Safe Mode Client Discontinuation FAQ (READ THIS IF YOU USE SAFE MODE)

The Curator

hello

i played on a old mac 2013 with capitan on safe mode.

now safe mode disapeared.

so i loaded Sierra , but the 32bit version doesn t work . i m trynig to load mojave.

i m french , i m not sure to understand all. but i've reade i can add on my island rum a patch for safemode.

i cliked on manifest

i put https//patch.savecoh.com/safemode.xml in the line who say "add" . i cliked on "add"

i try to click on play but it doesnt work .

what can i do ?

thanks for answering.

14 minutes ago, fandrall2 said:

hello

i played on a old mac 2013 with capitan on safe mode.

now safe mode disapeared.

so i loaded Sierra , but the 32bit version doesn t work . i m trynig to load mojave.

i m french , i m not sure to understand all. but i've reade i can add on my island rum a patch for safemode.

i cliked on manifest

i put https//patch.savecoh.com/safemode.xml in the line who say "add" . i cliked on "add"

i try to click on play but it doesnt work .

what can i do ?

thanks for answering.

Salut, je crois que ton erreur est que tu n'as pas inscrit le bonne URL dans le champ manifest, essaie de faire un copier/coller du lien en question pour éviter les fautes d'orthographe

http://patch.savecoh.com/safemode.xml

Edited by Seigmoraig

Hi COH Support!

My issue was reported previously under a Technical Issues support ticket #5899 . Moving details to this thread on advice of support tech.

My computer is a Mid 2012 Mac Pro, running Mojave v10.14.6 (18G2022).

I followed the Island Wine setup instructions (Build v112420192) and completed the COH Homecoming setup. I did see one DLL install error (sorry, wasn't able to capture what one).

I was unable to get the 32 or 64 bit versions of Homecoming to run, but was able to play the Safe Mode version. 

However, since late 4th Jan, I was no longer able to see the Safe Mode version available. Support tech directed me to the Legacy manifest to access Safe Mode. That solution worked, but acknowledge a solution for 32 and 64 bit error is required...plus I am finding that Safe Mode is often losing map server connection.

To help with resolving the 32/64 bit error being tracked on this thread- I've attached a 'Program Error Details' log from my failed attempts to open COH Homecoming 32 bit on my Mac. 

Let me know if any further info is required?

Thanks!

backtrace.txt

Edited by FreedomBob2020

I've got a 2007 mac and a 2009 mac (that I bought right before the game came back). I was able to play on both of them until yesterday when I relaunched Island Rum on the 2009 machine and Safe Mode went away. Oddly enough the 2007 still works as I didn't restart Island Rum. So "Safe Mode" still seems to be working, it just isn't accessible.
And i've never been able to make the 32 or 64 versions run. 64 is greyed out and 32 currently has this error:

Oh, and for some reason Island Rum will not let me change the manifest. Click the palm tree, first item on dropdown "Manifest" does nothing. Click it and the drop menu closes. All other items on the menu work fine. I've re-downloaded and reinstalled several times and it still won't work. Island Rum is Build 112420192

GM Korvin asked me to post here if I am unable to use the beta version,, so here is my info:

When I try to use the 32-bit beta launcher I see "Loading", then the CoH splash screen for a few seconds, then it exits out back to the launcher. It doesn't let me into the game. I can still play in safe mode though. To try and play the beta I changed the manifest to http://patch.savecoh.com/beta.xml with the results above.

MacOS High Sierra

Version 10.13.6

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Edited by Grimjackal

9 hours ago, Abraxus said:

I have been in the IT industry for a long time, and I have never seen even the most well planned, well executed changes work for everyone without some extra effort.  These guys are asking folks to use the system, to help them identify problems while there are still alternative environments to play in, while they are being solved.  They are being quite accommodating.  Probably more so than a game company would be.  They started talking about this months ago, and it sounds like it could still be a couple of months (or more) before they finally draw the line, and move past safe-mode support.  So, there is still time to figure out issues.  However, folks gotta keep expectations real. 

This is not a group of corporate developers who make their primary living doing this.  They are a group of skilled volunteers, who love this game, and provide all of this for free in their spare time.  Sure, there are those of us who donate funds to their cause regularly, but its not required of all players.  So, expecting them to solve every issue that everyone has on their personal systems likely isn't realistic.  Folks use their computers for a lot of things other than CoH, and they don't always keep them up to date, get rid of unused or outdated drives, or make sure their systems are even running well in general.  They just turn them on, and if they get to a browser, they figure it works well enough, until they try to use it for CoH.  It's not an accusation on my part, or a failing on their part.  It's just a fact of computer life.  However, these overworked Devs can't be responsible for every problem that folks personal equipment has that affect game play.  Let's face it.  The fact that the game has been playable on 10-15 year old computers has been nice, but if any real change was going to be made, it couldn't remain that backward compatible forever.  Nobody expects EVERYONE to be a tech-head to work on their own machine to make sure that the machine itself is not the cause of their problems.  But, by the same token, expecting the Devs to solve the ills of any/all systems that folks use for CoH isn't realistic either.

