Gravity Shield

-any number of self-activation animations with altered gravity/kin graphics with range adjusted. 

Curvature (create a localized gravitational distruption around yourself, increasing positional defense, smash/lethal res)

Gravity Well (create an unstable gravity well around yourself, knocking down close foes and greatly increasing defenses for a short time)

Compressive Field (while active, increases gravity in a wide area around you, greatly slowing foes and mildly slowing ally movement speed)

Recuperation (enclose yourself in a limited sphere of anti-gravity, temporarily boosting your regen and +heals-received)

Field Inversion (creates a force pulse that repels close foes and increases density, upping damage & mez resistance)

Phase Aura (surround yourself in an unstable gravitic matrix, creating temporary portals around you, increasing your defenses)

Gravity Distortion (taken from Gravity control set, range reduced to melee with some splash immob added)

Living Singularity (precise control of gravitational forces transforms you into a living singularity, immune to most attacks/effects. Singularity coherence eventually degrades, leaving you drained and exhausted) - character is faded and superimposed with a larger singularity animation.

(working on a gravity melee companion)

• Like 1

Speed Melee

-precendent exists in animations already (teleport aoes, incarnate vorpal, flurry and teleports)

-most attacks could be any number of melee anims form any set with fade/phase/'woosh' graphics recycled on top.

Conceptually there might be an issue with 'speed is also defense' but usually only against civies with guns or outdated tech. Speedsters can still bet tripped, tricked, tracked and affected by the world around them (ie the floor is laval, enough floor = dead speedster). A speedster melee set works with a 'return to start' set up:

Rapid Focus (rushes a single opponent with several hits doing damage over time and lightly disorienting them)

Rapid Attack (rushes a small group of foes with a few hits, disorienting weaker foes)

Speed Barrage (rushes a single foe with three punches, landing a crit on this power causes KU on the third punch)

Power Rush (with concentration you greatly boost your accuracy and somewhat boost your damage for a short time)

Confront (taunt)

Shockwave (rush a single foe faster than the speed of sound, blasting them and nearby foes with the shockwave)

Speed Hammer (after gathering momentum you target one foe with all your speed throwing incredible force into an uppercut punch. The force of stopping to throw the punch can travel through very close foes)

Multiply (moving almost as fast as the speed of light, you appear to attack  a group of foes all at once, knocking down and disorienting weaker foes and greatly reducing the accuracy of foes)

Inertia (you disappear from sight as you circle the globe to gather speed, directly explosively lethal force at foe and any close by)

• Like 1

@Seancer I like the ideas!

However, the spirit of this thread is to reuse in-game assets to create new powersets (either by directly copying existing powers into new sets, or by repurposing existing animations and FX).

If you are able to find any materials that meet that criteria and could help create the powersets you suggested, then we would have something we could add to the list 🙂

Energy Domination

-could pull heal/cast/apply anims from any of the ranged support sets, with graphics from emp/energy melee/energy aura recycled in

-premise is that energy melee's disorient/damage and energy aura's power/anims are retooled for support

Strengthen (provides a single ally with an energetic boost to their next few attacks, boosting damage and chance to disorient)

Kinetic Shield (ranged, recycled from energy aura)

Power Echo (provides an ally with a potential energy reservoir, dupplicating their next attack on the same target with lesser damage but a chance to disorient/knock down)

Power Shield (ranged, recycled from energy aura)

Entropic Field (converted from energy aura, Location AoE mez protection)

Energize (converted from energy aura, applies absorption to nearby allies)

Power Differential (converted from energy drain, single target ally buff, numbers based on highest ranking foe with some mods for aggro cap quant)

Energy Conduit (while active, you channel an escalating amount of energy to an ally, boosting their defense, mez res and recovery. If your endurance is sapped the channel will rupture, dropping your recovery and causing you damage)

Energy Armor (you focus a powerful energy surge on an ally, greatly boosting their defenses, resistances and recharge rate. All attacks have a greater chance to disorient for the duration). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

@Seancer I like the ideas!

However, the spirit of this thread is to reuse in-game assets to create new powersets (either by directly copying existing powers into new sets, or by repurposing existing animations and FX).

