Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

1 minute ago, ShardWarrior said:

It is very possible to level to 50 without ever setting foot in Striga Isle. 

And it is of my opinion that if they have never set foot in Striga or worse, Independence Port, then they have no business power leveling. And since I don't make it a habit to tell others how to play, I chose instead to simply either ignore such player or add a 1 star above their heads so I can avoid them.

21 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

And it is of my opinion that if they have never set foot in Striga or worse, Independence Port, then they have no business power leveling. And since I don't make it a habit to tell others how to play, I chose instead to simply either ignore such player or add a 1 star above their heads so I can avoid them.

Aren't you assuming they may have started hero side to even know where IP is?

3 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Aren't you assuming they may have started hero side to even know where IP is?

It is within my right to not risk it. Besides, I have used way more examples than just that one you are quoting. Sorry, man...but you won't be changing my mind.

46 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

next you'll be saying people play Gold!!

Now don't be silly 😛

Here is the thing - players who were not powerlevelled by someone else can be just as inexperienced, if not moreso.  It all depends on the individual.  Not everyone in game is a veteran and just like many others, they do not know everything their first or even second or fifth time around.  I certainly did not know what was the best build or what powers worked better than others my first time through.  I still do not know it all. 

Second, this game is just not that hard or complex to figure out.  It is not WoW with tiered raiding systems that require certain gear or team makeup in order to run the content.

Lastly, running into some new player who never played the game at all and got powerlevelled to 50 the first time they logged in is so rare, to claim it is commonplace is a stretch.

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

next you'll be saying people play Gold!!

😄

Gold has the best low level content if you don't mind solo.

But its been possible to avoid IP for a long long time.  Let alone Striga.  No power leveling needed.

Old(ish) days.  Sewer team then KR radios.  Then SC Radios.  Then Talos Radios.  Then Bricks Radios.  Then FF Radios.  Then PI radios.  

Now ..  DFB then DIB then PI radios. 

Sometimes I'll offer 25 million a run just to doorsit while I do other things, on the market a person can make that much profit during a poop break. It's a drop in the bucket. So if someone wanted 25 million from 1-50 would I pay? Sure if I happened to have a new character and nothing else I wanted to do when I saw the broadcast.

On the other hand, I don't charge for people to sit on my farm runs because then I'll feel obligated to finish or be efficient or something like that. If I let someone sit in for no charge, I'll go at whatever pace I feel like and perhaps not even finish the run since I do the large Freak farm map.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 2:55 AM, Queen Nefertiti said:

Recently I've noticed a trend on a couple of the servers for people advertising their services to PL an alt from level 1 to 50 for the "bargain" price of between 20 and 30 million inf. I was wondering what other people thought about the whole situation. The people running the fire farm and charging for the PL defend their actions by saying that at the end the toon will have plenty of inf, especially if they had a purple recipe drop.

I think time is money and you shouldn't begrudge people for not giving you their time for free.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Gold has the best low level content if you don't mind solo.

But its been possible to avoid IP for a long long time.  Let alone Striga.  No power leveling needed.

Old(ish) days.  Sewer team then KR radios.  Then SC Radios.  Then Talos Radios.  Then Bricks Radios.  Then FF Radios.  Then PI radios.  

Now ..  DFB then DIB then PI radios. 

I would just assume that players who don't know how to get to IP pay little attention to their surroundings, because it's on all of the trams heroside, on the sub used to go between red and blue zones, and on the Ouroboros portal.

I might roll my eyes and not expect much out of them before I tell them how to get there, but I wouldn't be dropping the team or kicking them unless they're doing something actively counterproductive instead of just being inattentive and ignorant.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:55 AM, Queen Nefertiti said:

Recently I've noticed a trend on a couple of the servers for people advertising their services to PL an alt from level 1 to 50 for the "bargain" price of between 20 and 30 million inf. I was wondering what other people thought about the whole situation. The people running the fire farm and charging for the PL defend their actions by saying that at the end the toon will have plenty of inf, especially if they had a purple recipe drop.

Now I often do fire farming to get inf for my own toons. I have Pink Pussycat and Blue Barracuda who's sole purpose in life is to fire farm. I often throw it open to anyone in Atlas who wants to door sit and I never charge, I just like the company. It seems a number of other fire farmers feel the same way, and recently I've seen a number saying they are running a free fire farm if anyone wants to jump on board.

The reason I find it so concerning is that to me, it seems a lot of the level 1 to 50 PL'd toons are new players caught in the idea that the game starts at level 50 and when they do ding up, have no idea on how to play the game or slot their alts. If they are losing tens of millions of inf to some farmer they haven't got the inf to even slot their alt properly. 20 million inf will slot a level 50 with IO's and a few decent sets with change to spare. If it's a new player then they don't know any of the mechanics such as Auction house, rule of three for enhancements, team dynamics or any of those things we all find out as we level our first toon. As an experiment I PL'd a toon of my own to level 50. After 5 runs of Twisted Visages cityscape fire farm he hit 50 and selling everything sellable on the  Auction House and one purple recipe drop he only came out with 27 million inf. Now I did have double XP running so there was no enemy inf dropping, but I doubt if a PL seller would let anyone do it NOT double XP'd, that would take too long. Even charging 20 mil for the run it would leave the alt pretty low on inf to slot properly. 30 mil would leave me in negative.

