Elec/Elec or Earth/Earth Questions

Magimaster

Hey all,

I have a concept character that could either work for an Elec/Elec or an Earth/Earth Dom, but info about both combo's is pretty scarce.  So I'm hoping someone can help with some general info.

For Elec/Elec the issue I could see is that its 'soft control' of endurance draining may be lackluster in teams where the mobs end up dead before you can fully drain em and leave them neutered or AV's who have huge endurance pools that you may never be able to drain at all.  Is this true in game or does the drain at higher levels with multiple abilies go quick?

For Earth/Earth, it seems strong with the -def debuff on its atttacks, but the immobilizes look like they may interfere with the 'soft control' effects of knockup/knockdown with a lot of Earths controls.  Does the set still work if you end up skipping the immobilizes and stick to the other abilities or is it still worth using them?

I can't speak for the elec, but for earth: skipping the immobs is quite valid, especially when quicksand helps fill that role with its slow and you're not dependent on them for damage as a dom. I skipped them even on my earth/sonic controller (which makes for two rotating earthquake powers) and didn't miss them.

Just be aware that using the ae immob is still popular for other controllers in your teams, so a knockdown-based control can get neutered by teammates pretty easily.

/Elec isn't that great when it comes to draining mobs; where it really shines is damage.

Elec/ What you heard about Elec Control is untrue.  Even without Endurance Mods slotted it can easily drain mobs withing mere seconds even bosses and it has NO issue with draining AVs and again that's without Endurance Mods.  It's super powerful.  I had an Elec/Earth Dom that I loved because I was able to slot Force Feedback in a lot of my powers including Jolting chain.  His Global Recharge was always through the roof.

Earth/-Like Runewritten said skip all of the Immobs and make sure to take Quicksand.  Also like Rune said a lot of controllers spam immobs so I depended on Earthquake for it -To Hit to mobs and I slotted Volcanic gasses with Hold and damage procs to make it very powerful.

/Earth is great damage and soft control and it really starts to come together when you get Seismic Smash.  Once I got to lvl 38 my /Earth Dom was in the thick of it next to the Brutes and dealing competitive damage to boot.  Seismic Smash is just TOO good.  In fact playing /Earth will make you feel and play like a Stone Melee Brute.  It's intoxicating!

Both are valid choices IMO. Earth control is a good set, as is Elec, and as the previous poster said skipping the group immob in Earth control is advisable but keep the single target. I haven't played Elec Assault, but Earth Assault is the bees knees man. Before CoH shut down I rolled Plant/Earth dom named Stinkbug, and it was easily one of my favorite characters to play. Earth Assault feels brutish, puts out amazing single target damage, and has a few control/soft control options in it (Disorient from Fault, KB from the early AOE). Also the amount of KB/KD on powers lets you slot the KB IO that gives you recharge chance, which can help meet Perma-dom requirements until you flesh out IO sets and LoTG. It also just looks damned pretty and has an almost tactile feel to it.

Highly suggested for /Earth dom, even if I'm currently loving Stingbug as Plant/Martial.

I would personally not skip.the AoE immobility on any Dom or Controller, but particularly on a set with an added secondary effect (Ice, Earth, Elec).  If you are worried about the cages cancelling -kd remember that that effect wears off independent of the immobility duration. So you can root stuff and it will start to.fall over after x seconds while not yet being able to move. Slow movement caps at a value too low to replace immob imo.

Earth is probably the best control set for exemplaring for TFs like Positron. -Defense is a godsend for speeding up underslotted teammates.

• 2 weeks later

Bumping this since I decided to go with an Earth/Earth Dom.

Just hit 35 so I've unlocked Epic power pools and am working on unlocking the Patron power pools as well.

I am debating Fire Mastery versus Soul Mastery.  Fire looks to give lots of AoE damage versus Soul which will get me +end and +dmg cooldowns.

Any recommendations on one versus the other? Does Rain of Fire do alot of damage or is it better to focus on Fire Ball and Melt Armor?

I fine Fire Mastery kind of lackluster. Rain of Fire does good damage but it's over a long duration; many mobs will die before it can deliver it's full damage. Fireball is good. The -res on melt armor is pretty low, iirc.

Soul Mastery is far superior to me.

Personally, I normally go Ice.  I like Ice for the -Res.  I slot Sleet with two -Res procs so you have a chance of debuffing a mob up to -64% then add in Ice Storm for more damage and you got a winner. 

