On 2/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, OmnibusOmnh said:

Praetorian Pool Powers Part 2 for @Player2

Continuation of my Praetorian Pool Powers these are the Epic Pool Ancillaries

Called Praetor Pool Powers

suggestion for Eco Friendly Powerset Recycling by @Tyrannical in response to @Player2 

dealing with the enemy factions of First and Night Ward

Luminescence - Carnival of Light

Harness the powers of light to ward off threats through radiating energy of the Carnival of Light.

CarnivalOfLight LuminousFist.png - Luminous Fist: A common Carnival of Light attack used by minions, deals minor energy and smashing damage and a slight chance of decreasing foes energy defense and resistance. 

CarnivalOfLight LuminousStrike.png - Luminous Strike: A common CoL attack, bring your fist down to land a powerful blow, dealing extreme energy and smashing damage, will knockdown a foe.

CarnivalOfLight RadiantBurst.png Radiant Burst: Unique CoL move, channel energy through you light staff in a massive burst of energy, its output overwhelm a foes senses igniting them on fire, degrading their endurance.

CarnivalOfLight MistressBlessing.png - Blessing of Light: Unique to Resplendent Mistress, manifest light as a superior shield against negative energy damage

CarnivalOfLight ShiningBlast.png - Shining Blast: Unique to Resplendent Mistress, deals high energy and decreases foes recovery and to hit

Enragement - Apparitions

Maintain the overwhelming emotional power of the pain of those detached from the physical plain

Apparitions HatefulBlast.png - Wrathful Blast: A common Apparition attack used by minions, unleash a bolt of pure hatred, deals minor negative and lethal damage and a reduces foes damage output. 

Apparitions BalefulLash.png - Baleful Thrash: A common Apparition attack, sweep a whip of hatred, deals moderate negative and lethal DoT

Apparitions WeakenResolve.png Weaken Resolve: Unique to Dispersed Impressions, manifest a strike of depression, removing an opponents means of travel, deals moderate negative DoT and -Speed

Apparitions WrathfulSiphon.png - Wrathful Siphon: Unique to Apparition Lieutenants, direct anger which causes a foe to panic, causing them to dealing negative and lethal damage, their suffering will return to you as HP

Apparitions Merge.png - Merged Spectres: Unique Apparition Move, ideally an apparition at near death would merge into a stronger spirt, but as you a player are not in an enemy group you'd extract a fragment of your soul significantly boosting an allies health and strength. Basic ally heal. 

(Thought it would be a unique concept)

Talons - Talons of Vengeance

Harness the power of prophecy, engage in combat with the ancient attributes of myth of the talons along with the vengeance enchanted upon their foes

(These sets contain damage mergers as the talons manipulate multiple affinities so I combined a few so the attacks are unique and so your not stuck on using basic elemental attacks you already may have 

EX; Flares, Frost Bolt etc...)

Apparitions HatefulBlast.png - Elemental Blast: (Ideally a common Talons of Vengeance attack but as they control various elements I merged them into a single blast) used by minions, release a bolt of elemental energy, deals moderate elemental damage (Fire/Ice/Energy) same as a basic blast but adjusted to deal multiple elemental damages.

TalonsOfVengeance TalonBlade.png - Talon Blade: A common ToV attack, curses victims with negative energy, adjusted to deal moderate damage

TalonsOfVengeance Thunderclap.png Thunderclap: Common among stronger Talon tiers, disorient most foes over a PBAoE, additional DoT and -Perception

TalonsOfVengeance BitterIceBlast.png - Bitter Blaze Blast: Another common amongst higher ToV tiers, adjusted to deal Fire and Ice damage, can still use the same animation and FX as bitter ice blast, perhaps an additional fire aura can be added, deal high damage

TalonsOfVengeance FlowLightning.png - Shadowshock:  Essential Flow Lightning from higher tired ToV but affects are added from Shadow Drain to include lightning and darkness into a single attack. Deals extreme damage, foe -End     -Rec +DMG - ToHit +DMG (Energy) +DEF (Energy)

Spellcasting - Animus Arcana

Cast the magic spells of Night Ward through your mystic knowledge the to breath life into inanimate objects that assist and aid you in combat.

