Safe Mode Discontinuation Support - Mac OS X

Jimmy

Heyah!

I haven't run the game in Safe Mode, only in 32-bit. The newest version of Island Rum isn't compatible with OS X 10.10.5 - which, like you said is quite old - so I can't run the patcher anymore.

Huge thanks for your professional answer in any case!

16 hours ago, olio said:

Heyah!

I haven't run the game in Safe Mode, only in 32-bit. The newest version of Island Rum isn't compatible with OS X 10.10.5 - which, like you said is quite old - so I can't run the patcher anymore.

Huge thanks for your professional answer in any case!

If your hard drive is big enough and the hardware capable, then would you like some help maybe getting an OS step-up for compatibility?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

4 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

If your hard drive is big enough and the hardware capable, then would you like some help maybe getting an OS step-up for compatibility?

Thanks for the offer.!I do have Sierra and High Sierra installers saved, so maybe at some point I'll do the upgrade. At the moment my work-related stuff works with my current OS X, and that is - unfortunately - more important than getting CoH to work :)

15 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

So run the older one. 

The same link has the pre-Sierra build of Island Rum.

Looks like the old mac client needs some tinkering with the Wineskin, as there wasn't Island Rum application in that package. At the moment I unfortunately don't have time or energy for that, so I was hoping for an elegant solution like the "modern" Island Rum.

13 hours ago, olio said:

Thanks for the offer.!I do have Sierra and High Sierra installers saved, so maybe at some point I'll do the upgrade. At the moment my work-related stuff works with my current OS X, and that is - unfortunately - more important than getting CoH to work 🙂

Heh, I'm building an archive of installers for offline even though I probably won't use them. I'm aiming for one of those universal USBs to build that'll boot a Mac. I've ISOs for much of the Window's major releases already. 

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

3 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

I wish I had a Mac in front of me, I'd love to tinker with it on an older one and get back to you.  I'm glad WanderingAries reached out, you're in good hands.

Sadly, haven't touched my G4 in a bit. I need more space TBH.

Hi, I cant seem to find an answer online so maybe someone can help

I am new to this and downloaded island rum and moved to application and also created a coh folder in application. Then I just open island rum and let it download stuff. Now when I click the play button and get the little check nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 5:45 AM, Vulosopher said:

Hi, I cant seem to find an answer online so maybe someone can help

I am new to this and downloaded island rum and moved to application and also created a coh folder in application. Then I just open island rum and let it download stuff. Now when I click the play button and get the little check nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

I'm having the same issue on a new 13" MBP. Can anyone please shine some light on the issue?

• 2 weeks later
On 4/20/2020 at 11:08 PM, CamperSupreme said:

I'm having the same issue on a new 13" MBP. Can anyone please shine some light on the issue?

I too am having that issue. The installation of Island Rum went smoothly, everything appears to be there but when I click the button, a green tick appears for a few seconds, the writing above the blue bar says "Launching Homecoming (64-bit)" and then it reverts back to "Ready To Play"

I'm using a new iMac with Catalina

• 4 weeks later
On 4/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, Darkstirm said:

I too am having that issue. The installation of Island Rum went smoothly, everything appears to be there but when I click the button, a green tick appears for a few seconds, the writing above the blue bar says "Launching Homecoming (64-bit)" and then it reverts back to "Ready To Play"

I'm using a new iMac with Catalina

I discovered a possible solution to this problem:

IslandRum seems to write a file called /Applications/coh/islandrum.sh

But it seems to add some garbled characters as a first line.

If you remove those, so the file starts with #/bin/sh , then make the file read-only so IslandRun can't touch it again, the problem went away for me.

There is probably a reason IslandRum writes this file (it writes a command which version of the game to start). So this is only a temporary fix.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

10 minutes ago, RogerWilco said:

I discovered a possible solution to this problem:

IslandRum seems to write a file called /Applications/coh/islandrum.sh

But it seems to add some garbled characters as a first line.

If you remove those, so the file starts with #/bin/sh , then make the file read-only so IslandRun can't touch it again, the problem went away for me.

There is probably a reason IslandRum writes this file (it writes a command which version of the game to start). So this is only a temporary fix.

Awesome. I love open source crowd projects. I recently, found a semi alternative fix as well. This is my latest post update in another sub forum here. Open Winebottler —Advanced- navigate to city of heroes.exe in the cell they provide, and check .net and MSHTML under, then Install(bottom left)

JUST.... Incase .net didn’t get inserted along the way.. I’ve tested it on various MacOs, Sierra( tad different with (winestable) but above is absolutely spot in with Catalina. 

Lastly, here’s my Discord Chan, specifically to work out issues/walkthroughs if needed. Super small, they come and go as it’s sorted OsX Coh Installer w/help and Mids

p.s.  Later today I’ll apply your fix and hopefully it’ll skip some stuff, run smoother. Thanks mate!

