Strengths/Weaknesses/"Best" Stalker primaries?

Seroster01

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

I haven't actually tested savage leap with additional recharge, but it should be a 15ft aoe with base rech of 40. Which according to the ppm calculation should mean it is 89% for 3.5ppm procs. 

I slot 4 damage procs, 1 -res and a +5 arma dam. I use musculature radial to finish off the damage enhancing and to help my endurance (sm/bio). I've posted in some other savage threads how power performs with said procs.

Chance for hide proc almost always goes in AS for most stalkers. Savage is no different. If it hides you then use hemo vs something meaty. Or if fighting a pack then use rending flurry, or ball lightning.

The only time I use blood stacks at 5 is in rending flurry. Leap>AS (rehides)>rending flurry at 5 stacks and 15ft aoe. 

Lead that off with an epic aoe and that is some of the best (and largest) aoe any stalker can do.  It is also very easy with no special positioning required, plus savage leap always ensures you are at the front of race to the spawns haha.

Otherwise, if hemo exhausts me while I'm fighting then so be it. I'm not going to avoid hemo (especially if I'm hidden). There are no real downsides to being exhausted.  Watch your combat log to see how hemo functions hidden/unhidden. Blood stacks help it, but not as much as hidden status and not as much at the 5th stack helps rending flurry. 

I don't use shred.

I'd never thought about it before, but the PPM sheet I was using (found through a series of links from the PPM guide) was apparently only set up for ST attacks. I knew there were additional parts for the calculation of AOE PPM, but I'd never thought about them being missing from the sheet. I changed things up on the sheet to calculate AOEs properly, though I don't have the math chops to alter the formula to show the max amount of +rech to keep it at 90% chance, so I'll just give that a shrug for now...

Anyway, having done all of that I see that you're right about starting at 89% chance. The rest of your post has answers for basically everything I wanted to know, so TY for that. And yeah I was starting to think I'd ditch Rend after I got Flurry, but havent put it into practice cause he's lvl 15-ish at this point due to the fact that I've still had very little time to play (and won't till at least Saturday 😭). 

A question I did have after reading your response: I guess you're saying you don't slot any accuracy at all into Savage Leap? And that doesn't cause issues with misses? And one I just thought of, do you use Leap vs single targets, AVs & such?

Thanks for being so helpful! 

A question for the crowd: how do y'all like Elec for Stalker? I know it was mentioned early, but doesn't seem to have spawned much further discussion. It's the 2nd most interesting primary for me, and I'm mostly curious about it due to fearing SM being pure Lethal damage will make it worse in practice than on paper. Love to hear some discussion on SM vs. Elec if folks have experience with both.

1 hour ago, Seroster01 said:

A question I did have after reading your response: I guess you're saying you don't slot any accuracy at all into Savage Leap? And that doesn't cause issues with misses? And one I just thought of, do you use Leap vs single targets, AVs & such?

Thanks for being so helpful! 

A question for the crowd: how do y'all like Elec for Stalker? I know it was mentioned early, but doesn't seem to have spawned much further discussion. It's the 2nd most interesting primary for me, and I'm mostly curious about it due to fearing SM being pure Lethal damage will make it worse in practice than on paper. Love to hear some discussion on SM vs. Elec if folks have experience with both.

acc isnt an issue. I have offensive adaptation, tactics and kismet. plus about 45% global acc bonus. It's a lvl 50 build so lvl shifted for 45+ content. that is enough for 95% vs +3s.

I use savage leap sometimes against single targets. w/ 5 procs it is definitely worthwhile. but it is a bit endurance heavy on my build. I use it often if AVs start fleeing and against fliers. You can que up a follow up attack vs fliers. 

Elec melee is good.  Stalkers get the best version, same as savage in that regard. Less st and aoe once procs are factored in, but a better damage type and cooler looking power effects. Lightning rod doesnt proc the way savage leap does (ie LR isnt great for procs) but it doesnt break hide so that can be advantageous. 

