Star Trek

2 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

France Nuyen is of Vietnamese ancestry.  Kirk kissed a lot of women who were not white.

Yeah, I'm not saying otherwise on this point from two months ago - but next time, lead with that example!

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

1 hour ago, Dreamboat said:

Yeah, I'm not saying otherwise on this point from two months ago - but next time, lead with that example!

Those were probably after the Uhura kiss though?

The Uhura thing was supposed to be a thing that worried the execs? 

But these are good points.

21 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Elaan of Troyus was not.

Okay.  I looked it up.  

"Plato's Stepchildren" was season 3 episode 10 Nov 1968

"Elaan of Troyus" was season 3 episode 13"  Dec 1968.

So the Uhura kiss came first.  

Also the historical resistance to interracial relationships in the US was most focused against White and Black people dating.  

I don't know why this came back up.  I certainly don't have a problem with interracial kissing. 

The execs were worried that people would have issues with it based on attitudes at the time.

Star Trek has been commended for making this step.  

People were fine with Kirk kissing white Aliens during the first 2 seasons.   

By the 3rd season viewership was evidently way down.  So that also may have been a factor somewhere.  

Edited by Haijinx

My suggestion was more along these lines.

Execs and audiences were totally fine with Kirk kissing aliens, as long as the were white aliens.  

Then there was the Uhura kiss which raised concerns.

I do not know if the Elan of Troyus kiss also raised any similar concerns  since that one is never brought up. 

Unlike some of the white aliens Kirk is never implied to have had sex with Uhura.   

Heck the kiss is coerced even.

The hilarious thing is that originally it was supposed to be Spock kissing Uhura ... and then William Shatner was all HELL NO on that one and got the script changed so that it was Kirk kissing Uhura (and then he started pestering Nichelle Nicols about wanting to "rehearse" for the scene).

Then when it came time to actually film it, they had to do lots of takes for coverage in case they needed to air a different version of the scene in the southern market (because racism was and still is a big factor in The South of America, even today) so as to protect the network execs.  So Shatner and Nicols did all their takes and it wasn't until everything got to the editing bay (when it was too late for retakes) that the director found out that Shatner had deliberately screwed up ALL of the takes except for the one that aired, so as to force the issue and make them air the kiss.

Nichelle Nicols talks about it from her perspective in a youtube clip that is well worth your time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

20 hours ago, Redlynne said:

If you think that's a good story ... have a look at what happened to Nichelle Nicols when she tried to quit Star Trek to get back to her musical theater career.

To put it mildly, like she does ... It Was FATE that intervened.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 7 months later