Archetype that made the worst first impression on you?

DR_Mechano

Tanker/Warshade/Peacebringer - even more so on HC.

Why, I hear no one ask?  Because their usefulness on a team was made less and less on live (IO's and incarnates made it possible for a few Archetypes to fufil the roles these AT played) but given the QoL improvements and 'City of Farming' mentality on Torchbearer it's so much easier to IO and incarnate out a character with an 'uber' build that it's almost laughable.  Who needs a Tanker when so many other AT on the team can stand in the middle of a map and take all aggro and still not die (and often do bloody good damage while they're at it)?  Short version - I really think the Tanker AT needs a very thorough review to make them relevant in the current game (and I'm not sure the intended changes are going far enough).

While I see the greatest strength of WPs and PBs is their versatility, I also see that as their greatest annoyance.  I really don't want to have to manage three forms and all the mechanics that go with it.

11 hours ago, KC4800 said:

I still have never created a dominator. The thought of having to get a power to Perma before it becomes good is just a huge turnoff. 

This isn't really true at all. They're awesome right out of the gate. Non-perma'd Dom'd it up pre-sets for a long time. Solo'd the content on highest difficulty,  PvP'd with 'em successfully as well. 

First bad impression was my Ar/Dark Corr...had a lot of fun with it...but I loathe pets turns out. Still do. On anything....and DoTs

• Like 1

Not counting the "obviously this is not for me" archetypes:

Back at launch: the Controller. Even when hoversniping was a thing for Blasters, there was nothing safer than the Controller. And nothing slower either. The total lockdown and 'arresting' speed was like one of those ultra-tedious days at work where there's nothing to do but your boss is over your shoulder every second of it waiting for you to screw up or slack a bit.

Early Controller was the opposite of a game but later impressions were even worse: between fire monkeys, mass holds and the double-damage inherent, it really felt like rubbing it in for one with Blaster mains.

Homecoming, it's the Sentinel, uncontested. I could understand the lower target caps and damage, but it's just a bit too much of each, and their inherent is only beaten in lameness (and the first-two-blasts forcing) by VEATS... And that's only because VEATS have the weakest most passive one of all.

Sentinel needs something more, a bit. It's giving up too much for the defenses and damage it does do; and once patron pools get tossed in the real melees might have nearly as much area capacity while hitting singles way harder.

5 hours ago, slacktech said:

Tanker/Warshade/Peacebringer - even more so on HC.

Why, I hear no one ask?  Because their usefulness on a team was made less and less on live (IO's and incarnates made it possible for a few Archetypes to fufil the roles these AT played) but given the QoL improvements and 'City of Farming' mentality on Torchbearer it's so much easier to IO and incarnate out a character with an 'uber' build that it's almost laughable.  Who needs a Tanker when so many other AT on the team can stand in the middle of a map and take all aggro and still not die (and often do bloody good damage while they're at it)?  Short version - I really think the Tanker AT needs a very thorough review to make them relevant in the current game (and I'm not sure the intended changes are going far enough).

While I see the greatest strength of WPs and PBs is their versatility, I also see that as their greatest annoyance.  I really don't want to have to manage three forms and all the mechanics that go with it.

Taking the Alpha is not tanking! And CoH isn't all about the endgame. There is plenty of need for tanks in the mid game. In the Endgame no AT is needed.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, slacktech said:

- I really think the Tanker AT needs a very thorough review to make them relevant in the current game (and I'm not sure the intended changes are going far enough).

I Brute a lot more than i Tank.  That si because my playstyle. Not because the Tank is not great at what it does.  The thing is a lot of people do not realize what a Tank does.  Really.  It is a melee Controller with one if the most powerful forms of NPC control in the game.  Played to this strength and in this role there are NONE better.  Shoehorned into a ghetto Brute or Heavy Scrapper and then you start being able to talk about how crappy Tanks are.  They are like a shield. Used correctly you will be ecstatic. Used as a club and you will be complaining about what a horrid club they are. Can we add spikes?  Maybe put a gun on the outside?  How about lasers?   Its a shield. Period

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

Masterminds. I half love and half hate the concept just from the ground up. Then there is the matter of non customizable pets never been brought up before i know.  If you could make the Monarch from Venture Bros or a Necromancer who had ONLY zombies it would help. I do like Robots. 

oh and finally. I really really no really suck at playing an MM. i seem to vaguely recall desperately trying ti get my pets to help me outside Fort Darwin. In my memory they were attacking a manhole cover and i was getting beat down by snakes. Probably just a bad dream. But enough to keep me from going back for more

Masterminds are great and I played them a lot. The changes in the incoming patch will also greatly help. But they are just not made for today's game. Minions slowly following at Sprint speed and arriving once the fight is over or trampling behind as we fly to then arrive panting and happy dragging everything they agroed after them.

