Sentinel's Inherent Power

Ry

"By carefully striking at their foes, Sentinels work towards creating opportunistic attacks that can weaken their foes or grant themselves a chance to recoup. Any enemy that a Sentinel focuses attacks on will be easier to hit and will suffer an additional 5% damage from incoming attacks. Multiple Sentinels can work together to make this effect stronger. Occasionally, the Sentinel may find an extreme vulnerability in a target that can be exploited to deliver up to 25% additional damage against it for a limited time. Only one such extreme vulnerability may be exploited at a time."

I wont lie folks, I find this inherent pretty underwhelming compared to some of the other Archetypes, and dont get me wrong. I love playing Sentinels. However it relies on multiple Sentinels working on the same target to max its effectiveness to make a single target weaker, which is great if you're killing AVs or GMs as a horde of Sentinels but for every day teaming? Eeh, not so much. My suggestion is simple, lower the 25% additional damage to say.. I dunno., 20% as an example? And make the extreme vulnerability mechanic an AoE. This would vastly help Sentinels be more viable for their respective teams.

Those are my thoughts on the matter anyway, I know a lot of people have spoke about this class and how to make them better, I'm not expecting them to rival Scrappers or Blasters in damage, or be as resistant as Brutes or Tanks any time soon, but I sincerely believe making this power an AoE with a little less additional damage would really work out for everybody.

Edited by Ry
  • Sad 1

It's VERY well known that the inherent for Sentinels is kinda garbage and its been mentioned by the devs that they're going to be looking at Sentinels as a whole in the future. In fact Sentinels themselves suffer from being good solo class but not filling any kind of niche on a team that a blaster (damage) or scrapper (survivability) could already fill, they don't really have a 'niche' as it were. They're already lower damage than blasters but also suffer from smaller AoEs (which makes no sense to me, surely just lower damage would be enough) which makes AoE heavy sets like Assault Rifle feel like complete crap on a Sentinel since it's key attacks are all cones.

• Like 3

I'd love it if they had some sort of debuff unique to them, or -something- to make them stand out. I dont know what that could be, but hopefully the devs will figure it out, no rush though, I'm happy the games up and running and I can RP and team to my hearts content ^-^

Hmm, how about an inversion of Vigilance?   A Sentinel on their own has to focus more of their attention on watching their backs, giving them a defense (and/or res?) bonus.  As allies surround them and preoccupy enemies, they instead are able to focus offense. For each ally nearby, they lose some of the defensive bonus, and instead gain a bonus to damage.

Basically, the crux of the issue is, how do you make Sentinels both awesome for solo, AND have a dedicated purpose in a team, without making them OP?  And the most direct solution is....do something to make their abilities different DEPENDING ON if they're solo or in a team!  I know people don't seem to like stance mechanics, but some ATs already have inherents that depend on the presence or absence of teammates......

EDIT:  Another option, what if either the Sentinel did more damage, and/or applied more of a -res effect, if an enemy was within close range of one or more of the Sentinel's teammates?  Giving them the "opportunity" to land a more accurate or debilitating shot.

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MTeague said:

Until you are all out. of bubblegum. 😁

Is that when the ass-whupping starts?

Because if you're here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and you're all out of bubblegum, there's only one thing left to do 😛

• Like 1