Is Sonic/Sonic too Redundant?

Pbuckley818

Nuff said, worried it might be a bit redundant and possibly reach -Res cap far too soon.

So couple of questions. Does the Sonic Attack -Res Debuff stack, or is it a single static debuff that is only refreshed by further attacks? Is there a -Res Cap, and if so what is it.

Dudes a Rockstar/Superhero, not the most original idea, but I think I've only seen it maybe once in game.

35 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Nuff said, worried it might be a bit redundant and possibly reach -Res cap far too soon.

So couple of questions. Does the Sonic Attack -Res Debuff stack, or is it a single static debuff that is only refreshed by further attacks? Is there a -Res Cap, and if so what is it.

Dudes a Rockstar/Superhero, not the most original idea, but I think I've only seen it maybe once in game.

Sonic Attack -res all stacks and they also stack with Sonic Resonance. The -res cap is -300%, you will not hit it by yourself and it is hard to hit it even on a full team, especially because it's -300% after the -res effects have been resisted. 

For that pairing though, I would go for a defender.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darkir said:

Sonic Attack -res all stacks and they also stack with Sonic Resonance. The -res cap is -300%, you will not hit it by yourself and it is hard to hit it even on a full team, especially because it's -300% after the -res effects have been resisted. 

For that pairing though, I would go for a defender.

Is their a reason for that? More - Resist from attacks or better support progression for better survival, ect? So I can make an informed decision.

6 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Is their a reason for that? More - Resist from attacks or better support progression for better survival, ect? So I can make an informed decision.

Ok, I shall inform you as much as I can.

Let's assume some things: 1. you can keep 4 -res attacks on a target 2. We will give some advantage to the corruptor by assuming we are at +100% damage (let's say we have a perma soul drain build) 3. We also have sonic resonances -res of 35% or 30% for def/Corr 4. We shall assume that our attack has a base of 100 damage before the damage scale differences. This means the attack will do 75 damage on corruptors and 65 damage on defenders

Ok, so corruptor first: 75 damage x 2 (+100% or 200% of the base due to the damage cap)= 150 damage 

Now we add the four -15% res attacks =60% + the -30% from Sonic Resonance = 90% -res total for the corruptor

So 150*1.9 (-90% res)=285 total damage for the corruptor

Now the defender: 65 damage x 2(+100% or 200% of the base for damage)= 130 damage

Four -res attacks -80% + -35% from Sonic Resonance = -115%

130*2.15= 279 damage for the defender

This is less than a 3% difference in overall damage compared to the corruptor. However, the defender is also making everyone else on the team do 25% more damage due to the stronger debuffs AND they have better modifiers on their pool powers further contributing to the team with things like maneuvers, assault and tactics, not to mention things like weave, tough, and other epic resist powers.

These numbers did not take into account mob resistance to debuffs, but the overall percentage difference should hold the same. For these reasons I would roll a defender whenever using Sonic Blast. The personal damage numbers favor the corruptor more and more the more damage buffs you have, but on a team, the overall dps contribution will still be higher on a defender even if you are at the damage cap.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Darkir said:

Ok, I shall inform you as much as I can.

Let's assume some things: 1. you can keep 4 -res attacks on a target 2. We will give some advantage to the corruptor by assuming we are at +100% damage (let's say we have a perma soul drain build) 3. We also have sonic resonances -res of 35% or 30% for def/Corr 4. We shall assume that our attack has a base of 100 damage before the damage scale differences. This means the attack will do 75 damage on corruptors and 65 damage on defenders

Ok, so corruptor first: 75 damage x 2 (+100% or 200% of the base due to the damage cap)= 150 damage 

Now we add the four -15% res attacks =60% + the -30% from Sonic Resonance = 90% -res total for the corruptor

So 150*1.9 (-90% res)=285 total damage for the corruptor

Now the defender: 65 damage x 2(+100% or 200% of the base for damage)= 130 damage

Four -res attacks -80% + -35% from Sonic Resonance = -115%

130*2.15= 279 damage for the defender

This is less than a 3% difference in overall damage compared to the corruptor. However, the defender is also making everyone else on the team do 25% more damage due to the stronger debuffs AND they have better modifiers on their pool powers further contributing to the team with things like maneuvers, assault and tactics, not to mention things like weave, tough, and other epic resist powers.

