Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

Devs need to put on some Base build contests like there are costume contests.

why do the devs need to do that?  the majority of costume contents aren't run by the devs either (and by devs you actually mean GM's)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

1 minute ago, Riverdusk said:

Guess "need" came across stronger than I meant.  Just a suggestion.

it was more, why do the HC admin staff need to do it? the vast majority of costume contents are player run, and there is no reason a player group couldn't  run a base costume

sorry if I sounded aggressive I was much more curious why you thought the staff needed to do it than anything else

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

it was more, why do the HC admin staff need to do it? the vast majority of costume contents are player run, and there is no reason a player group couldn't  run a base costume

sorry if I sounded aggressive I was much more curious why you thought the staff needed to do it than anything else

Fair enough and players certainly could.  However, more "official" costume contests have been run and they are the only ones that can give out special titles and such as prizes.  They could also better highlight the winners that we could then check out and "tour".

Anyways, didn't mean to threadjack.  I can go ahead and post it in the suggestion forum.

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Fair enough and players certainly could.  However, more "official" costume contests have been run and they are the only ones that can give out special titles and such as prizes.  They could also better highlight the winners that we could then check out and "tour".

all of those things can be done equally as well by players, and certainly player run costume contests have had titles as prizes (much easier to get a GM to spend a few minutes awarding a title than organising a contest) but probably the biggest suggestion I'd make, the GM's are more likely to do something like this if it becomes a thing already, thats pretty much what happened with the GM costume contests...

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

10 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

That's..... totally not what I said.  Your post is contradictory.  You are on one hand saying let people play as they like while at the same time saying people should not use global chat channels to advertise. 

Absolutely.

So is being against real world $$ or pay to win scenarios while saying let people do as they like. At some point, most folks recognize a line.

The topic WAS about charging for power leveling.

My opinion = It's not cool and could lead to other issues if done in global channels. Do I care if someone makes a deal on the side, no.

Your opinion = "If someone has the in-game financial means and feels the service they are receiving is worth the price they are paying, then there is no exploitation whatsoever." .."so I do not see the perceived problem here."  (I feel the same, if done privately (I wouldn't do it though))

The more folks see it in game the more it becomes the norm. There is a logical evolution which is potentially undesirable.

I'm okay with putting an opinion out there while still being open to other opinions or better ideas.

Thanks for the reply. -Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

29 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

Halloween references are actually harder than Charlie Brown ones 😄

Its more of an inverted Nightmare before Xmas type deal. 

Linus thinks his version of Santa Claus comes on Halloween.  

The depraved ramblings of a 5 year old kid who carries a blanket. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Its more of an inverted Nightmare before Xmas type deal. 

Linus thinks his version of Santa Claus comes on Halloween.  

The depraved ramblings of a 5 year old kid who carries a blanket. 

even though Peanuts were in the funny pages here, they tended to skip the holiday specific strips that people wouldn't get

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I just love that so many people have such a need to control how other people play a video game that they need to come onto a public forum and tell the rest of the world they are playing a game wrong.

Not.

Why do so many people that play this game think they have to control the other players actions?

It really is baffling to me, does this game just attract control-freaks or something?

After all these years and we still have these people playing the game with the idea there is a wrong way and right way.

It really is sad and deeply troubling to me that so many gamers here want to tell other how to spend their free time.

Just play the game the way you like, let other play the game they way they like, done.

Sheesh. 

• Like 1

The OP presented a topic. There is irony in telling folks how to post or think while stating "deeply troubling to me that so many gamers here want to tell other how to spend their free time".😃

I'm not sure how Charlie Brown got sucked into it, good grief.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

56 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I just love that so many people have such a need to control how other people play a video game that they need to come onto a public forum and tell the rest of the world they are playing a game wrong.

Not.

Why do so many people that play this game think they have to control the other players actions?

It really is baffling to me, does this game just attract control-freaks or something?

After all these years and we still have these people playing the game with the idea there is a wrong way and right way.

It really is sad and deeply troubling to me that so many gamers here want to tell other how to spend their free time.

Just play the game the way you like, let other play the game they way they like, done.

Sheesh. 