If you are able to find any materials that meet that criteria and could help create the powersets you suggested, then we would have something we could add to the list 🙂

Yup - understood. Posting for now so I can go back and try to source specifically instead of generally/roughly from memory. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seancer said:

Energy Domination

-could pull heal/cast/apply anims from any of the ranged support sets, with graphics from emp/energy melee/energy aura recycled in

-premise is that energy melee's disorient/damage and energy aura's power/anims are retooled for support

Strengthen (provides a single ally with an energetic boost to their next few attacks, boosting damage and chance to disorient)

Kinetic Shield (ranged, recycled from energy aura)

Power Echo (provides an ally with a potential energy reservoir, dupplicating their next attack on the same target with lesser damage but a chance to disorient/knock down)

Power Shield (ranged, recycled from energy aura)

Entropic Field (converted from energy aura, Location AoE mez protection)

Energize (converted from energy aura, applies absorption to nearby allies)

Power Differential (converted from energy drain, single target ally buff, numbers based on highest ranking foe with some mods for aggro cap quant)

Energy Conduit (while active, you channel an escalating amount of energy to an ally, boosting their defense, mez res and recovery. If your endurance is sapped the channel will rupture, dropping your recovery and causing you damage)

Energy Armor (you focus a powerful energy surge on an ally, greatly boosting their defenses, resistances and recharge rate. All attacks have a greater chance to disorient for the duration). 

This looks promising!

I would perhaps rename a few of these powers so they aren't identical to the powers they are based from, and to remove any confusion with the 'Kinetics' support set.

Kinetic Shield > Energy Barrier
Power Shield > Power Barrier
Energize > Energy Surge
Energy Armor > Hypercharge

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

Okay, so, this one is a bit of a stretch,

Yeah, I'd say it's a big stretch. Blaster secondaries are supposed to be a mish-mash of melee, control, and self-buffs, but Weapon Combat is nearly all melee attacks except for Build Up and Athletics. Even Energy Manipulation, the melee-heaviest secondary, only has 5 melee attacks and 2 of them are meant as controls. On top of that, the sustain is both melee-ranged and needs a ToHit check, and the only other sustain that has to deal with that is Drain Psyche, and in exchange for all that it is way more potent than any other sustain. It also gives defense instead of some sort of heal, but Parry only gives two types of defense while heals, absorbs, and +regens are agnostic to the kind of incoming damage. I don't think it really works.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Yeah, I'd say it's a big stretch. Blaster secondaries are supposed to be a mish-mash of melee, control, and self-buffs, but Weapon Combat is nearly all melee attacks except for Build Up and Athletics. Even Energy Manipulation, the melee-heaviest secondary, only has 5 melee attacks and 2 of them are meant as controls. On top of that, the sustain is both melee-ranged and needs a ToHit check, and the only other sustain that has to deal with that is Drain Psyche, and in exchange for all that it is way more potent than any other sustain. It also gives defense instead of some sort of heal, but Parry only gives two types of defense while heals, absorbs, and +regens are agnostic to the kind of incoming damage. I don't think it really works.

Funnily enough I was basing the 'Deflect' power off the Dark Manipulation power 'Touch of the Beyond', which also has a ToHit check.

The 'Stagger' power isn't actually a real melee power, and is based off 'Ki Push' and 'Power Thrust' where it's entirely meant to be a powerful mez effect instead of a straight up damage-dealer.

But, I did notice I forgot to add in a heal power, so I'm going to fix that by adding absorb to the 'Deflect' power to address that!

I'm also going to replace one of the melee powers with a unique power that offers more mez.

Edited by Tyrannical

Since I already decided to do a Dominator version of Illusion Control here in this thread, I suppose I'll address the other elephant in the room which is Hellfire Assault and Hellfire Melee. Originally I was going to avoid these two since they seemed pretty hard to implement as purely whip-based sets, but with a few (hopeful) tweaks, I may have something that can be worked with.

This also marks the first time I've made a melee powerset in this thread! So, apologies in advance to all the brute mains out there.

Hellfire Melee

FieryFray TargetedLightMelee.png - Flay: A simple low damage melee attack, using the same animation and FX as Corruption.

FieryFray FireSword.png - Scourge: A new whip attack dealing moderate damage and DoT. Uses the same animation as Hack/Chop, but the FX and whip prop from Lash.

PsionicMelee PsiBladeSweep.png - Flagellate: A new close-ranged cone power, this uses the same animation as Crowd Control/Pendulum, with the FX/prop of Crack Whip.

FieryFray FireSwordCircle.png - Hellish Coil: This AoE power uses the same FX and whip prop of Crack Whip, with the animation of Katana's 'The Lotus Drops'

SavageMelee AssassinStrike.png - Assassin's Garrote: A stalker-only power that replaces Hellish Coil. This power is identical in appearance to 'Hell on Earth' though it coils around the neck instead of the torso and isn't as long. The wind up animation would be identical to Martial Art's 'Fist of Annihilation' animation for Assassin's Blow.

