I came up with a combo mechanic for the set so it doesn't feel like you're just standing around and shooting.

Dual SMGs

You have in your possession two automatic firearms that are capable of unleashing a torrent of bullets on your foes. Attacking foes with Dual SMGs powers builds stacks of 'Focused Fire'. At 5 stacks of Focused Fire, your next cone attack power will have a larger area of effect and hit additional targets.

DualPistols Pistols.png - Burst: Renamed version of 'Uzi Burst', deals minor lethal DoT and reduces defense slightly.

DualPistols DualWield.png - Heavy Burst: Renamed version of 'Uzi Heavy Burst', deals high lethal DoT and reduces defense slightly.

ThornyAssault FlingThorns.png - Bullet Spray: Renamed version of 'Uzi Cone Blast', deals moderate DoT in a cone and reduces defense. With 5 stacks of Focused Fire, maximum targets and AoE is increased.

CrabSpider Slice.png - Aimed Shots: A new power that uses the NPC 'Wild Shot' animation, firing quick shots from one of your SMGs. Deals light damage but has a heavier defense debuff. This power generates 2 stacks of Focused Fire instead of one.

CrabSpider Aim.png - Focus Aim: A power that works like Aim, but also generates 5 stacks of Focused Fire

DualPistols EmptyClips.png - Dual Burst: Renamed version of 'Dual Uzis', deals heavy lethal DoT damage in a cone and reduces defense. With 5 stacks of Focused Fire, maximum targets and AoE is increased.

AssaultWeapons ARM30grenade.png - Blast Clip: Same power as the one belonging to Enforcers. Deals moderate lethal/smashing damage in an AoE and knocks them back.

DualPistols ExecutionersShot.png - Aimed Blast: Another new power that uses the Thugs 'Empty Clips' animation. Deals high lethal damage and severely reduces defense. This power generates 2 stacks of Focused Fire instead of one.

AssaultWeapons ARFullAuto.png - Bullet Storm: A new power that uses a slower version of the 'Steam Spray' animation, with SMGs in hand. Deals Superior lethal DoT and reduces defense greatly.  With 5 stacks of Focused Fire, maximum targets and AoE is increased.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 3

I got one more manipulation set that I'm gonna be a bit cheeky with. I'm gonna try combining Storm Summoning with Wind Control.

Yeah, Wind Control, that Control powerset that never was. Now, I'm only gonna use a few powers from it, and hopefully it could even be used as a launching pad to bring Wind Control fully into the game? I dunno. The powers I'm using will probably be different in effect, such is the way of Manipulation powersets anyway. The idea for this Manipulation set is to take that 'Pressure' mechanic from Wind Control and use it here, and try and make it look somewhat like newer Manipulation powersets in design.

Storm Manipulation

SonicManipulation SonicThrust.png - Air Push: A new power that functions identically to Ki Push, with the same animation. Knockback and damage improves with Pressure level.

StormSummoning SnowStorm.png - Snowfall: A modified smaller version of Snow Storm, creating an AoE patch instead of being a toggle, so it acts like Caltrops or Glue Arrow

WindControl Downdraft.png - Downdraft: A hold power taken from Wind Control

SonicManipulation BuildUp.png - Pressure Build Up: A standard Build Up power that also applies stacks of Pressure

WindControl Thundergust.png - Thundergust: Another Wind Control power, acting as a good cone debuff power that builds Pressure.

SonicManipulation SoundBarrier.png - Stormfront: A new toggle power that increases regeneration and recovery, while boosting resistance to cold and energy damage. Covers the body in the Thunderhead aura

StormSummoning FreezingRain.png - Freezing Rain: Taken from Storm Summoning, makes for a nice debuff power with some DoT potential

WindControl Microburst.png - Microburst: Another Wind Control power that instead consumes Pressure, dealing stun and a heavy debuff.

