Titan Weapon/Bio Armour Guide

Jaegernault

• 1 year later
6 hours ago, Lafoote said:

Question: Would putting Gaussian's in Tactics rather than Build Momentum increase it's overall uptime?

Depends on whether you team or solo and if you team with masterminds.

So build momentum has a 90 second recharge time, it will cap the proc rate of Gaussian's at 90% even with significant local recharge.  If you have 200% total recharge (180% global for permahasten + 20% local), it will recharge every 30 seconds and you can potentially have a 90% chance of Gaussian's every 30 seconds.

If you run it in tactics, I'm not doing the math from my phone, but I expect it's around a 10% chance per target (maybe somewhat less -- the floor for proc rate depends on ppm).  It has a chance to proc every 10 seconds.  If you're the only target, you expect roughly a 30% of a proc every 30 seconds, so 1/3rd of the uptime of build momentum.

If you're teaming with seven other people, and they're all in range of tactics, then things look a lot better, each ten second round has something like a 50% chance of firing the proc, expected uptime in 30 seconds is 1.5 proc firings.  Even more if there are more than 8 targets for your tactics, with maximum uptime approaching 3 proc firings every 30 seconds if you have a huge number of allies around you.

Gaussian would proc in tactics sure, and on a full team maybe a lot. BUT its an alpha strike tool. You want to choose when it will proc and be able to take advantage of it. TW is slow, you will get 2-3 attacks total from it if momentum is in effect. Buildup is up every 15 seconds on this completed build when in combat. It will almost always proc when solo. 

This build was taking out all but the strongest enemy, without any outside tools. Reichman required envenomed daggers due to his excessive health pool, Romulus is faster with them but you can take him down all the same. The build was made to work like that solo, in a team you can move faster and go from Boss/EB to boss/EB constantly, taking the alpha strikes like a pro tank. 

NOTE: Hamidon attacks bypass absorbtion, rendering BIO very weak. its not the builds failure, its just the mechanic and the way he is coded to attack players, going right for your health. 

4 hours ago, Jaegernault said:

Buildup is up every 15 seconds on this completed build when in combat. It will almost always proc when solo.

FYI the recharge cap is 1/5 if a powers base rech so the absolute minimum recharge you can get build up to is 18 seconds...

Most builds as well won't complete capped rech if they're going for defense as well (like you should with bio) so even with perma rech proc you're looking at more like 21s.

1 hour ago, WindDemon21 said:

FYI the recharge cap is 1/5 if a powers base rech so the absolute minimum recharge you can get build up to is 18 seconds...

Most builds as well won't complete capped rech if they're going for defense as well (like you should with bio) so even with perma rech proc you're looking at more like 21s.

Firstly, starting a post with FYI is a little rude. I wrote this post years ago, I assumed it was dead, it was resurrected yesterday and in the interested of helping someone i dug out my login to reply. I didnt sit there with a stop watch timing the encounters. When Im in combat, I NEVER am in a position waiting for buildup. Ill run into the mob, use the T9 secondary to create my absorb shield, target the biggest guy there, bit buildup, then with momentum, do my AOE, 2 Single targets and usually end with an AOE before buildup ends. Every minion is dead, most lieutenants are dead, and the first boss is dead, with the second one critically low. Thats not Mids, or speculation, thats playing the game and physically watching them go poof. Now with the hostility out the way, 

Now, there is no "should" in CoH. Bio isnt a defense build and claiming it is either shows your very specific with what you choose to fight or just dont understand the basic mechanics. Its a hybrid with its unique selling point being Absorb Shield. It relies 100% on recharge bonus as if you can refresh your absorb shield constantly, your actual health is never touched. My main is vet 300+ something despite not being played in almost a year and he hasn't even got the first damage badge as his health pool is never touched in most fights even at +4*8 solo.

Saying Bio is a Defense build is like saying Regen is a resistance build. Resistance is very handy but it aint gonna be your primary go to.

I say its not a defense build for the following flaw. Little to no defense resistance, this leaves it vulnerable to cascade defense failure, this is especially apparent against Council and on an ITF. 

