Dark/Storm: looking for ideas and tips, build critique

Papaschtroumpf

I started a Dark/Storm a while back but got distracted by other things. Now getting back to him.

Anyone running that combo? I've never done Dark control before so I'm still discovering the different powers.

Some of my thoughts:

- I want tons of recharge, I didn't especially want Fly but I couldn't slot the LoTGs without taking the fly pool

- I wanted this to be a pet heavy build, and Mako for the spout to echo the tornado seemed a natural fit. With enough recharge the coralax will be out 2/3 of the time.

- Does the Kismet +6% acc also apply to pets? otherwise I might move the slot somewhere else

- invisibility through mist and Stealth IO so I can stealth and ATT

- soft capped Ranged and AoE defense, high S/L resit. I couldn't get Melee defense high enough, and with Fly this likely will end up being a ranged controller. So I skipped the PBAoE disorient later in the game, although I use it quite a bit right now while leveling up. Hurricane will help keep most baddies away from melee if needed.

- I think the biggest weakness is lack of AoE controls, Fearsome Stare will be my opener and bread and butter control since Shadow field would not be available every group. immob+gale is a pocket AoE control through knockdown, which I use a lot at low levels.

- Possess seems decent at low levels but not sure how it translates at higher level. A dominator could take a boss out of commission in one shot, a controller will generally need 2. On the other hand it's a signature Power for the set, so I decided I will try it and skip Shadow Field to take it.  I do have an alternative build that uses shadow field slotted with the winter hold set. It lets me use Expedient Reinforcement in one of the pets (umbral beast or Coralax) instead of Blood Mandate so I get to slot the pet bonus resist

- speaking of that pet bonus resist, is it worth lose the 5% AoE def from Blood Mandate? If I slot Expedient Reinforcements my AoE defense drops to 40% and I didn't find a good way to rebalance it without taking out Posses for Shadow Field. Agility Core doesn't quite make up the difference.

- Does Interface Procs apply to pet damage and pseudo=pets like lighting storm?

- I'll see how much I get mezzed in the endgame and whether I want Clarion or Ageless

- I do like the high S/L resist as a second layer of protection, and I need two pool powers to get the Coralax and Bile Spray doesn;t seem that impressive

The build below has slots for a level 50 respec, I haven't worked out the order while leveling.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Darth Tempest: Level 50 Natural Controller
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Rchg(7), Lck-Rchg/Hold(9), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(9), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), Lck-%Hold(39)
Level 1: Gale -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- JvlVll-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), PstBls-Dam%(3), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(5), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Ann-ResDeb%(7)
Level 4: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A)
Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(17)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- Rct-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(25), Rct-ResDam%(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 14: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- JvlVll-Dam%(A), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(17), AchHee-DefDeb(21), AchHee-ResDeb%(23), PstBls-Dam%(23), TchofLadG-%Dam(43)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(42)
Level 20: Hurricane -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(25), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(29), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(29), CrcPrs-Conf%(31)
Level 28: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), HO:Ribo(39)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), LucoftheG-Def(33)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(33), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(33), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), BldMnd-Acc(34), BldMnd-Dmg(34)
Level 35: Tornado -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-DefDeb(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(37), EndRdx-I(42), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Water Spout -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-DefDeb(43), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(43), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(46), ExpStr-Dam%(46), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 44: Shark Skin -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(45), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam(46)
Level 47: Summon Coralax -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc(50), BldMnd-Dmg(50)
Level 49: Hibernate -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
------------

Let me know if you see ways to improve my build, if you think I made mistakes in my power choices, etc...

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

OK fixed the post above, for some reason my build pointed to my plant controller instead when clicking the link

I also made a few changes from the original as i discovered I had forgotten to slot Haunt. It's now a source of additional recharge and a place to put the pets bonus resist.

Ranged defense is at 47ish, so there probably is a possible optimization for get it down to 45ish but I haven't found it yet.

as part of fixing the post I made the slot order more friendly to leveling up. Fearsome stairs can get slotted with Will of the Controller early on and catalyze it at 50. Malaise's illusion is a good substitute for Coercive Persuasion before 50, similar bonuses, just not as large. In fact Malaise's illusion still gets you 45% Ranged defense so the biggest benefit of going purple is the extra 3% recharge, so it's still a good build if you can't afford the purples

So I'm happy with it for now, as long as I didn't overlook some way to play the powerset.

I'm just going to freestyle here while looking at your questions...

I would put Overpowering Presence in Fearsome and Will of the Troller in HOD. The Energy Font comes up quite often with Fearsome being so fast to recharge.