On 1/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, Leogunner said:

It's not common to hear much about staff.  Doesn't it have more aspects that benefit it?  If I remember Staff mechanics right, on the other ATs, they have to get a power called Staff Mastery that gives them the 3 forms toggles and Form of the Body is like a stacking +dmg boost for every stack of Perfection...but for Stalkers, they get Form of the Body for free?  Is that right?  And ontop of that, Stalkers get Build Up.  The only thing you give up is the cone immobilize attack (and the other 2 Form toggles) but get Assassin's Staff instead (fair trade, imo).

The case for staff:

- very AoE friendly.  You lose Innocuous Strikes, which has the worst animation, ever.  You won't miss it.

- Assassin's Strike adds some much needed ST damage and you can form a coherent chain with 3 ST attacks then Eye of the Storm for the dam res debuff.

- relatively low endurance needs.

- auto Form of the Body means that you can set up a dam res debuff every four attacks, which helps with the relatively low damage.

- defense buff (melee/lethal) with Guarded Spin, which you get at level 2.

The case against staff:

- a lot of long animations.  If you have a click heavy secondary, be careful since you could be dead by the time your animation finishes.

- relatively low smashing damage.  Could be lethal, which feels a lot worse, especially end game.

- I don't really love any of the weapon skins.  YMMV.

Depending on your secondary, staff can be great to mediocre.  I love it with Bio, which also helps with the "relatively" low damage.  My Staff/Bio stalker is an AV killer, and I don't use temp powers like Envenomed Dagger.  Of all my Staff/Bio alts, I have to rank them 1. Stalker, 2. Brute, 3. Tanker, and a distant 4. Scrapper.

Who run Bartertown?

12 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The case for staff:

- very AoE friendly.  You lose Innocuous Strikes, which has the worst animation, ever.  You won't miss it.

- Assassin's Strike adds some much needed ST damage and you can form a coherent chain with 3 ST attacks then Eye of the Storm for the dam res debuff.

- relatively low endurance needs.

- auto Form of the Body means that you can set up a dam res debuff every four attacks, which helps with the relatively low damage.

- defense buff (melee/lethal) with Guarded Spin, which you get at level 2.

The case against staff:

- a lot of long animations.  If you have a click heavy secondary, be careful since you could be dead by the time your animation finishes.

- relatively low smashing damage.  Could be lethal, which feels a lot worse, especially end game.

- I don't really love any of the weapon skins.  YMMV.

Depending on your secondary, staff can be great to mediocre.  I love it with Bio, which also helps with the "relatively" low damage.  My Staff/Bio stalker is an AV killer, and I don't use temp powers like Envenomed Dagger.  Of all my Staff/Bio alts, I have to rank them 1. Stalker, 2. Brute, 3. Tanker, and a distant 4. Scrapper.

Thanks for the feedback here. Staff is a set I've always been slightly interested in but never interested enough to get a lot of levels on one. I made a staff/bio Scrapper & didn't really feel it. I did like the Halbred skin, mostly because I made a costume that I rather liked; female character with a Valkyrie/Barbarian theme & full-body chainmail underneath. Perhaps I should've made that one a Stalker...

22 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

I'd never thought about it before, but the PPM sheet I was using (found through a series of links from the PPM guide) was apparently only set up for ST attacks.

These are the formulas that I use for my builds which are preset for "all powers" to use.  Dunno why @Bopper didn't copy/paste these onto the OP of the thread.

Click Powers that are NOT chains

PPM * ((BaseRecharge / ( 1 + RechargeBoost from Enhancements and Alpha / 100 )) + CastTime) / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + Radius * (11 * Arc + 540) / 30,000))) = Proc Chance

*Note* For Single Target use Radius = 0 and Arc = 0.

*Note* For Sphere, Arc = 360. Use the Radius and Arc values provided in the Info panel of your Build Planner.

