Challenge Mode - Any ideas?

Troo

COX is super replay-able. I'm just wondering if there are additional ways we could challenge our characters or teams.

Some games have challenge modes. So does this one. We can set missions to have higher difficulties and add timers, travel power usage, number of deaths, etc. They are mostly related to missions already in the game. However the game doesn't cover all the kinds of challenge modes.

Troo idea #1

Infinite mode. One thing we don't have is infinite enemies.

Troo idea #2

Boss mode. Same is above but with a progression of final bosses, heroes, and arch villains.

Troo idea #3

Leader boards.

Troo idea #4

Leader board mode. Similar to boss mode but this time, we take on copies of the characters on top of the current leader boards.

What other ideas are out there?

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There actually were leaderboards, back in the day.  The Kisoks around Paragon City had such stats as All-Time/Weekly/Daily Defeats per Enemy Group.  Been a long while . . . what's the ParagonWiki have to say about the good ol' kiosks of yesterdecade:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Kiosk_(Slash_Command)

... wow.  Is that really it?  Maybe my Search-Fu is just weak.  There's gotta be something else . . . 

Or not?  Everything else I can find on the Wiki is just about the Gladiators and the Arena Kiosk.  Did the info kiosks have a different name that I'm just not remembering?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

There actually were leaderboards, back in the day.  The Kisoks around Paragon City had such stats as All-Time/Weekly/Daily Defeats per Enemy Group.  Been a long while . . . what's the ParagonWiki have to say about the good ol' kiosks of yesterdecade:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Kiosk_(Slash_Command)

... wow.  Is that really it?  Maybe my Search-Fu is just weak.  There's gotta be something else . . . 

Or not?  Everything else I can find on the Wiki is just about the Gladiators and the Arena Kiosk.  Did the info kiosks have a different name that I'm just not remembering?  

yeah thats it, it never got fully to the stage it was advertised to be, and spent most of the games run pretty badly broken

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

So leader board might be possible. And we already fight player-character-copies in a popular task force.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

22 hours ago, Troo said:

I'm just wondering if there are additional ways we could challenge our characters or teams.

Pillar of Ice and Flame ... do Flashbacks and enable the challenge modes.

No enhancements to powers

No Inspiration use

Empowered enemies

The options are there.

Go use them.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

5 hours ago, Redlynne said:

The options are there.

Go use them.

Yep yep. I gave a nod to these and I do use them. I was just wonder if anyone had any ideas on other interesting challenge modes.

4 hours ago, Menelruin said:

BOSS RUSH MODE!

And/or maybe a mode where all minions are replaced with Bosses?  Turn every skul gravedigger into a gargantuan warwork?

meh, half measures, the REAL challenge mode

Replace every Minion, LT and Boss with a GM

Mwahahaha

etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

51 minutes ago, Troo said:

yes with lots of options.

image.png.a084c23ace29ea38020d9621cc781052.png

Then I would propose adding more options to this, maybe stuff like;

- Players do not have natural regeneration (except Rest or with buffs)

- Enemies are all promoted (minions to lieutenants, lieutenants to bosses, etc)

- Incarnate powers are disabled.

- Enemy mez magnitude is higher.

- Friendly fire is enabled.

• Like 1

@VileTerror the three stooges picture that popped into my head: teammates suddenly whacking each other and not knowing why.

@Tyrannical "Friendly fire is enabled." That would definately make AoE, cones, and PBAoE very interesting.

Edited by Troo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Do these settings actually increase rewards?

There are some badges. I don't believe there are any increases.

2 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I think this is part of the issue right here. What incentive is there to run these hard modes if running the easier stuff is just as if not more lucrative?

I guess if depends on whether the problem we're trying to solve is 'people want more challenging content because more challenge is fun' or 'people want more challenging content because they want better rewards and that's traditionally the only way to get rewards buffed'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!