Forum is preventing my laptop from sleeping

NewXToa

Hello!

For some reason, any time I have the forum open in Firefox, it opens an audio stream that prevents my laptop from sleeping when I close the lid. I narrowed the problem down to forum - toggling various add-ons (and other tabs) did nothing, whereas the audio would disappear and reappear immediately upon closing and reopening the forum tab. Firefox was the only program open at the time.

I am on Microsoft Windows 10 Education Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

Firefox is version 71.0 (64-bit).

The problem does not occur in Chrome, Edge, or a Firefox Private Window (incognito mode).

This is an extremely inconvenient problem, I usually have a tab open with the Weekly Strike Targets open pinned.

image.png.e0532bb95b2f13261399e9d240099749.png

Edited by NewXToa
tested in other browsers

Purge your temp files just in case. Annoying, but if there's something buggy about a site that's the normal first step.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

It's part of the Invision Power Board notification system.

There's an open audio stream that plays a tone when you have a notification occur on the forums.

Edited by Tahquitz

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

There's an open audio stream that plays a tone when you have a notification occur on the forums.

Bleh. I'm guessing the reason I didn't reproduce the problem on other browsers was because I wasn't signed in, then.

Is there any way to turn this off? I'm looking in the notification settings menu and it looks like I already have "play a sound when I receive a notification" toggled off and "do not send me notifications" checked on top of that anyways.

Thank you for letting me know why it's happening! Even if I don't find a solution that satisfies me, it's always good to know why.

4 hours ago, NewXToa said:

Bleh. I'm guessing the reason I didn't reproduce the problem on other browsers was because I wasn't signed in, then.

Is there any way to turn this off? I'm looking in the notification settings menu and it looks like I already have "play a sound when I receive a notification" toggled off and "do not send me notifications" checked on top of that anyways.

Thank you for letting me know why it's happening! Even if I don't find a solution that satisfies me, it's always good to know why.

I don't have the issue, and do get the notification beeps on chrome

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Unfortunately, it's not specific to this website.

When using Firefox, the stream is open on ANY website that has embedded audio (including browser notifications and the 'homemade' variety), not just here.  And Boggo is correct, on Chrome, the stream isn't open.  This isn't specific to Homecoming Servers, but how Firefox works.  I'd mention it to them as a possible bug.

• Thanks 1

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:48 AM, Tahquitz said:

ORL? Huh

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 9 months later