Empathy AbsorbPain.png -Burst of Light: Basic heal from ball of Light Animus Arcana, will summon a ball of light to heal you as attack is preformed

FireBlast FireBlast.png - Fire Blast: A common Fires spell move, basic fire attack, added to summon a fireball animus arcana, deals moderate fire damage

IceBlast FreezeRay.png Freeze Ray: Common Ice Blast move, dealing high damage among stronger Talon tiers, disorient most foes over a PBAoE, additional DoT and -Perception

AnimusArcana Propel.png - Propel:  Basic gravity control attack, adjusted to deal extreme smashing damage, summon a Time Stop animus arcana

TalonsOfVengeance Resistance.png - Overspell: Essentially damage resistance to all elemental and smashing damage, added to summon the Ward to cast the spell on you 

Soulscorching - Drudges

Reap the soul of your victims and burn the willingness to live by directly striking at their spirit, critically deteriorating their existence 

Drudges NetherWhip.png - Soul Lash: Basic attack used by Watchers, create a powerful whip of energy to lash on your foe, adjusted to deals minor negative energy damage

Drudges CrowdControl.png - Soul Crush: A common move used by Patrolmen of the Drudges, swing your mace unleashing a bolt of energy, scorching their soul, adjusted to deal moderate negative and smashing damage

Drudges ProtonScatter.png Soul Stream: Common attack used by Spirit Guide Drudges, create a stream of energy that attack the soul of the target, deals high energy and negative damage

Drudges Haunt.pngHaunt:  A summon unique to lamplighters, summon a pair of shades that deal moderate damage on a foe

Drudges Clobber.png - Soul Strike: Common attack among Spirit Guides, same animation and FX as Incandescent Strike, a forceful blow that that strike at the very soul, deals superior energy and negative energy 

Netherguard - The Black Knights

Utilize the gear and utilities of the ancient order of the dead. 

BlackKnights NetherArrow.png - Nether Arrow: Basic attack used by Black Feathers, fires an arrow of nether energy immobilizing a foe, adjusted to deal minor smashing damage and maintains minor negative DoT

BlackKnights SerpentsReach.png - Serpents Reach: A common move used by Eternal Guards, release a burst of nether energy from your staff, adjusted to deal moderate smashing damage

BlackKnights MercurialBlow.png Mercurial Blow: Basically the same attack from Staff Fighting, used the same animation and FX from degrades a foes defense

BlackKnights NetherBlade.png Nether Blade:  Another common attack used by the Black Knights, discharge a beam of nether energy from your sword, adjusted to deal high negative energy damage and minor fire DoT

BlackKnights GrantCover.png - Grant Cover: Common move among Armigers, use your shield to defend allies nearby, provides +DEF and REs to all but psionic over a PBAoE 

Shadowhunting - Spirit Walkers

Amplify your primal predatorial instincts to become a physical beacon of the circle of life, adapting to the prowl of the night 

SpiritStalkers EntanglingArrow.png - Entangling Arrow: Common among Huntmasters, fires a netted arrow restricting a foes movements, -Fly -Rech (Foe) -Speed (Foe All)

SpiritStalkers Resistance.png Wilderness Will: Basically damaged resistance, adjusted to include smashing lethal, toxic, and fire

SpiritStalkers DireHowl.png Dire Howl: Common attack used by Shadow Hounds, unleash a dreadful howl inflicting fear of a foe, deals moderate energy damage, minor negative energy damage and -Res (Foe All) 

SpiritStalkers BlazingArrow.png Ranking Claws:  Another common attack used by Shadow Hounds, viciously tear your target apart with your claws causing lethal damage, deals Lethal Dot and Lethal damage

SpiritStalkers LeaderOfThePack.png - Leader of the Pack: Unique to Wodans, increases allies moral with a powerful howl, +DMG(Team All) +speed (Team Run), + Per(Team)

Been hounding for these for ages. +1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Going over some old ideas and I figured I'd try and use some of the FX from Nature Affinity and Plant Control to work it into an armor powerset. It'll share a lot of similarities with Stone Armor, but focusing on resistance instead of defense.

Nature Armor

StoneArmor StoneArmor.png - Wild Armor: Standard smashing/lethal resist toggle power (with a little cold resist too), with the same target FX of 'Entangling Aura' (coiling leaves around the player).

BioOrganicArmor GeneticContamination.png - Barbs: An AoE damage toggle that deals lethal damage, has a similar appearance to 'Entangle/Roots', but larger and focused on the player (Stalkers get Hide at T1 instead).