These numbers did not take into account mob resistance to debuffs, but the overall percentage difference should hold the same. For these reasons I would roll a defender whenever using Sonic Blast. The personal damage numbers favor the corruptor more and more the more damage buffs you have, but on a team, the overall dps contribution will still be higher on a defender even if you are at the damage cap.

I am convinced Defender it is. I shall be a god of armor stripping. Let all my foes kneel before me, glad only in their birthday suits and despair!

Honestly I am fairly addicted to -Resist as I have a Tanker optimized for it too. I think I might have a problem.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

I am convinced Defender it is. I shall be a god of armor stripping. Let all my foes kneel before me, glad only in their birthday suits and despair!

Honestly I am fairly addicted to -Resist as I have a Tanker optimized for it too. I think I might have a problem.

If you want to absolutely maximize your -res potential, then I would not suggest Sonic Resonance. A Cold/Sonic, Rad/Sonic, or Poison/Sonic would be better (Cold doesn't have a self heal but has more -res and +end in heat loss and sleet, Rad has a self heal and -res just not as much as Cold, Poison has the most -res but it is lacking in heals and -regen). Personally, I'd go with Cold/Sonic.

Edited by Darkir

17 minutes ago, Darkir said:

If you want to absolutely maximize your -res potential, then I would not suggest Sonic Resonance. A Cold/Sonic, Rad/Sonic, or Poison/Sonic would be better (Cold doesn't have a self heal but has more -res and +end in heat loss and sleet, Rad has a self heal and -res just not as much as Cold, Poison has the most -res but it is lacking in heals and -regen).

I think Sonic/Sonic is where I am gonna sit at, though rad is tempting. I like to heal, but that Agro man... Not sure if it goes with the Metal inspired schtick either.

EDIT: Oh my God If I can convince an ally to take a fall (Who am I kidding someone will totally just off themselves by pulling an extra group), I can combo Fallout, Vengeance, and Mutation, to do ungodly things... The temptation is so strong.

Edited by Pbuckley818

1 hour ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Oh my God If I can convince an ally to take a fall (Who am I kidding someone will totally just off themselves by pulling an extra group), I can combo Fallout, Vengeance, and Mutation, to do ungodly things... The temptation is so strong.

Edited 1 hour ago by Pbuckley818

Lol, do it

52 minutes ago, Darkir said:

Lol, do it

It is done, to make things make sense The Rad is his inborn mutant power, (Maybe he's one of the Nuclear 90 like Fusionette?) the Sonic is a device used in conjunction with his amazing vocal talent/skill.

This is going to be fun. I wonder If I can move this to the Defender Forum.

23 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

It is done, to make things make sense The Rad is his inborn mutant power, (Maybe he's one of the Nuclear 90 like Fusionette?) the Sonic is a device used in conjunction with his amazing vocal talent/skill.

This is going to be fun. I wonder If I can move this to the Defender Forum.

Can't move it, but I can start a thread there with a rad/sonic defender build for you.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 6:11 PM, Pbuckley818 said:

I think Sonic/Sonic is where I am gonna sit at, though rad is tempting. I like to heal, but that Agro man... Not sure if it goes with the Metal inspired schtick either.

EDIT: Oh my God If I can convince an ally to take a fall (Who am I kidding someone will totally just off themselves by pulling an extra group), I can combo Fallout, Vengeance, and Mutation, to do ungodly things... The temptation is so strong.

The "Faithful Fans of Fallout" of the RO Network sg's used this combo with deadly effect.  I'd recommend having Recall Friend in the mix to position the corpse/ally for Fallout usage.

You can run a 2nd account with you using leadership and invis. When you're fallout, Vengeance, and mutation are rdy, you sacrifice your sidekick, and then pop them back up to invis/leadership mule.

For your sacrificial lamb, you could run another defender for stronger leadership toggles in them. I would go sonic or forcefield so you can run a dispersion as well for the team.

Sonic Resonance doesn't offer any -Defense alongside its -Resistance powers so falls behind in the -Resist game.

Try Poison if you want crazy Resist debuffs. Though to be honest I am not that crazy about Poison.

A set like Storm Summoning or Cold Domination will get you what you are after. Sonic/Cold was for a long time considered a "super debuffer"character. It's still pretty good.

FWIW I prefer Beam Rifle to Sonic Attack. Don't feel stuck with Sonic just because it natively has -Resist. Beam Rifle is very competitive when slotted and less of a PITA to play. 

On the other hand, Sonic/Sonic isn't strictly badi if that's what you really want to play.

• 3 months later