AV/GM killer

Xandyr

The problem is you invest on Damage proc, instead on investing on +recharge set bonuses,. For example, with 5 Unbreakable Constraint in Blind, you have +10% recharge. Even with my Illusion/rad  with perma Hasten and perma AM, it was not easy to achieve perma Phantom Army. I achieved Perma PA only the moment I reached Tier 2 Agility and I did invest in 4 LoTG and as many +recharge set bonuses that I could get.  You willl then have to rely heavily on Recharge reduction Tier 4 alphas and Ageless. Perma PA is the Key to make a GM/AV hunter Illusion controler. A 3 second gap in PA is more than enough for some AV and GM to crush down a controller.

Edited by LynxNordique
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later

I was able to get the recharge on PA down to 61.6, without incarnates. I got rid of caltrops (even though I love proctrops on my MM) for triage. Put a dysnc it and moved the slots around to give PA the bu proc, and another def/end in manuevers and frozen armor

I might pick nerve instead of musc radial but it should be enough. Force field gen allows me to go ageless to bring PA to 51 seconds post 50. 

It would be easier with force feedback but the only thing that takes in traps are the mines, and I picked def over adding it there. 

If I wanted to shorten the pre incarnate recharge on PA I could replace some procs in PT with basilisk. However controllers are the AT than can slot 6 procs in it. 

Edited by bustacap

For an Illusion controller, all is needed is perma pa, a good - regen power and a - resistance power. With that you can solo most lvl54 av (except robots and some others) and GM. All the rest, including proc, Lore, Judgement and interface is just gravy. You can solo, with such a minimal setup, with some additional spectral wounds attacks and some sacrificial Phantasms, Jack and Eochai at the same time. The only thing that is really useful is getting the end usage and the recharge down. 

So, a chance for build up in PA, a kb to kd in Phantasm (for qol against regular mobs) , as much Lotg +rech and +recover in health is all the proc that are needed. All the other proc are for your fun and to bring the defeat time down. 

Edited by LynxNordique

Yes you really want PA as reliably on a 58 sec or shorter recharge to minimize the risk of grabbing aggro during casting.  58 rather than 60 is more ideal because of the way PA casts.  The phantasms appear at 1 sec intervals, so at 0, 1 and 2 sec and disappear at 60, 61 and 62 secs hence for a complete overlap the first replacement phantasm needs to appear 58 seconds after the last previous one appeared as I recall the conventional wisdom back on Live.

• 3 weeks later

I’ve never found perma or sub 60 second PA to be necessary on my Ill/cold. I think I’m around 61-62 without ageless or FF proc. When I do have a gap if softcapped range defense and colds ability to neuter an AV/Hero isn’t enough to survive a swing or two- I’d be doing it wrong. I feel I get much more mileage out of procing my attacks for better damage than an extra second or two off of PA.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

01 Gypsy Night.mxd

This is my current Ill/Storm build. It hits pretty hard and works well for both ST and AoE (Tornado + Water Spout ftw!) which is difficult with Ill/Storm. For this build I have binds on my number keys, /bind 0 PowExecLocation 0:5 Water Spout , so that I don't target the summons. For higher level content I rarely use my attacks.

Casting Group Invisibility supplements Steamy Mist's stealth while also adding extra defense...

I might be able to squeeze a little more damage out by adding some procs, but I found this is a good balance, and I don't have to worry about the upcoming proc adjustments.

She does well against AVs. I tried her in monster island north of Peregrine, and was able to move the bar, but had endurance issues.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

• 1 month later
2 hours ago, BrandX said:

I see no mention for ILL/Poison.  Is it no good?  If it is good, is Poison Trap needed to do it?

Poison without poison trap is nowhere near as damaging. Since venomous gas (probably) has your illusionist hanging out in melee range anyways and with so many skippable powers in poison you might as well proc up poison trap and use it for a mini-nuke every 20+ seconds or thereabouts. You can put the superior entomb +absorb proc into poison trap to noticeably improve survivability while in melee range. 