21 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Sentinels. Their damage is sub par and some of the powers are exactly the same as others in the set, while some toggles have no animation at all, they also have no snipe which I frown upon. They are an unfinished class missing a snipe and low DPS. No thanks.

Yeah, I played these for months doing tons of different builds. Then I made the mistake of playing different ATs and ha ha, no, just... no.

As for me it must have been a Fire/Martial Dominator. I made it, started soloing. No Containement, no damage, spamming immobilizes and holds and shurikens and argh, nothing died! But then I made a Plant/Psi Dominator a couple months after and it was a hot knife through butter.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Razia said:

Taking the Alpha is not tanking! And CoH isn't all about the endgame. There is plenty of need for tanks in the mid game. In the Endgame no AT is needed.

This is a good point. 

Though I think its not really End game as much as after a certain variable level.

Varying based on opposition group, the amount of support available and at what level your team members start working on IO defenses.

Generally by the mid 30s that point is reached for most teams I think.  Lower for TFs since people tend to play those +0.

3 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Lower for TFs since people tend to play those +0.

People actually complain when I go +1. I say too bad, lucky I'm not going higher than that. I go +1 as a compromise. Otherwise I would go +3 or +2, depending on mob type. Vahz being a +2 for sure, heh  

17 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Lower for TFs since people tend to play those +0.

This kind of explains the "lack of need" for Tanks and Controllers. Of course a defense-oriented AT isn't needed when you're playing at a low enough level of difficulty that you generally don't need all the extra defense. Push that dial up to +3, then up to +4 if you're not getting enough team wipes 😛

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

Minions slowly following at Sprint speed and arriving once the fight is over or trampling behind as we fly to then arrive panting and happy dragging everything they agroed after them.

"It followed me home, can we keep it?"

To try to contribute something besides jokes... for me if I don't enjoy the concept or the company I won't enjoy the character, but if I enjoy either of those enough then the AT doesn't matter. If I need to pick something then I'd have to go with Peacebringers for the worst impression due to the noise, at least until I read about the silence trick on the old forums.

Way back at launch, it was Controller. My very first character. It sounded cool on paper (I liked enchanters in EverQuest which have a similar vibe), but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. It's been long enough I don't remember specifically why I ended up not liking it, but that first impression stuck with me all the way up until last year. Then on a whim I made a new controller. She's now an incarnate, so I guess my perspective changed. 😋

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

On 1/21/2020 at 8:58 AM, Razia said:

First Stalker when Issue 6 hit live. Ninja Blade/Ninjutsu. Felt squishy, of course we did not have IOs. Now I love Stalkers.

Same with Dominators, I thought: "Hey cool, a Controller with Damage". WRONG. Perma Dom changes everything though.

It was this one for me as well the day COV went live. Now, I was a terrible player and will admit it. I thought, "Scrapper!"

Needless to say that didn't work. I understand what a Stalker is now and it just doesn't fit my play style, so I've never tried one again.

I may be misremembering, but I recall trying out a controller around CoH's launch, and just finding the experience horribly unfun;  I would spam the immobilize and single target hold, in a vain effort to defeat minions, (this was before containment, IIRC).  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, SaintD said:

I tried the Kheldians on Live and found them to be beyond pathetic in every way. Damage, resistance, endurance, everything. Wasted garbage of an AT.

I tried a Peacekeeper again here on Homecoming now that I actively powerlevel toons in AE (which I never did on Live). Getting that thing up to 28 on any-AT xp farms was an exercise in utter agony due to how utterly, disgustingly poor the low level powers are on a Kheldian. But, nonetheless, I got there! A shiny, level 28 Kheldian, ready to go!

.....it was still utter, worthless garbage. It isn't just crap, it's insultingly crap. It's auras are the most beautiful in the game and are a fantastic costume in itself when customized, and they're tied to this rank turd of an AT. My first impression was that Kheldians are an utter failpile, and over a decade later, I confirmed it.

This game is free and I still want compensation for every second spent on that heap of shit AT.

You failed at your build then.

A properly slotted human form PB with permanent Light Form granting 85% resists to EVERYTHING, fully capped defenses and several massive quick cool down PBAOE;s (including a nuke every 25s) is god mode in this game.

The only reason I quit playing mine is because it was TOO OP.

Blaster.  The very first toon I rolled, AT chosen based upon a friend's recommendation.  So a glass canon at low level when they're all glass and no canon.  And I'm trying to solo missions in the Hollows, crossing on foot.

It's amazing that I kept playing.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

7 hours ago, Steele_Magnolia said:

It was this one for me as well the day COV went live. Now, I was a terrible player and will admit it. I thought, "Scrapper!"

Needless to say that didn't work. I understand what a Stalker is now and it just doesn't fit my play style, so I've never tried one again.

