Safe Mode Discontinuation Support - Windows

Jimmy

• 3 weeks later
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:01 AM, nightscape said:

I can only run the safemode version of the client.  Both other versions try running on my second monitor for some reason, where they simply hang on a black screen until I force it to close.  This is on Windows 10.  I don't get any error messages or crash report so I'm unsure where to even start.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:25 AM, nightscape said:

If you're referring to the "cityofheroes-beta" applications found in the hcbin-32 or -64 folders, yes I did.  I get the same result sadly.

I'm having the exact same issue to the letter. Any further thoughts on a fix?

22 hours ago, Tamborjam said:

I'm having the exact same issue to the letter. Any further thoughts on a fix?

Sorry, but I have no idea.  Nothing I have tried has had any effect.  I've simply given up on being able to play once safemode goes away, to be honest.

• 2 weeks later

I can only run CoH in Safe mode as 32-bit and 64-bit say I do not have an OpenGL driver when I try to launch them.

I have a Dell Latitude E-series laptop.

It has an Intel HD 3000 chip.

I am running Windows 10, 64-bit, version 1903

The error I receive is in the picture below.  It says I need to go to the hardware manufacturer for the driver. 

Intel says the driver comes with the game I want to run.

The Win 10, 64-bit, drivers for the Intel HD 3000 chip do not have the OpenGL driver.

I have followed the guides on the forums to load a driver and to use the Compatibility Administrator and neither fixed the problem.

I'd like to play the game without buying a new computer, but when Safe Mode goes away, my access will as well.  Please help.

20200228_225320.jpg

• Game Master
4 hours ago, Shaddakim said:

I can only run CoH in Safe mode as 32-bit and 64-bit say I do not have an OpenGL driver when I try to launch them.

I have a Dell Latitude E-series laptop.

It has an Intel HD 3000 chip.

I am running Windows 10, 64-bit, version 1903

The error I receive is in the picture below.  It says I need to go to the hardware manufacturer for the driver. 

Intel says the driver comes with the game I want to run.

The Win 10, 64-bit, drivers for the Intel HD 3000 chip do not have the OpenGL driver.

I have followed the guides on the forums to load a driver and to use the Compatibility Administrator and neither fixed the problem.

I'd like to play the game without buying a new computer, but when Safe Mode goes away, my access will as well.  Please help.

Follow the instructions in this post.  However, there will be a substitution needed.

### Now we're in the "Create new Application Fix" window:
1. Type "City of Heroes" in the first box.
2. Type anything you wish in the middle Name of the vendor for this program box.
3. Click the Browse button & locate the game's folder.
    * If you do not know where your folder is, ask whoever you got these steps from or seek assistance
    in the Discord's tech help channel.
4. Click one time to select homecoming.exe then click the Open button.
    * This may only say homecoming depending on your system's settings.  If so, select the one with the
    City of Heroes icon, not a folder icon.

In step 4, you’ll need either ‘/hc-bin32/cityofheroes.exe’ or ‘/hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe’ as the file to shim.  You’ll need to refer to the same file for the rest of the process in place of homecoming.exe.  Choose the one you wish to execute for your system (64-bit most likely.)

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 2 weeks later
  • Game Master

As a heads up, Safe Mode has been pulled from the Staging Servers.  This is probably as best of a warning as I can make.

This is the last chance players have to turn in incidents concerning the use of the new client not working while having Safe Mode as a fallback.  We'll still handle support, but going forward, waiting means losing access to Homecoming Servers.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, GM Tahquitz said:

Follow the instructions in this post.  However, there will be a substitution needed.

### Now we're in the "Create new Application Fix" window:
1. Type "City of Heroes" in the first box.
2. Type anything you wish in the middle Name of the vendor for this program box.
3. Click the Browse button & locate the game's folder.
    * If you do not know where your folder is, ask whoever you got these steps from or seek assistance
    in the Discord's tech help channel.
4. Click one time to select homecoming.exe then click the Open button.
    * This may only say homecoming depending on your system's settings.  If so, select the one with the
    City of Heroes icon, not a folder icon.

In step 4, you’ll need either ‘/hc-bin32/cityofheroes.exe’ or ‘/hc-bin64/cityofheroes.exe’ as the file to shim.  You’ll need to refer to the same file for the rest of the process in place of homecoming.exe.  Choose the one you wish to execute for your system (64-bit most likely.)

That worked!  I can now run in 32-bit mode.  Thank you very much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

Can you try going into the tequila options and in extra command line parameters, put "-gfxreset -console" (without the quotes)?

Wow look like working your a genius ! ! Thanks thanks htanks ! <3:)

Edited by Lapinfou2

I just downloaded the game Monday, and I have been only able to play on safe mode.  If I try 32 or 64-bit I get the following message "The game failed to start on the last attempt.  Current system requirements are NVidia GeForce 2 or better, ATI Radeon 8500 or better, or an Intel GMA 900 or better."  My laptop has Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, and this is the most reason version of the driver.  Is there anyway I could get around this?

I am at a lost. I have done everything i can think of and everything i have seen on forums. My game just keeps crashing at random times and it keeps driving me crazy. There is not a crash report or anything i will be playing and out of nowhere it freezes for about 2 sec the  crashes to desktop.  I have 2  rtx 2080tis and the Intel i9-7980XE. all drivers are up to date. As there is not a crash report what can I do to resolve this. CoX is the only game i want to play at the moment. This happens on both 64 bit and 32 bit, but has not happened on safemode. 

