Star Trek

I love TOS, TNG,  and DS9 (I thought the concept was so anti-trek, at first.  A static space station.  No roaming ship, seeking out and exploring new worlds.  Strangely, it quickly won me over with it's wonderful characters and storylines and mix of pathos and action.  It's now my favorite of the treks).  Voyager was a strange one for me.  Overall, I didn't care for the storyline and series but I positively loved most of the characters.  Hated Enterprise, at first (especially that abominable theme song) but then warmed to it later.

I haven't seen Discovery, so I can't comment.  I have seen the new klingons, which look positively idiotic to me.  I'm unable to even think of them as klingon.  Maybe that will change, if I actually watch the show.  I haven't seen that new trek cartoon either.  The concept sounds a bit ridiculous, to me, but I'll probably give it a chance some day.

There's so much good television these days, though, who has time to watch it all?  

DS9, Season 1, Episode 19 - Duet.

This is when I fell completely in love with the show.  This episode.

Summary follows:

Spoiler

A Cardassian arrives on the station, seeking treatment for a rare illness.  When Kira learns of the illness, she has him arrested and proceeds to question him about how he acquired it, eventually outright accusing him of being the Butcher of Gallitep, a Cardassian war criminal who was responsible for hundreds of Bajoran deaths.  As the episode progresses, new information comes to light, and he is discovered to be a simple clerk... a man who wept at the screams of the Bajorans as they were worked and beaten to death, and who adopted the identity of the war criminal in order to be executed by Bajor, so Bajorans could move on and Cardassia would have to admit that it was responsible for atrocities.

Kira decides to release him, and even befriends him.  As she's walking with him to his departure point, another Bajoran murders him.  Kira, horrified, looks up and demands, "Why?!"

"He's a Cardassian," the killer sneers.  "That's reason enough."

"No it isn't!", Kira snaps.

And the look on Kira's face just after she spoke those words... shock at having defended a Cardassian; realization that even "the enemy" are people, and all people aren't alike; loss and grief...

All of that in that one scene, that one look.

I was hooked at that moment.  The acting, the character development, the intensity of the stories... DS9 did everything right.  It didn't always have great writing, amazing acting, perfect stories, but it was always better than anything else that was on.

And no, it wasn't Roddenberry's Trek.  Roddenberry's Trek portrayed people as perfect most of the time, and as inspiring as it might have been, it's hard to see ourselves in those shoes.  We aren't perfect.  We aren't angels.  We can't relate easily to that.  DS9 showed people as they were, and as they wanted to be (Roddenberry's idealistic representation), without glossing over the flaws and character defects, and that made it accessible to everyone.  It made it relatable.  It was honest about people.  It acknowledged that people are flawed in so many ways, but it also showed that in trying to meet that ideal, in struggling with ourselves, with our demons, with others, and constantly trying to meet expectations we know we can't hope to achieve, that's when we become better people.  That's DS9.  That's what made it the best Trek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Honestly, most of the episodes revolving around the Cardassians were pretty solid.

Although, in the finale, the battlecry of the Cardassian freedom fighters did feel a extremely rushed in its delivery, and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

But then I remember all the good times, like when Garek's implant started to malfunction, or Dumar stopped drinking so much and decided to get his life sorted, or when Dukat absolutely lost his mind.

I am glad I have my two parental units ( @VileTerror and @Luminara ) here to reminisce and remind me of all the things I loved about all the Treks.

If it weren't almost January, I would watch through them all again.  January is spoken for.  February isnt long enough for ALL the Trek.  Gotta brainstorm this.

*wanders off thinking of all the spectacular actors who really brought those perfectly imperfect characters to life for her*

• Thanks 1

To me, DS9 jumped the shark when the Dominion War started up.  My favorite DS9 moment is still Sisko punching out Q.

I haven't seen Discovery yet, but I agree with Grindingsucks about the Klingons' new look. My only experience with that version so far is a few missions in Star Trek Online. As an alien race they look cool, but just not Klingon.

The show I disown is ENTERPRISE. Cannot be canon, unless its canon to NuTrek. Too many things in it contradict things that had already been established. Categorizing the entire series as Riker fanfic would not be out of the question.