I've seen the argument that if someone didn't want to be charged they should make their own fire farmer and dual box their alts themselves. It's a good argument, but not every system likes or is capable of running more than one instance of the game. My desktop will happily run two games for dual boxing, my laptop won't. We all play the game the way we want to play, and that is fine. From my own personal perspective though, charging new players for something they can get free from someone else is a bit naughty.

On chat last night there was a bit of an argument going on and the person charging defended their actions with the argument that it was their time they were charging for, and if people didn't want to short cut to 50 they didn't have to. I get the argument, I really do, but as another player pointed out, if you have a fire farmer and need 30 million inf that badly you are doing something wrong.

What’s this “defend” nonsense?  You own this game or something?

People can do whatever they want to do.  It’s a sandbox.  Someone wants to PL someone else for free, have at it.  Someone else wants to be compensated for their time to PL others?  Fine, let it be.

Technically, any time you join a higher level team you are PL’ing yourself.  That’s how this game has always been.  AE just allows it to be optimized.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

It is very possible to level to 50 without ever setting foot in Striga Isle. 

Something that would happen to me frequently if I didn’t have an SG mate obsessed with the Taskforces in that zone.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

What’s this “defend” nonsense?  You own this game or something?

People can do whatever they want to do.  It’s a sandbox.  Someone wants to PL someone else for free, have at it.  Someone else wants to be compensated for their time to PL others?  Fine, let it be.

Technically, any time you join a higher level team you are PL’ing yourself.  That’s how this game has always been.  AE just allows it to be optimized.

Did you read what I wrote? I didn't say they had to defend anything. what I said was, when people started popping up on chat advertising their PL fire farm services for tens of millions of inf several people made  their displeasure known. I used the word "defend" to describe the response, but I could have used others like "justify".

Of course people can do what they want to do, it has always been like that. And a team leader is perfectly entitled to run their team the way they want to run it and kick anyone who doesn't fit their playstyle. Just as a player is free to quit a team if they don't like the way it's run. I stated my opinion, as have many others on this thread. I have never once said those players who offer paid services should be sanctioned, just that my own personal opinion is that I think it's sometimes a bit naughty. If you want to hang around Atlas and grab new players who have never logged on before and charge them for taking them to 50 asap then don't expect much sympathy from me when the chat starts moaning about you. If it's a player with a few alts under their belt and more inf than they can spend who wants to recreate their main from live but doesn't want to go through the grind to get them to the point they were at when the servers shut down and wants to pay someone for their time, then have at it. To me it's a matter of degree. New players are often under the impression that MMORPG's only start being fun when you hit the level cap, so seek a quick way of reaching that cap. WoW has a lot to answer for in that respect. CoX is surprisingly different in that it is fun all the way through and there really isn't all that much to do once you reach 50. You can get all your incarnates to tier 4 pretty quickly, and then it's a matter of repeating the same arcs over and over or dipping in to ouroboros to find something you haven't done before.

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, 25-30 million is actually pretty cheap for a 1-50. You're looking at some serious time investment even in pure farming runs, that's at least one well organized Dr Qs worth of time (2hrs 30 minutes is my only record :D) if not more depending on the speed of the farming. Whatever people want to do, as long as its not forced on them, is fine.

• Like 2

In my opinion, posting an opinion on something looking for other opinions to validate your opinion is a passive-aggressive call to arms.

I did not call out the OP anyway, TBH, my comment was really directed at the people that think it's OK to get bent out of shape over the crime against humanity it seems to be to not 'know how to play your character the way I like' when they have been power leveled.

There are plenty of people that think because I want to talk about motives and reasons that somehow I am being dramatical or extreme.

So what?

These kinds of topics, obviously trying to somehow make a certain set of players 'bad' because of passive aggressive 'opinions', all just sound like children screaming at each other on an elementary school playground to me anyway, I do enjoy watching them get worked up, schadenfreude is real.

I understand the english language just fine, thanks.

I understand from the very posts they have made, multiple posters in this thread are judgemental jerks.

I understand from playing this game in this community that some people feel they have to control every single pixel on the screen during their playtime or 'someone in doing it wrong', regardless of if they call out playing in the game at that time - they will just do it here on the forums to justify their outlook.

My opinion is that if these types of things bother you, then you are the problem.

Hope that clears things up!

Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

I actively avoid Striga and IP unless a contact sends me there for a mission. Also Hollows and Perez.

See.. I love Striga, I'd have to say it's my favourite zone out of all of them. Nice variety of mobs to fight, Mrs. Peebles is a delightful lady, and really... who doesn't like fighting in a volcano? Besides, it has a lot of sentimental RP value for me.

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

17 hours ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

I actively avoid Striga and IP unless a contact sends me there for a mission. Also Hollows and Perez.

You avoid the Hollows? That's sacrilege! You and I cannot be friends...

• Haha 1

Server Indomitable.

Farming toon is Blood Fury.

I don't promise to PL to lvl 50 but ALL my farm runs are free. And I do several a day.

Can't understand people charging for others to sit in on something they were going to be doing anyway.

Edited by Grimmly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

I see no issue with anyone charging inf if there are people willing to pay.

Has zero effect on me.

I offer free farms when I can though.

I honestly don't care either way, I just find it crazy anyone would pay to get P/L when it's so easy to get P/L without paying

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

20 hours ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

If you want to hang around Atlas and grab new players who have never logged on before and charge them for taking them to 50 asap then don't expect much sympathy from me when the chat starts moaning about you.

How is a "new player who has never logged on before" going to afford the PL price?  No offense meant to you personally, just comments like this do not make any sense.

• Like 1