Make Rest automatic while out of combat

7 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

Then it's not auto-Rest, it's auto-Regeneration-and-Recovery .... which does nothing but cheapen the actual Regeneration powerset (and Willpower, come to think of it).

I mean sorta, though they would still have non-combat regen and even faster out of combat.

Either way, this is not feasible due to how combat is tracked in game 😕

Honestly, even if it was feasible, it would IMO be a bad idea for this game.

Part of what makes Regen or Willpower worth taking, is "less downtime between fights".  Take that away, and both sets (especially Regeneration) become pretty weaksauce.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

One of the best things about City of Heroes, is that it didn't rely on in-combat/out-of-combat mechanics. This makes things a lot more complicated and frustrating even in other games.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Rest initiate/lockdown time reduced though.

Edited by Xoza

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club

No, leave Rest as it is. A little downtime to recover betimes is a part that I expect of the gaming flow. And getting out of combat, resting and going back to fight is sometimes needed for low level characters.

It's one of the things that didn't felt right in Champions Online, that getting out of combat was like the fight never occurred.

I disagree with this.

Rest is a DELIBERATE action.

One that leaves you completely defenseless.

So what constitutes "out of combat"?
And how could that, conceivably, be used to screw a player over?  Even by accident.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

5 hours ago, intussusceptor said:

No, leave Rest as it is. A little downtime to recover betimes is a part that I expect of the gaming flow. And getting out of combat, resting and going back to fight is sometimes needed for low level characters.

It's one of the things that didn't felt right in Champions Online, that getting out of combat was like the fight never occurred.

I never use rest becuase not every hero gets tired out after every single fight. To insist everyone play like that is nothing more than selfish. Downtime out of fights should NOT be mandatory. you're welcome to stop and wait after each battle if you wish.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Galaxy Brain said:

Many, many games keep pacing between fights / encounters by having the character refresh when truly out of combat for some time. It would be appreciated (esp at lower levels) if resting up between fights wasn't something you had to commit so hard to do.

This could be done by making Rest an auto power, then having it interrupt / suppress when you get aggro/get hit for a good chunk of time.

I have another idea: If you're out of combat and don't move for eight seconds your toon does the animation from [Rest] and is resting, but if you're attacked or do anything other than chat they stand back up.

• Retired Game Master
13 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

I have another idea: If you're out of combat and don't move for eight seconds your toon does the animation from [Rest] and is resting, but if you're attacked or do anything other than chat they stand back up.

This doesn't work well in practice because a lot of the time you're just standing around you don't actually want to rest. It's best to keep the player in control of when they enter rest state. If people want to improve the functionality of rest, by all means suggest it, but between the limitations of the game engine and having players lose control of when they can/can't rest fundamentally changing the power is going to be dicey at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GM Sijin said:

This doesn't work well in practice because a lot of the time you're just standing around you don't actually want to rest. It's best to keep the player in control of when they enter rest state. If people want to improve the functionality of rest, by all means suggest it, but between the limitations of the game engine and having players lose control of when they can/can't rest fundamentally changing the power is going to be dicey at best.

What if there was a keyboard hotkey that toggled [Rest] without setting up a tray icon? There's probably two or three things that could use this treatment.

• Retired Game Master
4 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

What if there was a keyboard hotkey that toggled [Rest] without setting up a tray icon? There's probably two or three things that could use this treatment.

I mean... /bind r powexec_name Rest

It's fundamentally very easy to do as-is. If you mean just make it an option in keybinds and remove the power... that I think would require completely new functionality, or would just be a hidden power, or something equally hackish. Also if the cooldown on rest wasn't removed or you'd have to deal with not knowing when you could rest again... though I'm not sure how often that actually comes up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The only change to Rest I'd make, is to make it's benefits kick in sooner.  Otherwise, it's fine as-is, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

11 minutes ago, GM Sijin said:

I mean... /bind r powexec_name Rest

It's fundamentally very easy to do as-is. If you mean just make it an option in keybinds and remove the power... that I think would require completely new functionality, or would just be a hidden power, or something equally hackish. Also if the cooldown on rest wasn't removed or you'd have to deal with not knowing when you could rest again... though I'm not sure how often that actually comes up.

That is not what I meant. I mean adding the bind to the default keyboard layout. I feel like the Rest function is central enough to be worthy of the same level of presumed use as jumping, following, autorun, or a travel ability. Not having the refined attention to things is evidence of when C.o.X. was released, and is something we should address to keep the game current.