Edited by BlackenBlue71

• 3 weeks later

For me its still fun to watch the old Space Seed episode then immediately watch Wrath of Khan.

For me Voyager was too much, Enterprise felt like a repair attempt. 

The Picard series, only think I liked was that it dealt with a certain character and gave them a better resolution then Nemesis.

The reboot movies: mainly just action movies with Trek characters in them. Though it was fun to see Spock cut loose and go after Khan.

25 alts with all the badges!

1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

Whenever anyone asks why I hated "Into Darkness," I ask them to re-watch it after watching these two.  Khan was my hero among villains.

Recreating and reversing the classic death scene was dumb, imo.   But Spock needed motivation to go after Khan.

Also I always smile at Nimoy's line "I took a vow to never give you information to change your destiny, it is your path to walk and yours alone. That being said..............."

Only Khan could make Spock reconsider non-interference.  

In the Shatner -verse novel The Return, Spock was going through Kirk's file of enemies to  and trying to compile a list of those with the means and motivation to wait for any return of Kirk that would steal his body from Veridian 3.   Ryker pointed at the list and said "Khan's dead"  Spock responded "I know." But didn't take him off the list.

• Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

On 1/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, TheOtherTed said:

Whenever anyone asks why I hated "Into Darkness," I ask them to re-watch it after watching these two.  Khan was my hero among villains.

I really struggled to like "Into Darkness" but ended up hating it.  So many points of issue, but one could have been corrected by adding a simple line:

white guy Khan:  "Admiral Marcus had me surgically altered and gave me a generic name so that no one with any knowledge of Earth history training would recognize me."  I mean, think about it:  if we have pictures of Gabriel Bell in the online textbooks (DS9), pictures of the rulers of half the planet would have been all over the future web.  I never met Napoleon, yet I know exactly what he looked like through numerous pieces of artwork.  Yet no mention is made of why Khan isn't recognized, nor why he went from Indian to British Caucasian.  One simple line.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, Apparition said:

ViacomCBS announced last month that there are two new Star Trek films in the works.  One of which will be written and directed by Noah Hawley, who is the creator of the Fargo and Legion television series.  It has been assumed that Noah Hawley's Star Trek film will be a continuation of the Kelvin Timeline from the prior three Star Trek films, but now it appears that it may be a second reboot of the franchise.

I certainly like Noah Hawley's take on Star Trek, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to a feature film in this day and age of the modern spectacle.  Nevertheless, I'm curious.

Okay, I'm confused.  I know Viacom split Trek ownership to both CBS and Paramount.  But I thought they had worked it out that Paramount would handle the movies and CBS would handle the TV shows.  Now ViacomCBS is making the movie announcement, but Hawley (in his statement the OP quoted) is in talks with Paramount?  Sorting these guys out is starting to give headaches.

Edited by Techwright

• 2 years later
19 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Whoa, I had go back over 2 years to find a Star Trek thread to necro. 

/AngryCat_necro-thread_rant  😉

I was a Trekkie once, until I took a Bat'leth to the knee.

Okay, more seriously, my current distaste for modern Star Trek is due to what I perceive to be a growing number of bad story and lore decisions that reflect a lack of genuine care for the source material or the fans.  It started as far back as several Voyager episodes, and though I stuck with the franchise through the Chris Pine era, and both Discovery seasons 1 & 2 and Picard season 1, I haven't felt inclined to waste further coin or time on what I perceive to be an unchanging situation.  I've not heard the reports of Strange New Worlds,  though having seen the initial trailer, it may be the only thing within Star Trek that interests me, and that is largely because Anson Mount is amazing as Pike, the one shining spot in Discovery season 2.