Click Powers that ARE chain attacks

PPM * ((BaseRecharge / ( 1 + RechargeBoost from Enhancements and Alpha / 100 )) + CastTime) / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + 0.75 * MaxTargetsHit))) = Proc Chance

Toggle, Auto (and Pseudopets?) that are NOT chains

PPM x 10 / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + Radius * (11 * Arc + 540) / 30,000))) = Proc Chance

*Note* For Single Target use Radius = 0 and Arc = 0.

*Note* For Sphere, Arc = 360. Use the Radius and Arc values provided in the Info panel of your Build Planner.

Toggle, Auto (and Pseudopets?) that ARE chain attacks

PPM x 10 / (60 * (0.25 + 0.75 * (1 + 0.75 * MaxTargetsHit))) = Proc Chance

5 + PPM * 1.5 = Minimum proc % chance

90% = Maximum proc % chance

The PPM for each Proc can be found HERE although this information has not yet been vetted for Homecoming servers as of yet.

*Note* The Proc Chance value returned by this formula will, for example, be 1.0 for a 100% chance to proc.  Just multiply the answer by 100 to see it as a straight % chance to proc.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

4 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

These are the formulas that I use for my builds which are preset for "all powers" to use.  Dunno why @Bopper didn't copy/paste these onto the OP of the thread.

That's useful to have, but I'd already replaced the main formula in the sheet I used. My conundrum was that the sheet I modified had a 2nd set of inputs that would output the maximum amount of recharge you could slot in a power & retain 90% chance to proc. I tried to compare that formula to the base formula to see if I could "reverse engineer" it, but I couldn't grasp how to do it in the amount of time I devoted to it. I might think harder about it once we get home & settled over the next couple days, but haven't had the time yet.

2 minutes ago, Seroster01 said:

My conundrum was that the sheet I modified had a 2nd set of inputs that would output the maximum amount of recharge you could slot in a power & retain 90% chance to proc. I tried to compare that formula to the base formula to see if I could "reverse engineer" it, but I couldn't grasp how to do it in the amount of time I devoted to it.

I just write up everything in a RTF editor first and the copy/paste the completed formula into Spotlight (mac user here) and let the OS run the computation for me to give me an answer.  If I need to figure out where the 90% threshold is, I simply edit the recharge parameter until getting as close to 90% as possible through iterative guessing.

Basically I do "slide rule math" using my iMac ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

10 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

I just write up everything in a RTF editor first and the copy/paste the completed formula into Spotlight (mac user here) and let the OS run the computation for me to give me an answer.  If I need to figure out where the 90% threshold is, I simply edit the recharge parameter until getting as close to 90% as possible through iterative guessing.

Basically I do "slide rule math" using my iMac ...

Yeah I have the formula in a Google sheet, with cells for the various input #s, which the formulation cell takes & then spits out the result for the numbers I put in.

I can certainly just change the recharge value till I find the cutoff, but it was much more convenient when I could put the values in & it would tell me the maximum directly. The given formula works for single target powers (since that seems to be what the sheet was originally set up for), but it isn't set up to take the base data for and/or calculate the AoE-related values (Area Factor & such).🤷‍♂️

Edited by Seroster01

22 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

I'd never thought about it before, but the PPM sheet I was using (found through a series of links from the PPM guide) was apparently only set up for ST attacks. I knew there were additional parts for the calculation of AOE PPM, but I'd never thought about them being missing from the sheet. I changed things up on the sheet to calculate AOEs properly, though I don't have the math chops to alter the formula to show the max amount of +rech to keep it at 90% chance, so I'll just give that a shrug for now...

I found this sheet on the board here somewhere.  I don't remember who to credit it to.

It has an easy to change section for ST vs AoE, and it does the max recharge thing, too.  Attached.

For ST, just change the radius to zero, and the AreaMod becomes 1.  Tada!

i25 PPM formula.ods

Edited by Caulderone

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Dunno why @Bopper didn't copy/paste these onto the OP of the thread.

They are in the OP. It's in a spoiler block called Single Formulas (for Copy/Paste). I just didn't include the chain formulas.