What bio does have in its toolbox right off the bat is 2 very powerful absorb shields, basic defense, decent s/l resistance and some potential for crowd control. With a little work you can cap s/l resistance so most enemy cant 1 shot you if they get a lucky shot. 

Think of defense like this, the enemy attacks and has a 1/10 chance to hit on strike 1. On strike 2, his chance is the same, same with 3, 4, 5.. etc. Now it you have 10 of them all taking shots, each one is still that 1/10 chance. while each role is exclusive, the odds quickly fall. Your goal is to keep the number of hits they swing to an ABSOLUTE minimum if your not sporting Defense Resistance. 

Now here is something people tend to forget.. Defense is the ability to not be hit. For you not to take a hit, they either miss you or dont fire. We can easily hit 55% defense to everything with no specific defense build in mind. But 2-3 lucky hits and ur in low 30's at best. So we rely on the other version of defense. This being, KD. If they are on their asses they arnt able to attack. The animation for falling over and getting up is a good second or 2 at least. Your PBAoE is Knockdown.

So think of this as a rough play through, you run in, fire your absorb shield, you now have a huge shield. You hit buildup, and PBAoE the mob. most of them are hit and immediately fall down. You whack the biggest guys twice before they even stand up, first one is dead, you end the combo with a second PBAoE and repeat on any remaining bosses without necessarily using buildup. each PBAoE is 100% defence to everything knocked over. Thats not a diminishing returns result, thats FACT. They cant shoot you. This simply mechanic allows you to become untouchable to most enemy as very few have sufficient KB protection. 

There have been many updates to CoH, and a few attempts to nerf TW/BIO under the guise of its too OP. But every set is OP if used in a way that suits the players style. When I wrote this guide TW/Bio wasn't a common build. Even now, on the odd occasion I play, I dont see many. Yet I barely feel any difference to mine's performance even with so called nerfs to it.

Its the same with every game, This guide was simply showing a way to exploit TW/Bio using my playstyle. others who play like or similar to me will find it useful, but its also to give inspiration for altering it to suit others styles. I cant pick up a blasters build from another player and immediately perform as well as them. Its all about adaptation.

If this guide inspires someone to look at Bio and in the future when new gear appears think "hey, maybe this would work better in there now" that optimal. I was playing CoH when Rogue islands was a pipe dream. I dont expect this guide to be an APEX build for current meta, and would find it hilarious if no one had made improvements in all these years!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Build Up on my tw/bio recharges in about 10s. I also have it setup to guarantee the -res proc for Achilles and fury every time. I also figured out how to make them stack as opposed to refresh. I do 40s times without pets. Also, this is complete BS. 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, Jaegernault said:

I dont expect this guide to be an APEX build for current meta, and would find it hilarious if no one had made improvements in all these years!

Actually I don't think anyone has posted a better all-around build.  Some people have better attack chains, etc., but afaik I've not seen a better all-around build.  Maybe the resurrection of this post will lead some ppl to chip in.

• 2 months later

This is my next project.

If anybody has any advice for the first 20 levels or so... i.e. what to pick as you level as opposed to a finished IO masterpiece, I would love it!

The character will be an antique brass wind up toy soldier, being guided/possessed by the dreams of a 6 year old German boy in a coma in a hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta love a good back story! 

TW has devastating recharge and animation times, titan sweep is an early game must for killing enemy until you have a full attach chain with recharge reduction.

Bio is just take it when needed. Hasten early will help but don’t rush it if you don’t feel safe doing so.

When it comes to missions, remember your mainly AoE so I’ll get more exp fighting enemy at -1 but on *8. Once your at 23, make it 0*8 and upgrade the rep as you feel secure. 

in combat, especially early on, herd them so your cones cap the target limit and use inspirations to bolster your defence. This is temporary as in later levels you will have powers to do this, but the inspirations help levelling.

im currently on holiday in excelsior server so feel free to join me if you see me on, character is Jaegernault. I tend to just fly through missions at +4*8 with anyone who wants a team, since it’s more fun then killing everything solo!

Edited by Jaegernault
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:51 AM, Hew said:

Or, you try a different attack chain. Perish the thought!

To be fair, there's plenty of "Oh no!  Not that chain!" even if it works well.  Like using Eviscerate 🙂