In the end, I have no doubt they will do their level best to solve the problems that are solvable, providing folks use the system, and give them the chance.  But, it's not going to work for everyone, because there are a myriad of problems that already exist on systems which prevent play, but keeps the computer doing whatever the owner needs it to do outside of CoH.  Sometimes, fixing the CoH problem could actually break it's ability to do the other things they primarily use the system to do, and they can't be held responsible for that either. 

That was really well said, I don't normally like anyone else speaking for me, but you have here, thank you

• Like 3

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Any users having issues should let the team know.

If someone was using safe mode because it worked where the others wouldn't, or even if safe mode just worked better that is good information to share.

I am 100% onboard with the goal. As GM_Korvin said " we want everybody to be able to play the game. "

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you were previously using the Wineskin or Cider clients for Mac, you will have to delete "City of Heroes.app" and "CoH.app" from your Applications folder in order to use the private Wine installation.  Otherwise Island Rum will ignore it and launch one of the above.

Contrary to what Codeweavers or anyone else says, Wine 4.0.1 (the private Wine install) works with Catalina as long as you're launching 64-bit Windows apps - it does not launch 32-bit Windows apps.  The versions of wine inside the Wineskin app (1.6.2) or Cider (1.4) don't work in Catalina.

I'm currently working on a new Island Rum release that will strongly encourage installation of everything inside the Applications folder - including Island Rum itself, and the game folder.  The option to select another path will intentionally become less user-friendly to ease troubleshooting.  I might also decide to make the Wine version hackable in a limited fashion, but I don't want that to be automatic, because it will make finding issues more complex.  It will also (if I can get Developer ID to cooperate) be signed, so it will still launch after the unsigned Mac app cutoff of Feb 3rd.

• Like 2

• Lead Game Master

Please don't multi-post like that, @castlebuilde. However, the only shard that gets occasionally wiped is the beta shard - that is to say, Pineapple at the moment. All the other, non-beta ones (Excelsior, Everlasting, Indomitable, Reunion, Torchbearer) are not wiped.

The legacy client (safe mode) is a completely different thing from that; all that dictates is how you access each of those shards - we're trying to move everybody onto the new 32/64-bit clients, so that game development can continue at a faster pace. However, it doesn't matter which client you use; your data will not be wiped: there is no "safe mode shard", only legacy and non-legacy clients.

Interested in supporting Homecoming? Consider applying to become a Game Master!

1 hour ago, castlebuilde said:

Oh, so I can still play on the Excelsior Server (not the safemode) and not have fear of everything being wiped?!?

correct.

it can be a little confusing.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Also unable to play without downloading the safe mode manifest.  I have the most current drivers for the GTX-590, but the card is old so I have always gotten the driver warnings when starting CoX, but it's a watercooled card and I don't have the 1k to replace it, unfortunately.  My OS is Windows 10-64 bit HE.

Under both 64-bit and 32-bit modes, I can get through picking a server, but when it switches to the character selection screen, it's just a gray window, Windows reports CoH stopped responding, and I have to force it closed.

Launching the application under administrator nor under safe mode help seems to make any difference. I was able to load to Pineapple, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having multiple pages of characters?

1 hour ago, Hellwraith said:

Also unable to play without downloading the safe mode manifest.  I have the most current drivers for the GTX-590, but the card is old so I have always gotten the driver warnings when starting CoX, but it's a watercooled card and I don't have the 1k to replace it, unfortunately.  My OS is Windows 10-64 bit HE.

Under both 64-bit and 32-bit modes, I can get through picking a server, but when it switches to the character selection screen, it's just a gray window, Windows reports CoH stopped responding, and I have to force it closed.

Launching the application under administrator nor under safe mode help seems to make any difference. I was able to load to Pineapple, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having multiple pages of characters?

If test/beta works, then it follows that the system is capable of running the live client as well.  I wonder if renaming the folder, redownloading Tequila, and letting it re-install the game files from scratch might not be a positive step?  Basically starting from scratch.  Since your character information is all stored server-side, you won't lose any progress, or characters.  If you have stored costumes, power profiles, or option config files, those are local, but they can always be moved back once you get the game working.

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 hour ago, Hellwraith said:

are you able to use the 64 or 32-bit clients ok on test? or only the safe mode client on test (I don't even know if the beta manifest still includes safe mode)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

• City Council
32 minutes ago, hoheckell said:

When i run on 32 or 64 bits this is the message, but in safe mode theres no message and run the game normally

Sem título.jpg

You probably used the driver shim workaround for older Intel integrated chips on the safe mode exe.

You just need to run through the same procedure except for the correct “cityofheroes.exe” in either hc-bin64 or hc-bin32, depending on which version you’re trying to run.

• City Council
4 hours ago, westhebehr said:

I can not run 32bit or 64bit on my 2014 IMac. safe mode is the only way it runs. Will this be fixed??

Please read and follow the steps in the first post 🙂

On 1/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, The Curator said:

The new client doesn’t work for me!
Ok! If that’s the case, then you need to tell us why. Without reports, we aren’t able to fix your issues.

If you’re not able to run either the new 32-Bit or 64-Bit client on the Beta server please post in this thread if you need support with Windows or post in this thread if you need support with Mac OS X. Not everyone will be able to run both 64-Bit and 32-Bit, as long as one works you’re fine.

Please read this if you need help accessing the Beta server.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!