StormSummoning LightningStorm.png - Lightning Storm: The final power from Storm Summoning. Works nice as a T9 damage power similar to a few other Manipulation powersets

I appreciate that using stuff from Wind Control is a bit of a reach, but I think we could probably use assets already in game to help visualise it. I had a few real basic ideas how to do that. I figured I'd just tack it onto this post instead of making another thread. To visualise this set, motions similar to Water blast and Kinetic Melee would work nicely, a lot of waving and swooshing, with some more traditional Control stuff mixed in too.

POWER ANIMATION FX
WindControl Updraft.png Updraft GravityControl Lift.png Lift Similar to that of IceArmor IceArmor.png Frozen Armor's activation FX, where the wind coils upwards.
WindControl Downdraft.png Downdraft Flight ArialAssault.png Air Superiority Same as above, but in reverse.
WindControl Breathless.png Breathless WaterBlast Dehydrate.png Dehydrate A smaller version of DarknessControl HeartofDarkness.png Heart of Darkness, with a reversed MartialManipulation ReactionTime.png Reaction Time FX on the inside.
WindControl WindShear.png Windshear  KineticBoost Repel.png Repel A personal version of DarknessControl ShadowField.png Shadow Field centered on the player. 
WindControl Thundergust.png Thundergust KineticAttack RepulsingTorrent.png Repulsing Torrent Smaller version of StormSummoning Gale.png Gale, but with StormSummoning ThunderClap.png Thunder Clap FX added in too
WindControl Microburst.png Microburst StormSummoning ThunderClap.png Thunder Clap Similar to StormSummoning Gale.png Gale, but delivered from above. 
WindControl KeeningWinds.png Keening Winds KineticAttack FocusedBurst.png Focused Burst uses the DarknessControl ShadowField.png Shadow Field FX to create a bubble, filled with dense clouds and dusty particle FX
WindControl Vacuum.png Vacuum KineticAttack TotalFocus.png Concentrated Strike Uses a DarknessControl ShadowField.png Shadow Field FX, but with the StormSummoning Hurricane.png Hurricane FX on the feet of the target
WindControl Vortex.png Vortex WaterBlast HydroBlast.png Hydro Blast A tiny floating bubble with uses the DarknessControl ShadowField.png Shadow Field FX again, with cloudy/dusty particle FX inside the sphere.

Naturally, a lot of these powers are also going to have particle FX from Storm Summoning, Cold Domination, maybe even Staff Fighting too. But the primary visuals will be similar to Darkness Control and Storm Summoning since they best fill in for what we need.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 5

Since I don't recall my previous version and I had been thinking of it a little more...

Telekinetic/Gravity Epic Pool (for Scrappers/Stalkers)

Lift (Just like Gravity Control)

Telekinetic Restraint (Gravity Distortion, but with Soul Storm's Animation)

Propel (Just like Gravity Control, but decent numbers)

Mass Lift (Just like Lift, but targetted AOE)

Personal Force Sheath (Passive +3% Defense/Resist All)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

Since I don't recall my previous version and I had been thinking of it a little more...

Telekinetic/Gravity Epic Pool (for Scrappers/Stalkers)

Lift (Just like Gravity Control)

Telekinetic Restraint (Gravity Distortion, but with Soul Storm's Animation)

Propel (Just like Gravity Control, but decent numbers)

Mass Lift (Just like Lift, but targetted AOE)

Personal Force Sheath (Passive +3% Defense/Resist All)

Funny you mention this, I have something planned that I'll reveal Soon™

5 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

Funny you mention this, I have something planned that I'll reveal Soon™

My idea was trying to look at the other sets, but then replaced Immobilize with Knock Up.

I actually feel the order of the set would be best like...

Lift

Propel

Telekinetic Restraint

Mass Lift

Personal Force Sheath

As I like the Patreon Epics orders better.  I'd also make Propel do decent damage, maybe even treat it like a Snipe.  Though, it doesn't have to be turned into a Snipe, but I've always thought the blasts should do good DPS to be made part of one's attacks, and for Stalkers and Scrappers that generally means, make it a Snipe.

Though they could just go through the Epics and give them some damage.