StoneArmor MagmaArmor.png - Verdant Armor: A fire/cold resist toggle power with a +healing received buff, has the same floral FX as many Nature Affinity powers (Regrowth, Wild Growth, Rebirth, etc.) but on the player. 

StoneArmor StoneArmor.png - Barkskin: An autopower that increases resistance to smashing/lethal and boosts MaxHealth

StoneArmor Rooted.png - Rooted: Same power as the Stone Armor version, but instead of rocks forming on the player's legs, instead vines similar to the ones from 'Strangler' coil around the character's legs.

RadiationArmor ProtonTherapy.png - Nature's Healing: A simple click power that heals the player and grants resistance to toxic damage and -heal debuffs. Similar glow to 'Regrowth' with leaves fluttering around the character.

StoneArmor CrystalArmor.png - Fungal Armor: Another toggle power that gives energy/negative/toxic resistance. Similar visual to Spore Cloud's target FX, growing mushrooms on the player.

RadiationArmor GammaBoost.png - Photosynthesis: Another autopower, increasing regeneration and recovery

StoneArmor Granite.png - One with Nature: A click power that greatly increases defense and grants a huge stack of absorb. Similar visuals to 'Rebirth', but on the player. Also gives the player the 'leaves' aura for a short duration

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 7

Following on from this thread I decided to take a stab at the idea of making a beam-focused blast set that doesn't use a rifle.

In order to make it different enough to Beam Rifle, I decided to make this powerset energy/fire damage based, as well as reducing enemy DEF. This powerset has two animation styles; eye-lasers and arm-lasers so it can have a few different concepts to play with.

I know this means yet another energy damage blast set, but I'm hoping by making it a split between energy/fire we can forgive that and play a little more on the 'heat vision' theme that comes with the whole laser thing. 

The unique mechanic I was thinking with this powerset is perhaps generates stacks of 'laser focus' that increases your accuracy the more you use your single target powers. Laser focus is lost when you next use an AoE power (cutting laser, piercing laser, laser blast)

Laser Blast

BeamRifle SingleShot.png - Laser Bolt: Standard fast attack, dealing low energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as Robotic's 'Pulse Rifle Blast', with the animation of 'Psionic Dart'/'Neutrino Bolt'

BeamRifle ChargedShot.png - Laser Beam: A harder hitting blast attack, dealing moderate energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as Energy Mastery's 'Laser Eye Beam', with the animation of 'Laser Eye Beam'/'X-Ray Beam AltFX'

BeamRifle CuttingBeam.png - Sweeping Laser: A cone attack power, dealing moderate energy/fire damage to foes and heavily reducing defense. Same FX as War Walker's 'Sweeping Laser', with the animation of 'Shout'/'Steam Spray'

BeamRifle LancerShot.png - Laser Burst: A much stronger blast attack, dealing high energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as Robotics' 'Pulse Rifle Burst', with the animation of 'Scramble Thoughts'/'Cosmic Burst AltFX'

BeamRifle Aim.png - Aim: Standard Aim power

BeamRifle PenetratingRay.png - Focused Beam: A snipe power, dealing extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as the Mk-VI VIctoria 'Plasma Eye Ray', with the animation of 'Psionic Lance'/'Sniper Blast'

PowerBlast PowerBurst.png - Power Beam: A heavy blast attack, dealing superior energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as Clockwork's 'Anti Matter Ray', with the animation of 'Terrify'/'Power Burst', or the classic Clockwork chest beam.

BeamRifle Disintegrate.png - Melting Ray: A debuff power, dealing high energy/fire DoT and reducing both defense and resistance. Same FX as Clockwork's 'Welding Ray' with the animation of 'Mental Blast'/'Power Push'

BeamRifle Overcharge.png - Laser Blast: A massive cone attack, dealing Extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense and resistance. Same FX as the Clockwork 'Anti Matter Beam', with the animation of 'Liquefy AltFX (old)'/'Thunderous Blast', or the classic Clockwork chest beam.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 4

Some melee epics.

TheaterPoster_TimeGladiator.png.b73741944f18b2bfe873db09cd06ce6d.png

Time Mastery - Brute, Tanker

This is based heavily on Earth Mastery, and pulls from Time Manipulation (Support set) and Temporal Manipulation (Manipulation set).  It lacks a "blast" and in fact most moves don't deal damage, so leaving in the "Delayed" mechanic is probably fine.  It can be shifted to be more in common with Arctic by dropping the 3rd power for something like a ranged version of Aging Touch.