You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of the English language.  Queenie asked for OPINIONS on the act of charging inf for powerleveling services.  This is the GENERAL DISCUSSION board.  There is no valid manner in which you can assume that people stating an opinion when asked in general discussion is in any way whatsoever 'telling people how to play'.  

In your usual self-righteous indignation, you have confused this not only with the SUGGESTIONS board but with a rules and conduct thread, which it is not. 

To come here to a general discussion board and a thread discussing opinions to TELL everyone how to "Just play the game the way you like, let other play the game they way they like, done.

Sheesh. "

is sanctimonious and hypocritical at best.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jubakumbi said:

Most of the thread is

1.  Opinion of the moral issues of PL and charging
  2. Personal feelings, if it irritates them they ignore people and PL for free anyway.
  3. Charlie Brown jokes.

Not a lot of talk for it shouldn't be done or controlled, just peoples opinions and thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

10 hours ago, Troo said:

Absolutely.

So is being against real world $$ or pay to win scenarios while saying let people do as they like. At some point, most folks recognize a line.

The topic WAS about charging for power leveling.

My opinion = It's not cool and could lead to other issues if done in global channels. Do I care if someone makes a deal on the side, no.

Your opinion = "If someone has the in-game financial means and feels the service they are receiving is worth the price they are paying, then there is no exploitation whatsoever." .."so I do not see the perceived problem here."  (I feel the same, if done privately (I wouldn't do it though))

The more folks see it in game the more it becomes the norm. There is a logical evolution which is potentially undesirable.

I'm okay with putting an opinion out there while still being open to other opinions or better ideas.

Thanks for the reply. -Troo

This does not really make much sense at all.   Again, you are contradicting yourself.  On one hand, you are saying you are ok with people charging for powerlevelling, but it is not ok because they should "do it in private" as if this is some sort of illegal, seedy activity that needs to be relegated to the shadows.  If there is nothing wrong with it, then there is simply no reason to relegate it to "private channels".  Most every person I see advertising for a farm already have multiple level 50s or are just looking to take a break for a level or two from the grind.  I personally see no harm in that whatsoever.  Again, if people have the in  game currency to pay for a service they feel is worth the funds they are spending, then there is nothing wrong with that. 

The Homecoming people have already implemented their policy on RMT and enforced it, so I cannot see how there is any "logical evolution" that people are going to start charging real money for powerlevelling.  If they do, they do it at their own peril and will have to deal with the consequences when their account gets banned.

I stated my opinion, which is that I think it's a bit naughty, but I never called for a ban hammer to descend on anyone for doing it. I also stated that people play the game how they want to play it.  If someone else has a different opinion to me then I'm not going to start moaning and complaining, we all react differently to things and what sets one person off into a blind rage barely raises an eyebrow for someone else. I still feel it's wrong if it's taking advantage of newbies but if an experienced player with inf to spare wants to pay someone to level their alt then they are perfectly entitled to do it.

• Like 1

@ShardWarrior I did make long posts. That's on me.

I am not okay with charging for power leveling. It should be treated the same as a real money transfer.

@jubakumbi

You seem to forget that this is an MMO. You playing the way you want to play (IE; knocking back and scattering mobs which makes your team mate's AoE's useless, running off by yourself and leaving team mates high and dry in order to go do your own thing, interfering with zone events like Rikti War Zone and even taking it as far as getting a player banned who complained to you about interfering with the event, just to name a few of the things you say you have done and championed.) may and do have a negative impact on other people's game play. That should be clear to you when the things that you have done have garnered much grief from players which whom you have grieved. You have championed this behavior several times and anytime somebody has brought this to your attention, you simply reply with, "Then they should adapt."

This is an MMO, where we *all* must adapt to each other to get along and have fun together. Sadly, in your way of thinking, you should not have to adapt to anyone, rather everyone must adapt to you, while you sit and claim the opposite.

It's the same thing here with this thread. Clearly people advertising for paid powerlevels are negatively affecting players, or this thread would not be here. If begging for power levels and charging players for power levels had zero negative impact on players, this thread would not exist. Remember, this is an MMO, where your actions do not only affect you, they affect the community whether they have positive or negative consequences. This is true with any community based RPG, hence the title of MMO.

