MMORPG with similar combat to COX

KaizenSoze

I think it's important to try other games from time to time. If for no reason, but remind myself why I love COX.

After trying several free to play games on Steam. What is lacking in the other games is the combat system.

I have yet to find another MMORPG with the same sense of physicality.  Things that are punched go flying some direction, blasts seems to have weight, there is a lot of positioning.

Is there any MMORPG with the rag doll style physics of COX?

I predict any attempt to answer this question will be quickly assaulted by members of the community explaining how wrong the post is.

For example...

Champions Online's combat system is very similar.   It even has many nearly identical powers.  I basically copied my keyboard setup from here, to there, and back. again.

• Haha 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

While this game was live I would always run into a wall of choreography in team related events in other MMOs that would send me running back here.  Elaborate multi-stage encounters where you constantly needed to be aware of some floor circle or blinking light, which was the sign to drop whatever it was you were doing and go do something else.  The cat-herding required by these encounters sent people to online voice chats -- then it was Ventrilo -- to keep everybody on the same page.  In some stages it was absolutely vital for the success for somebody to do something, but since I was melee DPS that never was me.  Tanking was never fun in those games, I learned: difficult to generate aggro, inadequate armor, needing a healer to prop you up. 

These mechanics typically sent me running home in anger and frustration.  Until I had no home to go back to, at which point I slowly lost interest in online gaming. 

My point is that no other game really has what CoH has. 

• Like 3
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

The only one that I stuck with for any length of time was Secret World/Secret World Legends. The story is pretty good and the play was acceptable, although, I do miss the time spent in Fusang on the latter incarnation.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I spent a fair bit of time with Guild Wars 2. I played the original a lot before I ever tried CoH and had to try the sequel even after CoH was shut down.

Comabt in GW2 is different than CoH but does have a very action heavy feel to, with a sense of weight and with an emphasis on positioning. The Engineer class was my favorite and probably because his skills had the most tactile feel to them. Hammer Guardians were also great. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

The only one that I stuck with for any length of time was Secret World/Secret World Legends. The story is pretty good and the play was acceptable, although, I do miss the time spent in Fusang on the latter incarnation.

Great game 

Never found any teams

That's a big problem with newer MMOs, no teams

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

I have yet to find another MMORPG with the same sense of physicality.  Things that are punched go flying some direction, blasts seems to have weight, there is a lot of positioning.

Is there any MMORPG with the rag doll style physics of COX?

I played TERA for a while, and its Action Combat (which was "new" at the time, although Tabula Rasa did it FIRST with RANGED combat rather than just 30 meters is all you get "melee" combat) was kind of fun to play ... but since TERA is just a Korean grindfest treadmill it failed to hold interest beyond the first few zones of gameplay.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Great game 

Never found any teams

My experience with Secret World was that it was fun solo and teaming in the early game but late game teams were complete gear snobs, if you weren't the equivalent of a 500,000,000 inf build then you were wasting your time trying to team.  It's been years, I only played there for about 5 months after CoH shutdown so maybe it's changed but that attitude really soured me on the game.

The game I lasted the longest with was Star Wars Old Republic.  It was a fun game and the classes were interesting.  Unfortunately it was basically a single player game with some MMO mechanics tacked on... your class missions were forced solo, at least some of the time.  While everything could solo, and most were fairly good at it you always ran into a forced solo mission whenever you started running with a team.

• Thanks 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

I played TERA for a while, and its Action Combat (which was "new" at the time, although Tabula Rasa did it FIRST with RANGED combat rather than just 30 meters is all you get "melee" combat) was kind of fun to play ... but since TERA is just a Korean grindfest treadmill it failed to hold interest beyond the first few zones of gameplay.

Guns in the future will only shoot 90 feet. 

• Haha 1

One reason I went with SWTOR when CoH shut down was that its tab-targeting and trays full of powers on recharge timers was the closest I could find to CoH.

If you've not played it, its worth doing the free-to-play version just for the vanilla level 1-50 fully voiced stories there if you're looking for a change of pace. Beyond that though development slowed to a comparative crawl as what were once eight separate storylines consolidated down to two and then one (recently back to two again) due to EA/Bioware channeling all the profits off the game to whatever their latest attempt at a WoW-killer happens to be.

Its also the last outpost of the old Expanded Universe in that its lore aligns with what is now considered non-canon by Disney; but after Rise of Skywalker is probably the canon of preference for die-hard Star Wars fans as a whole.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

is now considered non-canon by Disney; but after Rise of Skywalker is probably the canon of preference for die-hard Star Wars fans as a whole.

It's kind of sad that out of 9 movies, only 3 of them are particularly memorable ... and those 3 are most memorable in their original form, not the ruination they received some 20 years after their first release (HAN SHOT FIRST!!!).

At this point, you might as well call the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy STAR WARTS since it would at least be truth in advertising ...

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'd also suggest giving SWTOR a try. It's got a huge amount of very well written story to enjoy.

As others have said, though, it is a single-player game in MMO's clothing. It suffers from symptoms that many old MMOs have like obsolete mechanics, a confusing, inflated economy and an elite playerbase.

I really enjoyed the PvP, including the space PvP. I sucked at it, but found it a lot of fun.

6 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Great game 

Never found any teams

I had friends that joined in the original (plus people that I met), do teaming wasn’t an issue. I made friends in Fusang that even brought me into their circle, so teaming was never an issue. In Legends, I never found teams, however, that one was much more oriented to single-player, so I didn’t worry about it. The day that Homecoming came online was the last day that I logged into that game (or any other).

3 hours ago, Redlynne said:

It's kind of sad that out of 9 movies, only 3 of them are particularly memorable ... and those 3 are most memorable in their original form, not the ruination they received some 20 years after their first release (HAN SHOT FIRST!!!).

At this point, you might as well call the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy STAR WARTS since it would at least be truth in advertising ...

Greedo shot first is now Canon. Accept it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

my experience with Secret World was that it was fun solo and teaming in the early game but late game teams were complete gear snobs, if you weren't the equivalent of a 500,000,000 inf build then you were wasting your time trying to team.  It's been years, I only played there for about 5 months after CoH shutdown so maybe it's changed but that attitude really soured me on the game.

Yes, the Elite Dungeon concept really turned me off to the original game. It was my time in Fusang that kept me playing. Secret World: Legends wasn’t CoX, however, the story was enough to keep me rolling through a character for each faction. Up until Homecoming went live, after which, I have not even looked at it.

3 hours ago, Redlynne said:

There were 2 movies.  Then about half a movie followed by a Infomercial for Ewoks Toys.

Then there was a 3 part origin miniseries that got a lot of the Lore Wrong

Then some Fan Fics by JJ Abrams and crew. 

Then finally a kind of cool TV series that could use longer episodes with a B plot, but I'll take it. 

Edited by Haijinx
  • Haha 3