You should try because I play all my Stalkers like Scrappers now. No Need to slowly open with Assasins's Strike. Just wait until you got Assasin's Focus then hit and and with the ATO you end up in hide again.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:25 AM, DR_Mechano said:

Assault Rifle suffers horrendously on Sentinel thanks to the lower target caps and smaller cones 

I saw blasters and scrappers doing everything I could do but better

What would you expect?  

Blaster blow shit up, excell at burst and sustained damage, incredible AoE and have no status protection.

Scrappers excell at scrapping in melee range, limited AoE/Range, and have armor sets with status protection.

Sentinels are both, status protection with armor sets and pretty decent range even handicapped.  Its capped cause it would be stepping on blasters and may kill the AT as everyone would migrate over to sentinels.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Stalkers.  Back on live, they were like point-blank Blasters, or honey bees:  sting once, then die.  Optimized for (solo) PvP, something I have little or no interest in.  Widows were, IMO, superior in every respect; they had survivability and contributed visibly to teams.  (A full team of VEATS, mixed Widows and Spiders, was actually one of the most brutally effective I ever ran with.)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the version that exists here.

11 hours ago, Grimmly said:

You failed at your build then.

A properly slotted human form PB with permanent Light Form granting 85% resists to EVERYTHING, fully capped defenses and several massive quick cool down PBAOE;s (including a nuke every 25s) is god mode in this game.

The only reason I quit playing mine is because it was TOO OP.

Wow. God mode at level 28? Not sure how to get perma-Light Form at 28, or the nuke, but... perhaps I'm failing at building characters.

Snark aside, the guy said that he quit his at 28. Telling him that he failed at his build and basing it on powers that aren't available at that level is not indicative of careful reading.

35 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

Stalkers.  Back on live, they were like point-blank Blasters, or honey bees:  sting once, then die.  Optimized for (solo) PvP, something I have little or no interest in.  Widows were, IMO, superior in every respect; they had survivability and contributed visibly to teams.  (A full team of VEATS, mixed Widows and Spiders, was actually one of the most brutally effective I ever ran with.)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the version that exists here.

To be fair, this version of Stalkers existed on live, too - it just was much harder to get the ATOs so it was assumed that you wouldn't have them as opposed to the current assumption on the forums that you will. There were several rounds of buffs to get there, though.

Edited by siolfir

20 hours ago, Solarverse said:

People actually complain when I go +1. I say too bad, lucky I'm not going higher than that. I go +1 as a compromise. Otherwise I would go +3 or +2, depending on mob type. Vahz being a +2 for sure, heh  

I hope you put it in your advertising for the TF. About 10% of TF i load into these days i hit the 1st mission and it is +1 to +4. Hmmm news to me. I will usually post something like “are we running at +2?”  If i get the least blow back, lije “well of course”. I quit. Not rage. Just quit. I run a lot of low level TF for merits, badges and char power exploration. The only exception i make is ITF.  That is a known AE type madness magnet. If it is not posted as +level i just roll with it. But anything else I am pretty much out after one question.  

Peacebringers.

Back in the day, you had to get a character to 50 just to unlock them.  Now, the possibility exists that maining a Scrapper ruined me for a lot of things, but after a couple months of work to get my first character to 50, with one of the carrots being unlocking a Heroic Epic Archetype, I was underwhelmed.  They looked SO pretty with their auras and their bubbles, but they seemed to do very little damage, they had special enemies hiding in missions to snipe them to death in a single shot, and they didn't seem as sturdy or as fun as my Scrapper.  It felt like a serious letdown.

These days I read about how awesome they are once built properly, but my brain still always attempts to convince me that all the people claiming that are filthy liars, lol.

36 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I hope you put it in your advertising for the TF. About 10% of TF i load into these days i hit the 1st mission and it is +1 to +4. Hmmm news to me. I will usually post something like “are we running at +2?”  If i get the least blow back, lije “well of course”. I quit. Not rage. Just quit. I run a lot of low level TF for merits, badges and char power exploration. The only exception i make is ITF.  That is a known AE type madness magnet. If it is not posted as +level i just roll with it. But anything else I am pretty much out after one question.  

Other way around. If you want a speed run, say so. I dont feel obligated to tell you that I will be running +1, give me a break.  

Dominators. I did research them before I tried one.

But the whole should I melee or range attack just drove me nuts.

Especially, since doms get are 105% melee and 95% ranged damage.

Also, the weakness before perma-dom.

Plus, the hacky bind scripts to keep hasten and perma-dom up.

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Other way around. If you want a speed run, say so. I dont feel obligated to tell you that I will be running +1, give me a break.  

If you do bot advertise you are running a modified task force or bother to tell me before you lock the team and hit go do not expect me to stay.  I am not captive to your whim.  You advertise Synapse then i join i help you crush it.  If you wanted peeps for a Synapse +1or +4 you are responsible for providing that information. My psychic powers are short one fuse and not working.  

• Like 2