The bugs you remember (fondly or otherwise)

Greycat

Just because mention of showing up in someone else's mission brought this to mind.

Over all the time we've had COH (live and here,) which ones stick in your mind? (I don't mean exploits like monkey farms and such. I mean actual bugs.)

The one that brought this to mind:

Newspaper missions. If you held on to them when a new issue dropped, especially as a lowbie, you could head into the mission only to find that "skullcracker" or whatever the boss used to be had turned into BOSS_NAME - and in my experience, was usually a highlevel storm elemental.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

A bug that's still in the game to this day thanks to the ragdoll physics is when you Knockout blow an enemy and their head gets stuck in the ceiling so they dangle there like a punching bag whilst you wail on them. Love that bug since it sort of fits super strengths and the comic book theme.

• Like 3

Actually made a character based around a Costume Bug. If you selected " Flack Jacket " for upper body, then hit the left button for selections it turned your torso transparent. I used this for Crimson Cage, ( Krymsun ) my Peacebringer, Who was Unable to properly bond with a Human, so survived by being sealed in an energy field generating armor. Won a few costume contests with that one.

• Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I remember being teleported into the "Matrix Room" under the Arena buildings during the beta playtesting. That was pretty fun.

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

Do I sound like a twink because I miss the bug where single target tanker attacks used to work on stacked up mobs? To properly date this one, it was a hell of a thing to herd up much of a map of wolves into a dumpster, and pop them with energy transfer, only to kill yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the issues I recall getting a lot of comments on the Legacy forums was when the devs did a minor change in bases and suddenly base turret were attacking everyone regardless.

My personal favourite though was in AE. When using the floating CoT island map, if you fell or jump off the island you suffered 45mil in damage before TP'ing back up to the island. This only occurred in AE, the same map used during the normal CoT mission did not cause the same damage.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Minor in the grand scheme, but there are some pairs of mobs scattered about, Family I think, where one is straddling the other punching him. For a long time there was a positioning bug where the straddling one would be perpendicular and to the side of the lower one. The net result of this is that it looked like the guy doing the punching was hitting the other guy in the balls - forever. Gave me a laugh every time I saw it.

There's a GIF of this bug that someone posted a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

The old days where mobs had no collision with each other.  You could literally herd up hundreds, pull them around a corner and they'd all jump into the same exact spot.  Hit them with a heavy single target attack and you got ALL of them.  This lasted at least until issue 5; I know I used that tactic at the tail end of issue 3 and all of issue 4.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

17 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

There was a bug which caused Rikti drones to explode 10 times when killed. Made the LGTF look like a Michael Bay movie on the fourth of july!

I think it was only like three times? but yeah, I loved that.  I generated a quick AE mission with a map full of nothing but drones (oops!  all drones!) to fully enjoy it.  I think it only lasted like two weeks before they fixed it and, because AWE was still fairly new and people used to run story missions (you know, back before the dialogue bug broke them), I got about 32 plays out of it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

18 hours ago, Marine X said:

Actually made a character based around a Costume Bug. If you selected " Flack Jacket " for upper body, then hit the left button for selections it turned your torso transparent. I used this for Crimson Cage, ( Krymsun ) my Peacebringer, Who was Unable to properly bond with a Human, so survived by being sealed in an energy field generating armor. Won a few costume contests with that one.

I knew of that one but they fixed it before I got a chance to use it.  There was also one that made a character's (I think) left hand similarly invisible, something to do with choosing "beast" gloves option.  That only lasted about five days, which gave me a chance to make a Dual Pistol character with only one hand, so his other pistol floated in the air when he used it.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

33 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Gauntlet Bugs. They plagued Tankers for many issues.

You sure?  I never heard anything about them back in the day that I can revall, not like that.

Go have fun!

2 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

You sure?  I never heard anything about them back in the day that I can revall, not like that.

There was one that made all Tanker attacks miss due to it for months on live. That one was my favorite...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

6 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

There was one that made all Tanker attacks miss due to it for months on live.

For a Tank/Brute guy, It took this for me to mothball my crew for a while and get a Controller to 50, lol.

• Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

1 minute ago, Marine X said:

For a Tank/Brute guy, It took this for me to mothball my crew for a while and get a Controller to 50, lol.

It was amazing how they let that bug go to live for months, but killed to Gauntlet AoE bug after just a couple of days on test. I am glad that Captain Powerhouse remembered it and incorporated a portion of it into the Tanker Changes.

• Like 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

How about cross-map bugs? Only one I can think of let you fly... I think it was from the edge of the PI map to Talos. Or maybe it was the other way around. Had to find the specific spot, though.

(I think I had gotten outside the map a time or two, too...I seem to remember floating buildings beyond the War Walls.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There used to be a bug with inspirations not lasting the full duration, sometimes even dropping off after only 10 seconds. 

I don't remember if it was the first time I tanked for a Hami raid, but this bug happened to me after popping an EoE and going in to grab aggro. Long story short, I died fast. 

This was on red side and at the time everyone was using WP Brutes to tank, while I decided to use the superior Dark Armor. I remember having to explain to 40+ people on Ventrilo that it was just a bug and totally not my Brute...I'm not sure how many people actually believed me. However, the raid went fine afterwards. 

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

How about cross-map bugs? Only one I can think of let you fly... I think it was from the edge of the PI map to Talos. Or maybe it was the other way around. Had to find the specific spot, though.

(I think I had gotten outside the map a time or two, too...I seem to remember floating buildings beyond the War Walls.)

Moving beyond the edge in PI would take you to Talos; I was never sure if it was a bug or intended and it didn't affect much.  Frankly I don't know if it still exists or not, and it wasn't a specific spot, anywhere along the west side of the zone would work.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

In the I12 beta (the one that introduced widows and spiders) Indomitable Will was bugged and gave you a massive heal over time (or was it regeneration) boost to the point where you could toggle on that one power and then go fight +4/+5 enemies completely unslotted and survive.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

40 minutes ago, macskull said:

In the I12 beta (the one that introduced widows and spiders) Indomitable Will was bugged and gave you a massive heal over time (or was it regeneration) boost to the point where you could toggle on that one power and then go fight +4/+5 enemies completely unslotted and survive.

Willpower in beta had a bug where the +resistance (to all) wasn't flagged to ignore external buffs. This meant that +damage effects (like, for example, Fury on a Brute) increased the resistance.

The set worked much better on Brutes than Tankers.

Isn't there a too much accuracy bug that where if we have too much accuracy we actually miss. I have some stalkers that would swear to this.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just now, Troo said:

Isn't there a too much accuracy bug that where if we have too much accuracy we actually miss. I have some stalkers that would swear to this.

I see 'you had a 95 percent accuracy and rolled a 99' with the sort of frequency of 99s I would love in 'roll for loot' games.