Please understand, I'm not one of those who seeks to gripe.  The world has enough of those.  Star Trek has been in my blood since the early 1970s.  I was a first gen viewer of Star Trek: The Animated Series.  In middle school I could name all 78 episodes of the original series (The Cage had not been formally canonized yet), tell you the plot, and name the guest actors.  I had hundreds of dollars of Star Trek books.  I didn't cosplay, and couldn't afford to attend the early conventions, but I was as best a Trekkie as I could be.  That should give you an idea of how badly I feel let down. 😞

SNW is pretty good from what I've seen, has introduced Uhura and Kirk as well-rounded characters (though JTK is off to one side at this point). AM and his fabulous hair show up well in the lead, and there's a fine supporting cast that the writers aren't afraid to kill when necessary (eg: Hemmer). Speaking of which, they play around with two classic pieces of lore - the Gorn get a fairly nasty upgrade, and Balance of Terror does the same for the Romulans. Also, were I younger, I would be attempting to date Ortegas. But probably both of us too self-doubting to do anything...

If I've had a gripe so far, it's that they just had to have a comedy cosplay episode (which the cast clearly had an awful lot of fun doing, but felt a little early to let them indulge), and next season involves a Lower Decks crossover episode, with Quaid and Newsome in live-action. Frakes is directing, so it should be at least done well, but...?

Not sure what happened to the Section 31 series that was mooted with Michelle Yeoh, but she's been everywhere all at once lately. Oh, and they should call it Dark Matters.

(Which is both accurate, foreboding and a neat physics-y joke.)

Oh, and if I had a gripe about Picard... there's so much fanservice rammed in and frequent deus ex lore-ia moments that it starts to get in the way of proper storytelling, but the asteroid to the FACE moment definitely worked. Which, in itself, may have been a nod to its distant cousin Galaxy Quest.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...Speaking of which, they play around with two classic pieces of lore - the Gorn get a fairly nasty upgrade, and Balance of Terror does the same for the Romulans.

That's actually a huge turn-off for me, and goes back to the point I made about a genuine lack of care about the source material.

Gorn:  Yet another redo on the species?  Okay, first, I understand and accept that it was necessary to update them from The Original Series (TOS).  Roddenberry had a shoestring budget and a tight deadline, and technology could not portray what was probably needed at the time. So they weren't portrayed in Deep Space Nine, though it was mentioned that they were playing baseball with the Federation, having made peace with them.  That implies they're roughly humanoid still.  Then they're given a visual overhaul for Enterprise, and it was glorious, if a little disconcerting that they didn't look close to the TOS version.  They were more animalistic as well, but not terrible.  Then we got the Altered Universe versions first in an unused clip in the movies, which returned to a humanoid look, and second in the Star Trek video game.  The game couldn't decide on one look, and instead went for several.  They were a bit like the Enterprise Gorn in framework, but again, very visually different with a lot more spikey bits.  And they're more animalistic than either of the previous versions.  Star Trek Online got into the act and their Gorn return to the humanoid look, but add a crocodilian face.  Now I'm hearing that they've been redone yet again, and I'm seeing it too, as I went and looked at a "making of" video.  They do look a bit more like the Enterprise version, but there are still notable changes.  Based solely on that video, so I may be mistaken, they sound like Alien xenomorph wannabees. 

I'm very annoyed at one comment on the video delivered by the co-showrunner/executive producer who said "What I like about the Gorn is that they are not every other iteration of representation of the human 'other' in alien skin. They're evil."  Two issues with that:

1.) It is canonically established by episodes in The Next Generation, that the reason there are so many humanoid species in the galaxy (and possibly beyond) is that there was a progenitor race that seeded their DNA into the evolutionary matrix of planets around the galaxy.  This means, in Star Trek sense, that even humans are not the template, but are a primate species with the DNA code of the Progenitors.  All humanoid species arise because of this.  They don't all have to be mammalian.  The Gorn were seen as one of these, as were other reptilian races such as the Cardassians or the Reptilian Xindi.  With the Progenitor code affecting the outcome of planets, multiple intelligent descendant species could arise on the same planet.  Earth had two, and oh hey, the first one was reptilian, not primate.  The Xindi had six.  At least one other planet has been portrayed with these multiple variants of the Progenitors.  The derogatory comment about "every other iteration" has no merit in Star Trek canon.

2.) The Gorn were hostile, not evil.  From their first appearance it was shown that their aggressive behavior was because they felt violated by the Federation.  In Deep Space Nine, they're playing baseball with humans.  They're not evil.  Vicious in warfare, yes, evil no.

