Latex

What is the full story of Praetoria?

@huang3721love that you consolidated all of this!  I tried to incorporate bits we know from the civilians into my timeline - like them knowing about First Ward - but I've never actually bothered to just go out and feverishly click on civs to get all the responses.  In particular I love all of the very shallow knowledge of the Hamidon, and of the environmental effects of the nuclear war: like the civs going "my sister said she saw a Hamidon!" or "I had a nice garden, but it's even nicer now after the Decontamination" or "Clean air, clean water, you wouldn't recognize this place from 50 years ago."  It suggests that peoples' memories of the Hamidon Wars are hazy, indistinct, with enough recollection to point out how it sucked to live in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but with only a dim grasp of why that was the case.  Ditto folks recognizing the military tattoos on the Destroyers and then going 'nah, couldn't be...'

And interesting anachronism: Cole's audience of non-metahuman puppet governors are referred to as Senators in the civilian dialogue, but in Resistance Crusader they're referred to as Magistrates (hence, Magisterum).  I wonder whether the civilian dialogue or the arc was written first, and why they changed the name.

• Like 1

A lot of the dialogue also really corroborates the idea that the state ideology of Praetoria was a form of ecofascism, between citizens speaking glowingly of positive environmental change, the purging and replacement of home gardens, and the government cracking down on rogue farmers because of the threat of 'Hamidon spores.'  Not to mention that ominous line from the one citizen about how they'd 'spit on [the Syndicate] but it's illegal to litter,' making sure to exonerate themselves of the potential thoughtcrime of daring to litter.

Edited by TwoDee
words
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoDee said:

And interesting anachronism: Cole's audience of non-metahuman puppet governors are referred to as Senators in the civilian dialogue, but in Resistance Crusader they're referred to as Magistrates (hence, Magisterum).  I wonder whether the civilian dialogue or the arc was written first, and why they changed the name.

Unless of course there are actually both? Senators being the ones you can "elect", and the Magistrates being a specific "ruling" body, perhaps more like a local town council rather than actual government.

• Like 1

AE Arcs: Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) | Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374)

Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210)

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) | Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642)* | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104)* | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489)*

*Praetorian.

18 minutes ago, Darmian said:

Unless of course there are actually both? Senators being the ones you can "elect", and the Magistrates being a specific "ruling" body, perhaps more like a local town council rather than actual government.

I've been going back through Crusader, so I can dig into it.  I suspect that you're right, that Senators are a faux-democratic elected body of do-nothings, and Magistrates are actual decisionmakers.

I've just run through Crusader myself, right down to setting off the Neutron bomb 🙂  In the midst of researching for a three part AE Resistance arc set.

• Like 1

AE Arcs: Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) | Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374)

Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210)

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) | Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642)* | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104)* | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489)*

*Praetorian.