Discord Weekly Discussion - Ongoing and Updated Thread

GM Miss

I have used Discord.  I find it easy to get lost on it.  Though there is the appeal of its real time nature.

I do like the forums.  This is the 1st time I've found the 'weekly' topic discussion.  It was good to see the overview opinions on the different themes.

Was there a Discord discussion on Energy Melee for Tanks?  (I do like the idea to toggle the animation for ET though I am a pom pom fan myself.).  Is that going to be 'summatively' posted here?

Azrael.

• Retired Lead Game Master
On 9/17/2020 at 12:05 PM, chi1701 said:

Find the Warshade and Peacebringer discussions interesting, both have nearly same inherent, but Warshade needs looking into? 

• A few people mentioned the idea of having the forms act like stances, one increasing dmg while the other increases sturdiness/mez protection. 

Im confused by this, atm, each form comes with their own abilities which are separate from human forms, so triform has access to 2 heals, human and dwarf, would this then be reduced to 1?

It was just an idea someone had to remove forms and make them act as stances. These aren't changes we are making, they are ideas from players on ways to bring life and balance to aspects or powersets of the game. 

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

7 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

I have used Discord.  I find it easy to get lost on it.  Though there is the appeal of its real time nature.

I do like the forums.  This is the 1st time I've found the 'weekly' topic discussion.  It was good to see the overview opinions on the different themes.

Was there a Discord discussion on Energy Melee for Tanks?  (I do like the idea to toggle the animation for ET though I am a pom pom fan myself.).  Is that going to be 'summatively' posted here?

Azrael.

EM was this week, the changes are now up. Feel free to join us in the general discussion section of the forums or in the CoH category in discord for next week! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later

Weekly Discussion 65: Build Your Own Powerset

Spoiler

This contains suggestions from both Discord & The forum weekly discussion.

(Link to the Forum Discussion)

8/23/20-8/29/20

Here is a link to a page I created specifically for this week.

Weekly Discussion 67: Build your own Epic Pool Power

Spoiler

9/6/20-9/12/20

Here is a link to the post I made for this weeks compilation of suggestions.

Weekly Discussion 69: Build your own Patron/Mentor Pool

Spoiler

9/20/20-9/26/20

Weekly Discussion 72: Build your own Power Pools

Spoiler

10/11/20-10/17/20

Here are all the Build your own weeks!

Edited by GM Miss

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
On 10/31/2020 at 4:30 PM, GM ColdSpark said:

Hello Folks!! I'll start a new post here to pickup the logging of the weekly discussion outputs (I'll make a minor edit to Miss' post to point folks to this one going forwards). I'll do my best to capture the common thoughts that came up, obviously for the full discussion you can refer to the forum discussion link for each week (in the spoiler) or search back in discord.

Weekly Discussion 74: UI Suggestions

Reveal hidden contents

October 25th to 31st 2020

Map:

• Keep the zoom level constant in missions
  • Translucency on the map

Window Positions:

• Netgraph Display can’t move
  • Nav window & map to be merged to free up space
  • A snap-to-grid type setup

Visibility:

• Make Health/Endurance/Buff window more eye-catching with more visual cues of impending doom.
  • Linked to the above – more player choice as to which buffs show up
  • The close window buttons being a bit too easy to miss
  • Adding a range indicator

Usability:

• Being able to save setup across characters including window positions would be nice
  • Saving powertray setups (pre-respec for example)
  • A button to “clear all powers from trays”
  • Base storage – being able to move all or change the default type for storage items
  • Being able to lock trays so they don’t accidentally move from tray 1 to tray 9 at an inopportune moment!
  • Stop base storage screens from randomly re-ordering themselves when taking things out/putting in.
  • More power trays please & chat tabs
  • More options to “do all” – e.g. claim all items in mail
  • Enhancement Conversion – change from “In set and out of set” (with a sub menu for Rarity/Category) to 3 radio buttons for In Set, Rarity and Category – with the choice persisted.
  • Speed up the enhancement boosters/catalysts time to apply
  • Some of the text editing fields are a little hit and miss (e.g. bios and AE text), similar issues with numbers in the AH UI
  • Make the powertrays indicate the key bound to the power rather than static to 1-9
  • Give a collapse option in the incarnate power creation screen
  • A new easy way to see influence / infamy
  • Ability to hide/show/filter/sort contacts

Character Creator:

• When a player has selected a piece that has a matching piece in another “slot” put that piece to the top of the list
  • Alphabetize the pieces

General Suggestions:

• Taking a pass over the AH UI to see if it can’t be made a little better (including the search and wrong price issues)
  • Similarly the Arena interface
  • Also the email interface so it is more readable
  • Revamp and combine Contacts, Missions, Clues and Souvenirs so they are connected.
  • Increased support for UHD resolutions
  • A new screen to display and edit binds & macros

Weekly Discussion 75: Vote!