Having so many interpretations of the Gorn leads to a problem: if viewers don't recognize the reptile, and it looks menacing, it becomes natural to assume its a Gorn.  If you really want an evil, vicious, different looking reptile in your show, the galaxy is a big place.  Why not just create a new species and run with it.  The Gorn are not the only reptiles in canon.

One other thing:  Kirk would not have stood a chance on his own on a planet with no obvious weapons against an adult of this version of them.

A few of the many faces of the Gorn:

Spoiler

image.png.9102a0f12d0d52b6730938e062c9d48e.png

I'm confused by the "Balance of Terror" reference, and more confused when I went looking for answers. 

Spoiler

Did the timeline permanently change?  Why is Pike going against Romulans in what appears to be a redo of the story?

EDIT:  I should point out that in Star Trek there really should be only two times that a species gets a redo: 

1) The Great Bird, Roddenberry, wanted to redo it.  In nearly all cases, this was because of budget concerns in the original series.  The Klingon look changed in The Motion Picture because Gene finally had a budget for good prosthetics.  Romulan changes were similar.

2) The look changes because it really did need a one-time makeover, and Roddenberry had never gotten around to it.  The Gorn fit this bill.  In such a case though, the species should not be changed so much that they're not recognizable, and that they function differently.  Fast Gorn that are not humanoid is exactly what I'm pointing out.  If Kirk without weapons on a desert planet could not outrun or match them in fighting, they shouldn't be the final design.

I will accept a 3rd, reluctantly:  Returning to the original series look.  This worked for both Deep Space Nine and Enterprise when stories were crafted around Klingons with the Original Series look.  In context, it works well.  But with 2009's Star Trek, the future Romulans returned to the unmodified forehead look.  This made little sense because there was no explanation like the virus that affected Klingons.  Hence my reluctance.  It was still an Roddenberry-authorized look, just without context.  On the plus side, they could wiggle their eyebrows.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just need to get this off my chest because . . . just ugh.

The existence of Section 31 is the antithesis of what Star Trek was supposed to be about and it sickens me that it is embraced like it is and that it is going the get a movie.

Thank you.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

I just need to get this off my chest because . . . just ugh.

The existence of Section 31 is the antithesis of what Star Trek was supposed to be about and it sickens me that it is embraced like it is and that it is going the get a movie.

Thank you.

Full disclosure: I do like Section 31, or I should say, I like the Deep Space Nine version.  I've no idea what the current version is like.

That said, I understand what you're saying.  Section 31 first appeared after Gene Roddenberry's death, though the broad universe had been building that way for longer, revealing secret organizations within multiple major powers.  Largely, the people that inherited Star Trek felt the need to re-establish, what they and many fans perceived to be, some balance to the franchise.  Gene had been pushing his utopia ideas to such a point that by time of The Undiscovered Country, even late into the process, he was submitting proposed changes to the script that his heirs felt would render the result unappealing to the public.  Or at least, that's how I heard it. 

Deep Space Nine was a decision to test the mettle of the Federation utopia ideals by placing the story on the edge of the Federation, but in the center of both a strategic hot spot and vastly different ideological empires.  Section 31 was born, story-wise, into this.  DS9 has often been called "gray Trek", but it's not, on the grayscale, "black Trek".  The producers were trying to show that, yes, the Federation is a utopia, but unlike it's widely-held belief, namely that it had achieved everything, it actually still had a ways to go.  It's ideals needed to be propped up for a time.  Time as in centuries.  Within the scripts themselves it was revealed that Section 31 members themselves understood that what they did wasn't ideal, but they saw it as necessary, as did the writers of the Federation constitution, until as such time as those utopian ideals had found a way to defensively coexist without violence in the face of the aggressive behavior of all who bordered them, tried to invade them, or tried to undermine them. 

Not trying to change your mind or combat you on it.  Just putting it out there why there will always be at least two different factions of viewpoints on what Trek should be about.  I say "at least" because other challenges have arisen over the years.  The 2009 movie Star Trek highlighted discussion on another such dichotomy: exploration vs. "pew pew".  Personally, I've always felt that good Trek is a balance between those, but there is polarization in the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Not trying to change your mind or combat you on it.  Just putting it out there why there will always be at least two different factions of viewpoints on what Trek should be about.  I say "at least" because other challenges have arisen over the years.