Choake

• 2 weeks later

Island Rum x64 does not appear to recognize the Logitech G502 gaming mouse's buttons 4 & 5 on my Mac running Catalina. I tested the mouse using an old windows 10 laptop, and Tequila appears to recognize the buttons fine. 

I am running the most recent version of the Logitech Gaming Software, which has been discontinued in favor of their new server based Logitech Gaming Hub software. I have also tested the mouse with the Logitech Gaming Hub and Island Rum/COH didn't recognize buttons 4 & 5 either. The new Hub software is oddly not compatible with all of Logitech's gaming mice. 

The mouse has 2 modes, an on-board memory mode, and a software based Automatic Game Detection mode. Using the on-board memory mode, Island Rum appears to recognize buttons 4 & 5.  However, using the Logitech Gaming Software in Automatic Game Detection mode, it no longer sees buttons 4 & 5. This leads me to suspect Island Rum is not utilizing the Logitech Gaming Software in order to configure the mouse device but rather using the MacOS device configuration settings (which is nowhere near as robust as in Windows 10) ... but I am absolutely no expert.

Using the mouse in Automatic Game Detection mode instead of the on-board memory mode brings with it many more features and capabilities, not the least of which is the ability to save all of the custom button settings and binds in a file and store it on the computer, both for safe keeping and to transfer settings between devices. It's pretty much essential. 

One solution might be to install the Logitech Gaming Software inside of Island Rum, so that it is running the Windows version in the same environment as the game, but I have no idea how to do that to test it and must defer to the experts.  Or maybe there is a setting inside Wine or other software that could be installed to allow COH to see the buttons...?

Please help. Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later

Hey all, dumb question...

I finally got this installed on my iMac (2012 i7/32gb ram/GTX680mx 2gb/macOS 10.14.6). Game boots up and runs just fine even on Ultra Settings, but I'm not getting shadows or lighting effects in any way. Is there any way to enable them?

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Satanicus said:

Hey all, dumb question...

I finally got this installed on my iMac (2012 i7/32gb ram/GTX680mx 2gb/macOS 10.14.6). Game boots up and runs just fine even on Ultra Settings, but I'm not getting shadows or lighting effects in any way. Is there any way to enable them?

Thanks!

Setting - Under Ultra Mode, there are MANY options and adjustments you can make.. If anything, hit "set to default" and then start over... At least that's what I'm guessing is going on...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, choake said:

Setting - Under Ultra Mode, there are MANY options and adjustments you can make.. If anything, hit "set to default" and then start over... At least that's what I'm guessing is going on...

Yeah, mine are all n/a for some reason. Is there any way to overwrite the settings in some text file or something?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.42.27 PM.png

34 minutes ago, Satanicus said:

Yeah, mine are all n/a for some reason. Is there any way to overwrite the settings in some text file or something?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.42.27 PM.png

Only sure way I can think of, is setting to default. Then turn off ultra and try to set to default again, completely close Rum and then see if it’ll load properly. Or Enable Experimental graphics settings , the option right above graphics. I don’t have any idea how to replicate to work out a fix lol

• Faultline unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later

My PC crashed (I think my graphic card is fried) so I pulled out my old (2010) Mac Air and tried to run Island Time on it. I had run it before probably 6 months ago or less. A message came up that said it wouldn't run on Sierra and I had to update to High Sierra to run it (which seems odd since it ran fine before and I didn't update Island Rum but whatever). I updated to High Sierra. Now Island Rum launches but it's just a window with "Island Rum" at the top and the rest of the window is black. Does anyone have any advice on how to address? I have not had much to do with Macs in decades so I'm pretty clueless. 

2 minutes ago, Glowworm said:

My PC crashed (I think my graphic card is fried) so I pulled out my old (2010) Mac Air and tried to run Island Time on it. I had run it before probably 6 months ago or less. A message came up that said it wouldn't run on Sierra and I had to update to High Sierra to run it (which seems odd since it ran fine before and I didn't update Island Rum but whatever). I updated to High Sierra. Now Island Rum launches but it's just a window with "Island Rum" at the top and the rest of the window is black. Does anyone have any advice on how to address? I have not had much to do with Macs in decades so I'm pretty clueless. 

I would suggest trying the beta (I think it's still beta) COH launcher built by Homecoming.  You'll have to search the forum to find it, but it works AMAZINGLY well on my Mac and it installed super easy!  It actually performs better than it did using the other version of Island Rum.  And I recently (about 4 weeks ago) installed it on a 2nd Mac in the household, I just don't recall which thread it's in.

5 hours ago, Glowworm said:

If you haven't already, I'd try the new launcher (see official or my links) as it has more support at this point.