Why did they turn off the winter Atlas Park decor?

InfamousBrad

It's not an exact map of Providence or RI so you'll have to use your imagination a bit but Paragon is supposed to be in RI. You can see Woodlawn, the Blackstone Hills and the two areas that where combined into the neighborhood of Founders Falls in the north.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 minute ago, Frostbiter said:

It's not an exact map of Providence or RI so you'll have to use your imagination a bit but Paragon is supposed to be in RI. You can see Woodlawn, the Blackstone Hills and the two areas that where combined into the neighborhood of Founders Falls in the north.

I'll drop my smart arse attitude and just make my point

Paragon City is on Primal Earth

we aren't

the main point of that being

Seasons end in Paragon City when the people running the game say they do, what happens outside your window is irrelevant

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

4 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

If we’re going for realism, I’m more concerned that the City of Heroes Earth is rotating so quickly that everything on the surface would be hurled into space by centripetal force.

For the sake of avoiding global Armageddon, I would like the day/night cycle slowed down to 90 minutes per cycle (one rotation every 84 minutes being sufficient for a resting object to reach escape velocity at the equator). You’d still have near weightlessness at the equator, but at least it wouldn’t be throwing our atmosphere and oceans into the void.

That would be dependent on the mass of the planetary body, wouldn't it?  A significantly more massive world should have sufficient gravity to "feel" Earth-normal while simultaneously exhibiting a greater rotational velocity.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

19 minutes ago, Luminara said:

That would be dependent on the mass of the planetary body, wouldn't it?  A significantly more massive world should have sufficient gravity to "feel" Earth-normal while simultaneously exhibiting a greater rotational velocity.

True, but I presume a nickel/iron core for CoH Earth just like ours... anything more dense would be highly radioactive and probably prevented life (or liquid water) from spawning in the first place.

Plus, with all the tunnels deep under the Earth everywhere I'd presume even LESS density from all the alternate Earth villains who've mined it out to add mass to their own world in order to prevent the Apocalypse there (either that or that's what the ancient Oranbegans did to other worlds to keep Primal Earth from being destroyed after they sped up its rotation.

Again... all of the above is said in jest. It's a game mechanic so things that only come out at night or during the day can spawn in a reasonable time for players who might only have an hour to play a night.

4 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

If we’re going for realism, I’m more concerned that the City of Heroes Earth is rotating so quickly that everything on the surface would be hurled into space by centripetal force.

For the sake of avoiding global Armageddon, I would like the day/night cycle slowed down to 90 minutes per cycle (one rotation every 84 minutes being sufficient for a resting object to reach escape velocity at the equator). You’d still have near weightlessness at the equator, but at least it wouldn’t be throwing our atmosphere and oceans into the void.

No wonder we have to have War Walls; they’re the only thing holding the atmosphere in and possibly providing artificial gravity... though still less than 1G as evidenced by how high even out of shape civilians can jump.

Yes, the above is a joke (sort of... the bit about the orbital rotation required to cancel gravity via centripetal force is actually true and might make a good super-villain plot in some future arc), but it does point out the notion that some of the game mechanics are just unrealistic for the sake of playability.

Personally, before even seasons, I’d like to see them add rain. We know the art assets for rain exist from the Who Will Die? story arc. We also know that weather effects like falling snow can be attached to players so it’s appearing to rain all around them.

Throw in an overcast sky and you could have zone wide rain showers periodically (and we know the sky/lighting can be changed due to its use for zone events like the Rikti/Zombie invasions).

Standard Code Rant applies, but I think something like rain would be far more possible to implement than expanding the snowy/frozen areas game wide.

The Rikiti invasion was actually successful.

What we now call Paragon city is actually in an O'Neil cylinder and the rotation needs to be that high to provide spin gravity.  

The Rikiti now just watch the goings on of their little Hero Farm as reality holovision.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

The Rikiti invasion was actually successful.

What we now call Paragon city is actually in an O'Neil cylinder and the rotation needs to be that high to provide spin gravity.  

The Rikiti now just watch the goings on of their little Hero Farm as reality holovision.  

so, city is an Alien Ant Farm (yes I know Rikti aren't aliens, accuracy sacrifices need to be made for humour!)

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

32 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

True, but I presume a nickel/iron core for CoH Earth just like ours... anything more dense would be highly radioactive and probably prevented life (or liquid water) from spawning in the first place.

Ahh, but all of the players make Paragon City more dense.

2 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

so, city is an Alien Ant Farm (yes I know Rikti aren't aliens, accuracy sacrifices need to be made for humour!)

I can prove it.

Play City of Heroes.  

Zoom way way way out with your camera.

Can you do that in Real life? 

See?

Just now, Haijinx said:

I can prove it.

Play City of Heroes.  

Zoom way way way out with your camera.

Can you do that in Real life? 

See?

I can, but I did skid about 1/8th a mile down a road on my head when I was about 10, so...

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

19 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

What if i told ya'll that the world isn't flat and just because it's Winter in one part of the world, that doesn't mean it's Winter all around the world.

But it IS Winter where the game is set (New England, USA).

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

2 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

on THIS Earth, which isn't the games Primal Earth

Incorrect. See the PraagonWiki article for Paragon City

Paragon City is the setting of City of Heroes. It is a fictional city located in the state of Rhode Island in the United States. 

On Excelsior : Plasma Fury (Fire/Fire Blaster) - Prodigal (WP/SS Tank) - Terra Forma (Earth/Storm Controller)

1 minute ago, boggo2300 said:

we do not live on Paragon City's Primal Earth, easiest way to tell, no superheroes, or indeed Paragon City

I thought this thread was about whether or not Winter effects should be enabled in-game, in Paragon City, where in-universe Winter is still active.

Are you saying that is not what we are discussing?

Just now, TyrantMikey said:

I thought this thread was about whether or not Winter effects should be enabled in-game, in Paragon City, where in-universe Winter is still active.

Are you saying that is not what we are discussing?

why should it? there is absolutely no logical reason for the two things to be linked, it's up to the people running the game to decide when the effects of winter are displayed as they get to say when it's winter in Paragon City on Primal Earth, what the season is here in roughly the same area is completely irrelevant

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

2 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

So... Krypton?

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Ok, am I blind, or did no one bring up the point that it was apparently ONLY winter in -Atlas Park-, while still being the default season in every other zone?
Frankly, I'm more comfortable now that Atlas Park is back to normal.  It feels less out of place compared to the rest of the zones at this point.

• Like 1

Oooo maybe it should be Halloween again in game then. Halloween , Halloween , Halloween , Halloween !!

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

29 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Ok, am I blind, or did no one bring up the point that it was apparently ONLY winter in -Atlas Park-, while still being the default season in every other zone?
Frankly, I'm more comfortable now that Atlas Park is back to normal.  It feels less out of place compared to the rest of the zones at this point.

me too, thats my issue with the winter event, it jars

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Oooo maybe it should be Halloween again in game then. Halloween , Halloween , Halloween , Halloween !!

No... it should be Anti-Halloween... a month of solid high noon daylight. It's dark here at 5pm and the sun isn't fully up until 10am. Another month of eternal night in game would be atrocious. I was already seeking out arcs with outdoor missions just so the day-night cycle in them would give me a little daylight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1