Illusion / poison works fairly well, overall, as long as you don't mind hanging out in melee. It's a fun build for teaming; mobs will tend to just melt when an illusionist / poison controller is on board. And, as long as your ill/poison troller is IO'd up well, you can comfortably take alpha in the clear majority of situations. Plus, you can come up with some really good thematic / roleplay characters with that powerset combination. But, functional limitations with AOE damage and the need to consistently be in melee range to get the most out of venomous gas and poison trap can make soloing higher end content more challenging (especially at +4x8 because the purple patch tends to quite noticeably diminish the effects of the debuffs). 

FWIW, Illusion / TA is probably noticeably stronger at debuffing and controlling mobs than Illusion / poison. Also, illusion / TA doesn't require being in melee range to get the most you can out of those two powersets in combination. That aside, illusion / poison can be enjoyable, depending on our playstyle preferences. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

2 minutes ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Poison without poison trap is nowhere near as damaging. Since venomous gas (probably) has your illusionist hanging out in melee range anyways and with so many skippable powers in poison you might as well proc up poison trap and use it for a mini-nuke every 20+ seconds or thereabouts. You can put the superior entomb +absorb proc into poison trap to noticeably improve survivability while in melee range. 

Illusion / poison works fairly well, overall, as long as you don't mind hanging out in melee. It's a fun build for teaming. And you can come up with some really good thematic / roleplay characters with that powerset combination. But, functional limitations with AOE damage and the need to consistently be in melee range to get the most out of venomous gas and poison trap can make soloing higher end content more challenging. 

FWIW, Illusion / TA is probably noticeably stronger at debuffing and controlling mobs than Illusion / poison. Also, illusion / TA doesn't require being in melee range to get the most you can out of those two powersets in combination. That aside, illusion / poison can be enjoyable, depending on our playstyle preferences. 

Yeah, but I never got behind the idea of using /TA just for trick arrows and other powers concept wise.

Now I'm trying to decide what secondary to go to for it that I like mixing with Illusion.

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

I hear Ill/Traps can work for it.  Is there powers in Traps to skip?  Is Trip Mines good for AVs?  With the setup, I'm just not sure.

Traps tends to fall into the only-good-for-AV category. While it has a lot of useful effects, they're really hard to use in fast-moving multi-enemy encounters. In a largely static fight against a single hard target, they're decent if someone (or something) else is taking all the aggro.

In terms of Trip Mines, they're an AE attack with a long recharge. That makes them good for large spawns, not particularly important for single hard targets.

Hi forums,

Have been reading up on controllers, and tinkered with a few. So far controllers seem like an AT that take a lot of planning but could be rewarding. But I have a question -

Why is Time Manipulation not considered a good AV/GM killer? I mean it has -DEF, -Res, some -Regen, and even a heal. Why is it not considered a contender? Are their effects too weak or too short in duration, or something else?

Right now I am debating on either Illusion/Dark or Illusion/Storm. I agree with all the things said about /Rad, but I have a /Rad mastermind and didn't like it, the toggles were too small for my liking. 

39 minutes ago, Neiska said:

Hi forums,

Have been reading up on controllers, and tinkered with a few. So far controllers seem like an AT that take a lot of planning but could be rewarding. But I have a question -

Why is Time Manipulation not considered a good AV/GM killer? I mean it has -DEF, -Res, some -Regen, and even a heal. Why is it not considered a contender? Are their effects too weak or too short in duration, or something else?

Right now I am debating on either Illusion/Dark or Illusion/Storm. I agree with all the things said about /Rad, but I have a /Rad mastermind and didn't like it, the toggles were too small for my liking. 

Because Time's -Regen is sadly a joke and it's -Resist isn't that great when it doesn't have the damage (like Storm) to make up for it.

What Time has, is good survival, tho I don't feel it's much better than Darkness, but Time may be a little easier for others in those terms.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, BrandX said:

Because Time's -Regen is sadly a joke and it's -Resist isn't that great when it doesn't have the damage (like Storm) to make up for it.