FieryFray FollowUp.png - Build Up: Standard build up power, using Hellfire Gargoyle flame FX.

FieryFray WillOWisp.png - Taunt/Confront/Placate: Your standard archetype based aggro power

DemonSummoning Lash.png - Lash: Taken directly from demon summoning, this works nice as a high damage attack with a little more range.

DemonSummoning CrackWhip.png - Crack Whip: Taken directly from demon summoning, this power works as a nice short ranged cone attack.

PyreMastery Soot.png - Infernal Grasp: Another new one, this is basically the same animations/FX of 'Hell on Earth', except now it targets a foe and deals superior DoT and holds them.

Hellfire Assault

DemonSummoning Corruption.png - Corruption: Taken from Demon Summoning, this works as a good low damage ranged attack.

FieryFray FireSword.png - Scourge: (See above). A solid melee attack power traditional to Dominators.

FireBlast FireBlast.png - Torment: A new power serving as a heavier damage ranged attack. This power is identical to Corruption, but uses a larger projectile (perhaps one from the demons themselves)

PsionicMelee PsiBladeSweep.png - Flagellate: (See above). A good cone attack that provides a little more AoE damage.

FieryFray FollowUp.png - Build Up: Standard build up power, using Hellfire Gargoyle flame FX.

DemonSummoning Lash.png - Lash: Taken directly from demon summoning, this works nice as a high damage attack with a little more range.

FieryFray FireSwordCircle.png - Hellish Coil: (See above). This works as a nice late-stage AoE attack.

DemonSummoning CrackWhip.png - Crack Whip: Taken directly from demon summoning, this power works as a nice short ranged cone attack.

PyreMastery Soot.png - Infernal Grasp: (See above). A heavy hitting close range power, with a little extra mez thrown in.

I wanted to avoid using any of the existing melee powers that the Hellfire Demonling and Hellfire Gargoyle possess, simply because I think this would mean less whip-like powers and would seem less appealing. The whip is definitely the heart of the concept, and I think creating new whip powers is the way to go.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 7

Going over a few potential melee sets to turn into Melee/Assault powersets after I did Weapon Combat, and I was thinking of a way to implement Psi Melee into without conflicting so much with Mental/Psionic sets already present. I went through some of the Awakened material to see if there was anything that could be used there and found an absolute goldmine of potential player powers!

There's enough material to work with to also create a completely new blast set too, without any overlapping powers with existing psionic powersets. Most of the stuff can be found in this enemy group, which I think is also available in Architect Entertainment for those curious about the visuals and mechanics. I didn't want these powers to be too similar to psychic blast, so I instead named them 'Pain', to reflect both the tortured nature of the NPCs using them, and the high amount of psionic/lethal damage output.

Pain Blast

You have control over pain itself, projecting bolts of agonising psychic energy that can cause lasting physical wounds. Pain Blast powers have a variety of different debuff effects, allowing you to torment your foes with different debilitating effects.

Awakened PsionicDart.png - Psionic Shock: A power from The Awakened, works as a simple moderate damage attack with -end effects similar to electric powers.

Awakened MentalBlast.png - Psionic Lightning: A power from The Awakened, serves as a simple high damage attack with a chance to stun.

Awakened PsionicShockwave.png - Psionic Pulse: A power from The Awakened, good PBAoE attack that has the potential to knock foes back.

PsychicBlast Aim.png - Aim: Your standard aim power.

Awakened PsionicWounds.png - Psionic Wounds: A power from The Awakened, a high DoT effect that improves DPS output.

Awakened PsionicTorment.png Psionic Torment: A power from The Awakened, this special debuff power that also deals a high amount of damage.

Awakened MentalBreakdown.png - Mental Breakdown: A power from The Awakened, a solid damage power that also has the added bonus of healing the user.

Awakened PsionicFury.png - Psionic Fury: A power from The Awakened, acts as a strong ranged AoE with some more debuff.

Awakened PsionicFlow.png Psionic Flow: A power from The Awakened, a great candidate for a T9 blast power, dealing extreme damage and debuffing all foes in the area.

Pain Manipulation

You can manipulate the pain of yourself and others, creating psionic blades that can torture your enemies, while also twisting and attacking their minds.