Fearsome lead and immediately follow with Living Shadows and you have instant lockdown with no retaliation. Then run in with HOD when it's available.

I usually 4 slot Exp Reinforce in Haunt but also put in Cloud Sense Proc in the fifth slot.

I don't usually find a need for Possess...so I take Shadow Field and slot it with 4 basilisk gaze.

I slot Umbra with the same slotting as Haunt. The proc helps quite a bit.

Dark is my favorite controller. I am considering trying a different Dk/? combo so I'm interested in hearing your experience with Storm.

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

Am I missing something? Did you skip Heart of Darkness? It's an every-spawn control that, unlike Fearsome Stare, doesn't allow retaliation. And it can be stacked with Thunderclap to permanently disorient everything around you.

Open at a distance with Fearsome Stare and Living Shadows, then run in and HoD/Thunderclap. Put the Energy Font ATO in Thunderclap for more Disorient effects.

OK I can look at HoD. Right now it's not up every group but I don't have set IOs yet (only lvl 22). It's PBAoE and Melee is the only defense I was not able to softcap, which is the other reason why I didn't take it. But opening with Stare or Shadow field could mitigate that.

What should I get rid of if I want thunderclap? I can see getting rid of the confuse, it's useful solo. 

I'm not sure how I feel about having a 3-step opener. It would made a huge difference if the stun was ranged like with Fire or the disorient AoE like with plants.

Storm is a fun and powerful secondary as long as you are willing to put KB to KD in many powers 

Opener is Fearsome. Should lock everyone in place. Then Living Shadows. HoD is just one of those powers you can use whenever it's available for some decent dmg and extra control. 

After Fearsome and Living they should be debuffed enough that you shouldn't be getting any return dmg except from a boss maybe. When you hit IO's you will damn near unhittable. It's so powerful that I often can be the guy to take the alpha shots from large enemy groups when I am on a team without Brutes/Tanks. It's super fun.

Shadow Field is something I use situationally. Maybe in a doorway or other place where a lot of enemies will bunch up in one spot. It's a nice slow with a chance for hold. It's not an opener.

Edited by Ice_Warden

All on Excelsior. 

Possess is awesome, I wouldn't drop that. But I'd certainly take HoD over Maneuvers or Afterburner. Now Thunderclap, that's definitely useful, but it may be hard to drop something. However, I could see dropping Hurricane, or dropping Hibernate and moving Hurricane way back... you can't run Hurricane AND go in the middle of a spawn for HoD/Thunderclap, so you have to decide whether to go with ToHit debuff or Stunning. I like ToHit debuffs, but sometimes Hurricane is difficult to use, while Stunning mobs with large-radius PBAoEs is not that hard to use. It's pretty safe to go into a spawn that's not acting because they're Feared then perma-Stunning them. Actually, the only issue isn't safety, it's whether you're willing to move around a lot, back for Living Shadows and then forward for HoD/Thunderclap.

I'm building this prioritizing set bonuses for mac recharge and ranged/AoE defense. I'm doing this in part because I don;t have much experience (or none at all) with some of the powers in the power set.

I think some of the comments above reflect some of the different building and playing styles, which is what makes this game awesome. Many "right" ways to play the game and use each power set.

Afterburner is a mule for the LoTG +Rchg. I don't need fly, but can't take afterburner without it. The other pool that lets me slot two LoTGs is Concealment but I need it even less. At least fly/hover can be useful and afterburner makes you fly faster and can cap your defense early in the gme if oyu need to escape.

Maneuvers is both place for another LoTG +Rchg and part of getting to softcap defense (about 4% of it)

I do see dropping hurricane, as I mentioned this is meant to be a ranged fighter since my melee defense is only 25%, hurricane can be a way to repel melee fighters out of range in a pinch, or possibly for pushing foes back into the freezing rain, but it't definitely optional. I could replace it with something that needs few slots, those would have to come out of the procs in my pseudo-pets (tornado, storm. spout) at the expense of less damage

Agree that Hibernate is a freebies, no slot to spare and it's at least a way to turtle and recover when the going gets bad. I originally thought I must take it becuase the description of Coralaz says I need two powers in the pool, but then Mid's let me put it in with only one.

thanks for the advice everyone, I will try my build more or less as-is for now, but keep in mind the idea of going melee with HoD+T-Clap or just HoD, 

what exactly does Energy Font do? I could take HoD instead of Hurricane and 6-slot it with Will of the controller. And have stare with 1-3 slots slotted with the triples from Overpowering presence and the Energy Font proc, but I don;t know what that does.