2 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

My conundrum was that the sheet I modified had a 2nd set of inputs that would output the maximum amount of recharge you could slot in a power & retain 90% chance to proc

I have the formula for this in the Guide. It's question #1 in the FAQ section.

I'll post it here to save you time (go to the guide if you want to see the derivation):

Frequently Asked Questions:

1) How much enhanced recharge can I put into a click-power and still achieve the maximum 90% Proc probability?

If the Proc has a greater than 90% probability to Proc without enhancement, you can calculate the maximum allowed enhanced recharge as follows:

image.png.3f7ca36eb745ee4baf9a9342df975c43.png

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

41 minutes ago, Bopper said:

They are in the OP. It's in a spoiler block called Single Formulas (for Copy/Paste). I just didn't include the chain formulas.

I have the formula for this in the Guide. It's question #1 in the FAQ section.

I'll post it here to save you time (go to the guide if you want to see the derivation):

Frequently Asked Questions:

1) How much enhanced recharge can I put into a click-power and still achieve the maximum 90% Proc probability?

If the Proc has a greater than 90% probability to Proc without enhancement, you can calculate the maximum allowed enhanced recharge as follows:

image.png.3f7ca36eb745ee4baf9a9342df975c43.png

Thanks for jumping in here! I've read through the guide quite multiple times but I suppose my brain just assumed I'd never need to do the calculations again after I found the PPM calculation sheet "attached" to the sheet listing PPMs you linked in the guide & didn't realize this formula was at the bottom. 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

Thanks for jumping in here! I've read through the guide quite multiple times but I suppose my brain just assumed I'd never need to do the calculations again after I found the PPM calculation sheet "attached" to the sheet listing PPMs you linked in the guide & didn't realize this formula was at the bottom. 🤦‍♂️

Sometimes I update the front page, so it's possible it wasn't there before. But it has been awhile since I last updated it.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

21 hours ago, Bopper said:

Sometimes I update the front page, so it's possible it wasn't there before. But it has been awhile since I last updated it.

Nah I'm sure it was there & I just didn't look for it, since I assumed the sheet linked from the PPM list was all I'd ever need. My brain's been pretty useless lately, but that's neither here nor there...

I've got my SM/Bio Stalker up into the high 30s at this point, and overall I'm very impressed with his capabilities. I do wish he had like, ANY  amount of DDR, but such is the lot of /Bio characters (except for Sentinels, oddly enough, who end up with a solid 40%+ DDR, IIRC... they definitely got the best version of Bio IMO). I think it'd be really nice to have a unique IO that gave resistance to Defense Debuffs similar to the Winter's Gift unique, but it seems like such a thing would end up either too strong & unbalance a lot of the game, or too weak & be a waste of a slot. 

In an attempt to get back on topic after having derailed my own thread, I'm frequently amazed at how strong Stalker ST damage is. Opening with BU(+Gaussian's)>Hemorrhage>Assassin's will kill a lot of bosses before the Hemo dot runs out. Only  thing I'd consider an "issue" in the ST department is that I have a hard time keeping track of when the Hide proc triggers. Rending Flurry is also much better than I was expecting,  both with 5 stacks and without. The range certainly feels tiny when it isn't empowered, though that may be some amount of cognitive bias. Leap is amazing, and I can't wait to reach 50 so that I can slot the 2 pieces of Armageddon that you suggested & then giggle maniacally when I've got a 600 damage 15' AOE with a 10-15s cooldown. 

Questions I do have, if anyone cares to answer them:

What's considered good among the Stalker EPP/PPPs? Saw it mentioned somewhere that Moonbeam was a good pickup, especially if you stick some procs in it. This leads me to question a few things: is Moonbeam affected by Hidebin any way, and/or can it crit through normal means? Do any of you folks use it in their regular rotation & can tell how it performs? Shadow Meld or whatever its called also looks very attractive to me, both as a significant mitigation buffer & as a place to put a LOTG. Any other suggestions? 