What Time has, is good survival, tho I don't feel it's much better than Darkness, but Time may be a little easier for others in those terms.

Thanks bunches. I have only dabbled with Darkness, as I usually like Buffs instead of Debuffs in games, but all the big brains say if you want to push content in CoH, them Debuffs are King. I think I will go Illusion/Darkness/Fire, it just seems to have an overall balance of healing, buffs, debuffs, CC, even END tool which will be nice. And I hope it will be decent enough at groups of trash as well as soloing the big things.

1 hour ago, Neiska said:

Thanks bunches. I have only dabbled with Darkness, as I usually like Buffs instead of Debuffs in games, but all the big brains say if you want to push content in CoH, them Debuffs are King. I think I will go Illusion/Darkness/Fire, it just seems to have an overall balance of healing, buffs, debuffs, CC, even END tool which will be nice. And I hope it will be decent enough at groups of trash as well as soloing the big things.

I've been enjoying Illusion/Traps myself, if you're looking for something else.

I have an illusion/storm and my son has a time manipulation w/pets.  Between the two of us and our pets, we're essentially a full team.  Could you imagine this + 6 other players, who also have pets? 😯😯😉😉

We plow through groups seamlessly.  The Time manipulation compliments the illusion/storm combo very nicely, from my own personal experience.

11 hours ago, StormyWeathers said:

I have an illusion/storm and my son has a time manipulation w/pets.  Between the two of us and our pets, we're essentially a full team.  Could you imagine this + 6 other players, who also have pets? 😯😯😉😉

We plow through groups seamlessly.  The Time manipulation compliments the illusion/storm combo very nicely, from my own personal experience.

Having teamed with my Corruptor with 6 Masterminds yes I can I can imagine.  There were 43 of us (6 MM's with 6 pets each plus me).  All I can say is thank god I was a ranged character and for tab targeting.  

• Like 1

It's pretty awesome that the thread I started 2 ½ years ago is still going! 😁

As far as mine, I went Ill/Dark. He's a beast! I've solo'd numerous AVs/GMs. This combo works great whether solo or teamed up.

The only problem.....I have fun with this toon and it is so powerful,  I haven't made any other trollers bc I am afraid I will be disappointed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xandyr said:

As far as mine, I went Ill/Dark. He's a beast! I've solo'd numerous AVs/GMs. This combo works great whether solo or teamed up.

The only problem.....I have fun with this toon and it is so powerful,  I haven't made any other trollers bc I am afraid I will be disappointed. 

Ill/ Trollers just spoil you in general. I have Ill/ with /Dark, /Storm, /TA, /Traps, and /Cold. All of them pretty OP at this.

6 hours ago, Xandyr said:

I have to say, I have more fun soloing my Ill/Traps than my Elec/Storm

• 2 months later

Here my Ill/Storm taking down Sunstorm (Hero / AV). I know this Hero is one of the easiest to solo but you will have an idea what these two powersets combined can accomplish. Also soloed the Ghost of Scrappyard with this charater.

You cant go wrong with this combo!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:41 AM, serxiom said:

Here my Ill/Storm taking down Sunstorm (Hero / AV). I know this Hero is one of the easiest to solo but you will have an idea what these two powersets combined can accomplish. Also soloed the Ghost of Scrappyard with this charater.

You cant go wrong with this combo!

The biggest problem with Ill/Storm is that all the powers are good... That being said, with the new changes to Stealth I will be picking up both SI and Steamy Mist so I can get solid Invisibility and Defense from SI, Solid Resists from SM, and help my team...

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

4 hours ago, Zepp said:

The biggest problem with Ill/Storm is that all the powers are good... That being said, with the new changes to Stealth I will be picking up both SI and Steamy Mist so I can get solid Invisibility and Defense from SI, Solid Resists from SM, and help my team...

You are right... all the powers in /Storm are really useful. My build is made for teaming mostly on TFs were Stealth is a must for some speed runs. You defenitily should try this powersets combo. It shines solo and teaming and besides that can go GM / AV hunting.