However, even knowing this, the OP still did not tell people how to play, he simply wanted opinions on how the playerbase feels about said practices and how it may have affected them. So I think we can put the pom-poms down and save the good fight for another day...there will be many more opportunities to champion your point of view when you see players trying to control another player and how they play.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Troo said:

@ShardWarrior I did make long posts. That's on me.

I am not okay with charging for power leveling. It should be treated the same as a real money transfer.

Fair enough and that is perfectly fine.  I do not understand that position or agree with it, but I will not begrudge you.

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Clearly people advertising for paid powerlevels are negatively affecting players

I am curious as to why.  Is it some form of envy or something that others have the means to pay for the service?  Is it the false assumption that people who have their toon levelled "untraditionally" do not know how to play?   At least to me, having the XP boosters and DFB, DiB and the like are powerleveling as well.  We can skip more than half the game in a matter of minutes with these.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

You seem to forget that this is an MMO. You playing the way you want to play (IE; knocking back and scattering mobs which makes your team mate's AoE's useless, running off by yourself and leaving team mates high and dry in order to go do your own thing, interfering with zone events like Rikti War Zone and even taking it as far as getting a player banned who complained to you about interfering with the event, just to name a few of the things you say you have done and championed.) may and do have a negative impact on other people's game play. That should be clear to you when the things that you have done have garnered much grief from players which whom you have grieved. You have championed this behavior several times and anytime somebody has brought this to your attention, you simply reply with, "Then they should adapt."

To be fair, you are just as guilty of the same things you are berating @jubakumbifor here.  You have also been very vocal in telling others what you perceive as the "correct" way to team, take instructions or use or not use knockback.  That can be considered "griefing" just as much as anything else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I am curious as to why.  Is it some form of envy or something that others have the means to pay for the service? 

No sir, not the reason at all. In fact, how much cash somebody else has is insignificant to me since I have a stock pile of my own cash. I also farm, I just will not PL players who I have caught begging for PLs on LFG...and honestly, it's pretty rare when I offer to PL players outside of my own SG, with members I have known for years in some cases.

Is it the false assumption that people who have their toon levelled "untraditionally" do not know how to play?

Actually, my personal experience has driven me to believe this is not a false assumption. My personal experience tells me that this is indeed a negative impact of power leveling. Obviously not all players who get power leveled are players who do not know how to play, but when I see a power leveled 50 with almost no badges, ask me how to get to Striga Island or Independence Port...that is a bad sign. When I see them play in a way that just screams, "I have no clue what I am doing or have any idea what my powers actually do" such as, Heals breaking sleeps, or being unaware that their Howling Twilight grants a huge -regen (-500%) debuff and is useful in more ways than just reviving fallen heroes, or that they are asking me if I have any monies because they power leveled to 50 and have none... that poses a huge problem. When I see this power leveled 50 jumping around all over a map, or has no clue to use their map and are asking where we are in the building we are in, that poses a problem.

In my opinion, these are not false assumptions.

At least to me, having the XP boosters and DFB, DiB and the like are powerleveling as well.  We can skip more than half the game in a matter of minutes with these.

This I agree with completely and wouldn't even argue against this. However, with this form of power leveling, players are still playing their characters and learning the ropes as they go.

4 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

To be fair, you are just as guilty of the same things you are berating @jubakumbifor here.  You have also been very vocal in telling others what you perceive as the "correct" way to team, take instructions or use or not use knockback.  That can be considered "griefing" just as much as anything else.

No sir, you and jubakumbi have put a lot of words in my mouth over the course of the past few months and have blown what I said way out of proportion. I simply got tired of trying to explain it and let you believe whatever you wanted to believe.  I don't go around bossing around anyone. If I don't like how their play style mixes with mine, I simply put a 1 star above their heads and avoid them in the future. I might make a suggestion and explain why, but it's up to them if they want to listen, if not...no biggie, that will be the last time our two conflicting playstyles play together. Also, I don't go against the grain of how a team is playing. If the whole team is knocking back, then I don't say a damn word...I would be the one griefing if I demanded they play my way. I simply quietly bow out after that mission ends and move on. However, I have clearly stated that if a player joins MY team, and they are going against the grain of how MY team is playing, and after being asked nicely to not knock mobs and scatter them, they refuse...I remove them from the team. Huge difference from what jubakumbi does. Sorry, how I play is griefing nobody at all.