PsionicAssault Subdue.png Subdual: Same power that's in Mental Manipulation, but works nicely here too

PsionicMelee PsiBlade.png - Psi Blade: Taken from psionic melee, this melee power serves nicely as a higher damage ability.

Awakened PsionicCrush.png - Psionic Prison: A power from The Awakened, works as a good ranged hold power.

PsionicMelee PsiBladeSweep.png - Psi Blade Sweep: Taken from psionic melee, this melee power serves nicely as a cone attack for the set.

PsionicMelee Concentration.png Concentration: Taken from psionic melee, your standard damage boosting build up power.

Awakened PsionicCarapace.png Psionic Carapace: Another Awakened power, a power that grants +Absorb and +Regen, but we'll add +Recovery in there too for good measure.

PsionicMelee Boggle.png - Boggle: Taken from psionic melee, this works perfect for a light mez power similar to Dark and Mental manipulation.

PsionicMelee GreaterPsiBlade.png Greater Psi Blade: Taken from psionic melee, this power fits well as a high damage final melee attack.

PainDomination AnguishingCry.png - Anguishing Cry: Taken from pain domination, I decided to add a debuff power as the T9 similar to plant manipulation and trick arrow.

Pain Assault

You have control over pain itself, projecting bolts of agonising psychic energy that can cause lasting physical wounds. Pain Assault powers have a variety of different debuff effects, allowing you to torment your foes with different debilitating effects.

Awakened PsionicDart.png - Psionic Shock: A power from The Awakened, works as a simple moderate damage attack with -end effects similar to electric powers.

PsionicMelee PsiBlade.png - Psi Blade: Taken from psionic melee, this melee power serves nicely as a higher damage ability.

PsionicMelee PsiBladeSweep.png - Psi Blade Sweep: Taken from psionic melee, this melee cone fits into the assault powerset formula.

Awakened MentalBlast.png - Psionic Lightning: A power from The Awakened, serves as a simple high damage attack with a chance to stun.

PsionicMelee Concentration.png Concentration: Taken from psionic melee, your standard damage boosting build up power.

Awakened PsionicShockwave.png - Psionic Pulse: A power from The Awakened, good PBAoE attack that has the potential to knock foes back.

Awakened PsionicFury.png - Psionic Fury: A power from The Awakened, acts as a strong ranged AoE with some more debuff.

PsionicMelee GreaterPsiBlade.png - Greater Psi Blade: Taken from psionic melee, this power fits well as a high damage final melee attack.

Awakened MentalBreakdown.png - Mental Breakdown: A power from The Awakened, a solid damage power that also has the added bonus of healing the user.

A lot of the names of these powers are likely subject to change, since a lot of them have the word 'psionic' involved here and there. For now, I wanted to keep the names exactly the same so people can tell where the inspiration for these powersets come from. Many of these powers could use words such as 'pain', 'agony' and 'mental' instead of psionic, just so they read a lot better.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

Tyrannical, you should get into demo editing, it's a pretty easy way to make proof-of-concepts for how powers would look in the hands of players. And I would know!

I may have to try my hand at this!

A lot of what I throw at this thread tends to be things that wouldn't require much in the way of editing to work, but some like Hellfire Melee or Sonic Control may likely need that kind of attention. 

Before I made the three Pain themed powersets, I was originally playing with the idea of how to include Psionic Melee into Manipulation and Assault sets without too much overlap with the existing psionic stuff. The first idea I had was to combine Psionic Melee with Illiusion Control, which worked well enough on its own before I played around with powers from Penelope Yin and The Awakened. However, I managed to come up with something using that old material to create Illusion Manipulation, another psionic damage powerset that focuses more on trickery and control than Pain Manipulation.

Illusion Manipulation

PsionicAssault Subdue.png - Vertigo: This power uses the animation/FX of Spectral Wounds, but instead immobilizes the enemy and deals illusion(psionic) damage. The Illusion FX would only appear on the legs.

PsionicMelee MentalStrike.png - Flinch: This new melee power deals moderate damage, uses the Street Justice 'Initial Strike' animation with illusion arm FX. Also has a small -DEF debuff. (This power deals illusion(psionic) damage on the first hit, and smashing on the second)

Illusions Blind.png - Blind: Taken from Illusion Control, though this version does not have a sleep AoE effect.