TimeManipulation TimeWall.png - Time Wall: From Temporal, ST immobilize with some riders

TimeManipulation TimeStop.png - Time Stop: All Time sets have this.  ST Hold.

TimeManipulation TimesJuncture.png - Time's Juncture / GravityControl DimensionShift2.png - Dimension Shift / ForceField RefractionShield.png - Detention Field: Time's Juncture seems like a decent stand-in for Soul Mastery> Darkest Night, but I think it's too strong on the rest of the chassis. 

More likely is Dimension Shift or even Detention Field to provide a "limited" control similar to Earth Mastery's Salt Crystals.  Honestly, I think this would actually be really powerful on a Tanker, whose life more immediately depends on a good Capture.

This represents taking an enemy out of the timeline.

TimeManipulation DistortionField.png - Distortion Field: From Time, location AoE slow with a tiny chance for holds (2-3% every time it ticks the location)

TimeManipulation TimeShift.png - Time Shift: From Temporal.  Targeted AoE Disorient, -Speed, -ToHit.

Future Mastery - Scrapper, Stalker

I took a lot more liberty with this one.  I took design cues mainly from the Patron pools, but I didn't follow my own guidelines that closely.

BeamRifle SingleShot.png - Single Shot: Beam Rifle t1 (Charged Shot might be better just due to the name).

TimeManipulation TimeStop.png - Time Stop: ST hold

Invisibility PhaseShift.png - Back to the Future: A Phase Shift clone.  You begin to fade from polaroids of family photos.

BeamRifle CuttingBeam.png - Cutting Beam: Beam Rifle cone attack

Illusions Phantasm.png - Loop time: Summon duplicate of self (I'm hopeful we can summon an ally pet version of the characters that appear in Keith Nance's arc) to fight for you for a while.    Remember to travel back in time whenever you're logged out to help out previous versions of yourself!

Edited by Replacement
Protip: dragging icons from the wiki window over here seems to result in a lot of broken pictures.  copying them and pasting into the post seems to work better.
  • Like 5

On 3/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, Tyrannical said:

Going over some old ideas and I figured I'd try and use some of the FX from Nature Affinity and Plant Control to work it into an armor powerset. It'll share a lot of similarities with Stone Armor, but focusing on resistance instead of defense.

Nature Armor

StoneArmor StoneArmor.png - Wild Armor: Standard smashing/lethal resist toggle power (with a little cold resist too), with the same target FX of 'Entangling Aura' (coiling leaves around the player).

BioOrganicArmor GeneticContamination.png - Barbs: An AoE damage toggle that deals lethal damage, has a similar appearance to 'Entangle/Roots', but larger and focused on the player (Stalkers get Hide at T1 instead).

StoneArmor MagmaArmor.png - Verdant Armor: A fire/cold resist toggle power with a +healing received buff, has the same floral FX as many Nature Affinity powers (Regrowth, Wild Growth, Rebirth, etc.) but on the player. 

StoneArmor StoneArmor.png - Barkskin: An autopower that increases resistance to smashing/lethal and boosts MaxHealth

StoneArmor Rooted.png - Rooted: Same power as the Stone Armor version, but instead of rocks forming on the player's legs, instead vines similar to the ones from 'Strangler' coil around the character's legs.

RadiationArmor ProtonTherapy.png - Nature's Healing: A simple click power that heals the player and grants resistance to toxic damage and -heal debuffs. Similar glow to 'Regrowth' with leaves fluttering around the character.

StoneArmor CrystalArmor.png - Fungal Armor: Another toggle power that gives energy/negative/toxic resistance. Similar visual to Spore Cloud's target FX, growing mushrooms on the player.

RadiationArmor GammaBoost.png - Photosynthesis: Another autopower, increasing regeneration and recovery

StoneArmor Granite.png - One with Nature: A click power that greatly increases defense and grants a huge stack of absorb. Similar visuals to 'Rebirth', but on the player. Also gives the player the 'leaves' aura for a short duration

I feel like this needs a debuff somewhere... like in Fungal Armor it could have an AoE debuff off yourself with the spores or such? I like the idea of Verdant allowing you to receive more buffs as well, maybe that could be a theme in the set?

3 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I feel like this needs a debuff somewhere... like in Fungal Armor it could have an AoE debuff off yourself with the spores or such? I like the idea of Verdant allowing you to receive more buffs as well, maybe that could be a theme in the set?

