Energy Melee

Firetwin78

Its long been considered a primer single-target set, primarily due to Energy Transfer, and the fact that it avoids the heavily-resisted lethal damage type in favor of the (somewhat) less resisted smashing and the MUCH less resisted energy.

The secondary effect is meh.. but most secondary effects are meh, at the end of the day.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Energy melee is OK for as long as your primary is not dependent on a self heal or emergency power for survivability.  Don't mix it with Fire or Electric primaries, because of excessively long animations. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

You should have seen it when ET had a short animation, it was by far the most devastating attack per activation or per second when it had the short animation especially when combined with build up.

It got nerfed hard with a much longer animation.

You could literally one shot some red bosses with it and incredibly fast before they knew what hit them or could respond.

But that's what made it overpowered.

I'm rebuilding my invul/energy from the days of old as an elec/kinetics just because the animation changing took the flare out of the set as I was accustomed to.

But yeah to answer your question it hits very hard with both ET and total focus.

I think if I remember correctly, after the nerf, energy punch was the highest dpa or dps in the set.

You could literally one shot some red bosses with it and incredibly fast before they knew what hit them or could respond.

But that's what made it overpowered.

I'm rebuilding my invul/energy from the days of old as an elec/kinetics just because the animation changing took the flare out of the set as I was accustomed to.

But yeah to answer your question it hits very hard with both ET and total focus.

I think if I remember correctly, after the nerf, energy punch was the highest dpa or dps in the set.

This leads me to ask; was the nerf too heavy handed? If the tier 2 power is truly the highest DPA of the set, that seems broken.

While it's monster performance in single target damage was the highest, I don't feel that made the set overpowered. Running solo with an Ice/EM tank, I wasn't cruising through crowds of mobs as quickly as a Fire/SS tank would. The strange thing about it, is that EM (from what I remember, so correct me if I'm wrong), wasn't more popular in use than high AoE performing sets. Sure, you could kill a boss faster, but you weren't killing everyone else along with the boss.

Does anyone have hard number evidence that EM needed the nerf to begin with? How it compared to other melee sets? I'm open to the argument that ET and TF might/i] needed their numbers reduced to some extent, but I remain skeptical the nerf that took place was necessary. Please, if anyone's got the argument, enlighten me.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

This leads me to ask; was the nerf too heavy handed? If the tier 2 power is truly the highest DPA of the set, that seems broken.

While it's monster performance in single target damage was the highest, I don't feel that made the set overpowered. Running solo with an Ice/EM tank, I wasn't cruising through crowds of mobs as quickly as a Fire/SS tank would. The strange thing about it, is that EM (from what I remember, so correct me if I'm wrong), wasn't more popular in use than high AoE performing sets. Sure, you could kill a boss faster, but you weren't killing everyone else along with the boss.

Does anyone have hard number evidence that EM needed the nerf to begin with? How it compared to other melee sets? I'm open to the argument that ET and TF might/i] needed their numbers reduced to some extent, but I remain skeptical the nerf that took place was necessary. Please, if anyone's got the argument, enlighten me.

It definitely couldnt kill mobs faster than my fire/fire or my invul/ss mainly because of the rage and footstomp - whirling hands is kinda underpowered compared to either of those sets.

EM stood out for swift single target dpa and dps and ET also has the health hit which was to offset the swiftness of it-use it enough combimed with hasten and other buffs without it any raven buffs to offset it, it could literally kill you. 

I'm honestly not sure if the hp hit per ET is still in, but it lost a lot of the fun when they made the main single target attack longer to implement, because you can get attacked mid animation, and theres also kill stealing while still getting the HP hit per use of ET whether the baddie is already dead or not.

It definitely made the set less attractive than invul/ss or fire/fire, so I rarely played it post nerf.

There used to be a planner that could map out an attack chain that could tell you which power was actually most beneficial in a set and post nerf it was energy punch for EM, I dont remember which planner that was though because that was around 10 years ago.