Reveal hidden contents

This week we had a vote, across both the Discord and Forum communitites. Collated results are below and the top 5 will form the basis of our discussions for the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone for participating in the vote, I'm looking forward to the discussions ahead!

A) Noticeably underpowered sets; and what needs an emergency buff?

B) T1 Immobilizes in control sets

C) The Auction House - how to make it better for both new users and experienced ones

D) Mercenaries - Discuss!

E) Design an epic archetype for Praetorian Earth

F) Don't you just hate it when / love it when (with a focus on in game events not powers etc)

G) The pros/cons of making more hard-mode options for existing content vs new zones/missions

H) Incarnate powers, a discussion of ultimate power! (with possible follow-ups to go more specific)

I) Top Powerset Lucky Dip! I'll choose one of the top powersets you previously identified that haven't been covered yet (Darkness Manipulation, Force Field, Assault Rifle, Dark Miasma, Dark Melee, Devices)

J) T9 Lucky Dip! I'll choose one of the remaining T9 areas for discussion: Blaster/Defender/Sentinel/Corruptor Ranged Damage OR Brute/Stalker/Scrapper/Tank Melee Damage OR Dominator Assault & Mastermind

Weekly Discussion 76: Noticeably Underpowered sets. What needs an emergency buff?

Hide contents

November 8th to 14th 2020

Thanks for the great discussion folks - I've tried to capture the most common tactical suggestions below (some are a little bit bigger I grant you)

Thanks to @CrudeVileTerrorfor usefully tallying up the number of times powers came up in the forums - the top 3 seem to be:

1. Assault Rifle
  2. Mercenaries
  3. Stone Armour

And here's some of the general themes (in no particular order)

Mercenaries

Potential de-couple of the medic from the T1, Medic to become the level 18 as a 7th pet, Adjust serum to balance.

Add DR and or stacking damage buffs to Equip Mercenary

Add some traps-type powers to the Spec Ops

Assault Rifle

Adjust the root on tier 9

Drop beanbag and add an Aim/BU equivalent

Increase AoE on M30 and flamethrower

Add incendiary rounds

Change Full Auto to be a rooting toggle with high end usage

Add more "gimmicks" to the attacks to make them more unique

Fire Melee

Boost damage a touch so it performs at a similar level to fire blase

Sonic attack

Increase attack speed to boost dpa

Mastermind Primaries

Balancing pass to even their performance

Force Field

Addition of some +Absorb to the bubbles / Absorb over time

Munitions Mastery

Give LRM some loving (sniper treatment maybe) - Look at Sleep grenades

Mind Control

Make more powers trigger containment (e.g. Fear and Confuse)

Speed up cooldowns on the bigger powers

Stone Armour

Adjust the powers outside of granite to make it less of a one-trick-pony

Remove the -jump but whilst off ground remove the buffs

Regeneration

Add a strong debuff resist to reflect it just healing over things

Bane Spiders

Speed up the animations on blasts a little

Make Shatter Armour crit from hide

Force of Will

Speed up activation times

Electrical Blast

Damage boost for more parity and to allow for the secondary effect being less meaningful in the current state of the game.

Change -end to -recharge to avoid enemies "cheating" the effect

Make the sounds more.... BOOM-y

Super Strength

Remove Rage  and buff baseline damage instead

Claws (on Stalkers)

Give them Spin/Follow-up or some element of AoE

Oh and apparently we need to replace the monorails with Monorail Cat. Gets my vote! 🙂

I would like to say that removing Rage entirely was only suggested by 1 player. Other powers were mentioned more than once like Pain domination but did not make it to this list.

Rage doesn't need removing, just adjusting in my opinion. Plenty of suggestions have been made in other threads.

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well it would seem I was far too late to add my input on Ice Armor, and seeing that Ice Armor is my favorite primary for Tanks, I feel that I could have given great input on the flaws of the set and the bonuses and what I feel could be changed to make it better. I noticed a certain number of players who were giving suggestions on the set either hardly ever played one, or had one at low levels and I fear that their opinions of the set may influence a set that needs more attention than the insight they had to share.

Since that thread is already closed, is there anywhere I can give my views on the set or did I simply just miss out and am now at the mercy of suggestions (which very few were anything I thought would help the set) that were already made?

Also, if we are going to get rid of the graphics of the set (since that was the number one issue people seem to have with it) can we return the original graphics back to the set for those of us who actually loved them? The graphics were already nerfed once, I would for one like to see the old graphics for them return. It shouldn't be hard to do since the original graphics are in the original copy of City of Heroes. I have that copy by the way if you need it, heh.

Rats, I wish I’d known about this thread earlier to throw in my cents. Fortunately Assault Rifle, Stone Armor, and Mercs would’ve been my top 3 anyway lol

• Haha 1

Behold my altitis

Webmistress Shelob - Crab Spider Soldier (50)

Bulldog Palmieri - AR/Devices Blaster (50)

Queen I - Elec/FF Controller (50)

Sir Bedrock - Fire/Stone Brute (50)

Not a fan of replacing electrical blast -end with -rech. There are many suggestions that are superior to outright replacing the thematic element of one set and stepping on another's toes.