Some interesting thoughts there. I still tend to think "well it already has a taunt aura" but there's precedent for two. 

About the idea of +incoming buffs. if you just mean more +incoming healing, sure.  If you mean like "make incoming support effects stronger" like a power boost effect... Yeesh, that seems hard. I'm pretty sure that's directly impossible.

The dirty secret of Nature Affinity is that it debuffs your ally's healing resist. This trick doesn't work for most (all?) other debuffs, which are set to ignore resistances explicitly. They're set up like this to prevent things like SR's DDR from reducing the effectiveness of Force Field bubbles.

So instead it would be something a bit hacky like a large aura with "all nearby allies have a +special global effect, but only applies to buffs where you are the target."

@TyrannicalI believe I was a bit critical of a nature set in the past, basically saying "you better bring the fx for a set so specific" and you delivered; nice work. Another fun effect I'd love to have access to would be Wild Bastion's plant sash (that may be included and I missed it).

Mechanically, I think it's good too - though no one likes Rooted :P.

I also find myself strangely feeling like the click heal should be HoT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Replacement said:

Some interesting thoughts there. I still tend to think "well it already has a taunt aura" but there's precedent for two. 

There are a few armor sets with more than one taunt aura; Ice, Bio and Dark. So I don't see any problem with adding another!

We could do something with Fungal Armor as @Galaxy Brain said, make it work similar to Adaptive Armor and put a debuff effect on it when it's active, maybe -ToHit and -Regen like the Spore Cloud power.

About the idea of +incoming buffs. if you just mean more +incoming healing, sure.  If you mean like "make incoming support effects stronger" like a power boost effect... Yeesh, that seems hard. I'm pretty sure that's directly impossible.

This would strictly be just +healing, I think other buffs might create a balance issue.

@TyrannicalI believe I was a bit critical of a nature set in the past, basically saying "you better bring the fx for a set so specific" and you delivered; nice work. Another fun effect I'd love to have access to would be Wild Bastion's plant sash (that may be included and I missed it).

Mechanically, I think it's good too - though no one likes Rooted :P.

I also find myself strangely feeling like the click heal should be HoT.

I think it was the 'Primal Armor' set I did some time ago, taking assets from the scrapped Primalist archetype. My hopes were that they had some FX for the set already, but otherwise it'd likely use similar stuff to Nature Affinity (though probably more the glowing FX than the leaves and vines). I wanted to try and make something that focused entirely on the plant FX of Nature Affinity for this one, and luckily enough it had enough to work with.

As for Rooted? Eh, it just felt fitting. I suspect Stone Armor is going to be looked at in the future (Rooted and Granite Armor specifically), so whatever changes made there would be reflected here too.

And yeah, healing over time works too, that lines up nicely with Nature Affinity.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

As for Rooted? Eh, it just felt fitting. I suspect Stone Armor is going to be looked at in the future (Rooted and Granite Armor specifically), so whatever changes made there would be reflected here too.

Indeed, Powerhouse is on the record around here somewhere saying he doesn't see why Rooted should be any different from Grounded.

In other news, if anyone has a brighter picture of the Time Gladiator picture, send it over for me to update my post with. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

Following on from this thread I decided to take a stab at the idea of making a beam-focused blast set that doesn't use a rifle.

In order to make it different enough to Beam Rifle, I decided to make this powerset energy/fire damage based, as well as reducing enemy DEF. This powerset has two animation styles; eye-lasers and arm-lasers so it can have a few different concepts to play with.

I know this means yet another energy damage blast set, but I'm hoping by making it a split between energy/fire we can forgive that and play a little more on the 'heat vision' theme that comes with the whole laser thing. 

Laser Blast

BeamRifle SingleShot.png - Laser Bolt: Standard fast attack, dealing low energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'Single Shot', with the animation of 'Psionic Dart'/'Neutrino Bolt'

BeamRifle ChargedShot.png - Laser Beam: A stronger blast attack, dealing moderate energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'Charged Shot', with the animation of 'Laser Eye Beam'/'Power Blast'

BeamRifle CuttingBeam.png - Cutting Laser: A cone attack power, dealing moderate energy/fire damage to foes and heavily reducing defense. Same FX as 'Cutting Beam', with the animation of 'Shout'/'Steam Spray'