Edited by Alldarune

• Game Master

Try running with the "-console" launch parameter.  When it happens, you might see error messages appear in the console before the crash that might give a clue to us.  (Without a dual screen system, it might be tricky to catch it.)

I hear you, though. Intermittent errors are the worst.  If this doesn't help, you can turn in a Support ticket and we'll ask you for system logs and detailed info.

Afraid nothing came up as the game crashed. This time it happened after 5 min. the video I made was to big of a file so the picture is the best I could do. No report was given this time as well.  I also forgot to mention i am on windows 10 and have 64gb of ram. Any advise would be much appreciated as once safemode is discontinued  I might have some issues. 🙂

CoHConsole.PNG

Tried 64 bit today,

• Seemed to be a delay with some interactions. Felt different than just lag.
  • Minor rubberbanding.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• City Council
On 3/24/2020 at 1:52 AM, Alldarune said:

Afraid nothing came up as the game crashed. This time it happened after 5 min. the video I made was to big of a file so the picture is the best I could do. No report was given this time as well.  I also forgot to mention i am on windows 10 and have 64gb of ram. Any advise would be much appreciated as once safemode is discontinued  I might have some issues. 🙂

CoHConsole.PNG

Two places to check to see if there's any indication of what the problem may be.

1. Check if there's a 'Crash' subfolder under your coh install and if there are any report files in there. In rare circumstances we've seen AV or other software blocking the crash handler from running. That unfortunately means the report files will be incomplete and may not be too helpful, but there may be some clues.

2. Check the Application Log in the windows event viewer. If there's some sort of fault that the crash handler can't catch, some information may be logged there.

In the costume creator I cannot change the second color, or for items like capes that have both an interior and exterior color, I can not switch to the second tab for the interior color.  The options are there on the screen but they do not respond to mouse clicks.  This is for both the 64 bit and 32 bit client.

I do not have this problem with the safe mode client.

Win10 running windowed mode.

Edit: oh, and I also cannot save the costume.  The box to enter the filename does not accept keyboard input.  Again, not a problem with the safe mode client.

Edited by psp07

On 1/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, Number Six said:

I'm working on a standalone diagnostic tool to help get the info we need from these oddball devices, so keep an eye on this thread for it.

At the end of the day, both the old client and the new one ultimately use the same method of getting joystick/gamepad input, but the old one had an extra middleware layer that Microsoft has since deprecated -- the newer one just gets the raw HID events directly.

In theory anything that works with the old client should work with the new one, but in practice there may be some not-quite-compliant hardware we need to do special workarounds for (that presumably DirectInput was doing before).

I am still have issues with the 32-bit client not recognizing my Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick.  The controller in the options toggle displays generic HID controller (raw input) and nothing else.  Only SafeMode allows me to utilize the joystick.

I am getting "game client unable to connect to login server". I have tried the re-validate option on both the 32 bit and 64 bit modes and both validate successfully. There are no crash folders present in the coh folder thougth I am seeing a longer log in the login screen obviously due to it trying to connect. I have made no changes on my device or firewall and this worked fine 2 days ago. Any help would be apprecaited.

• Game Master
17 hours ago, spideywi said:

I am getting "game client unable to connect to login server". I have tried the re-validate option on both the 32 bit and 64 bit modes and both validate successfully. There are no crash folders present in the coh folder thougth I am seeing a longer log in the login screen obviously due to it trying to connect. I have made no changes on my device or firewall and this worked fine 2 days ago. Any help would be apprecaited.

That's not a client issue.  Your computer can't 'dial out' over the network to reach the Login Server for some reason.  Check that the servers are running (you can see a Server Status page at the top of the boards, or visit Discord and check out #server-status-updates channel) or recheck your network settings at home.

So this has been an issue for months.

I've done the Open GL shim for everything it seems like... The original homecoming.exe in Tequila, the cityofheros.exe in the hc-bin64, the cityofheros.exe in the hc-bin32.

I"ve copied the cityofheros.exe out of the hc-bin64 and renamed it homecoming.exe in the main Tequila folder and done the Open GL Shim....

The computer: 64-bit operating system, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 

Display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 630

If i run it from the compatibility Administrator I get a different error:  The Code execution cannot proceed because PhysXcooking64.dll is missing reinstalling the program may fix this

What else can I do?

Thanks 🙂

Edited by despoena

• Game Master
On 4/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, despoena said:

So this has been an issue for months.

I've done the Open GL shim for everything it seems like... The original homecoming.exe in Tequila, the cityofheros.exe in the hc-bin64, the cityofheros.exe in the hc-bin32.

I"ve copied the cityofheros.exe out of the hc-bin64 and renamed it homecoming.exe in the main Tequila folder and done the Open GL Shim....

The computer: 64-bit operating system, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 

Display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 630

If i run it from the compatibility Administrator I get a different error:  The Code execution cannot proceed because PhysXcooking64.dll is missing reinstalling the program may fix this

What else can I do?

Thanks 🙂

(Reading the yellow highlight above...) That won't work.  The other files coded to the Safe Mode client won't work on the new client executable at all.

PhysXcooking64.dll is a different issue, the shim fix isn't going to address that file.  The file IS a part of the manifests in Tequila, so re-validating the game may return the file back to where it belongs.