AV/GM killer

Xandyr

1 minute ago, serxiom said:

You are right... all the powers in /Storm are really useful. My build is made for teaming mostly on TFs were Stealth is a must for some speed runs. You defenitily should try this powersets combo. It shines solo and teaming and besides that can go GM / AV hunting.

My first toon and main since live is Ill/Storm...

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

12 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Cool thread. Does anyone have a build for the ill/cold AV killer?

As with any illusion controller, if it can't kill PA then the fight is yours to lose. Strive for high uptime of PA, benumb, and stack sleet. Proc your attacks including infrig because endurance is a non issue. Everything you build on top of that is more for ambushes/adds, multiple AV's, or dealing with unique mechanics. Most AV's are about as simple as killing a standard boss for ill/cold.

14 hours ago, Yaliw said:

How do you guys think an Earth/Storm/Earth would fair? I assume with Fossilize + Hurl Boulder + Seismic Smash (and all the storm goodies) it would do fine.

It can do well, though /storm/earth(seismic smash) is a huge endurance pit. I like the 2 res uniques for stoney and with a bit of support he can tank a lot of AV's (he taunts) leaving you free to heap on the damage which storm has in spades. Hurricane unfortunately doesn't do much vs AV's so you may want to build up other defenses in the event that stoney doesn't keep their attention completely. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later

Reading this thread makes me nostalgic for the days, circa 2008, when the general public was just discovering that it was possible to muster enough dps to overcome the... 95 hps or so? that a level 50 AV regenerates, and it instantly became the favored e-peen stroking activity of forumites. It's fun to look at the insane amount of power creep that's happened since then; in the modern age, good dps characters easily spit out 300-400 dps without deploying lores.

Anyway, define "best". Though whatever your definition, controllers are unlikely to be it at least as far as AV's are concerned, due to 1) their very low dps and 2) inability to stack vast amounts of confuse that doms can. Some builds, such as ill/cold, are still competitive for killing GM's without lores since in a loreless situation with GM's, -regen is more relevant. Though I don't know anyone in 2022 who's still impressed by that; people have moved on to undermanned runs of hardmode TF's.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, Zect said:

Anyway, define "best". Though whatever your definition, controllers are unlikely to be it at least as far as AV's are concerned, due to 1) their very low dps and 2) inability to stack vast amounts of confuse that doms can. Some builds, such as ill/cold, are still competitive for killing GM's without lores since in a loreless situation with GM's, -regen is more relevant.

Sure, but back then it was more like being impressed by killing lvl 50 chimera, or spending an hr+ to kill lusca.

Lvl 54 Seige w/ rings, Sinclair, Ghost Widow, or Director 11. GM's like Boomtown goliath, or Ripple surge - those things require a lot more than 94 dps. Let alone scenarios like the Twins where you are fighting both and vandal shows up, or Hro'dritz+honoree in Lady Grey TF. Those situations will squash or stalemate most builds, including most builds people are taking in to HM content because they are a different focus.

Anyone can load up on super insp and pop a longbow lore I guess, but not needing those things is a lot better than needing them. I think when people talk about AV/GM killers they mean without many outside aids and ideally without lore.

Confusing AV's is one of the least efficient methods. My ill/sav dom does it because that's all it can do vs AV's (literally), but a "better" AV killer has already downed it and moved on before I've even confused it...

On 11/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, Zect said:

Though I don't know anyone in 2022 who's still impressed by that; people have moved on to undermanned runs of hardmode TF's.

I tip my hat to those doing such, but it is a different focus. The force multiplication on even small teams is off the scales in this game. I'll personally be more impressed by those solo'ing HM on 2+ w/ minimal deaths, insp, or crutches like lore, but that is just me.*

* 1 star is pretty easy, my ill/cold has solo'd both ITF and Aeon w/o insp/lore.

Edited by Frosticus

• 5 weeks later

I'm going to ignore the debate on if there is merit to killing an AV, because I find it fun, challenging and enjoyable to make builds that can.  Yes, there are always going to be better things, but so what?  Controllers have been in a strange place ever since the purple patch came in and it's only gotten worse with the power proliferation that's happened over the years.  Sure, most good DPS characters can manage it.  However, I don't need to be the best, but I still see AV killing as at least a badge of a reasonably competent build.  

With that said, the one I didn't think would do it seems to be rather good at it.  Dark/Poison.  I didn't think the toon would have enough survivability to manage it, but they did and I've gone through most of the Maria Jenkin's arc with them at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

I’ve taken the same Illusion primary character through three different iterations (/Posion, /Rad and now /Traps). The Traps isn’t done but even without Hybrid or any T4s it’s putting Pylons and AVs down the fastest (and in some cases, at all; the /Poison stalls out at +3 Diabolique)

EDIT: I see now why folks don’t toggle on Hybrid for Pylon times. The Ill/Traps hit 97 seconds (524 DPS, I think?) with the t3 Assault on

Edited by Panache

• 1 month later