PsionicAssault MindProbe.png - Feint: Another new melee power deals high damage, uses the Energy Melee 'Barrage' animation with illusion arm FX. Deals a good -DEF debuff too. (This power deals illusion(psionic) damage on the first hit, and smashing on the second)

MentalControl BuildUp.png - Build Up: Your standard build up power.

Illusions Invisibility.png - Phantom Cloak: This power is identical to Devices' 'Field Operative' power, but uses FX of Superior Invisibility.

Illusions Decieve.png - Deceive: Taken from Illusion Control, this serves well as a single target mez similar to other sets.

Illusions Flash.png - Flash: Taken from Illusion Control, this matches up to newer manipulation sets that include an AoE hold power.

Illusions spectralTerror.png - Spectral Fear: Taken from Illusion Control, this works as a strong T9 power, with reduced magnitude to balance it out.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 4

Well I'm a dolt and I missed the last Weekly Discussion Thread shindig about powersets, with or without recycling powers. Like a dolt. At the least, the work I did put in for a hypothetical powerset has not gone lost, so it's not all a loss.

Any which way, the one thing I really had hoped to see shortly after (back on Live) the release or the whispers of Bio Armour was a Bio Weapons suite. Just as much as you grow whatever growths and projections you use to protect yourself from harm as Bio Armour does, I would imagine a similar offensive set would work along the same lines of growing your own weaponry from yourself, mostly using similar rounded assets or wholesale recycling elements from other sets. Most of the damage scaling has been based on the Stone Melee powerset, and I would imagine this to be similar in its scaling. And of course the biggest appeal is growing more stuff out of you, mostly to match the stuff growing out of you from Bio Armour.

Bio Weapons

Your body can grow assorted natural weapons from itself, depending on your needs in any given combat. You are also able to switch between two differing combat styles that both take from your own body's hunger for materials: yours or the enemies' own.

163401026_01Bludgeon.png.10d5308967501bd8d4110942beaa92e3.png - Bludgeon: Melee, Moderate DMG (Smash), Disorient.

Your fists grow heavy and you lash out with their added mass growing out from your body, potentially disorienting your foe.

Grow BIG fists, punch. Probably base these on the Stone Melee Stone Fist power, including the same larger fists and the animations. Texture would likely be based on the Bio Armour one to bring it in line with how it could combine with Bio Armour's own outgrowths.

1762935623_02BladeHew.png.00bfe1915e99ce70e96ed36d86117503.png - Blade Hew: Melee, High DMG (Lethal).

Your internal structure grows outward into a wicked blade that can cleave deep. It is slower than Bludgeon, but deals more damage, and of a different type.

Based on Katana's Divine Avalanche, using a colourable Rikti Axe or Rikti Sword, and probably also the same grown fists from Stone Melee. I'd imagine the weapon to appear, similar to any other growing weapons, foregoing the redraw animation entirely.

1889487931_03WideSwing.png.e9539d46e3ae8e7c6dd278010ee467be.png - Wide Swing: Melee (cone), Moderate DMG (Lethal).

You grow weaponry out mid-swing, using the added momentum to cut a wide swathe.

Based on Katana's Soaring Dragon for its two-handed posture, similarly using a colourable Rikti Axe or Rikti Sword, and probably also the same grown fists from Stone Melee. Again, I'd imagine the weapon to appear, similar to any other growing weapons, foregoing the redraw animation entirely.

739471543_04Taunt.png.e31e56686e107123522af69a02fdf0aa.png 1674153889_04Placate.png.297817bb6999ba381e6d3cc4479de329.png - Taunt/Confront/Placate

The standard suite of Taunts, Confront, Placate for Tanker, Scrapper, Stalker.

1513112636_05BuildUp.png.1bd66cdef702519a35aedacadbea33c0.png - Bulk Up: Self +DMG, +To-Hit. By redirecting mass to your core, you greatly increase the amount of damage you deal for a few seconds, as well as slightly increasing your chance to hit.

Build Up by another name. It would be nice if this could have Bio Armour's Parasitic Aura's effect of added mass going for it for the duration of its Aim and Damage buff before breaking apart.

1912659646_06AssassinsLunge.png.738f85766fcdff17d20a987810fead0c.png - Assassin's Lunge: Melee, Special DMG (Lethal).

A signature Stalker attack. This attack does moderate damage on its own as a frontal attack and cannot be interrupted. However, if it is executed while you are Hidden, this attack will do tremendous lethal damage, as you impale your unsuspecting foe. This attack may be interrupted if you move or are attacked while executing this power and are hidden. Using this power while not hidden has a chance to critically hit equal to 33.3% times the number of stacks of Assassin's Focus. Using Assassin's Lunge when not hidden will remove all stacks of Assassin's Focus regardless if you critically hit or not.