I hear you mate.  The nice thing about the utopia of Roddenberry is that you can respect what others have to say.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, High_Beam said:

I wonder if they are going to go in the direction of Section 31 being a "necessary evil", "right all along", or actually have the guts to show that they truly are evil and counter to everything Starfleet and the Federation stands for, with their plans ultimately being undermined by the valiant efforts of professional, optimistic, and morally upstanding Starfleet officers & crew...

5 hours ago, biostem said:

I wonder if they are going to go in the direction of Section 31 being a "necessary evil",

This is a normal moral justification for dark ops, both real and fictional, to which my normal rejoinder is "necessary for who?"

Are these actions genuinely necessary to save lives and preserve peace, are they rooting out corruption (real or imagined), are they a power grab, or the accumulation of power and influence for S31 itself?

I don't think you can do truly grimdarkjusticevengeanceNOPARENTS Trek, or a space version of RABBIT/HOLE, and I'm not sure I'd watch it if they did - certainly not shelling out for P+.

You could throw them a lot of the moral quandaries that Sisko went through.

Incidentally, this may not be classic lightside Trek, but damn if it's not one of the finest speeches and fourth-wall breaks that's ever been done on telly.

Sir Pat was probably jealous.

• Thumbs Up 2

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

10 hours ago, biostem said:

I wonder if they are going to go in the direction of Section 31 being a "necessary evil", "right all along", or actually have the guts to show that they truly are evil and counter to everything Starfleet and the Federation stands for, with their plans ultimately being undermined by the valiant efforts of professional, optimistic, and morally upstanding Starfleet officers & crew...

The question is a good one, but it needs to go further:  it has to be clear if all of Section 31, for all time is truly evil, or if portions or all of it corrupted over time to truly evil, and if portional, is there a self-righting faction?

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

You could throw them a lot of the moral quandaries that Sisko went through.

Incidentally, this may not be classic lightside Trek, but damn if it's not one of the finest speeches and fourth-wall breaks that's ever been done on telly.

Sir Pat was probably jealous.

One of the finest Star Fleet officers, but ultimately of a heart of Bajor and the Prophets.   I agree, one of the best speeches in all of Star Trek.  Sort of the dark side counterpart to Doctor Who's Twelfth Doctor's anti-war speech.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

New SNW trailer: 

whadda we think of the style and how it fits expectations?

Hmm...visually, it's stunning.  I think I can accept the look of the command deck.  Roddenberry and Matt Jeffries went for the best they could pull off with the technology and the budget for the time, both in the TV series and for the refit in The Motion Picture.  I can only speculate, but I think they'd be pleased with the look. 

I do find the amount of space in the ship to be very surprising.  The OG ship was built for a compliment of 200 or so, and was deliberately kept to relatively tight spaces, both to reflect the tight spaces of a naval ship of the 20th century and to show the "cost"/effort needed to create a starship (there were only 12).  ("Cost" as Roddenberry had ideas about a currency-free society, but there's still ways to cost.)  Just looking at Spock's cabin, there appears to be loads of space, something akin to executive cabins on board Picard's Enterprise-D. The shuttlecraft interiors look significantly expanded too.  Even DS-9's runabouts were not so roomy. (Oh, and did you notice the shuttles chairs are not bolted down?)  I do hope that's not a 10-Forward at 0:16, but a bar on a space station.  If a 10-Forward, that again would violate the limitations of the OG Enterprise, and fall in line with the comfort-stylings of the Enterprise-D, or the alt-universe Enterprise, which looks different due to radical design contamination from studying scans of the future Romulan craft.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to...

Spoiler

...new James Kirk.  The idea of a dark-haired Kirk is strange.  They couldn't dye the actor's hair?  I may be mistaken, but I could have sworn that Kirk was still a lieutenant on board the USS Farragut at the time, facing down a vampire cloud.  But then, he did know Pike by first name in "The Menagerie".  I'd always assumed a friendship had been struck when Pike handed the captaincy over to Kirk, but I guess this way works as well.  I wonder if he's temporarily assigned to the ship.

