Love DS9, almost as much as the original series.  Sisko's "Saint in Paradise" speech is probably my favorite to quote, and I loves seeing humanity through Quark's critical eyes.  In many ways, I think the two shows are closer to each other than any other of the series.

• Like 1

I love TOS, TNG,  and DS9 (I thought the concept was so anti-trek, at first.  A static space station.  No roaming ship, seeking out and exploring new worlds.  Strangely, it quickly won me over with it's wonderful characters and storylines and mix of pathos and action.  It's now my favorite of the treks).  Voyager was a strange one for me.  Overall, I didn't care for the storyline and series but I positively loved most of the characters.  Hated Enterprise, at first (especially that abominable theme song) but then warmed to it later.

I haven't seen Discovery, so I can't comment.  I have seen the new klingons, which look positively idiotic to me.  I'm unable to even think of them as klingon.  Maybe that will change, if I actually watch the show.  I haven't seen that new trek cartoon either.  The concept sounds a bit ridiculous, to me, but I'll probably give it a chance some day.

There's so much good television these days, though, who has time to watch it all?  

DS9, Season 1, Episode 19 - Duet.

This is when I fell completely in love with the show.  This episode.

Summary follows:

Spoiler

A Cardassian arrives on the station, seeking treatment for a rare illness.  When Kira learns of the illness, she has him arrested and proceeds to question him about how he acquired it, eventually outright accusing him of being the Butcher of Gallitep, a Cardassian war criminal who was responsible for hundreds of Bajoran deaths.  As the episode progresses, new information comes to light, and he is discovered to be a simple clerk... a man who wept at the screams of the Bajorans as they were worked and beaten to death, and who adopted the identity of the war criminal in order to be executed by Bajor, so Bajorans could move on and Cardassia would have to admit that it was responsible for atrocities.

Kira decides to release him, and even befriends him.  As she's walking with him to his departure point, another Bajoran murders him.  Kira, horrified, looks up and demands, "Why?!"

"He's a Cardassian," the killer sneers.  "That's reason enough."

"No it isn't!", Kira snaps.

And the look on Kira's face just after she spoke those words... shock at having defended a Cardassian; realization that even "the enemy" are people, and all people aren't alike; loss and grief...

All of that in that one scene, that one look.

I was hooked at that moment.  The acting, the character development, the intensity of the stories... DS9 did everything right.  It didn't always have great writing, amazing acting, perfect stories, but it was always better than anything else that was on.

And no, it wasn't Roddenberry's Trek.  Roddenberry's Trek portrayed people as perfect most of the time, and as inspiring as it might have been, it's hard to see ourselves in those shoes.  We aren't perfect.  We aren't angels.  We can't relate easily to that.  DS9 showed people as they were, and as they wanted to be (Roddenberry's idealistic representation), without glossing over the flaws and character defects, and that made it accessible to everyone.  It made it relatable.  It was honest about people.  It acknowledged that people are flawed in so many ways, but it also showed that in trying to meet that ideal, in struggling with ourselves, with our demons, with others, and constantly trying to meet expectations we know we can't hope to achieve, that's when we become better people.  That's DS9.  That's what made it the best Trek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, most of the episodes revolving around the Cardassians were pretty solid.

Although, in the finale, the battlecry of the Cardassian freedom fighters did feel a extremely rushed in its delivery, and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

But then I remember all the good times, like when Garek's implant started to malfunction, or Dumar stopped drinking so much and decided to get his life sorted, or when Dukat absolutely lost his mind.

I am glad I have my two parental units ( @VileTerror and @Luminara ) here to reminisce and remind me of all the things I loved about all the Treks.

If it weren't almost January, I would watch through them all again.  January is spoken for.  February isnt long enough for ALL the Trek.  Gotta brainstorm this.

*wanders off thinking of all the spectacular actors who really brought those perfectly imperfect characters to life for her*

• Thanks 1

To me, DS9 jumped the shark when the Dominion War started up.  My favorite DS9 moment is still Sisko punching out Q.

I haven't seen Discovery yet, but I agree with Grindingsucks about the Klingons' new look. My only experience with that version so far is a few missions in Star Trek Online. As an alien race they look cool, but just not Klingon.

The show I disown is ENTERPRISE. Cannot be canon, unless its canon to NuTrek. Too many things in it contradict things that had already been established. Categorizing the entire series as Riker fanfic would not be out of the question.

Edited by BlackenBlue71
  • 3 weeks later

For me its still fun to watch the old Space Seed episode then immediately watch Wrath of Khan.

For me Voyager was too much, Enterprise felt like a repair attempt. 

The Picard series, only think I liked was that it dealt with a certain character and gave them a better resolution then Nemesis.

The reboot movies: mainly just action movies with Trek characters in them. Though it was fun to see Spock cut loose and go after Khan.

10 hours ago, Voltor said:

For me its still fun to watch the old Space Seed episode then immediately watch Wrath of Khan.

Whenever anyone asks why I hated "Into Darkness," I ask them to re-watch it after watching these two.  Khan was my hero among villains.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

Whenever anyone asks why I hated "Into Darkness," I ask them to re-watch it after watching these two.  Khan was my hero among villains.

Recreating and reversing the classic death scene was dumb, imo.   But Spock needed motivation to go after Khan.

Also I always smile at Nimoy's line "I took a vow to never give you information to change your destiny, it is your path to walk and yours alone. That being said..............."

Only Khan could make Spock reconsider non-interference.  

In the Shatner -verse novel The Return, Spock was going through Kirk's file of enemies to  and trying to compile a list of those with the means and motivation to wait for any return of Kirk that would steal his body from Veridian 3.   Ryker pointed at the list and said "Khan's dead"  Spock responded "I know." But didn't take him off the list.

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, TheOtherTed said:

I really struggled to like "Into Darkness" but ended up hating it.  So many points of issue, but one could have been corrected by adding a simple line:

white guy Khan:  "Admiral Marcus had me surgically altered and gave me a generic name so that no one with any knowledge of Earth history training would recognize me."  I mean, think about it:  if we have pictures of Gabriel Bell in the online textbooks (DS9), pictures of the rulers of half the planet would have been all over the future web.  I never met Napoleon, yet I know exactly what he looked like through numerous pieces of artwork.  Yet no mention is made of why Khan isn't recognized, nor why he went from Indian to British Caucasian.  One simple line.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, Apparition said:

ViacomCBS announced last month that there are two new Star Trek films in the works.  One of which will be written and directed by Noah Hawley, who is the creator of the Fargo and Legion television series.  It has been assumed that Noah Hawley's Star Trek film will be a continuation of the Kelvin Timeline from the prior three Star Trek films, but now it appears that it may be a second reboot of the franchise.

I certainly like Noah Hawley's take on Star Trek, but I'm not sure how well that will translate to a feature film in this day and age of the modern spectacle.  Nevertheless, I'm curious.

Okay, I'm confused.  I know Viacom split Trek ownership to both CBS and Paramount.  But I thought they had worked it out that Paramount would handle the movies and CBS would handle the TV shows.  Now ViacomCBS is making the movie announcement, but Hawley (in his statement the OP quoted) is in talks with Paramount?  Sorting these guys out is starting to give headaches.

Edited by Techwright