I like Soul more for your toon since and Earth/Earth is very melee focused and you will no doubt have 10 people in your face at all times lol.

I'm leveling a earth/earth dom right now and i'm loving it.  Are there any other skippable powers in Earth control?  Is Animate Stone worth getting?

Depends on your play style.  Animate Stone is a must because it Tanks for you and it deals decent damage.  Personally I Skip: Stone Prison, Stone Cages and Salt Crystals.

• Like 1

Love my Earth/Earth Dom!  She is recreated from her former self in the live game, and she is just as fun these years later!  She is currently level 40, and while only using SOs at the moment, she feels pretty powerful!  In fact, she was never meant to be my lead character (first to 50), but it has certainly worked out that way.  Love the powers, and the sound effects.  It SOUNDS powerful!

What was no more, is REBORN!

As a earth/x dom, I keep stone cages in my build.

Reasons for this is:

After the latest patch, immobilizes doesnt remove the KD effects.

Stalag+ stone cages/quick sand =win. As they can't leave the area of effect.

In short, if you have room, keep at least stone cages in. Short  recycle on it and with having it 2-3 slotted it's reliable enough.

As a earth/x dom, I keep stone cages in my build.

Reasons for this is:

After the latest patch, immobilizes doesnt remove the KD effects.

Stalag+ stone cages/quick sand =win. As they can't leave the area of effect.

In short, if you have room, keep at least stone cages in. Short  recycle on it and with having it 2-3 slotted it's reliable enough.

Yeah, after the patch changed how immobs work, I would revoke my advice to skip them. Though I'd say earth, of all sets, doesn't need the immob from a control standpoint, it couldn't hurt to have some more AoE damage.

Salt Crystals is still endlessly skippable, though, if you really needed to take a hard pass on something. And, to me, the single target immob generally feels superfluous on doms.

Soul mastery feels great on my grav/earth dom. You're already deep in melee with /earth, so hitting that soul drain to open the pain is just a great feeling.

• 11 months later

Even after the immob change I still skip Stone Cages, why you may ask?  It makes it really tough for the Tanker, Brute, Kheld, DPS, Support or whatever to see past the bulky rock formations.    At times I miss having an immob when I'm on an AV team but in the end it's safer for my team to see problem mobs like a Sapper, Fortunata Mistress or an Overseer for instance.  Of course this is a to each their own situation so YMMV.

11 hours ago, Tater Todd said:

Even after the immob change I still skip Stone Cages, why you may ask?  It makes it really tough for the Tanker, Brute, Kheld, DPS, Support or whatever to see past the bulky rock formations.    At times I miss having an immob when I'm on an AV team but in the end it's safer for my team to see problem mobs like a Sapper, Fortunata Mistress or an Overseer for instance.  Of course this is a to each their own situation so YMMV.

Stalagmites and stone cages is the best opener in the game !.

Stone cages does not stop the flopping on earthquake.

Stone cages can hold mobs in volcanic gases.

Who cares what your team thinks. Think about what is best for you.

That is all i am going to say.

On to /elec.

If you are elec/elec anything and are not taking preemptive then i question your dedication to elec 😛

It makes elec/elec so over powered and every punch drains end.

It goes from .. "yeah sure i can drain your end over time" with elec/ to bash bash bash "oh i'm sorry you thought you had end ?"

In short all /elec is -end but get so much better with preemptive.

Openers for elec/elec should be Fences(-end),static field(-end) and with conductive aura (-end)most mobs are drained then you can wail on them with your secondry while using tesla cage for the trouble makers.

So never skip the elec/ immob.

Also if you put in a dominating grasp into the immob you get the orb which does more damage and spawns quite often in the immob.

I have had 2 spawn at the same time.

Edited by Chelsea Rorec

On 6/10/2019 at 12:37 AM, bartwart said:

I'm leveling a earth/earth dom right now and i'm loving it.  Are there any other skippable powers in Earth control?  Is Animate Stone worth getting?

I personally always skip the single target immob, salt crystals and on domis I also skip quicksand. The cast is too long and it's precious time I could spend doing some pewpew instead and being /earth a heavy melee set, my mudpots can do the job. As to stone cages, I take it and use as a mule for certain sets but I barely use it at high lvls, Tremor + Fissure don't leave many enemies alive tbh.

Edited by Nightmarer
Typos, typos everywhere

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!