The Stalker Assassin's Strike. Stalker's Staff Fighting Assassin's Staff, or better yet, a slowed down Serpent's Reach would fit this perfectly, doubly so if the blade could somehow be sticking out comically past the intended target. I'd imagine the weapon to appear, similar to any other growing weapons, foregoing the redraw animation entirely.

1143173788_07HungeringLunge.png.ea781221f262dd2d7786e216f319c223.png - Hungering Lunge: Melee, Moderate DMG (Lethal), Self Teleport.

You streak forwards, ignoring everything in your path before your weapon sinks into your adversaries. You move instantly to a targeted location and strike at targets within melee range. Attacking at such high speed is dangerous to the user, as well - for each enemy you strike, you take minor damage.

Blaster's Martial Arts' Burst of Speed, with a blade sticking out of the outstretched arm. Hopefully properly aligned with the arm, besides. Unsure if this should be having charges or not. Could just be a wholesale copy.

1388039182_08Evolution.png.42e72b06074d4033aec17c7d51217436.png - Evolution: Special, Gain Devouring Evolution and Hungering Evolution. 

By purchasing this power you gain access to two mutually exclusive toggle powers: Devouring Evolution and Hungering Evolution. If Devouring Evolution is active your attacks build up stacks of Shrapnel. Build up five stacks and your attack explodes outwards in a small burst of flechettes. If Hungering Evolution is active you gain a damage buff the lower your Hit Points get, but you also continuously drain your own Hit Points.

Unsure what aura effect would best be suited for this, honestly. Maybe a series of rings from Super Reflexes Focused Fighting and Focused Senses that continuously pulse around the head, respectively. Something obviously different from Bio Armour's veins pulsing.

622459783_09DevouringEvolution.png.2b81a19c4cb2b5cbd4d0d65d68d32847.png - Devouring Evolution: Click Toggle, Bio Weapon Explosive Mode.

By activating this power you cause your Bio Weapons to spontaneously mutate, causing them to cling to and absorb materials to sustain yourself in the heat of battle. While active, your Bio Weapon attacks grant you stacks of Shrapnel. You may have up to 4 stacks of Shrapnel active at a time. When you would build a 5th stack of Shrapnel, the attack will also release a short-ranged AOE attack (Minor DMG, high amount of valid targets) centred around the first target hit by the attack, but will also Exhaust your weapons from building additional stacks again for a short time. While your Bio Weapons are Exhausted, you cannot build stacks of Shrapnel.

946624708_10HungeringEvolution.png.a54aa48cac66f99f18a75705d49acfb2.png - Hungering Evolution: Click Toggle, Bio Weapon Draining Mode.

By activating this power you cause your Bio Weapons to spontaneously mutate, causing them to draw excessively from your bodily integrity. You are continuously losing your own Hit Points, but your weaponry will strike with more strength the lower your Hit Points are. This power can be dangerous to use, especially as it only really adds more damage when you have lost at least a third of your Hit Points.

1836142287_11OverheadChop.png.1b99bda08ee89df3abe6fc5ba82b084b.png - Overhead Chop: Very Short Ranged (Targeted AOE), High DMG (Lethal), Foe Knockdown.

You heave your weapon high above your head and strike ahead onto a single foe, knocking them down and letting the sheer force of the blow knock the wind out of anyone around them.

I'm surprised Titan Weapons does not use Rikti weapons at all, even scaled up. Crushing Blow would seem pretty fitting. Otherwise, Katana Sting of the Wasp would be fitting, though perhaps too fast. The biggest appeal to this power is striking just past a line of enemies to attack in a round AOE, or to time a detonation of Devouring Evolution flechettes with the AOE of this attack.

998416223_12HeavyMass.png.fba030bb046c9d5b8f1206665f8761f0.png - Heavy Mass: PbAOE, Superior DMG (Smash), Foe Knockback.

You leap into the air and coalesque your mass in mid-air before you come crashing down with all your mass you have mustered, sending anyone caught in your wake sprawling.

It's pretty much Stone Melee Tremor with less particles, growing stone fists, and probably Stone Armor's Rooted to apply a similarly bulky look to the legs for the duration of the attack. This would also likely be the one attack missing from the Stalker powerset in lieu for the Assassin's Lunge.

