QOL idea -- "Ambush Warning!"

Yomo Kimyata

7 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Or -- and this would require programming effort, so it's a 'down the road' thing -- make the ambush 'aware' of the ambush target's location and despawn if they leave the zone (either by changing zones or entering an instance like another mission or a base). Because this would need to be added to the AI loop for the ambush, it's a more 'blue sky' suggestion, although it addresses having high-level ambushes dangling around in zones.

I thought that was close to how outdoor ambushes work. I think they do stop in their tracks once their target exits the zone. They don't despawn instantly but I assume they eventually do. 

• Like 1

They eventually despawn, but as described above, once the target of the ambush leaves, they can't track their target any more and 'go dumb', standing around until something aggros them. What I'm suggesting is that, instead of 'going dumb', they despawn at that point, having lost their target. It would still require a change to the AI code for ambushes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

They eventually despawn, but as described above, once the target of the ambush leaves, they can't track their target any more and 'go dumb', standing around until something aggros them. What I'm suggesting is that, instead of 'going dumb', they despawn at that point, having lost their target. It would still require a change to the AI code for ambushes.

is it worth the programming effort though? I'm not so much against the idea, as no sure its worth the effort

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

11 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

is it worth the programming effort though? I'm not so much against the idea, as no sure its worth the effort

Depends. If you're the level 12 coming around a corner in Steel and hitting the level 50 ambush spawn, you might think differently. But I agree that it's a subjective valuation, and because it's buried down in the mob AI code, I expect that it would get pushed onto the back burner even if it was decided it was worth doing.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:51 PM, boggo2300 said:

Thats entirely different to the in mission ambushes that the thread has been talking about though

"A lot of the time, I don't even notice when I finish a mission and an ambush is spawned. "

Nope, specifically referring to post-mission ambushes.

Who run Bartertown?

19 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

"A lot of the time, I don't even notice when I finish a mission and an ambush is spawned. "

Nope, specifically referring to post-mission ambushes.

Why? there are end of mission ambushes inside a LOT of missions that only spawn on the mission map

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

I completely understand what is being asked for and why, I just have seen no-one come up with a single argument to say why it would be worth any development effort

spacer.png

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I had exited my mission recently which was a train mission and was standing there in the area by the south skyway city train and took the next mish. It was a hunt for crey and I thought, "huh this probably comes with an ambush." I waited a moment and heard the drone fire and looked over to see a level 35 crey scientist vaporizing. Well oops.  So uh that's a complication with the suggestion of have them come out of the door mission you just exited: sometimes it's mission complete that triggers an ambush, sometimes it's mission accept that triggers an ambush, sometimes it's mission SELECT that triggers an ambush.  And also of course that if you tried to have baddies come off a train they'd just be vaporized.  But I really would love an AMBUSH INCOMING! in the big cartoony text like you get RARE DROP! in just because I'd like to step away from any lowbies and also make sure my toggles are on and then clean up my mess. (Heck a lot of times when you get hunt missions you get an ambush and who doesn't like target delivery??)

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

2 hours ago, Erydanus said:

I had exited my mission recently which was a train mission and was standing there in the area by the south skyway city train and took the next mish. It was a hunt for crey and I thought, "huh this probably comes with an ambush." I waited a moment and heard the drone fire and looked over to see a level 35 crey scientist vaporizing. Well oops.  So uh that's a complication with the suggestion of have them come out of the door mission you just exited: sometimes it's mission complete that triggers an ambush, sometimes it's mission accept that triggers an ambush, sometimes it's mission SELECT that triggers an ambush.  And also of course that if you tried to have baddies come off a train they'd just be vaporized.  But I really would love an AMBUSH INCOMING! in the big cartoony text like you get RARE DROP! in just because I'd like to step away from any lowbies and also make sure my toggles are on and then clean up my mess. (Heck a lot of times when you get hunt missions you get an ambush and who doesn't like target delivery??)

yeah, the ones on mission accept actually seem to be the most common ones (or at least the ones I notice most)

I have nothing particularly against this, just another popup for me to ignore, but I don't think it's helpful enough to have much priority on the dev worklist, that's all I've been trying to say

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!