There was far more that i wanted to ask, but I'm suddenly extremely sleepy, so that'll have to wait for another time & assume I can remember to check in on this thread...

yah bio is a bit weak vs some end game stuff, but as a stalker you have the option of simply backing off for a few sec to shake debuffs and then savage leap right back in as no one expects you to tank. 

Epic snipes crit for full damage. They are great attacks. Moonbeam accepts one more damage proc than Zapp. Either will serve you well. zapp takes performance shifter which should now give you end as that was patched awhile ago. 

basically shadow meld vs ball lightning. Both can pretty dramatically shift your performance. In opposite directions mind you. 

I'm leveling a Staff/Bio. Surprisingly interesting. I had been wanting to try a Staff/ but always put off by the supposed low ST damage and of course that Stalker was the answer to that.

I wanted to try an Elec since supposed masters of AoE but eeeeeh, even after cooking a build I looked at it and wasn't impressed. Only AoE at low levels would be Chain induction, Thunderstrike has an abysmal animation time and Lightning Rod didn't impress me on me Elec/Shield stalker with the damage/recharge ratio.

Staff has been lovely. Start in hide, open with the PbAoE, hit a hard target with AS, follow with Guarded Spin. AoE galore! FF proc in the PbAoE ensures swiftness. AS and the PbAoE recharge about in the same time and thus make it worth it to wait the small gap and AS something first to fish for a hide proc.

I used Guarded Spin and the T1 for my ST rotation since both can take the -res. It's all about empowering AS and churning out AS as much as possible. I still have a gap even later on so I'm going with Serpent's Reach but the animation is too long to use for regular play so it's reserved for AVs. Mostly because I don't want to AS, T1, Guarded, T1, but as I level I might end up doing that and ditch Serpent's Reach. Dumb 2 second animation is contrary to my religious beliefs. In the same vein I took Sky Splitter but have no intentions of using it. Dumb *three* second animation. It would need to do triple the damage for me to consider it. Or to reverse the combo effects. I don't need extra res on ME, but the target taking -res is acceptable so I might see if AS, Mercurial Blow (-res proc), Guarded Spin (-res proc), Eye of the Storm (PbAoE with 3 point combo doing -res), makes for a decent attack chain. 

Yes, even at level 33 and not nearly slotted up the attack chain works fine already and actually I can leverage Eye of the Storm with Hide.  I threw the character at a Comic Con to get the last two levels so I could do Numina and it performed *admirably*. Only +1x8 and having to munch on two purples once in a while.

So basically start in hide, Eye of the Storm, Guarded Spin, Mercurial Blow, AS (saved for last to apply the last combo point and fish for a Hide proc), Eye of the Storm. From then on just continue doing the same and any Build-Up procs I saved for before AS to apply extra BOOM. Since AS animates ultra fast we are still within the 5 seconds of Gaussian to use EotS empowered by three combo points + Hide + Build-up + Gaussian proc + Force Feedback proc. Verrry nice. Remember to float above the enemies to get more juice out of Guarded Spin.

It means I have Sky Spliter and Serpent's Reach taken and slotted in my build but not used since I use this chain for AoE and ST. AoE because AoE, ST because Guarded Spin has -res proc, Mercurial Blow has the other -res proc, three combo EotS does -res as well, and AS is the linchpin wallowing in all that -res every five seconds.

Edited by Sovera

Having taken a StJ/SR stalker to 50 and heavily outfitted her, I will say that she is a beast. Yes Bio will output more damage than SR and but the joy of Super Reflexes is that it's very simply and cheap to hit the 45% softcap and then you can pile everything else into +Recharge (with the already added bonus of +20% recharge in the power set itself). StJ even without Bios help can practically two shot elite bosses with the good old Build up (With Gaussian slotted in it for double build up fun)>Assassin's Strike>ATO Hide proc>Crushing Uppercut. Sometimes if you get really lucky Build Up then refreshes from the other ATO unique and you're shaving off that last little bit of health remaining with ease. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:56 PM, Seroster01 said:

On the subject of Stalker's guile, where do folks normally put the Chance for Hide? I suppose this is somewhat of a general Stalker question, though I think it might be a tad more complex in SMs case. From what I've gathered in this discussion it sounds like Hide crit is best spent on Hemorrhage & thus the hide proc probably shouldn't go INTO Hemorrhage. It seems like Assassin's Flurry might be the best place for it, as it has by far the longest base cooldown of the remaining ST powers & thus probably poised to have the best returns from the PPM mechanics. 