Yeah but, I would love it if Walk was turned into a Rest Lite.

-Remove detoggle

-May or may not need only affects self

-No debuffs aside from "I walk slow but I look cool"

-level-based bonus to regen and recovery while active, so characters slowly graduate to using it as Rest stops being useful.

19 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

That is not what I meant. I mean adding the bind to the default keyboard layout. I feel like the Rest function is central enough to be worthy of the same level of presumed use as jumping, following, autorun, or a travel ability. Not having the refined attention to things is evidence of when C.o.X. was released, and is something we should address to keep the game current.

I think I have used rest maybe twice since the game came back. It is not central to the game.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

That is not what I meant. I mean adding the bind to the default keyboard layout.

Sure the Devs could do this, but for me it would have been a total waste of their time, because I have totally re-written my Keybind File, and one of my first actions with a new character (And as an Altaholic I create a lot of new characters.), is to go into my characters' email and from an email I have in it, I copy and paste the path to my Keybind File. R is my default for rest, and that is what I press when I need to rest... for every character.

Edited by Jeuraud

3 minutes ago, Jeuraud said:

Sure the Devs could do this, but for me it would have been a total waste of their time, because I have totally re-written my Keybind File, and one of my first actions with a new character (And as an Altaholic I create a lot of new characters.), is to go into my characters' email and from an email I have in it, I copy and paste the path to my Keybind File. R is my default for rest, and that is what I press when I need to rest... for every character.

Sounds like an argument for the devs to data mine how players update their keyboard layouts and change the defaults accordingly.

43 minutes ago, Some Random User said:

Sounds like an argument for the devs to data mine how players update their keyboard layouts and change the defaults accordingly.

While thinking about your statement for a bit I realized something... why in all hells would I want the Devs to spend time on something I can do for myself?

Well I wouldn't.

If you want changes made to your Keybind, then do it yourself. The CoH Devs gave us the ability to do so and here is a Guide to Keybinds to help you out.

• Like 1

• Retired Game Master
2 hours ago, Replacement said:

Yeah but, I would love it if Walk was turned into a Rest Lite.

-Remove detoggle

-May or may not need only affects self

-No debuffs aside from "I walk slow but I look cool"

-level-based bonus to regen and recovery while active, so characters slowly graduate to using it as Rest stops being useful.

The way walk is designed it actually breaks if it doesn't suppress other powers, because anything with +run speed (like, say, swift) makes you move faster than walking speed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GM Sijin said:

The way walk is designed it actually breaks if it doesn't suppress other powers, because anything with +run speed (like, say, swift) makes you move faster than walking speed.

Yeah! It's hilarious when you activate Walk on a /martial blaster! (Reaction time gives you a move speed buff when it's DEactivated, resulting in a very fast walk).  Pretty sure outside buffs would also have the same effect.

Ok that's all I'll say on that off-topic, here. 

8 hours ago, Some Random User said:

I'm concerned about the longevity of the game. I would like the game to keep pace with more recent games.

Longevity, keep pace... what the hells do you mean by this?

CoHH is a 15 year old game that was raised from the dead by the CoHH Devs, and in my opinion it's better than CoHV was at its shutdown, with all of CoHV's micro-transactions that are free now, and the improvements that the CoHH Devs have added. The CoHH Devs might be fricken kickass Necromancers, but they still have only so much time to work on what is essentially a hobby.

1 hour ago, Jeuraud said:

Longevity, keep pace... what the hells do you mean by this?

CoHH is a 15 year old game that was raised from the dead by the CoHH Devs, and in my opinion it's better than CoHV was at its shutdown, with all of CoHV's micro-transactions that are free now, and the improvements that the CoHH Devs have added. The CoHH Devs might be fricken kickass Necromancers, but they still have only so much time to work on what is essentially a hobby.

To paraphrase the quoted passage: "Things are good now, so things will always be good and never change."

I remember trying to recruit friends and talking about C.o.X. to random fellow video game players. Getting them to try the game was like pulling teeth. On Homecoming I'm having the same difficulty. Attrition is a gradual thing, and when we have an appeal only to such a unique subset of players we need to work that much harder.

To keep the game going long term we have to recruit new players. Recruitment is a hell of a lot easier now, when the game is more popular, than when we wish we had been recruiting after a drop in popularity.