I'm guessing there's a time distortion/alternate universe in play here that I've not heard of, because in the Original Series the Feds and the Klingons are in the middle of a dragged-out war running cold to hot often until the Organians intervened.  Klingons  wouldn't be standing around drinking blood wine with a Vulcan, and they certainly wouldn't have crested foreheads at this point and time.  Both DS-9 and Enterprise confirmed that.

Spock is by far the weirdest bit of this.  Is he scarfing York Peppermint Patties again or something, because he does not feel like Spock at all.  I know that some writers, noting that Leonard Nimoy had Spock smile in "The Cage" (the character was still in development), have interpreted this to mean that Spock explored his human nature for a time during Pike's captaincy, but this is taking it to another level, especially the cringingly-awkward captain's chair command.  His hair is weird, too. 

Who's the lady in white?  I assume white means medical.  Is that this show's Nurse Chapel?  Is that...is that Dr. M'Benga fist-bumping with her?  Ohhhh, yeah!  He was cool in TOS, and woefully under-utilized.  Definitely a plus in my book.

Despite the concern about Spock's room size, I like the look of it: clean, spartan, and with recognizable iconic possessions prominent.  I appreciate that he's got the Vulcan lyre.  Kudos for putting that in. 

I take it that is Lt. Uhura at the communications station?  If so, please writers, give her more to do.  She doesn't need to romance Spock to do more (though I'm not opposed to that alt-universe relationship).  Some of the novels explored her life quite beautifully.  The Tears of the Singers comes to mind.

I appreciate that some of the shots of the ship are taken at angles never used in the original series.  Everywhere is "up" in space.

• Like 1

New SNW trailer: 

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

MO every attempt at humor in that clip fell dead flat, and this alleged Kirk resembles Chandler from "Friends" rather than the OG Kirk.

It’s… not a great selection in there. Even the revolving-door gag manages to annoy canon heads AND not be funny. Slightly better:

”Surely you’ve seen these before?”

”Not in Starfleet.”

”But you’re from Earth.”

”I’m from Iowa. This is alien tech.”

The pop song over the trailer also manages to annoy me (I refuse to recognise the existence of any pop after 2005). Not necessary.

But my girls Ortegas, Uhura, and yes, Chapel are up there. And yes, they gave Uhura a lot more to do in the first season, including a key episode drawing on her musical and alien comms skills. and a decent arc about learning to fit in and feeling worthy.

Officers’ quarters do look roomy enough to be TNG honeymoon suites. If there’s a “more realistic” take, it’s probably more Lower Decks’ racks and shared facilities for most everyone other than Pike, the XO and maybe Chief Engineer. It’s not a bad choice dramatically either, because that enforced lack of privacy leads to all different interactions.

Also, I’m now gonna call Kirk & La’an Chandler and Monica, because that fits. 🤣

Oh, and in CGI, you can get any angle you like. For TOS, it’s how long Bob the cameraman can crawl across the floor without his back acting up.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/20/2023 at 2:40 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

”I’m from Iowa. This is alien tech.”

De-italicize Iowa and drop the last sentence, and I could believe it's Kirk.  As confident and swaggering as he could be, he also had a way of muddling through awkwardness by trying to ignore it.  It's subtle, but it's there; the movie "The Voyage Home" is full of it.

Not to harp on this as the curmudgeon that I definitely am, but I watched the reboot movies (even the gods-awful "Into Darkness") almost exclusively because Chris Pine and Karl Urban did a great job capturing the mannerisms of their characters.  They did their homework, and it showed, and so I stayed to watch.

I'm not seeing that here.  Instead, I'm hit in the face with the nonsensical line "I'm from space."  It would have been funnier and more Kirk-like if La'an had gently guided him through the door, with Kirk doing his best not to look embarrassed.

This one little scene is telling me that the actor isn't playing Kirk, and the writers aren't writing Kirk.  Thus, I can't help but ask the question that's too often been asked, "who is this show for?"

Anyway, exiting rant mode.

Edited by TheOtherTed
Edited to say I'm exiting rant mode. There, I've said it twice.
  • Thumbs Up 1