The normal recommendation for the chance to hide proc on mechanical reasons alone is always in the Assassin's Strike power of your set because if it's anywhere else there's a chance it might trigger as you're doing for an assassin's focus "fast strike" and discover that you've gone into stealth and are doing the slow traditional snipe-like long version of AS. 

Also I don't have #s for Psi Melee but I have to say the set feels powerful and I love the tier 9 which is its only AoE. Alas, despite being a newer set, it does give up it's melee cone, Psi Blade Sweep, on stalkers. We just get Mass Levitate, or as I think of it, the button that has a 50% chance of triggering the build up resetting proc. Between it and an AoE power in my epic, I'm resetting build-up very frequently. Remember, some Stalker Epics get good AoEs (and not just shitty cones): Blaze Mastery gets Fireball but no snipe; Weapon Mastery gets Exploding Shuriken but no snipe; and Mu Mastery gets Ball Lightning AND a snipe, Zapp. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

15 hours ago, Erydanus said:

The normal recommendation for the chance to hide proc on mechanical reasons alone is always in the Assassin's Strike power of your set because if it's anywhere else there's a chance it might trigger as you're doing for an assassin's focus "fast strike" and discover that you've gone into stealth and are doing the slow traditional snipe-like long version of AS. 

if you run a full Superior ATO in the Assassins Strike it triggers most of the time.  Which seems good enough.  The set bonuses are very useful as well.  Definitely wouldn't put it in another power due to the whole micro-managing fast vs slow Assassins strikes.  

6 hours ago, Haijinx said:

if you run a full Superior ATO in the Assassins Strike it triggers most of the time.  Which seems good enough.  The set bonuses are very useful as well.  Definitely wouldn't put it in another power due to the whole micro-managing fast vs slow Assassins strikes.  

Agree completely:

1: always put the chance to Hide ATO in Assassin's Strike for the reasons stated above.

2: the set has good bonuses, and I always 6-slot it in AS.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Agree completely:

1: always put the chance to Hide ATO in Assassin's Strike for the reasons stated above.

I'm going to 3 slot it in 2 different powers, so that I get 10% S/L defense out of the set rather than 5%. Only way I can find to get anywhere close to the soft cap. 

Edit: The other 3 slots have 2 Touch of Death (including  the proc) & the Hecatomb proc. I'll have to check my math in a second, but with the slotting I had for it I think Hecatomb & the ATO had a 90% proc chance.  Those 2 barely reached 90% so the ToD is probably under the cap, but should still be pretty good.

Edited by Seroster01

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Agree completely:

I only put the hide proc in AS. 

3 damage procs

2 piece  superior winter set - acc/dam, dam/end

3 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

I'm going to 3 slot it in 2 different powers, so that I get 10% S/L defense out of the set rather than 5%. Only way I can find to get anywhere close to the soft cap. 

Edit: The other 3 slots have 2 Touch of Death (including  the proc) & the Hecatomb proc. I'll have to check my math in a second, but with the slotting I had for it I think Hecatomb & the ATO had a 90% proc chance.  Those 2 barely reached 90% so the ToD is probably under the cap, but should still be pretty good.

Good point if you do not have a Def based Secondary.

I like to 6 slot it to get the 10% recharge

10 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

This is usually what I do as well. I put the Acc/dam, quad and proc from the set to get the hide chance in there but modify the recharge as little as possible. The other slots are 2 procs and a straight damage io.