Edited by Dinictus
  • Like 8

@Dinictus I really like your idea! You put a lot of work into visualising it, including the descriptions and the custom power icons, which is always a nice touch!

Though I think to help distance it from Spines or Katana, a focus on Smashing/Toxic would be a good direction to go in, so having powers that create organic growths on the arms and using the standard suite of melee animations would be the easiest way to go about this. It wouldn't be too hard to change the stone melee textures for something from Bio Armor, or even stuff from Dark Astoria/Banished Pantheon, and apply them over the fists during attacks (and probably remove the debris/gravel that spawns after hits with a Bio Armor FX instead).

I'll add this to the list.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 2

After doing the Pain powersets, I was looking through other Praetorian enemy groups to see what else could be used. I've already used material from the Destroyers, Clockwork and IDF, but realised I didn't look at PPD so much. While there isn't a lot of material to work with, there's at least enough to form a basic skeleton of a few new powersets. 

A Blast set would be fairly easy, as would an Assault set, but Manipulation was a little tougher... I've had to grab powers from Force Field and Energy Aura in order to make it work. Thankfully, there isn't much overlap with the current Energy powersets (except for maybe dealing Energy/Smashing damage and some knockback), but the sets offer a little more control and debuff at least. I decided to name these powersets Force Blast/Assault/Manipulation, since that seems to be a common term in the powers I borrowed, and because I had to use powers from Force Field and similar styled powers to make it work.

Force Blast

You are able to project pure force to overwhelm your foes. Force Blast powers have great crowd control capabilities, with many powers knocking down your foes or reducing their movement. Attacking a foe with single target Force Blast powers while they are affected by Force Netting or Force Cage will create a powerful disorient effect on them that may also disorient nearby foes.

PowerBlast PowerBolts.png - Force Bolts: A standard PPD power, adjusted to work as a quick DoT blast power.

PowerBlast PowerBlast.png - Force Blast: A less common PPD power, which works as a heavier blast attack with knockback.

PowerBlast EnergyTorrent.png - Force Wave: A power unique to PPD Sergeants, works nicely as a cone attack with knockdown potential.

BeamRifle Disintegrate.png - Force Netting: Another less common PPD power, though with a little extra damage, this could work nice as a ranged slow debuff attack.

BeamRifle Aim.png - Aim: Standard Aim power for Blasters.

ForceField RepulsionBomb.png - Impact Bomb: Unique to Investigators, this is perfect for a ranged AoE with knockdown and chance to disorient.

ElectricalBolt TelsaCage.png - Force Cage: A few PPD have this power, fitting into the ranged sleep power seen in some blast sets.

PowerBlast PowerBurst.png - Force Burst: A Suppressor-only ranged attack with knockback, adjusted to have higher damage and short range.

PowerBlast NovaBlast.png - Unstoppable Force: A completely new power. This Superior damage PBAoE attack uses a smaller version of the Barrier incarnate power FX, creating an expanding bubble of force that knocks down foes.

Force Assault

You are able to project pure force to overwhelm your foes. Force Assault powers have great crowd control capabilities, with many powers knocking down your foes or disorienting them. 

PowerBlast PowerBolts.png - Force Bolts: A standard PPD power, adjusted to work as a quick DoT blast power.

KineticAttack SmashingBlow.png - Force Brawl: Most PPD have this melee power, and works well for a moderate damage attack with chance to stun.

PowerBlast EnergyTorrent.png - Force Wave: A power unique to PPD Sergeants, works nicely as a cone attack with knockdown potential.

PowerBlast PowerBlast.png - Force Blast: A less common PPD power, which works as a heavier blast attack with knockback.

KineticAttack PowerSiphon.png - Build Up: Standard Build Up power for Dominators.

KineticAttack Burst.png - Force Shockwave: A melee power unique to Justicars, fits in as a close range PBAoE attack with potential to disorient.

KineticAttack TotalFocus.png - Force Maul: A less common melee power, dealing higher damage and knockdown.

ForceField RepulsionBomb.png - Impact Bomb: Unique to Investigators, this is perfect for a ranged AoE with knockdown and chance to disorient.

PowerBlast PowerBurst.png - Force Burst: A Suppressor-only ranged attack with knockback, adjusted to have higher damage and short range.

Force Manipulation

You can control and manipulate force to attack or control your foes. Many of your powers have a chance to disorient your foes, while others draw power to yourself to recover health or endurance.

ForceField ForceBolt.png - Force Bolt: Taken from Force Field, this power fulfils a similar function to Ki Push or Power Thrust.

