how many badges are in coh?

cparks70402

I've been curious about this myself, most especially if a hard number can be had.  There are variables, I think, like the "Bug Hunter" badge, which was obtainable in the original game if you submitted documentation of a serious game bug and the devs liked your efforts enough to reward you with the badge. I'm not sure that's still being handed out, but if so, it's extremely rare.  There's also the blue/red issue, possibly.  While we can cross the line of hero/villainy,  I think I'd once heard that there were certain side-specific badges that neutralized other side-specific badges.  This was only heard, mind you, so I could be wrong.  There may be other total-count variables I've not heard in rumor.

Go to Badger, create a new character, make sure the filters are clear and the dropdown for badges per page says "All", and then click the checkbox at the top of the list that selects everything currently listed.

The counter will change to say 1530, but if you go to your character list it will say 1532. I'm not sure what the discrepancy is.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I think I'd once heard that there were certain side-specific badges that neutralized other side-specific badges.

Not exactly. There are several badges that have different names depending on whether you're Hero or Villain, and even some with a different name if you started as a Praetorian. Also, there are some badges that you can complete the requirements for, but you won't earn them unless you're the right alignment. However, once you earn them, you'll keep them if you switch back.

There used to be some that you'd lose if you switched side (the ones that give power-granting accolades, IIRC), but I'm pretty sure they were changed before side-switching even left the test server.

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

Go to Badger, create a new character, make sure the filters are clear and the dropdown for badges per page says "All", and then click the checkbox at the top of the list that selects everything currently listed.

The counter will change to say 1530, but if you go to your character list it will say 1532. I'm not sure what the discrepancy is.

The 'Bug Hunter' and 'Flames of Prometheus' badges are special case badges. The way KeyboardKitsune has the Badger site set up at the moment, those two badges count towards your character total but not towards the badge counter on the badge collection page. Thus the discrepancy that you see above.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The current highest amount is 1525, but there's still a few badges that haven't come up yet, such as the some of the Valentines badges and the Nemesis event badge. Some other badges, like the anniversary badges, can only be obtained during the month of May.

At the current moment, if you started right NOW, and somehow got all the currently achievable badges in like, a week, the most you could get is about ~1460, because you wouldn't be able to get most of the Halloween/Winter Event/Valentines/anniversary badges (though some of the winter badges can be bought with candy canes), nor "Until the End of the World" for the 1500 badges badge.

[EDIT] it occurred to me that getting all the day jobs would take longer than a week, but, you get the point!

Edited by EmperorSteele
Spelling, extra factoid
  • Thanks 2

• 3 years later

I've seen a toon with 1600 badges.  He claimed that it was the max.  When I did a search (can't find it now) the max was 1604.  I mentioned this to him but he said that the extra 4 were "pick one."

• Thumbs Up 1

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

12 hours ago, Display Name said:

I've seen a toon with 1600 badges.  He claimed that it was the max.  When I did a search (can't find it now) the max was 1604.  I mentioned this to him but he said that the extra 4 were "pick one."

And then you have the annual badges and anything added to the game that brings a badge with it.  So it's possibly higher now.

Current official number on Homecoming as of the last issue is 1600.

There are a few badges that do not count toward the total such as Bug Hunter. (ATC covers this above)

There will be more added.

3200 hours for Dayjobs, so 19 weeks, 8 hours. If you get your timing perfect.  (Patrol can be gotten during the rest of the collection)

• Thanks 1

There's also a different max badge count depending on whether you're collecting as a gold sider or if you are sticking hero or villain only. 

The four badges that are in the game that don't count towards the total are:

image.png.365b30a32a9d02a214c7e4955a429b81.png April Fools Badge

image.png.3e5795f752df3eee984fd261be6dafb4.pngBug Hunter

image.png.a7f1cccac2bb03326071ba212e5f85e9.png Flames of Prometheus

image.png.2bde02295edce1a21a11f89314f179be.png All the same badge*

V.I.P. / Destined One

Temporal Warrior

Praetoria's Son / Praetoria's Daughter 

image.png.c75a7faf2e57596b81c93e469acb9760.png

Edited by Glacier Peak
Added how it looks in game with one of the non-counted as a title.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 7/14/2023 at 12:27 AM, Display Name said:

I've seen a toon with 1600 badges.  He claimed that it was the max.

He was correct.  My badger has 1600 also.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:27 AM, Display Name said:

Did he Picard it?

Picard Four Lights GIF - Picard Four Lights Star Trek - Discover & Share  GIFs

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:09 AM, Roderick said:

There used to be some that you'd lose if you switched side (the ones that give power-granting accolades, IIRC), but I'm pretty sure they were changed before side-switching even left the test server.

Those were changed back on Live so that if you earned them and changed sides, the respective badge for your new alignment was auto-awarded. This led to several players figuring out which version was quickest/easiest to get and then side-swapping as needed to get the easier version since they would then always have that accolade power regardless of what alignment they decided to settle on or primary. (Not saying that's a bad thing. Just saying what happened. I'm fine with players doing that.)