I also slot for Rech and what I typically do is take Fly, Tough and Weave. But instead of Hover and Afterburner I take Combat Jump. Then you get your mules when you take the epic pool shield powers...whatever that may be. You can have CJ on all the time and get the bonuses. You can use it with Fly to get crazy maneuverability. I found hover to be basically useless. 

The energy font is just a little temporary pet that spawns and attacks enemies for some extra dmg. I would definitely put Overpowering Presence in Fearsome because it fires more often and you can potentially have two energy fonts out at once sometimes. Then Will of the Troller in HoD. You wouldn't believe how long mobs stay feared with those 6 slotted.

Edited by Ice_Warden

All on Excelsior. 

27 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Unless things have changed I wouldn't put Miracle (or Numina's) in Hibernate.  I believe they will only proc when you activate Hibernate.  Though with the proc changes (+7yrs since Live) I could be wrong.

good to know, maybe I'll just put a recharge in it (still 2 minutes recharge even with all the recharge)

Here is a version with Heart of Darkness instead of Hurricane, Fearsome Stare ends up with minimal slotting but Energy Font will add a "pet" which is a theme for this build. I am not in love with the set bonuses from Overpowering Presence though, so no attempt to 6-slot it

Living Shadows doesn't seem to proc that often so I'm not sure if it's worth the investment in procs, I may move some of those slots to other powers (actually I did get rid of the procs in the process of writing this post, see below)

The jury is still out on possess, I don't find it useful in teams, at 31 it still doesn't recharge fast enough to be useful on bosses, I'm not that patient. With Shadow Field only available every 75s, I'm still not liking it as an alternative, I was considering putting thunderclap in instead but I would need to slot 6x Stupefy to keep my defense softcapped, which means it would do knockback and I can't have that. So Possess stays for now.

I 6-slotted Haunt for extra damage and recharge (6 seconds off perma) and its 3.13 defense bonus allows me to remove a slot from Possess. If I 5-slot Living Shadows with Gravitational Anchor I get a 15% acc bonus (does it carry to pets?) and another 10% recharge. To do this I decide to single slot Fearsome Stare. with the recharge and acc bonus I don;t think I need more slots, just used it for Energy Font.

I can trade some of that recharge for utility: opt our of the flight pool (lose 2 LoTGs) but take combat jump (get an LoTG back) which opens up 2 slots. I could take superjump or superspeed for travel, and have a power slot leftover (but only the default slot for enhancement) or even stick with Ninja Run + Sprint + Combat jump and have 2 free slots.  Superspeed+Mist makes you invisible without an IO at the cost of a little more endurance compared to sprint with IO + Mist but is great mobility in mission. I realized in this process that I was counting the inherent defense of hover in my totals but didn't intend to hover all the time, whereas Combat Jump would stay on all the time. So the build below takes CJ and SS (likely always on) and Assault for damage boost. Hopefully I can take the endurance drain. Otherwise I may put hurricane back in as a situational power.

I think I have enough accuracy (+30%), otherwise I might steal a slot from Tornado or Waterspout and add another Thunderstrike in Lighhting Storm for the additional 7% accuracy. I need those pets (and myself) to still hit reliably when playing at +4.

Darth Tempest: Level 50 Natural Controller
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- Lck-Acc/Hold(A), Lck-Rchg/Hold(5), Lck-Acc/Rchg(7), Lck-%Hold(7), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(9), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(13)
Level 1: Gale -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(3), GrvAnc-Hold%(3), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(5), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(9)
Level 4: Super Speed -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(A)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- Rct-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(13), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(15), Rct-ResDam%(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(17)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- JvlVll-Dam%(A), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(17), AchHee-DefDeb(21), AchHee-ResDeb%(23), PstBls-Dam%(23), TchofLadG-%Dam(43)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(31), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(42)
Level 20: Heart of Darkness -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(25), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(36), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(39)
Level 22: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(29), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(29)
Level 28: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(39)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), LucoftheG-Def(33)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(33), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(33), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), BldMnd-Acc(34), BldMnd-Dmg(34)
Level 35: Tornado -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-DefDeb(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(37), EndRdx-I(42), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Water Spout -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-DefDeb(43), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(43), AchHee-DefDeb/Rchg(46), ExpStr-Dam%(46), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 44: Shark Skin -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(45), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Ags-ResDam(46)
Level 47: Summon Coralax -- BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(A), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), BldMnd-Acc(50), BldMnd-Dmg(50)
Level 49: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
------------

I just hit 32 tonight (started the night at 21 or 22) so I haven't experienced the Umbral Beast yet. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

Another option instead of Assault is to take Thunderclap with an Acc/Stun/End IO from Overpowering presence. This is a controller, so more control is good. Thunderclap recharges in 19s, so always readdy when HoD is (27s). Just need to be careful about lower melee defense (I just cannot figure out a way to softcap it too). It requires reordering a few powers since it's not available as early as Hurricane or Assault was.