BeamRifle Disintegrate.png - Melting Ray: A debuff power, dealing moderate energy/fire DoT and reducing both defense and resistance. Same FX as 'Disintegrate' with the animation of 'Mental Blast'/'Power Push'

BeamRifle PenetratingRay.png - Focused Beam: A snipe power, dealing extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'penetrating Ray', with the animation of 'Psionic Lance'/'Sniper Blast'

BeamRifle LancerShot.png - Power Beam: A heavy blast attack, dealing superior energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as the P-Clockwork 'Anti Matter Ray', with the animation of 'Terrify'/'Power Burst'

BeamRifle PiercingBeam.png - Piercing Laser: A narrow cone piercing attack, dealing high energy/fire damage and reducing defense and resistance. Same FX as the P-Clockwork 'Anti Matter Beam', with the animation of 'Scramble Thoughts'/'Cosmic Burst AltFX'

BeamRifle Overcharge.png - Laser Blast: A massive targeted AoE attack, dealing Extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense and resistance. Same FX as 'Overcharge', with the animation of 'Liquefy AltFX (old)'/'Thunderous Blast'

I've loved a lot of the powersets in this thread, but this one is by far my favorite (I've also been posting in that other thread you linked), and I love the idea of an energy/fire set. I don't mind another energy blast set, personally.

Consider me 200% behind laser blast. Devs, PLEASE make this happen!

• Thanks 1

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

On 3/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, Tyrannical said:

The unique mechanic I was thinking with this powerset is perhaps generates stacks of 'laser focus' that increases your accuracy the more you use your single target powers. Laser focus is lost when you next use an AoE power (cutting laser, piercing laser, laser blast)

Laser Blast

BeamRifle SingleShot.png - Laser Bolt: Standard fast attack, dealing low energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'Single Shot', with the animation of 'Psionic Dart'/'Neutrino Bolt'

BeamRifle ChargedShot.png - Laser Beam: A stronger blast attack, dealing moderate energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'Charged Shot', with the animation of 'Laser Eye Beam'/'Power Blast'

BeamRifle CuttingBeam.png - Cutting Laser: A cone attack power, dealing moderate energy/fire damage to foes and heavily reducing defense. Same FX as 'Cutting Beam', with the animation of 'Shout'/'Steam Spray'

BeamRifle Disintegrate.png - Melting Ray: A debuff power, dealing moderate energy/fire DoT and reducing both defense and resistance. Same FX as 'Disintegrate' with the animation of 'Mental Blast'/'Power Push'

BeamRifle PenetratingRay.png - Focused Beam: A snipe power, dealing extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as 'penetrating Ray', with the animation of 'Psionic Lance'/'Sniper Blast'

BeamRifle LancerShot.png - Power Beam: A heavy blast attack, dealing superior energy/fire damage and reducing defense. Same FX as the P-Clockwork 'Anti Matter Ray', with the animation of 'Terrify'/'Power Burst'

BeamRifle PiercingBeam.png - Piercing Laser: A narrow cone piercing attack, dealing high energy/fire damage and reducing defense and resistance. Same FX as the P-Clockwork 'Anti Matter Beam', with the animation of 'Scramble Thoughts'/'Cosmic Burst AltFX'

BeamRifle Overcharge.png - Laser Blast: A massive targeted AoE attack, dealing Extreme energy/fire damage and reducing defense and resistance. Same FX as 'Overcharge', with the animation of 'Liquefy AltFX (old)'/'Thunderous Blast'

So this is definitely super cool, but mechanically it is sorta just Beam Rifle again. What could be cool is a set where there are *many* Piercing Beam style attacks where your lasers are all thin cones, treated like ST attacks with the bonus of hitting +2 targets in a line.

Edit: I have personal bias against War Mace and Battle Axe basically being the same set except one is better (same with BS and Kat), and I would hate to see that happen with new sets. Lets assume for a second that there is a breakthrough and we can decouple weapons from sets and add weapons to sets (You can throw lasers and use a beam rifle for ice blast, etc). What would Laser Beam do different then?

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

So this is definitely super cool, but mechanically it is sorta just Beam Rifle again. What could be cool is a set where there are *many* Piercing Beam style attacks where your lasers are all thin cones, treated like ST attacks with the bonus of hitting +2 targets in a line.

I was actually pondering something like that, having some sort of narrow cone effect on all powers when you reach max stacks of 'laser focus', or perhaps having it chain to multiple targets?