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 3

Missing from the week 76 notes are the remarks regarding Kinetic Melee. There were numerous comments indicating that it needs some buffs, including some feedback on how it could be improved (animation times for later tier attacks being too long as the set stands, for example), specifically around page 3/4 of the thread. I think it merits some mention here.

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

• 3 weeks later

Can we add more future topics here?

Because I think it would be cool if we could consider updating some of the ancient TFs.

New Positron 1 & 2 are cool and all, but all the other original Phalanx TFs could use an update, and a reshuffle so they make more sense.

• Penelope Yin should host the Clockwork TF, which should involve the King trying to get back at Blue Steel.
  • Synapse should host the Crey TF.

I'll save other ideas for the future discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

52 minutes ago, Take One said:

Because I think it would be cool if we could consider updating some of the ancient TFs.

New Positron 1 & 2 are cool and all, but all the other original Phalanx TFs could use an update, and a reshuffle so they make more sense.

• Penelope Yin should host the Clockwork TF, which should involve the King trying to get back at Blue Steel.

Posi got rebuilt into two TFs.  Maybe Dr Quaterfield could get the same treatment?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

3 hours ago, Darmian said:

Posi got rebuilt into two TFs.  Maybe Dr Quaterfield could get the same treatment?

Ideally all of them should be rewritten to be shorter, maybe replaced with part 1 & 2 like Posi, but mostly just remove redundant filler missions and stuff.

Actually, each contact could have several shorter unrelated TFs, if one can't be converted into a two-parter.

Edited by Take One

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

• Lead Game Master
On 12/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, Take One said:

If you've got suggestions for future weeks, the best bet is to message me directly and I'll add them to the list for the next time we ask you all to vote on a set of topics

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• 1 month later

The problem with TFs I always found?

Boring.  (Especially the one in the orange dimension which will physically age you.)  Over written.  Over blown.   5 missions is enough for me.  

As it is...'some' team members rush to the end.  To expedite the TF runs.  A choice.  Ofc.  But many do to move things along a bit.  (As in 'get on with it.')

By the time I've done most TFs I've forgotten my name.  I prefer tips by comparison because there isn't the same time lock in.

And I didn't like the 8 man teams either.  A team of 5 would be enough, also.  For me.

Edit them.  Trim them down to size.

Another 'minor' detail.  'How many missions to go now?'

It would be nice to have the mission progress bar for the contacts in blue...segmented or numbered to show how far along the TF you are.  ie. Mission 3 of 5.  

It brings the 'Are we there yet?' out in me.  With the poor team leader needing to know the arc off by heart, from a photo memory or look up the answer on CoH wiki.

Why all the angst re: TFs?  Time commitment.  They are too long for me to get involved in them.  If ten tips gives you 40-50 merits.  Make the TFs 5 missions long and give you have of that.  20-25 merits.

I like the Hamburger format of CoH in general.  To have a more 'pick up and play' version of TFs would be nice.  Maybe have 'eazy' and 'hard' versions.  Or short and longer versions which vary by reward as per the difficulty.  Maybe an option to do a shorter version with less rewards to the equiv' longer version.  Option for a.  Hamburger TF.  vs.  b. War and Peace TF.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Let it out Azrael.  I've waited a long time to get that off my chest.

*Breaths into a paper bag.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

• 1 month later
53 minutes ago, Stryke_Force said:

Have the weekly discussions been put on hold? I've not seen a new one go up since the end of January.

They are for the time being, yes.  Along with new Dev Choices.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Just now, Stryke_Force said:

Thanks, I just hadn't seen an announcement about and was curious.

It's buried about half way down in the last announcement.

• 4 weeks later
On 10/31/2020 at 9:30 AM, GM ColdSpark said:

Assault Rifle

Beanbag does not belong in a blaster set. That is needed for something like Corruptors. Not Blasters. I would say something along the lines of what I've seen ammo types or something to spice it up because honestly. A beanbag does not make sense at all. Maybe with a Longbow Nullfier but if they're gonna be blasters maybe something like an Aim or other wise something of equivalence to take the otherwise useless powers place with something thats actually useful. 

I can never seem to understand what these threads are doing or where to current topic is being discussed.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

34 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I can never seem to understand what these threads are doing or where to current topic is being discussed.

There's no "official" topic at the moment.

OK, thanks.  I just seem to scroll and scroll and scroll, trying to find a recent date...  didn't they use to just sticky these at the top for a week then close them?  Or did we just stop doing them?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

They're on a hiatus (as are Dev Choices and so on) while the Devs/GMs sort stuff out, recruit community members and get their lives together because there's really only 6 of them!

@Clave Dark 5here you go.  

Details a little bit in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1