Assault could still be taken at lvl50 where incarnates help with endurance, or even forgo superspeed for it and get back to sprint+IO for stealth.

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

To note, the Miracle and Numina's procs won't proc in Hibernate, but I believe that the Preventive Medicine: Absorb will, if you'd rather get a proc in there rather than a Recharge.

Edit: I mean, won't proc just because they're in Hibernate unless you activate Hibernate, while the Absorb will proc just for slotting it.

Edited by Coyote

The more I have Hibernate in my main, the less I like it. Seems like the only time I need it is because I got mezzed. And you can't use it if you are mezzed. So if I do end up dying it's because I had to watch my health bar drop because I couldn't do anything about it.

All on Excelsior. 

I have had it for months and respecced today because of this conversation 🙂

I changed to Psi pool with the mez protection and the resistance power.

Have fun with your journey! I probably respecced my toon 7 times and built it twice as many times in the hero builder 🙂

All on Excelsior. 

The whole Storm strategy revolves around getting three key powers as up as often as possible:

• Freezing Rain
  • Tornado
  • Lightning Storm

The combined, unmodified endurance cost of these powers is more than 70 endurance (that is, 70% of your blue bar) so your overall strategy must deal with that.

Most IO sets generally do not provide endurance discount. You want to be slotting damage. That implies choosing a Alpha slot that provides a good discount.

There are two incarnate Alpha slots that provide Endurance Discount.

• Cardiac
  • Vigor

Either of them will work for this build, depending on your needs. I selected Vigor Radial Paragon so I could underslot for healing, end reducaion,  and accuracy. You could choose Cardiac for higher endurance discount (if you need it) and extending the Range of your cones.

For the tertiary pool, I picked Psi, in order to get mezz protection from Indomitabe Will. Thats because I would encourage you to pick a Destiny slot that provides Endurance/Recovery instead of Clarion for the mezz protection.

Other general stuff:

• Remember the first 3 powers in most Controller pools are attacks. Slot them with either direct damage, procs, or what have you. The fact that they also provide control is a secondary aspect of these powers other than some interesting slotting they provide.
  • Since Storm lacks a self heal I recommend taking Aid Self. This will give you the ability to patch up between fights.
  • I would not try to run Tough/Weave on a Storm build. IMO you don't need it. Run cheaper powers like Hover and Combat Jumping. CJ fills the Immobilize hole left by Indom Will.
  • I left the level 28 power blank. I'd choose Hurricane, Thunderclap, Field Medic, or Resuscitate.

The build below has 34.3% Ranged defense, soft capped during emergencies by eating a purple, bring you to 46% Ranged defense. A single Fearsome Stare versus anything up +4 enemies will also effectively soft cap you.

(Math versus a +4: Fearsome has -21.6 ToHit, which is -10.3 ToHit on a +4.  -10.3 + 34.3 = 44.6. This is slightly under the soft cap but unlikely to matter in practical application.)