KineticAttack SmashingBlow.png - Force Brawl: Most PPD have this melee power, and works well for a moderate damage attack with chance to stun.

KineticAttack PowerSiphon.png - Build Up: Standard Build Up power for Blasters.

KineticAttack Burst.png - Force Shockwave: A melee power unique to Justicars, fits in as a close range PBAoE attack with potential to disorient.

EnergyAura Energize.png - Energize: Taken from Energy Aura, this power helps heal and manage endurance.

EnergyAura Disrupt.png - Disrupt: Taken from Stalker's Energy Aura, this works nice as a mez toggle.

KineticAttack TotalFocus.png - Force Maul: A less common melee power, dealing higher damage and knockdown.

EnergyAura Drain.png - Energy Drain: Another from Energy Aura, this power works much like Power Sink from Electricity Manipulation.

ForceField RefractionShield.png - Detention Field: Another pick from Force Field, this power works well as a powerful T9 mez effect that contains a single foe.

Just like The Awakened, the PPD also have a case of repeatedly using a single word to describe their powers; 'Force'. So I think if any of these powers were to be renamed, substituting the word 'force' with something else like 'Kinetic' or 'Impact' could work. This powerset works nice as a sort of tech-themed blast set that doesn't require use of a weapon, but could realistically be used by any origin without too much bias.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I think the PPD stuff would work better as a set of APPs.

Perhaps, I was also considering that it could be used to fill in for the missing assets for Gadgetry. 

Nano Net = Force Netting

Drone Blast = Force Bolts

Jetpack = Thruster FX on the back?

Drone Barrage = Force Wave

Force Barrier = Force Cage target FX

• Like 1

APPs are practically designed to recycle powers. I can see why a developer might drag their feet on putting together entire primaries and secondaries based on reused powers, because it can come off as lazy, but reusing powers for APPs has been the whole idea since their inception. Which is why it's so frustrating that we've gotten new APPs like three times in the whole lifetime of CoH, despite how easy it should be to add them!

Here's another quick one. I basically figured I'd mash together some of the stuff from Devices, Munitions Mastery and Arachnos Soldiers to create a sort of natural/tech themed defense powerset, with a few new additions to iron out the concept.

Tactical Gear
You have an array of specialist equipment that allow you to survive harsh conflicts. Tactical Gear equips you with a multitude of protective gadgets that provide sturdy defenses and emergency aid.

TrainingandGadgets WolfSpiderArmor.png - Combat Gear: New toggle power; provides melee defense and resistance to smashing and lethal damage. Slight body glow FX on activation only, with MinFX available.

MunitionsMastery BodyArmor.png - Body Armor: Taken from munitions mastery, serves as a nice autopower (maybe with slightly higher numbers)

TrainingandGadgets CombatTrainingDefensive.png - Hazard Gear: New toggle power; provides ranged/AoE defense and resistance to fire, cold, energy and toxic damage. Slight head/eye glow FX on activation only, with MinFX available.

CrabSpiderTraining Serum.png - Serum: Taken from Crab Spider Soldier, works as a decent self heal power.

Teleportation LongRangeTeleport.png - Emergency Teleporter: New click power, this ability quickly teleports you to a targeted location and removes mez. Also gives resistance to mez effects and enemy teleportation for a short while. FX is similar to the defeated teleport that Dr. Aeon and Maelstrom have.

Gadgets TargetingDrone.png - Surveillance Drone: (Tankers and Brutes) This power looks identical to Targeting Drone in effect, though now acts as a PBAoE toggle that reduces enemy defense and resistance, while also buffing the user's Perception and resistance to -ToHit effects.

Gadgets Cloak.png - Cloaking Device: Taken from devices, this power works nicely as a stealth effect similar to Energy Cloak or Cloak of Darkness. (Stalkers get hide instead)

BaneSpiderTraining Surveillance.png - Surveillance: (Scrappers and Stalkers) This power is taken from Arachnos Soldiers/Munitions Mastery, providing a heavy debuff that does not break stealth or draw aggro.

Traps DroppedAoEBuffRegen.png - Triage Beacon: A power taken from traps. This slots in as a utility buff similar to Grant Cover or Ground Zero.

Arachnos Patron SelfBuffResistancePhysical.png - Personal Force Field: Taken from Force Mastery/Mace Mastery, I figured this would work nice as an unusual T9 power that functions much like Hibernate in some ways.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 9