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I was actually pondering something like that, having some sort of narrow cone effect on all powers when you reach max stacks of 'laser focus', or perhaps having it chain to multiple targets?

I love this idea. I think it does give a really unique flavor to the set that would differentiate it from the more single-target focused Beam Rifle and the "disintegrate" effect. Make "laser blast" be more aoe-centric, and the idea of straight-line AOE for the lasers enhances that sense of energy so concentrated it can "punch through" defenses.

How would you think the balancing would work for this? I would imagine having the sniper do extreme damage to the target AND everything between you and them would be pretty intense. Or maybe not. I don't know. But maybe something where other enemies than the target take reduced damage compared to the primary target? I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it. And the buildup to a "chain" effect also sounds really cool.

I'm already getting ideas for a Laser/Energy blaster... 🙂

• Like 2

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

1 minute ago, Safehouse said:

How would you think the balancing would work for this? I would imagine having the sniper do extreme damage to the target AND everything between you and them would be pretty intense. Or maybe not. I don't know. But maybe something where other enemies than the target take reduced damage compared to the primary target? I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it. And the buildup to a "chain" effect also sounds really cool.

I guess just reduced damage on the additional targets? there's a few newer AoE powers that do this already, where the main target gets full damage, and those around him get minor 'splash' damage.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or if I should start a new thread, but would we be able to add alternate animations to existing powers using animations that already exist?

I noticed Tuatha de Dannan use the 'nuke' animation (inferno, nova, blackstar, etc) when they are firing Tremor. It'd be awesome to have this as an option for Stone Melee and Earth Assault. 

Edited by tan702

2 hours ago, Safehouse said:

I love this idea. I think it does give a really unique flavor to the set that would differentiate it from the more single-target focused Beam Rifle and the "disintegrate" effect. Make "laser blast" be more aoe-centric, and the idea of straight-line AOE for the lasers enhances that sense of energy so concentrated it can "punch through" defenses.

I'm already getting ideas for a Laser/Energy blaster... 🙂

I think if the powers only hit like 2 additional targets that require precise aim then it should be OK. If else, it could be done as @Tyrannicaldescribed where perhaps the 1st guy takes full damage, then the other guys take like 60-75% damage.

A bouncing laser would be a must too!

One thing to note tho, at least personally, is that I feel new sets should do new stuff even with old assets. Sure we could put together something thematic but if it plays incredibly similar to X other thing then one may fall to the wayside over the other.

On that note, for the Nature defense set I had an idea... what if it had a power that was a reverse Bloom? Say it had an ability that was an ally-targeted buff, but for each use on an ally it gave you a boost as well that could stack?

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, Tyrannical said:

Laser Blast

Yeah Sign me up in general, but gonna echo that -def isn't great here (it's already similar enough to Rad).

Also Thank you @Aberrant for providing a much better image for the Time Gladiator™!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Yeah Sign me up in general, but gonna echo that -def isn't great here (it's already similar enough to Rad).

I suppose if the powerset was to have a unique mechanic, it may not need that -def to be effective.

I'd likely keep the -DEF debuff on a few powers like Cutting Laser, Melting Ray and Piercing Laser though

• Like 1

You know, something I touched on before but that I don't think we have had a group chat about:

What *PLAYSTYLES* are not present in CoH?

Not so much a theme, like Wind Blast or something, but specifically playstyles like Stance-Dancing, Self buffs, Debuffs, Marking one dude and getting bonuses off that dude, etc, as anchors for a whole set?

4 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

@Galaxy Brain . . . new thread, please!

It's an important question for General Discussion, which you can then link from here.  Having to jump in to this conversation in the middle of the Eco-Friendly thread is a little haphazard.

I do feel they go hand in hand in a way at least! What kicked it off for me was the latest two sets (Nature Armor / Laser Blast) which while using existing assets, doesn't do much "different" as written to make it stand out from X other set where you could hand-wave theme. 

Though yes, a new thread may be best

• Thanks 2

Hand-in-hand, absolutely, but still distinct enough to merit separation for the purposes of organizing thoughts and discussion.

Once you start the thread, I'll hop right in!  Lots of big ideas to share there.

But to try to gently steer this thread back on course . . . 

How many Javelin attacks are there with the Cimerorans?   Is it just the one Pilum Power?  

(If not making a whole Set out of that, could we at least have Pilum-toss animations for things like Archery, Trick Arrow, and Tactical Arrow?)

• Like 3