image.thumb.png.9e7c6aa4bd7002d49461dc05b6cd80c7.png

GENERIC CONTROLLER DARK CONTROL: Level 50 Magic Controller
Power Pool: Medicine
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(5), UnbCns-Dam%(21), NrnSht-Dam%(21)
Level 1: Gale -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- PstBls-Dam%(A), TraoftheH-Dam%(5), CldSns-%Dam(11), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(17), Rgn-Dmg(19), Dtn-Acc/Dmg(19)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 6: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(7), CrcPrs-Conf(7), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(11)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(31), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(36), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(37), GldArm-3defTpProc(37)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(13), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(13), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(15), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(15)
Level 14: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(23), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(25), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(25), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 20: Aid Other -- Heal-I(A)
Level 22: Aid Self -- Heal-I(A)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(A), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(27), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(27), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(29), UnbCns-Hold(29)
Level 28: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SlbAll-Build%(34), CldSns-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(39), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), Apc-Dam%(40), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(40), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42)
Level 41: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 44: Mental Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), PstBls-Dam%(50)
Level 49: Mind Over Body -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-End%(43), EndMod-I(46)
Level 50: Vigor Radial Paragon 
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 21% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 21% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 6% Defense(Melee)
  • 6% Defense(Smashing)
  • 6% Defense(Lethal)
  • 6% Defense(Fire)
  • 6% Defense(Cold)
  • 18.81% Defense(Energy)
  • 18.81% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 24.13% Defense(Ranged)
  • 6% Defense(AoE)
  • -1.7 Enhancement(Knockback)
  • 4% Enhancement(Held)
  • 4% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • 4.4% Enhancement(Terrorized)
  • 8% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • 8% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • 61% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 112.5% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 8% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 6% SpeedFlying
  • 106.8 HP (10.5%) HitPoints
  • 6% JumpHeight
  • 6% SpeedJumping
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Confused) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 31.25%
  • MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
  • 20% (0.33 End/sec) Recovery
  • 26% (1.1 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 10% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 10% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 24.25% Resistance(Fire)
  • 24.25% Resistance(Cold)
  • 14.5% Resistance(Energy)
  • 14.5% Resistance(Negative)
  • 10% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 10% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 6% SpeedRunning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RE: Fearsome Stare. There is disagreement  in the community about how to approach this power. My general recommendation though is to think of it as a debuff power that happens to Terrorize instead of a Terrorize power that happens to debuff. Fear duration can be useful, but since Fear is a soft mezz, and since Fearsome Stare recharges so quickly, the need to make the mezz last isn't as strong as other control powers. On the other hand, the base -15% ToHit is very tasty. -15% can generally be turned into around -21% or so with basic slotting. +4 enemies roughly resist all debuffs by 50% (technically its 48%, but just saying "half" makes the math easy to eyeball), so opening with Fearsome effectively provides you with +10.5 defense.

Now, I'm aware that direct comparisons between -ToHit and +Defense are unwise. There are all kinds of reasons that -ToHit doesn't get applied in the real world (power misses, you drop into the middle of a spawn unexpectedly, etc). But overall Dark Controllers are some of the easiest Controller to build into tanks, because virtually nothing resists -ToHit the way they do mezzes.

Also note there is an entire subset of Dark Control character who makes use of Power Boost to make his or her -ToHit insane. I wouldn't probably go for that with a /Storm Controller for reasons aout endurance management stated above. But if I was, say /Time, I'd be all over Power Boost. Power Boosted Fearsome Stare with the slotting I provided hits as a -40% ToHit (or about -20% on +4s). The fact that no developer caught that Farsight shouldn't receive boosts from Power Boost is one of the great mistakes of all time in the player's favor. 🙂

Edited by oedipus_tex

59 minutes ago, Ice_Warden said:

And the other lead off power of Living Shadows also debuffs. So you lead off every fight with 20+% defense vs +4 mobs. 

Now you know why a Dk troller can lead off fights for teams and stay safe.

And also with that debuffing the option to move in and really neuter them with multiple stuns is not as dangerous as one might think.

Thanks. some good thoughts.

I don;t want to waste 2 slot for a self heal and don't want to spend time chasing other to heal them, between regen and popping a green insp, I think I'm OK without them, although I have used them in the past pre-IOs when it was harder to boost regen. I'd rather rely on insp for health than for defense. The high defense also highly reduces the risk of mezzes and when oen does hit, a break free does the trick. Finally I want to take Mako for the extra pets, it's part of the concept . Not taking it is exactly like saying make a /time controller because it's better than /Storm (for the record my fire/time corruptor is probably my most powerful character)

I agree that the first 3 powers of a controller can be thought as damage, although my experience with the procs in the AOE immobilize is that it pales in comparison to later (pet) damage. Mids says your slotting does 61 damage in Living Shadows, including procs and the 53% damage increase from Ragnarok. I assume that's per target hit? I had my original build slotted with procs so I will likely try without them and see if I miss them. Slotting Gravitational Anchors is not because I want to slot it for immob, it's because I get 15% accuracy and 10% recharge from the set (and minor goodies) 

I thought about getting Clarion Radial because it has a power-boost like effect although only every 2 minutes, and leaves a 30s (?) hole in your mezz protection compared to Core.

I did overlook the -toHit component of most dark attacks, though, so maybe I can relax my build from going for the defense softcap, although as you say you don't always control what is hitting you, especially in teams.  Some food for thoughts, especially since it's a good argument for not taking the fighting pool

Dos the chance for buildup in umbral beat apply just to hit or affect you and/or other pets also?

Thanks for the thoughts on Vigor and Destiny to help with Endurance.